Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So apparently rescuing cats is going to be A Thing :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

So apparently rescuing cats is going to be A Thing :five:

It's even better than that.

One of the costumes you get includes a cat in a backpack wearing a Spider-Man mask who helps you defeat enemies when you use a finisher.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

One of the costumes you get includes a cat in a backpack wearing a Spider-Man mask who helps you defeat enemies when you use a finisher.

I had a general idea that was gonna happen, and I'm roughly 1000000% on board

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite thing about the cat friend is that its name is not Spider-Cat. Its name is, very specifically, Spider-Man. It is essentially the spidey version of Monster Hunter's palico named literally "Neko (Means Cat)"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spider-man, Spider-man, my cat is also named Spider-man

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Byzantine posted:

Turns out the main character will actually be Eddie.

Honestly, a game abut Eddie Brock as Venom would be great, especially if you give it enough runtime or choices to get to ALL the weird places he's been in the comics.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't want to see Peter again, because his retroactive redesign makes him look like a college sex-offender.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope each new game adds more Spider-characters. Be unexpected, surprise your audience. We all expect that Venom set up will pay off at some point soon, but what if instead of Harry Osborn as Venom we get J Jonah Jameson Venom instead?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TheMostFrench posted:

Someone made all the essential plot twists and memorable segments of Half Life into one 5 minute level so if you're short on time but get nostalgic you can just play that. It is a game with lots of little 'favourite things' so it's nice of someone to stick them all into a tiny package.

It's part of a larger series of custom made maps https://www.thegamer.com/half-pint-mod-half-life/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9zaAPuCOo&t=1051s

The on a rail level made me laugh

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Shai-Hulud posted:

You guys know you can get all them Spider-Men on PS4 right? Yeah you won't have ray tracing and the load times will be pretty rough
The load times in Spider-Miles are actually really quick on the PS4! On my PS4 Pro with the stock HDD, it takes about 15 seconds from the main menu to gameplay, and 2-3 seconds when you fast travel or load a checkpoint. I was super impressed when I saw this, because the original game had some pretty lengthy load screens at times.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That's a purchase for me.

Bussamove posted:

Noi in Dorohedoro is built like a train made of trains who deadlifts trains and is also The Best so she gets double the points.

Two pages late but, Noi is great. One of the best things in Dorohedoro is that every character, even "bad" guys can be relatable. Noi is my favourite character.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

I hope each new game adds more Spider-characters. Be unexpected, surprise your audience. We all expect that Venom set up will pay off at some point soon, but what if instead of Harry Osborn as Venom we get J Jonah Jameson Venom instead?

Iron Jonah or bust.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Push El Burrito posted:

Iron Jonah or bust.

Where is my Clown-9 game?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean hell, all I really want is a true Newspaper Spider-Man game. The cel-shaded suit helped set the mood but it could only go so far.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean hell, all I really want is a true Newspaper Spider-Man game. The cel-shaded suit helped set the mood but it could only go so far.

2 hours of story told over 4 weeks of play time.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Is Mysterio in either Spider-Man or the sequel? I won't play it if he's not.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked the Sphinx in AssCreed origins. Instead of a traditional boss battle it's all resolved with dialogue choices.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

I really liked the Sphinx in AssCreed origins. Instead of a traditional boss battle it's all resolved with dialogue choices.

This in turn reminds me of a fun little bit in Valkyrie Profile (the first one). One of the dungeons is a "puzzle dungeon", which among other things means that you have to correctly answer the Sphinx's riddle to proceed. But you play as a demigoddess valkyrie, she's not gonna fall for that poo poo, so you're presented with 3 dialog options which are all "Man".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love talking my way through boss battles. Mass Effect 1 was great for that. Convincing the final boss to just shoot himself in the head.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

I love talking my way through boss battles. Mass Effect 1 was great for that. Convincing the final boss to just shoot himself in the head.

For all the problems the ending of Mass Effect 3 had I love that the "end boss" of ME3 is talking the Illusive Man down (or getting him to stand in front of your frozen body so you can shoot him). It felt like a more fitting final encounter than shooting a giant terminator.

Although I do like the joke of Marauder Shields being the final boss

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

AssCreed Odyssey is actually great about that. A lot of the time you don't have to fight someone if you don't really want to.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

Man, I hate it when I can make dialog choices that skip boss fights. It stresses me out knowing that dialog options even exist that will make a guy not fight me.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Triarii posted:

Man, I hate it when I can make dialog choices that skip boss fights. It stresses me out knowing that dialog options even exist that will make a guy not fight me.

This is why you can't find people to go to bars with you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Triarii posted:

That seems like a weird overreaction, have you tried talking about it with someone?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Push El Burrito posted:

This is why you can't find people to go to bars with you.

lmao

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

That seems like a weird overreaction, have you tried talking about it with someone?

And take a chance that I might not get in a fight with them? Nice try, fucker

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Triarii posted:

And take a chance that I might not get in a fight with them? Nice try, fucker

*peacefully exits thread*

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I remember there was a single instance where I reloaded a save specifically not to get a diplomatic solution, but I forget exactly when or why. I want to say it was somewhere in Fallout 4, and it was because a speech check I took just to see the failure response on a Charisma 1 character actually succeeded and I didn't like the result.

That's totally Fallout 4's lovely approach to speech checks at fault, though. You can talk your way out of anything with some luck, but it's never satisfying.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Nov 15, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

*peacefully exits thread*

Ah for gently caress's sake. And I forgot to quicksave before this conversation too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Most games where you can talk your way through combat are also games where I think the combat is the least interesting part so it's rarely a loss there.

If I could talk my way through combat in Devil May Cry however you can bet I'd slam-pick the "make a cheesy taunt" button over the "reasonable conversation" button.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Cleretic posted:

I remember there was a single instance where I reloaded a save specifically not to get a diplomatic solution, but I forget exactly when or why. I want to say it was somewhere in Fallout 4, and it was because a speech check I took just to see the failure response on a Charisma 1 character actually succeeded and I didn't like the result.

That's totally Fallout 4's lovely approach to speech checks at fault, though. You can talk your way out of anything with some luck, but it's never satisfying.

I can tell you without knowing what conversation it was: the failure response would be just as dumb as succeeding and probably wouldn't have actually set you back in any way.

"Fallout 4 is never satisfying" is faster to say and gets the same point across.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stealth is way more fun in the Miles Morales game than in PS4 Spidey, thanks to them including Miles' invisibility power. So much more satisfying to whittle down large groups when you can use that to sneak in for one or two at a time. Even better, it makes it a lot easier to recover if you slip up and get everyone in high alert mode since it recharges fast enough that you can dodge for a few seconds and then disappear from sight.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I am very unsettled by the idea that spiders can turn invisible.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Byzantine posted:

How do you think you eat so many? You aren't asleep when that happens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stealth is way more fun in the Miles Morales game than in PS4 Spidey, thanks to them including Miles' invisibility power. So much more satisfying to whittle down large groups when you can use that to sneak in for one or two at a time. Even better, it makes it a lot easier to recover if you slip up and get everyone in high alert mode since it recharges fast enough that you can dodge for a few seconds and then disappear from sight.

The coolest thing about it I think is that rather than not working in combat, it works really well in combat. It stuns enemies which you can then use to either get a free moment to attack or escape from a ground fight to go back into stealth a lot more smoothly than PS4 Spider-Man. This makes it totally viable to shift seamlessly between the two combat styles as you like. You can go all-in on mooks and then if some big grunts or bruisers show up you can retreat and pick them off from the rafters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The coolest thing about it I think is that rather than not working in combat, it works really well in combat. It stuns enemies which you can then use to either get a free moment to attack or escape from a ground fight to go back into stealth a lot more smoothly than PS4 Spider-Man. This makes it totally viable to shift seamlessly between the two combat styles as you like. You can go all-in on mooks and then if some big grunts or bruisers show up you can retreat and pick them off from the rafters.

I figured it'd be tied in to non-combat segments, but it's a lot more fundamental to fighting than I'd guessed. It definitely seems tied into the whole design, I'm at 50% completion and I feel like I'm encountering bigger groups with a fair number of tough enemies than I remember from the first game. I can do alright if I focus on stealth first, but they're giving me trouble if I just go straight in like I mostly did in the first one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Byzantine posted:

Why do you think you can never consistently follow one throughout your room?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Miles Morale is absolutely a smaller game than PS4 Spider-Man but it really helps that Miles is such a genuinely awesome character. The decision to go away from "helping the police" to "has his own app which he uses to help people in need" is a small but inspired choice because it makes Miles genuinely feel more like a people-person and even though he's protecting New York as a whole it helps emphasize that he's a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

The one thing I was really worried about MIles Morales was if it was going to go as hard on the copaganda as in the 2018 game, especially considering who Miles' dad was. I'm really glad they're basically a non-entity this time around. I loved 2018, but it's whole "Our boys in blue" thing was corny when it was released and only came off worse when I replayed it a few weeks ago. Although it was weirdly prescient considering the third act of the game was A city government begins a violent fascist crackdown on innocent protesters while a super lethal virus is destroying the population

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

grittyreboot posted:

The one thing I was really worried about MIles Morales was if it was going to go as hard on the copaganda as in the 2018 game, especially considering who Miles' dad was. I'm really glad they're basically a non-entity this time around. I loved 2018, but it's whole "Our boys in blue" thing was corny when it was released and only came off worse when I replayed it a few weeks ago. Although it was weirdly prescient considering the third act of the game was A city government begins a violent fascist crackdown on innocent protesters while a super lethal virus is destroying the population

The Division games have the "weirdly prescient" thing going on, too. It's kind of surreal to play a game where a deadly flu outbreak has killed hundreds of thousands of people in just a few months and the government's response was, well, not great (though probably better than in the real world - the game shows evidence of having lockdowns and medical checkpoints, at the very least).

The media even gave it a stupid nickname: the dollar flu (because it was spread in New York City on Black Friday using cash covered with modified ebola).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Nov 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

beats for junkies posted:

The Division games have the "weirdly prescient" thing going on, too. It's kind of surreal to play a game where a deadly flu outbreak has killed hundreds of thousands of people in just a few months and the government's response was, well, not great (though probably better than in the real world - the game shows evidence of having lockdowns and medical checkpoints, at the very least).

The media even gave it a stupid nickname: the dollar flu (because it was spread in New York City on Black Friday using cash covered with modified ebola).

The Division 2 unfortunately played into this way too hard imo and made the game a cartoon pastiche of the very thing the first game was mocking openly. In the first game you get the sense that whatever the way to fix society after the Dollar Flu subsides is, the extremely fallible ranks of The Division are not the people who will do it. You're shown firsthand that the Division is not capable of restoring order on its own, and that maybe you should not have sole access to the technology and authority you're given. YOU are a hero, but how many Division agents chose not to be and got away with it? Is it really okay that the "Dark Zone" exists at all? The only people above you are the American Government and they gave you that authority, why are they okay with it? Who should be held accountable?

Then The Division 2 just makes you the fascist, uprising-stomping supercop the first game derided through agents like Aaron Keener. There is no moral grey anymore, it's green health bars versus red health bars and anyone with a red health bar must die. The first game's atmosphere is excellent by comparison, though.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Nov 15, 2020