Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

alright this dungeon in Y7 Chapter 6 is like thirty rooms too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

alright this dungeon in Y7 Chapter 6 is like thirty rooms too long

Don't forget to save like I did!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

goferchan posted:

Sort of, but you don't beat up random civilians or steal cars or anything. It's smaller-scale but more detailed -- so you're usually just limited to a few city blocks at a time, but you can go in restaurants and order from their menus for stat boosts, go in an arcade and play classic Sega games or the claw machine or whatever, play darts, play pool, etc. This title in particular is also notably a turn-based RPG -- the other games in the series have kind of a beat-em-up feeling combat system.

edit: If you want to play one of the traditional ones, almost everybody will tell you to start with Yakuza 0, and I'd agree. If the turn-based combat interests you more though, Like A Dragon is a fine starting point too -- it's technically Yakuza 7 but it's also got a new protagonist and storyline and (at least so far) doesn't seem to require knowledge of the other games

I don't have a problem with turn-based combat normally, although it does seem like an odd choice for a sandbox game... but I guess you have a full party with you at most times, and turn-based does make sense for a party-based game.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So steam friend buying for you if the game is not available in your region is still working or not? Just realized Yakuza: Like a Dragon is not available in my country rip.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

srulz posted:

So steam friend buying for you if the game is not available in your region is still working or not? Just realized Yakuza: Like a Dragon is not available in my country rip.

It should, but one easy way to test it is to ask your friend to try because as soon as it's added to the cart as a gift, it will ask who will receive it. If your account is not selectable, there's your answer.

Region locking on Steam is uncommon and generally acts weird depending on restrictions imposed by the publisher, so gaben knows how it will work for this case. I'm more surprised a big release like this is even unavailable anywhere in the first place.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I heard Yakuza 7 spoils everything that happened in 6 but I'm not sure.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I know that I am super late to the game, but Hades is really really good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was hoping that the latest Soul Calibur would have a robust single player mode, from the advertised features, but it is kind of grindy and uninspired. However, it does seem like the type of game that would be more fun for casual local multi than Tekken. It’s easy to pick up and wail on each other, plus it has create-a-fighter.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Soulcalibur has an extremely robust single-player story mode with several hours of campaigning and a leveling/progression system, in addition to the standard story mode for each individual character.

Tekken has an extremely barebones story mode and token fights for individual characters.

A Bystander posted:

Create-a-Character story in Soulcal is pretty boring but it will teach you some things about the different styles, kind of like in Weapon Master in SCII. There's some genuinely difficult fights to test your skills, but the rest is whatever. The other story mode has some cutscenes and fights. Some of them are pretty decent, I guess. Some of those can't be finished until you make some progress in the CaC's story, so be aware of that.

Tekken 7's got the Mishima saga coming to an end for a pretty obvious reason once you actually get to the last chapter. They're all just one round fights, and you can try as many times as you want as the AI intentionally follows a game plan for you to get past it sooner or later. The mode to care about is Treasure Battle because that's where you get your customizable items from. You can set up a macro or some poo poo and intentionally run up the total battle counter to unlock everything after like 2,000 fights, but that's boring as poo poo and I wouldn't say the customization is that worth it when you can just be playing the game instead. Enemies get progressively harder as you move up a rank with a character (this rank isn't shared). If you pay up, there's also Tekken Bowl, which is bowling but with Tekken characters.
Thanks for the write-ups. I ended up getting SC6 and it's pretty good, although the Libra of Soul mode has started out suuuper slow. I do like all the character customisation options though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a matter of personal attitude, I guess. I'll admit I'd find it difficult to think of myself as anything other than disfigured if I ever ended up with the kind of major facial scarring that really serious third-degree burn victims often end up suffering from. Not that I think that anyone should feel like this devalues them as a person in any way, but it is a permanent and highly visible reminder of a very serious and frankly horrifying bodily injury.
Here's the thing about analogies like this: your imagination of what you'd feel like doesn't trump (as in bridge) the report of somebody who actually does have the condition. It's the same reason that "I wouldn't mind if people hit on me" doesn't trump "People are harassing me on the street."

Disfigured is a pejorative in the same way that deafmute is a pejorative. It's got a judgement bound up in the description.

Cardiovorax posted:

For those who aren't familiar (you shouldn't be, it's incredibly stupid) 4'33 is a piece of "music" that consists of the composer quietly sitting in a recording room and doing nothing whatsoever. In other words, under the DMCA you can legally send people a takedown notice for having copyrighted silence in their own work.

Nope. John Cage was an experimental composer, and 4'33 was written to be performed before a live audience, not recorded. The point of 4'33 is that the sounds in the room are the music. It's a serious musical statement, and people play it seriously all the time.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 14, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yipes, sorry, post not edit.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Saoshyant posted:

It should, but one easy way to test it is to ask your friend to try because as soon as it's added to the cart as a gift, it will ask who will receive it. If your account is not selectable, there's your answer.

Region locking on Steam is uncommon and generally acts weird depending on restrictions imposed by the publisher, so gaben knows how it will work for this case. I'm more surprised a big release like this is even unavailable anywhere in the first place.

Anyone wants to help me try? Steam username is same as my username here.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't have a problem with turn-based combat normally, although it does seem like an odd choice for a sandbox game... but I guess you have a full party with you at most times, and turn-based does make sense for a party-based game.

Yeah, it's definitely a result of them trying something new and weird after 6 games and like 4 spinoffs, but as a fan of the previous ones I really like it so far. Combat is super fast and snappy, and has some Super Mario RPG style button-timing elements to keep things engaging. Not sure if it'll be the choice for games in the series going forward, or what. Like I said, 0 is also a great place to start if you want to play the traditional style of Yakuza game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nope. John Cage was an experimental composer, and 4'33 was written to be performed before a live audience, not recorded. The point of 4'33 is that the sounds in the room are the music. It's a serious musical statement, and people play it seriously all the time.

So then people are getting DMCA'd over not literal silence, just almost silence, same difference.

Hwurmp posted:

The first harvest always sucks bad. Results get better as you level up your rice.

Steam Thread 2021: Level Up Your Rice

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's not called "Of Rice and Prosperity"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Rice of Skywalker

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Your next harvest should rice to the top

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
OK someone just added, thanks a lot.

BTW anyone can advise how do I do the gif thing for avatar here? I just realized all the stuff that I can do in SA. Hate the stupid newbie thing. Is there a better thread to discuss it, or Discord or something? Thanks all.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So what's the current gold standard for PC game controllers? My good old xbox 360 controller is starting to have some buttons stick. I don't know anything about the latest consoles but I assume one of them would probably be best.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Xbox One controller has pretty much supplanted the 360 controller as PC standard, AFAIK.

There is also the new Xbox Series X/S controller, which is pretty much the same except it has a different D-Pad and texture on the grips. Also a share button, but I don't know if that actually does anything on PC.

The PS5 controller has some really cool sounding haptic feedback and dynamic resistance in the triggers, but no PC game will support that stuff for years, if ever. We don't know how well third parties will support it on the PS5.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 14, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i will always recommend a dualshock 4 over any xbox pad but its mostly personal preference, especially with steam working with dualshocks out of the box now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I give bonus points to any PC game that includes Dualshock 4 buttons in prompts/menus

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

The Xbox One controller has pretty much supplanted the 360 controller as PC standard, AFAIK.

There is also the new Xbox Series X/S controller, which is pretty much the same except it has a different D-Pad and texture on the grips. Also a share button, but I don't know if that actually does anything on PC.

The PS5 controller has some really cool sounding haptic feedback and dynamic resistance in the triggers, but no PC game will support that stuff for years, if ever. We don't know how well third parties will support it on the PS5.

The better rumble in the DS5 should be noticeable even on old games but obviously to a much lesser extent than if they're specifically set up for it.

That said it pretty much remains as it ever has, whichever one you prefer will do just fine.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The problem is that the music itself is copyrighted, no just the performance. If I perform a cover of Enter Sandman without licensing it, I get slapped with a copyright infringement even though I'm playing my own interpretation of the song. So now we have a situation where anyone recording room sounds could be infringing on 4'33. Technically if they independently decided to record room sounds "without knowledge of or exposure to the plaintiff's work" then the new work is not violating the Cage Estate's copyright, but they have to prove independent creation and "without knowledge or exposure" is a much higher bar than "without influence". And because excerpts are also copyrighted, having a different length recording isn't enough to prove that there's no violation!

Now put that together with the "shoot first, ask questions later" nature of the DMCA takedown system...

E: 4'33 is definitely an important experimental piece, though, no argument there!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 15, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Hope it doesn't have spoilers for the other games. I beat 0 and K1, and will be playing 7 next.

not really. the yakuza games are typically self contained in plot, super convoluted, and the purpose is witnessing the stupidity of the plot such that just reading a summary of what happens doesn't matter as much as seeing it for yourself

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know that I am super late to the game, but Hades is really really good.
It is!
I posted that in the fresh releases thread a few weeks ago, it's just gone 1.0 a month or 2 ago.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The problem is that if you give the job of recognizing music use to an AI, a lot of things will get flagged that shouldn’t be. The AI that is used on Twitch doesn’t seem to have John Cage-d anyone, but quite a few have been slapped by notices because a sound effect in a game sounded similar to some stock CD of sound effects.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ymgve posted:

The problem is that if you give the job of recognizing music use to an AI, a lot of things will get flagged that shouldn’t be. The AI that is used on Twitch doesn’t seem to have John Cage-d anyone, but quite a few have been slapped by notices because a sound effect in a game sounded similar to some stock CD of sound effects.

There's a tweet going around about someone getting hit while playing Phantasmagoria because it vaguely sounded like some crappy meditation track.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Stickman posted:

Now put that together with the "shoot first, ask questions later" nature of the DMCA takedown system...

Shoot first, ask questions never, auto-deny all appeals.

So I haven't seen anyone discussing it but Duck Game got its big ol' 1.5 update finally, with a rewrite of the audio code, netcode, more hats, new parameters for custom hats, custom rocks and capes, 8-player multiplayer, spectator mode, new maps, new level elements, laundry list of bugfixes, etc. Well worth the revisit. Just never play in pubs, because the people who do have seemingly all mastered trickshot tech that makes it like trying to play Smash Bros. as a party game versus pro circuit competitors who are also wallhacking :stare:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
How could anyone have known that the DMCA was an absolute pile of poo poo designed to protect the interests of the RIAA and MPAA and gently caress everyone else?

Honestly don't understand how people are OK with giving money to anyone involved with the RIAA or MPAA.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ymgve posted:

DMCA notices are completely asymmetrical warfare, rights holders... well shotgun seems like an understatement for 2 million notices submitted per day.

Also there is little to no penalty for filing a bad-faith claim, even for something you don't actually have the rights to or are a designated agent for the rights holder, you can just send them out whenever. To file a counter-claim you have to provide personally identifying information and complete an affadavit under penalty of perjury

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
At its core video game streaming is people making money off of showcasing IP they don't own, it sucks that that's getting harder to do but it was always inevitable that would happen and it's probably the reason a lot of full-time game streamers have been branching off into other content like cooking videos and lifestyle vlogs and whatever the gently caress Unus Annus was.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The game devs/publishers are fine with streaming, all this DMCA stuff is coming from third parties. Lots of it seem to be games that use licensed music, and I really hope game publishers will start licensing music in a way that allows rebroadcasts.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

...of SCIENCE! posted:

At its core video game streaming is people providing free advertising and word-of-mouth value that's widely recognized in the industry as worth a whole lot with basically no business drawbacks, and this value is only ignored by weirdo outliers like Nintendo when they had Nintendo Direct up and that Stadia idiot on Twitter.

fixed it for you

e.: ymgve is 100% correct, these DMCA issues are functionally entirely down to the music industry, not the games industry

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Chad Jihad posted:

I love Age of Empires 3, holy hell though I had no idea the plot was so poorly done. I mean for an RTS it's still like, a C+/B- level work but somehow in the intervening years since it released I had built it up to something much higher in my head and watching it play out now is wild. Like a sneering blood-thirsty obviously evil dude shows up to help you in one level then immediately betrays you in the next one, or one of your assumed enemies saying out-loud to no one "Why is he attacking me? I just want to stop the Cult!" to make sure we the player understand
You were probably thinking of Age Of Mythology which is really up there for A/S tier RTSs plots

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Awesome! posted:

i will always recommend a dualshock 4 over any xbox pad but its mostly personal preference, especially with steam working with dualshocks out of the box now.
i'd only do that if you have a charging station or something. the microUSB connector on the DS4 is awful

also it won't work with everything outside of steam even with DS4Windows, it's just more finnicky

xbox 360/one controllers will pretty much work with 99% of gamepad-supported games now unless it's like. 1995-2005 era gaming

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you’re really looking for the “gold standard,” the absurdly expensive Xbox One Elite Series 2 offers better construction, a hair trigger shoulder option, multiple analog stick and d-pad options, and most notably, rear paddles for mapping macros to.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

achillesforever6 posted:

You were probably thinking of Age Of Mythology which is really up there for A/S tier RTSs plots

One thing I appreciate about the AoM plot is that Arkantos despite being an original character fits absolutely perfectly in with the actual Greek mythology chatacters.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ymgve posted:

The game devs/publishers are fine with streaming, all this DMCA stuff is coming from third parties. Lots of it seem to be games that use licensed music, and I really hope game publishers will start licensing music in a way that allows rebroadcasts.

The Record industry ruins everything again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People are getting hit with DMCA notices because games are using library sound effects, it's not just obvious licensed music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So what's the current gold standard for PC game controllers? My good old xbox 360 controller is starting to have some buttons stick. I don't know anything about the latest consoles but I assume one of them would probably be best.

I recently picked up a 8bitdo SN30Pro+ and like it quite a lot.