Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Ooof, the way spears shrink down into tiny little toy spears to fit on your back is pretty distracting :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

Ooof, the way spears shrink down into tiny little toy spears to fit on your back is pretty distracting :barf:

You can hide weapons, same way you hide gear.
That way they just pop in and out of existence when you actually use them.

That is, if a spear popping in and out of existence is better than a magical shrinking spear.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Using the seax primary and having gone for the perfect dodge time slow and backstab perks the first fanatic I fought was pretty easy.

The FMV on the confirm kill however was :staredog:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Uh where does the game show you many materials it will take to upgrade weapons or armor? When I go to an item in my inventory and click upgrade, it just says confirm. It doesn't tell me how many materials it will take up to do it. Where do they show this? I must be blind.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

Uh where does the game show you many materials it will take to upgrade weapons or armor? When I go to an item in my inventory and click upgrade, it just says confirm. It doesn't tell me how many materials it will take up to do it. Where do they show this? I must be blind.

When you start holding down the button to initiate the upgrade the mat costs will pop down from the pips bar for how many upgrades you've done.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Game ui designers dumbdumbs.
Tap the upgrade button and you'll get a small bubble highlighting the required materials and amount.
It is not a great way to do it, since you could upgrade something by accident by holding it in for a bit too long, depending on how long your 'hold to activate' setting is set to.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

For the twitch Armour if you hide the hood/shoulders I think its a real badass look actually. Hood makes it too fancy but without it you look like no nonsense well equipped fighter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

It bugged me way more with hammers where they transform into itty bitty baby hammers on your waist

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Name a worse activity than cairn stacking. That poo poo sucks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

nah, it's pretty chill, you just need to go slow, take your time, enjoy the landscape

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cairn stacking is pretty relaxing and can't be called the worst activity in the game when they brought back paper chasing from Black Flag, a thing literally nobody enjoyed.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

pretty sure they could make a good game AC set in India without Vishnu showing up in the game to talk to the player :confused: i dont see any reason they'd need to stay away from India entirely.

The Thuggee cult would fit right into the story of all these ancient murderous sects

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

nah, it's pretty chill, you just need to go slow, take your time, enjoy the landscape

The first ones are chill. The late ones are almost loving impossible.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Fighting zealots is the most unfun thing in any assassins creed game ever, including the horrible stealth missions from AC3 and the like.

I did the thing to make them not hunt me. Can I never fight a zealot and still finish the game?

They loving suck and can go gently caress themselves, they are the only thing in the game I'm both bad at and have zero fun doing. There is not enough stamina in the game to dodge their chains of 5 unbreakable attacks and still have enough left for 4 counters in a row. I can stab myself in the dick if I want to get hosed over so badly.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

My first kill of a zealot was during a raid and now I refuse to do it any other way!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Fighting zealots is the most unfun thing in any assassins creed game ever, including the horrible stealth missions from AC3 and the like.

I did the thing to make them not hunt me. Can I never fight a zealot and still finish the game?

They loving suck and can go gently caress themselves, they are the only thing in the game I'm both bad at and have zero fun doing. There is not enough stamina in the game to dodge their chains of 5 unbreakable attacks and still have enough left for 4 counters in a row. I can stab myself in the dick if I want to get hosed over so badly.

The only time I managed to kill one was kiting him into a monastery area and summoning a raid. I shot at him from afar while they hammered him down. It's ridiculous how it still took 3 of my raiding crew to kill him. They definitely feel too overpowered, but I think you have to kill Zealots to reveal Order of the Ancients targets unfortunately.

Anyway, is the game really quiet score wise? There were so many dramatic plot points where I thought some soaring music would kick in but it's just dead silence. It's really weird. And a small nick pick but in a journey as long as this, I wish we were able to pick and name our horse. I really liked having that connection in Odyssey and Ghost of Tsushima.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

If you haven't gotten it yet the "slow time on near dodge" thing does wonders for that because you only really need one successful dodge to get away from their attacks.

Also using an Ability (I prefer Dive of the Valkyrie) will restore your stamina instantly so you can chain into one of those to keep your assault up.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
For those who have the wolf mount, does it fight or do anything or is it just a horse that looks like a wolf

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

If you haven't gotten it yet the "slow time on near dodge" thing does wonders for that because you only really need one successful dodge to get away from their attacks.

Holy poo poo, this was loving key. Thank you. Trivialized the fight, and calling my wolf in to down him so I could get a stomp in was also super useful.

Anyone else getting frustrated, do whatever you have to for the Brush With Death skill because it's a completely different fight with it, much less frustrating. I didn't expect it to make as much difference as it did, not even close.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
When would people recommend doing the Visions quest? I started it once before realizing I was horribly underpowered and loading an earlier save, but I wasn't really thrilled at finding myself among the gods. Can I leave it until I've finished with England or would it work better for the story if I started it at the suggested power level?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

When would people recommend doing the Visions quest? I started it once before realizing I was horribly underpowered and loading an earlier save, but I wasn't really thrilled at finding myself among the gods. Can I leave it until I've finished with England or would it work better for the story if I started it at the suggested power level?

I did the first leg very easily around 60 power

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

Holy poo poo, this was loving key. Thank you. Trivialized the fight, and calling my wolf in to down him so I could get a stomp in was also super useful.

Anyone else getting frustrated, do whatever you have to for the Brush With Death skill because it's a completely different fight with it, much less frustrating. I didn't expect it to make as much difference as it did, not even close.

Yeah that's the only thing I've found that's made a difference with Zealots (except just getting way higher power level than them). It's ridiculous how unfun they are. You can barely even use your abilities if you fight them one on one because you can't build up adrenaline fast enough! And they barely even do anything if you do. It's so stupid!

I feel like the game balance is just kind of ridiculous anyway. I'm 20 hours in, I've invested almost every point into the Bear tree...but if it wasn't for the DLC armor I got from uplay+ I wouldn't have a single piece of Bear armor. And I've only got 3 Bear weapons despite having gotten a ton of weapons. It doesn't really matter for most fighting (which is it's own concern), but the armor specific sections of the skill tree seem to be where a great deal of your power comes from and it's not fun to not get any benefits from it for so long (if you don't pay extra).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Zeron posted:

Yeah that's the only thing I've found that's made a difference with Zealots (except just getting way higher power level than them). It's ridiculous how unfun they are. You can barely even use your abilities if you fight them one on one because you can't build up adrenaline fast enough! And they barely even do anything if you do. It's so stupid!

I feel like the game balance is just kind of ridiculous anyway. I'm 20 hours in, I've invested almost every point into the Bear tree...but if it wasn't for the DLC armor I got from uplay+ I wouldn't have a single piece of Bear armor. And I've only got 3 Bear weapons despite having gotten a ton of weapons. It doesn't really matter for most fighting (which is it's own concern), but the armor specific sections of the skill tree seem to be where a great deal of your power comes from and it's not fun to not get any benefits from it for so long (if you don't pay extra).

The free (assuming you have Amazon prime) Twitch.tv armor is bear, although I'm not thrilled with how it looks. Honestly I went back to raven armor after doing the berserker bear armor for a long time because I liked how it looked better, did a couple minor respecs in the skill tree, and it's plenty good at power level 110 and 6 pips in each one. Aside from the zealots until I got the skill above, it's pretty easy to avoid getting hit even without a shield. Switching to the bear claw axe as primary with the fyrd spear has been a perfect combo for me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Do you get extra adrenaline via progressing the main quest like in Odyssey?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I would really like to see the Trogdor tattoo realized. That's a cute little easter egg I didn't expect to see in the homestead.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm only still in Norway, but the intro to this has helped me realise why I've played, but not really considered these games as memorable.

Rather than playing an Assassin's Creed game, it feels like I'm playing open-world spinoffs set in the world of Assassin's creed.

I know that's probably just semantics, but shite or not, there was a fairly networked story running throughout the first, what, 9 games and they all featured similar gameplay.

Now in Origins, Odyssey and (so far in) Valhalla, I never really feel like I'm part of that plot. Despite the future poo poo and the occasional reference, it's just too detached.

Also, because it's all open world and repetitive and chock full of characters and nameless NPCs for side quests it's all so forgettable.

For instance, from Origins, all I can really remember is that Cleopatra was in it and that there was a cult of bad guys I killed a lot of. In Odyssey I can remember even less even though I collected everything in it. There was Leonidus for a 300/Sparta reference, and another cult of bad guys I was killing lots of. Also, Socrates, I think?

I'm expecting exactly the same in this game and it's the kind of thing where, in 10 years time, if I think back on what I liked about the series, chances are it's going to be still focused on everything Assassin's Creed 2 did by creating a series of tightly woven games around a single compelling character because I'll have forgotten even more from what these bland repetitive reboots have brought.

Edit: I'm open to being wrong if England becomes this memorable experience, but given the nature of open-world games, I doubt it will be.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ubisoft just astounds me sometimes.

Vision Quest spoiler:
You add a map + questline in Asgard, then add the biggest goddamn collectathon thing in the reboot series, 30 loving tears, for a measly 5 skill points? You probably get like 10+ just doing the quests in asgard!
Why on earth didn't you just like, make one set of equipment or some weapons or -something- that you could barter/craft with the tears, or something? It's especially glaring during launch week when the opal store has some Sleipnir gear on display, you could just have recoloured one of the many many premium-or-opal sets!
I think I looked up the reward after grabbing like 10 of them, and loving hell no.

Vision Quest 2 spoiler:
Ubisoft: hehehehehe this time it's 33 rocks to collect, and no place on the web has yet said what the reward is, beyond 'it's probably like 5 skill points... again.

God, I thought they had fired those designers, since it's not something that's plagued the series much recently. I remember back in the AC2 days that there were tons of things in a similar vein.
Didn't it have some horseshit with like 100 feathers to collect or something?

Eimi posted:

Do you get extra adrenaline via progressing the main quest like in Odyssey?

no, you unlock them in the skill tree, there's like 3 of them scattered around, they're bigger than the normal nodes, smaller than the special ones.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

exquisite tea posted:

Cairn stacking is pretty relaxing and can't be called the worst activity in the game when they brought back paper chasing from Black Flag, a thing literally nobody enjoyed.

It's not as bad as in Black Flag though because the paper slows down so you can keep up in this one and hangs around for a fair while at the end of the trail.

Just go slow and steady and you'll get it. It's more important that you don't miss a jump than trying to go fast to keep up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SubNat posted:

Ubisoft just astounds me sometimes.

Vision Quest spoiler:
You add a map + questline in Asgard, then add the biggest goddamn collectathon thing in the reboot series, 30 loving tears, for a measly 5 skill points? You probably get like 10+ just doing the quests in asgard!
Why on earth didn't you just like, make one set of equipment or some weapons or -something- that you could barter/craft with the tears, or something? It's especially glaring during launch week when the opal store has some Sleipnir gear on display, you could just have recoloured one of the many many premium-or-opal sets!
I think I looked up the reward after grabbing like 10 of them, and loving hell no.

Vision Quest 2 spoiler:
Ubisoft: hehehehehe this time it's 33 rocks to collect, and no place on the web has yet said what the reward is, beyond 'it's probably like 5 skill points... again.

God, I thought they had fired those designers, since it's not something that's plagued the series much recently. I remember back in the AC2 days that there were tons of things in a similar vein.
Didn't it have some horseshit with like 100 feathers to collect or something?

no, you unlock them in the skill tree, there's like 3 of them scattered around, they're bigger than the normal nodes, smaller than the special ones.

The reward is the same, yes.

The logic behind it appears to be You are in a dream and can't take weapons out of it but like come the gently caress on it isn't like realism is a big deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Glad it helped!

Another really useful trick for them is the Kick of Tyr or whatever it's called, the rebranded Spartan Kick ability. At level 2 it knocks down enemies and keeps them down for a bit which makes it great for both clearing space or for getting a high-damage stomp in. It's honestly crazy OP. (Very close is Feign Death Level 2 which gives you a free instant stealth attack on whoever you're fighting that isn't a boss and if you combine it with the "timed button press to insta-kill anyone" skill you can basically just wreck the face of any high level enemy with ease.)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SubNat posted:

I am almost positive I got one from a treasure chest or a minor quest reward early on

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

I am almost positive I got one from a treasure chest or a minor quest reward early on

It's not impossible that there's a quest that gives them, after all there are a number of quests that give abilities, but there are 3 nodes for +adrenaline in the skill tree, and I have 4 total.
Is it possible you maybe got it at the same time as your first ability? I'm not sure if the adrenaline points exist/are visible until you get one or not.

ImpAtom posted:

The reward is the same, yes.

The logic behind it appears to be You are in a dream and can't take weapons out of it but like come the gently caress on it isn't like realism is a big deal.

Yeah, when has that ever really stopped them before? They could do that and still satisfy players like me by giving you blueprints to make them?
I mean the settlement has a blacksmith that can upgrade any old shield found in a ditch into a mythical item, after all. Making some equipment based on Eivor's dream shouldn't be a hard sell.

It's far more egregious if one goes to the western area in the game, can't remember the name offhand:
Post lunden spoiler / the order branch 'executive' spoiler: You don't get to keep any of the native american equipment either, for whatever reason, and that is explicitly in 'real life'.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've switched from 2h sword to hammer main/1h axe offhand (dad's axe, as it adds speed per hit), and because I've picked up a hammer mastery skill node along the line, it vastly outperforms every other weapon I have in terms of DPS and stun, even if reach is obviously pretty short. The moveset is super reliable (light combo ends in a sweep), while the heavy still blows up wood shields in a single shot so I don't miss having the flail for off-hand shield wrecking.

Funnily enough, I noticed that hammer main does not let you use the offhand weapon for attacking at all except for the heavy finisher, which means it's basically a stat stick. Even then, as I've stated, you don't need to actually hit enemies with the offhand to trigger its buffs, so the attack/speed on hit 1h axes are very good for the hammer main.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

1H axe + spear 4 lyfe. The perk for using 2h weapons in 1 hand is wonderful.

I tried with a dane axe instead of the 1 hander but it didn't work as well since it was a touch too slow. The spear to give you range either via holding LB or just naturally getting it in combos is so useful at just holding things back and not getting swarmed.

Although flail in off hand did a great job with that as well since holding LB just yeeted it in a big circle around your head

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Really want to love the Dane Axe more but that thing moves too drat slow and it's too single-target focused. Not a good mix of traits.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does the region Asgard freeze a lot for any of you guys?

i5 6500, 32GB, GTX 2060 @ 1440p and the game has just locked up 3 times on me in ~30 minutes in this region. Norway was fine, only 1 or 2 crashes in ~10 hours play time

e; also this wolf fuckin me up

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 15, 2020

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ok I found the gamebreaking combat loop against big enemies

dive of the valkyries + dual daggers. Dive to knock them down, stomp, and mash light attack with dual daggers builds enough adrenaline to immediately dive on them again when they get up, repeat.

Just crushed a zealot I had no reason even being able to touch doing that. That said now that means I am not using dual daggers anymore cause that just removes all the challenge from a fight.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The narrative structure of this game is really odd. I'm like 40 hours in and I have no idea what the main plot is or if it has even started yet. I've been building up my little viking town, and that's fun, but all this alliance stuff feels more like Odyssey's side-quests in terms of structure and importance. I keep killing Order dudes but it kinda feels hollow because Eivor doesn't really seem to interested in whatever their whole thing is and neither does anyone I meet. The death visions are cool especially with Odin chiming in to tell the dead guy what a dingus he was but the Order doesn't feel important at all.

I also feel like I missed a cutscene somewhere because all of a sudden Dag is getting all mad at me for trying to usurp Sigurd? Dag, the dude who never gave a poo poo about any of the story beats so far? Kinda feels like they wanted a rival character but forgot to write one into the first several hours and just picked a tertiary character they already had a model for.

I'm still digging it. The Lunden arc has been the highlight so far. I just hope at some point they tell me why Eivor is the main character because they just feel like an aimless goon with no goals or desires so far.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Crowetron posted:

I also feel like I missed a cutscene somewhere because all of a sudden Dag is getting all mad at me for trying to usurp Sigurd? Dag, the dude who never gave a poo poo about any of the story beats so far? Kinda feels like they wanted a rival character but forgot to write one into the first several hours and just picked a tertiary character they already had a model for.

yeah I dont remember where exactly they explain that but they do. Dag and Sigurd were childhood best friends, and Dag has hated/resented/been jealous of Eivor ever since you were adopted by Sigurds family as a kid. Dag doesn't really think Eivor is "usurping Sigurd" thats just his jealousy talking - it's really Dag yourself you've usurped, both in the position of Sigurds "right hand" in the clan and also just emotionally as Sigurd's closest companion

Crowetron posted:

I just hope at some point they tell me why Eivor is the main character because they just feel like an aimless goon with no goals or desires so far.

I strongly prefer it this way, it just makes so much more sense with the way I approach open world games and gives me an opportunity to make up my own desires for the character instead of having them all driven on some vengeance mission or whatever

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anything equivalent/similar to Odyssey's Cultist tree?