Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 7 also fulfills my plot needs because while its stupid and full of some weird stuff regarding the homeless it is an RPG where I will not be fighting a god or anything by the end. Im here to kick rear end in a section of Tokyo (thats right Yokohama, Im calling you out!) and right some localized wrongs with my fists, clubs, and seemingly bottomless supply of dangerously fizzy champaign.

Once I finish its probably onto FFVIII remake because dammit gamepass I only have so much time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yakuza 7 acknowledges the homeless exist and are people so regardless of any weirdness in that execution its more woke than basically any other video game ever made

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you think you can beat Cold Steel in 3 days, it's free

https://store.steampowered.com/app/991270/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_of_Cold_Steel_III/

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh lol that's ballsy, all Trails games on Steam are actually DRM-free...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh lol that's ballsy, all Trails games on Steam are actually DRM-free...

All three Cold Steel games on PC have been cracked within hours of them being available. They lose nothing by doing this now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question: the PC version of Grandia HD Remaster is on sale on Humble Bundle for $13.99. Should I buy it for PC, or get it on Switch? Asking because I don't know if there's any technical issues between the two versions.

I asked about the remaster a while back, and I was told it fixed some bugs from the original, but it suffers from having ugly, upscaled graphics. With the PC version, I wondered if maybe there was a mod to restore the original sprites and whatnot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you're going to be playing on PC there's pretty much no reason not to just emulate the playstation version. you'll get a free turbo button and savestates to go along with it.

switch version has the obvious advantage of being portable. get it there if you care about that.

E: oh right it did fix the one bug where feena's last spell is practically unobtainable, but that's very minor if you ask me

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I kinda wanna buy Cold Steel III just because it's on sale but I haven't even finished TiTS 3rd yet and maybe it'll be on a cheaper sale by the time I get to it. How often does the games go on sale, anyway?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a really bad port of both games, to be honest. As mentioned the only positive across two games is they fixed Feena's final spell unlock requirement but its not a very useful spell anyway so I don't really think that offsets the mandatory ugly as hell filter put inconsistently on everything in Grandia 1 and slowdown in Grandia 2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I played grandia 2 anniversary when it originally came out on steam and it was completely fine, also how else are you actually playing that on PC?

did they somehow mess it up later or what?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What are some top tier JRPGs from the PS2/GC era? I'm already familiar with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, so if be interested in stuff outside of those franchises.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I played grandia 2 anniversary when it originally came out on steam and it was completely fine, also how else are you actually playing that on PC?

Sorry, referring to the switch version.

Elderbean posted:

What are some top tier JRPGs from the PS2/GC era? I'm already familiar with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, so if be interested in stuff outside of those franchises.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga is the best SMT game except... Raidou Kuzunoha 1 and 2 exist and fuckin rule.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dreamcast emulation is pretty decent these days but yeah the pc version of grandia 2 hd is iirc much better than the switch port

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Skies of Arcadia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hearts was also PS2, those are some fine ones.

For gamecube Baiten Kaitos are the games to get, Skies of Arcadia is also the superior version on gamecube but its, uh, I have mixed feelings about it

For OG Xbox unless you want some turnbased srpg action, there is also the really medicore Sudeki

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Amppelix posted:

if you're going to be playing on PC there's pretty much no reason not to just emulate the playstation version. you'll get a free turbo button and savestates to go along with it.

switch version has the obvious advantage of being portable. get it there if you care about that.

E: oh right it did fix the one bug where feena's last spell is practically unobtainable, but that's very minor if you ask me

I guess I'll just emulate the PS1 version, then.

The fix with Feena's spell I remember being the issue cited last time I asked:

multijoe posted:

It required level 99 in two magic skills rather than than the intended level 35 or so, which was impossible to reach without an extreme amount of dedicated grinding
Barudak makes it sound like it's not necessary to finish the game, but do you need it for 100% completion or something. I figure if anything, I could see if there's some sort of GameShark function in RetroArch to help with that.

Amppelix posted:

I'm curious about this, too, since I have Grandia II Anniversary Edition on GOG.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is no completion tracker in Grandia and the only optional content is completely unrelated to your spell progression. Having or not having the spell doesn't mean anything, a generation of gamers played and beat the game fine without it. Heck, unless you grind spell casts you probably still wont unlock it even at its lower cap. I did considerable spell grinding and got it right near the end.

As far as spells go its basically a gimmick; you disable everyones turns for a short while, your party included, except the caster. They then usually have enough time to squeeze out one free turn before the battle returns to normal. It costs a shedload of resources to cast so the situations where having exactly one more turn at that cost is going to help you is minimal, and to be frank for me at least in the endgame she really wasn't doing much so more of her turns werent super valuable anyway

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 13, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

For OG Xbox unless you want some turnbased srpg action, there is also the really medicore Sudeki

I liked what they tried to accomplish but..yeaaaaaah.

Not quite "RPG" as such but Digimon World 4 is kind of along the lines of the BG Dark Alliance/Norrath games and is fun enough.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

kirbysuperstar posted:

I liked what they tried to accomplish but..yeaaaaaah.

Not quite "RPG" as such but Digimon World 4 is kind of along the lines of the BG Dark Alliance/Norrath games and is fun enough.

I don't know if I was simply an idiot child who missed some basic mechanics but I remember Digimon World 4 starting out pretty hard. I should play it again someday to check if I was just a dumbass or not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sudeki is hilarious purely for the fact that the game was so rushed it didn't have an ending ands fans just straight-up animated their own

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know if I was simply an idiot child who missed some basic mechanics but I remember Digimon World 4 starting out pretty hard. I should play it again someday to check if I was just a dumbass or not.

I definitely died at lot at the start but I might have been an idiot teen still, yeah..

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

sudeki is hilarious purely for the fact that the game was so rushed it didn't have an ending ands fans just straight-up animated their own

Sudeki has fans?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Tired Moritz posted:

I kinda wanna buy Cold Steel III just because it's on sale but I haven't even finished TiTS 3rd yet and maybe it'll be on a cheaper sale by the time I get to it. How often does the games go on sale, anyway?

It goes on sale every couple months, this is the fourth time, but only the second it's been this cheap.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yakuza 7 also fulfills my plot needs because while its stupid and full of some weird stuff regarding the homeless it is an RPG where I will not be fighting a god or anything by the end. Im here to kick rear end in a section of Tokyo (thats right Yokohama, Im calling you out!) and right some localized wrongs with my fists, clubs, and seemingly bottomless supply of dangerously fizzy champaign.

Once I finish its probably onto FFVIII remake because dammit gamepass I only have so much time
A friend said this to me but Yakuza 7 feels like Japanese Crime Earthbound (minus the part where Ichiban is a terrible criminal).
Also have you gotten to the part where Ichiban's hyperactive imagination/probable brain damage from bullet wounds starts morphing random encounters' design into more JRPG-ish stuff? The dude might as well imagine the final boss into some sort of god/Dragon Quest demon.

Endorph posted:

yakuza 7 acknowledges the homeless exist and are people so regardless of any weirdness in that execution its more woke than basically any other video game ever made

The bit where Ichiban is all like "We should go get jobs! Hey guys have you tried getting jobs?" and gets massively lectured on it by the homeless party member was pretty great. There's also the fact that he was raised in a brothel so he's always sympathetic to sex workers, especially when he's being pitted against the knock-off hyper-conservative puritans that harass them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Im way past that point, but that was definitely a moment where I was like "yeah this is the good poo poo"

The current maximum holy poo poo I love this games tone is very mild and vague spoilers but its mid game a character I had no reason to believe would ever join the party going from "ichiban, I am naive and easily taken advantage of so I need help" to "Ichiban, let me stab your enemies with a box cutter and some staples I stole from the office".

On the note of homelessness, the scene in Hello Work where they point out they can't get jobs because they don't have residences and they don't have residences because they don't have jobs is really really good for an aside.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Am I gonna be completely lost if Yakuza 7 is the first game in that series I play? Like is the plot heavily dependent on playing the others?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Am I gonna be completely lost if Yakuza 7 is the first game in that series I play? Like is the plot heavily dependent on playing the others?

It's explicitly designed to be a good jumping in point. New protagonist, different crime families. You'll miss some cute references in side stuff but the plot is entirely new and barely connected far as I can tell.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Shadow Hearts has been mentioned but I'll shill that again. That series being stuck in "every company involved being technically around so it's not abandonware but all out of gaming so no rereleases" is a tragedy.

The Dark Cloud games are great too and ported to PS4.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Elderbean posted:

the thing about top-tier is that no matter what the critical consensus is, every jrpg fan is going to have their own preferences

i don't think anyone hates Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria so I'll start with that and surely this will now get a contrarian response

i personally think Romancing SaGa: Minstrel's Song for ps2 is very good despite its odd art style and somewhat generic story, but some people just can't and won't ever glom on to SaGa games. it's an open world RPG where you can just free roam to different towns and pick up and handle quests in whatever order you find them in (many of which will show up or disappear based on your battle rank).. the combat is SaGa at its strongest, a ton of build options, and weapon styles with a bunch of different useful attacks that develop over time

Wild Arms 3 & 4 are two of my favorites in the series, 3 is probably the best usage of the wild west motif, while 4 has some fun systems to it like the hex battle system and the platforming bits. 3 is more traditional with its combat, 4 is semi-traditional but with the added mechanic of placement on the hex being important in terms of who you can attack/buff/heal, how status effects work, etc. in both games the combat is pretty quick.. the music is great. and the games don't suffer from the wretched localization that plagued WA2.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga is a fantastic game if you can handle a bleak setting. It is probably the most accessible of the pre-Persona SMT games in terms of difficulty and amenities, but still has plenty of challenge. it also has a direct followup sequel on the same system.

also in the SMT series, Devil Summoner has style for days as a game set in the 1920s where you're a detective solving demon crimes. the combat (which combines random encounters with real-time action combat) is a LITTLE repetitive, but it's ok enough to push through. this also has a sequel on the same system

don't bother with Star Ocean 3

of the three Suikoden games on PS2, V is considered the good one, while III has a relatively split opinion on it (I'm not a fan of the sluggish combat and iffy framerate). nobody seems to like IV but i did not dip too deep into it yet to see why other than the sailing is apparently very bad and worse than Wind Waker

and IDK if you consider Wii to be part of that generation or part of 360/PS3 generation, but The Last Story is very good. it has a bit of strategic action combat (with some additional third-person shooting style for some attacks/spells), and a nice compact world with fun characters

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 13, 2020

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just started playing Tyranny this week after having it forever - I'm about 6 hours in.
I'm wondering if the decision-making gets a little more nuanced or if for pretty much the whole game I'm just deciding what flavor of poo poo I'm forcing a character to eat.
I was sold on it being a rare chance to play someone evil in a game but it's not clicking for me yet - is there a turning point where the story gets a little more interesting? it's kind of a slow start and the setting isn't clicking with me as much as I thought it would. Also, i'm not expecting to see armies on-screen but apparently, these lands are being fought and won by groups 20 a side? the whole thing is kind of odd, lots of lore that hasn't settled into a cohesive world for me yet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Top tier, non-ff/dq PS2 games:

-Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
-Odin Sphere, if you're not getting Odin Sphere on a better system
-Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha 1/2
-Does Okami count? I say Okami counts. Again, pass if you'd play it on a better system instead.
-Radiata Stories
-Mana Khemia
-Shadow Hearts (1/2 for sure, 3 maaaaaybe, if you really liked 1/2)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grandia 3 for the PS2 until your mom leaves the party is a really good game, so maybe play up until there and pretend thats the ending.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cool that Yakuza 7 has homeless people in it and spends a lot of time on how soul crushing being homeless is even without the homeless hunters stepping in.

I sure hope that it'll be less weird about women than 6 though.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Cool that Yakuza 7 has homeless people in it and spends a lot of time on how soul crushing being homeless is even without the homeless hunters stepping in.

I sure hope that it'll be less weird about women than 6 though.

Not really. They try to be empowering to sex workers, but end of the day: Women aren't homeless (and they sure can't be "ugly/normal") and women down on their luck are, of course, prostitutes or mamas. Even the party banter is pretty standard mysoginy, but I almost expected that cause japanese video game. It's not... extremely bad, but it bummed me out enough to mention to my husband who has played some of the other yakuzas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dackel posted:

Even the party banter is pretty standard mysoginy, but I almost expected that cause japanese video game
uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I honestly don't know how people can say this if you look at what triple A western video games are like.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

of the three Suikoden games on PS2, V is considered the good one, while III has a relatively split opinion on it (I'm not a fan of the sluggish combat and iffy framerate). nobody seems to like IV but i did not dip too deep into it yet to see why other than the sailing is apparently very bad and worse than Wind Waker

Suikoden V is indeed the good one. It's almost tied with the excellent 2 for me.

Four has a lot of issues beyond the sailing (which mostly sucks due to being really slow and with a high encounter rate.) The entire game feels half finished with barely a main plot, hardly any locations to visit and probably the least fleshed out cast the series ever had.

Strangely the tie in turn based tactics game is quite good for the time and capitalizes on a lot of missed opportunities of the main game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Suikoden tactics is still pretty rough as well. The ending is kinda insane too.

Saying it’s good for it’s time is pushing it when FFT and the ogre battle games existed for years prior to it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno why yakuza having weird dialog has to be pinned on the entire japanese creative industry and not, on yakuza, the series

like the telephone club in yakuza zero sucks but it's not like i'll load up an atelier or tales game and run into the exact same jokes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 14, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have a soft spot for Suikoden 3 because it was my introduction to the series. The only major problem I have with it is that the standard battle music is god awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXuhB2GA7BY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A 1st party Nintendo game is on sale, water is dry

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Emblem-...#ace-6572008997