Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Endorph posted:

yakuza 7 acknowledges the homeless exist and are people so regardless of any weirdness in that execution its more woke than basically any other video game ever made

Nanba calling out Ichi after the 'Come on people if you work hard you'll just stop being homeless!' was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Elderbean posted:

What are some top tier JRPGs from the PS2/GC era? I'm already familiar with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, so if be interested in stuff outside of those franchises.

Ar tonelico 2. The first one is pretty standard as JRPGs go, but the second one has a really good battle system and story.

And they're not really top tier but I love them so, the two games in Growlanser Generations are solid strategy RPGs. I can't vouch for the fifth game in the series (Heritage of War) but maybe someone else here likes that one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Play the fan retranslation of AT2 though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Nanba calling out Ichi after the 'Come on people if you work hard you'll just stop being homeless!' was pretty good

That was much appreciated, yes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dunno why yakuza having weird dialog has to be pinned on the entire japanese creative industry and not, on yakuza, the series

like the telephone club in yakuza zero sucks but it's not like i'll load up an atelier or tales game and run into the exact same jokes

Yeah, it's a really weird double standard that I don't really understand.

You look at the Arkham series' weird direction they've been taking Harley throughout the games and the consensus isn't 'Boy America sure hates women' it's- as far as I've seen- 'What the gently caress are Rocksteady doing with Harley?'

Perhaps this is a symptom of declaring corporations as people, now they regard strange decisions as just one weird guy's ideas now. :thunk:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 14, 2020

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I think it's that western and eastern games are misogynistic in different ways (but yes, people seem more aware of it in eastern games, probs because the western games are more in line with the rest of western media - movies, series, comics etc. - so it doesn't stand out)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 14, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is also worth noting that a large chunk of Yakuza's problems are connected to the fact that it's rooted knee-deep in Gritty Crime Drama and that has the same problems in both western and eastern media where it puts a significantly greater emphasis on sex work when it comes to women. They can avoid this (and in fact they do in the sidestories and one of your characters is just an office clerk) but they're knee deep in The Gritty Crime and that is a genre that is misogynistic even before you add in whatever the creators have inside their own heads.

That said I will get Yakuza 7 credit for the fact that it goes out of its way to humanize people. The protagonist was raised in a soapland and views the people there as good and kind people struggling to survive in a world that fucks them over. One of the reoccurring side character plotlines involves women who are illegal immigrants and who have absolutely no recourse and a woman who is trying to protect them. Which goes incredibly dark when she is convinced to support a shelter and send the girls there so they didn't have to work like that anymore, except said shelter turned out to be a honeypot to catch and deport them. It treats people who are in bad situations as victims, not failures, and asks for empathy for them whenever possible. That doesn't mean it doesn't have missteps but it at very least is trying to avoid being critical or harmful.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Hope the series just keeps treating social issues incrementally better (well, not only this series but all games in general), one step at a time I guess

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

KariOhki posted:

Ar tonelico 2. The first one is pretty standard as JRPGs go, but the second one has a really good battle system and story.

And they're not really top tier but I love them so, the two games in Growlanser Generations are solid strategy RPGs. I can't vouch for the fifth game in the series (Heritage of War) but maybe someone else here likes that one.

I'm not a fan of the Ar Tonelico games, but I'll say one thing for them, they have some of the best soundtracks in gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CQL1WUR6pk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Hope the series just keeps treating social issues incrementally better (well, not only this series but all games in general), one step at a time I guess

Same but I'm willing to give more benefit of the doubt when a series at least tries in good faith. I'll take Yakuza's sometimes missteps over, say, Grand Theft Auto's mean nihilism any day of the week.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yakuza's devs at least care enough that they acknowledged the more weird and transphobic humor in 3-5 and cut them out of rereleases in all regions

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

I have a soft spot for Suikoden 3 because it was my introduction to the series. The only major problem I have with it is that the standard battle music is god awful.

the other major problem most players have with it is the in-battle pathing getting stuck in an infinite loop in scripted encounters where you're mounted in a narrow battlefield

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

I have a soft spot for Suikoden 3 because it was my introduction to the series. The only major problem I have with it is that the standard battle music is god awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXuhB2GA7BY

A remake of Suikoden 3 with a normal battle system would be nice too because oh boy is the combat a mess in that game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'll say this about shadow hearts 2, having played through the first half of disc 1 so far

it is not living up to the first game in terms of variety and aesthetic, and possibly even design. the locations have all been drab (probably to suit the WW1 setting) and pale, and the dungeons boring and needlessly maze-like (and more maze dungeons to come!), and the music a lot more repetitive. dungeon enemies tend to be... maybe 3 enemy types at most? and bosses have been kind of a joke

story wise the game is spinning its wheels for 6 hours straight, almost nothing has happened and the structure's been the same again and again... we can't go the main road, so we have to take this side route! it's not the developer's fault that the dungeons are a sewer, a mine, a subway, and a wine cellar, it's the engaging story!

i'm sure it'll get better soon, i just got to florence italy (another drab location....), but it's not propelling me forward like the first SH did. it hasn't beaten the first on any merit yet

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow hearts two does pick up in the later half of disc one and disc two. But yeah it can. Be a bit dissapointing at the first glance

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Port Tales of Graces f to Ps4/Ps5 you cowards!

*shakes fist in Namco bandai's direction*

Edit: barring that come out with a new game with the exact same title mechanics.

But I'd play it again, "What is 'friend'....?" writing and all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/sale_talesfranchise/

Tales of Berseria is 8 bucks on steam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked Tales of Berseria enough to finish it and normally JRPGers put me to sleep.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

velvet deserved better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i'm remembering why i never finished atelier annie, the core atelier stuff in it is good but most of the unique things it brings to the table are... not very good and it has big issues with enemy spawn and drop rates being so low that it's hard to ever get certain items even in areas where they should be relatively common, which is very bad, when requests require you to get those items

really the gathering is weird in general because it's in between the older games and the newer ones, letting you wander around gathering spots is conceptually interesting but it has none of the actual benefits that you get from that in the ps3 games onwards and it takes much longer than gathering in marie or elie where you can usually get an uninterrupted gathering trip done in like five seconds

and the resort stuff just feels... really bad lol. like i don't know how many actual reasons there are to bother with any of it other than that the requests get you good items, the minigames are kinda broken and you need to do it for the best ending. the fact that none of the money you make from it can be spend on anything other than more resort stuff makes it feel awkwardly detached

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 18, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Annie was real bad which is a shame because Annie herself is one of my favorite alchemists

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
annie has lots of fun writing even if some of its recurring character bits can be kinda lame on their own when the game isn't doing anything interesting with them, fitz's obvious crush on annie is cute and when characters do all interact with each other it's really funny. gillian's whole health drink bit is kind of an awkward gag until you see her hang out with melody and melody ends up being like, the one person who just isn't bothered by it despite still acknowledging how terrible it tastes lol

it's just that the uh gameplay is. passable, at best, and not much better than that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played it for a probably a dozen hours and had no idea how the alchemy system actually worked

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's an extremely basic alchemy system except you can assign one special property to every item using supplements, which you synthesize with items that possess their own special properties

the problem with this is that one supplement can have multiple different properties it can apply, thanks to its ingredient having different variants for each one, and you can't separate things by categorization within one supplement so whatever the last property you synthesized the supplement to grant was, just becomes the entire stack. it's a tedious and dull headache that stops feeling worth it unless you can get a really huge payout. this also means you can get multiple "normal" supplements which... what... what is the point of a normal supplement. what does it do. you get normal items from doing synthesis without using supplements why do i need this.

it also has all alchemy tools as separate items you can choose to perform alchemy with and they all level up based on how much you use them but... this mostly means your cauldron will become the best tool really fast and leveling every tool will take the entire game, and also there's no reason to bother because you hit a point where your alchemy level is so high you literally can't fail 99% of what you try to synthesize entirely regardless of tool or tool level

the only actual obstacle at any point in atelier annie is legitimately just. that enemy spawn and drop rates are some of the lowest in the series so you may potentially have to save scum just to farm mid game poo poo lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 18, 2020

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the only actual obstacle at any point in atelier annie is legitimately just. that enemy spawn and drop rates are some of the lowest in the series so you may potentially have to save scum just to farm mid game poo poo lol

Maybe this is why I never managed to get a decent ending. Either that or I never figured out what it actually wanted from me, I probably should have just looked at a guide.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 18, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol i've spent like an hour save scumming to try and get a skull crystal on crater and have not gotten a single one. this is literally a basic requirement in order to clear the fifth assignment, it's a random enemy drop and the crater is the place this enemy has the highest chance of spawning, and it spawns for me maybe 10% of the time. the gently caress is this poo poo

e; i tried save state scumming on one of the rare encounters i actually get with the enemy types i need and even doing this i can literally reload it and try to manipulate the rng dozens of times and it still, doesn't drop. the only things that could make doing this easier are mercurius glasses and beaux and like... i would have to grind beaux up a bunch in lower level areas before bringing him to fight these guys would be possible without him instantly dying lol

there is nothing this bad at any other point in the game why did they make, this one very specific section, an absolute asinine roadblock

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 19, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
okay i think the reason is that. what you'll find from googling generally says that all rock type enemies can drop crystal skulls. but. in actuality it is literally only rock spirits. and rock spirits are the most uncommon enemy spawn. as in, so rare that i still literally cannot get one to spawn. the only things rock golems and rock dolls drop are stones and, if you're lucky, a crusher

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have decided to use action replay on atelier annie

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This thread hasn't become a minefield like I assume the Yakuza thread is now.

How's 7's balance? I assume it's fine to play and plagued with 'really don't wanna grind, hate grinding, can only grind to win battle' comments that all JRPGs that aren't Pokemon are infested with.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

This thread hasn't become a minefield like I assume the Yakuza thread is now.

How's 7's balance? I assume it's fine to play and plagued with 'really don't wanna grind, hate grinding, can only grind to win battle' comments that all JRPGs that aren't Pokemon are infested with.

Its ridiculously easy for about the first 8-9 chapters, not hard but like starts expecting you to work a little for the next few but enemies still aren't super dangerous, and then ends expecting you to be using buffs/debuffs but not like anything crazy.

That said if you venture off the plot trails and do the explicitly for a challenge stuff its not messing around.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm only on Chapter 5 but the combat has been mindlessly easy so far. I feel like it's missing something that'll open up the combat so far cause pretty much every encounter has been just casting my highest damage attacks and nothing else.

Although it's been like 9 hours into the game and I've yet to unlock the job system so we'll see when I get that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah that's pretty much it outside of some bosses you might need to use a buff for.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Well that kinda sucks, I like the game but the combat is probably one of the weaker parts.

E: Bleh and turns out the higher difficulty is only after beating the game.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 19, 2020

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished playing through 7th Dragon 2020-II and by extension, the rest of the series. It's a pretty interesting series, and probably worth a check out. Shame most of the games didn't get localized. Though the fan translation for the PSP games are fairly competent. (DS game's is decent enough, though it has quite a few impactful mistakes in it.) I will say going from VFD to the other games was a real bit of culture shock since it's really not like the previous games in terms of tone, pacing, and gameplay. (For one, VFD's multiple teams mechanic is exclusive to that game. All other games just expect you to make one team and stick with it all the way through.) The environmental design in the PSP games is really vibrant, and the spritework for the DS game is super charming.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 19, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Well that kinda sucks, I like the game but the combat is probably one of the weaker parts.

a lot like every other game in the series in that regard, unfortunately.

at least if they keep going with this format i can see some major improvements being made quite easily for the next game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who made the post where they somehow summarize the insanity of Star Ocean 4? They mention a guy called Edge Maverick, something about Roswell, and accidently blowing up a universe by mistake.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yakuza 7 combat eventually gets pretty hard (especially if you haven't been doing a bunch of side content) but even at its hardest it's basically some Persona 5 combat of "use buffs hit weakness".

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is Berseria worth getting if you never played Tales games before?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Bholder posted:

Is Berseria worth getting if you never played Tales games before?

yes

still my first and only tales game