Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

what mods and hooks for the mods do people even use anymore

Crackdown rebalance mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've been thinking about reinstalling Payday 2. It's been a little over two years since I last played it. Anything big change in that time?

I also heard that there's a Payday 3 in the works.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone getting crash to desktop during loading on the new map? Mods busted again?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

weekly font posted:

Anyone getting crash to desktop during loading on the new map? Mods busted again?
No but I'm getting crash on join without even generating a crash.txt. NFI if that's mods or not because it seems so random but I've stopped using them for now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wolfhud updated and I'm back to stable except I can't make a mask cause the new split color thing loads infinitely. Not sure what mod is breaking it, maybe coins?

edit: yep, Continental Coins is a little broken.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 15, 2020

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

weekly font posted:

edit: yep, Continental Coins is a little broken.

Is that Goonmod Shop Standalone?

maswastaken posted:

No but I'm getting crash on join without even generating a crash.txt. NFI if that's mods or not because it seems so random but I've stopped using them for now.

If you're using Pocohud make sure you get an upgraded version.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/218620/discussions/15/2980781849379353493/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Max Wilco posted:

So I've been thinking about reinstalling Payday 2. It's been a little over two years since I last played it. Anything big change in that time?

I also heard that there's a Payday 3 in the works.

Whole bunch of system improvements, CEO left after driving the dev company into bankruptcy, big ol' main plotline resolution, and a bevy of DLC, good and bad.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Whole bunch of system improvements, CEO left after driving the dev company into bankruptcy, big ol' main plotline resolution, and a bevy of DLC, good and bad.

What was the main plotline resolution? Last big thing I remember was Bain getting kidnapped.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is that Goonmod Shop Standalone?

I believe so

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

What was the main plotline resolution? Last big thing I remember was Bain getting kidnapped.
Short answer: Bain dies.
Long answer: Bain's body succumbs to the No Mercy virus but reincarnates through (presumably) alien technology and steals the identity of the (missing) president. The Dentist dies of bullet to the face and the gang retires insanely rich and slightly meme poisoned.

More recently, the B-team has been screwing with some cartel in Mexico at Vlad's behest as a thing that happens concurrently with the above.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

maswastaken posted:

Short answer: Bain dies.
Long answer: Bain's body succumbs to the No Mercy virus but reincarnates through (presumably) alien technology and steals the identity of the (missing) president. The Dentist dies of bullet to the face and the gang retires insanely rich and slightly meme poisoned.

More recently, the B-team has been screwing with some cartel in Mexico at Vlad's behest as a thing that happens concurrently with the above.

drat, I guess I should give the game a reinstall, because I wasn't expecting any of that. :catstare:

If Bain's dead then does that mean no more new mission narrations from Simon Viklund?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Viklund left Overkill over a year ago and Bane has been more or less replaced by Locke. It's a fair trade, the character of Locke has really grown on me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bbcisdabomb posted:

Viklund left Overkill over a year ago and Bane has been more or less replaced by Locke. It's a fair trade, the character of Locke has really grown on me.
If only Locke was a wee bit more understandable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kerels

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Kek, a bunch of dwankies are coming. What Kakspul, yeah? For sure.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm just playing the new DLC for the first time and I'm loving Locke's rambling stories about the time he saw an animal once.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_African_slang_words

You're welcome.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Locke's a bit less understandable but he's got a lot more personality than "Guys, the thermal drill. Go get it."

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Does Locke know what noise a goat makes?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tempest_56 posted:

Locke's a bit less understandable but he's got a lot more personality than "Guys, the thermal drill. Go get it."

look at this poor, sad individual who never used pocohud to spam that very phrase

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

After waiting for the game to download today, I played for about four hours. I already feel burnout setting in, but then I only played old maps, and none of the new content (though I don't know how many people are hosting it).

It doesn't help that the stealth in Payday 2 is still just as frustrating and tedious as it was two years ago. I thought maybe they had adapted that mod for unlimited pager calls, but no; it's still a limit of four. Trying to do Car Shop is still an utter crapshoot.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

After waiting for the game to download today, I played for about four hours. I already feel burnout setting in, but then I only played old maps, and none of the new content (though I don't know how many people are hosting it).

It doesn't help that the stealth in Payday 2 is still just as frustrating and tedious as it was two years ago. I thought maybe they had adapted that mod for unlimited pager calls, but no; it's still a limit of four. Trying to do Car Shop is still an utter crapshoot.

Yeah, I never really enjoy stealth, except on the few levels where you can just kill all the guards. It feels like a different game that needs a checkpoint system. Yacht heist is ok, I like the easy access to the ocean as a way to dump body bags and secure loot. Still can be pretty frustrating.
For payday 3, I hope they add more variety to replaying heists, or map making tools for the community, the grind is pretty tedious after a while.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Roxors posted:

Yeah, I never really enjoy stealth, except on the few levels where you can just kill all the guards. It feels like a different game that needs a checkpoint system. Yacht heist is ok, I like the easy access to the ocean as a way to dump body bags and secure loot. Still can be pretty frustrating.
For payday 3, I hope they add more variety to replaying heists, or map making tools for the community, the grind is pretty tedious after a while.

I remember a bit of the Yacht Heist back before I stopped playing, along with that one where you're trying to steal something from an office building or something.

-

I also like the missions where you're tasked with taking out a few guards for a quiet heist (like Harvest & Trustee). True it does trivialize the mission greatly if you pull it off, but it still takes some coordination, and the game incentivizes you to do so (the 10% EXP bonus).

After I was done trying Car Shop this evening (or to be more accurate, when the host gave up), I thought about the setup of the mission, and how it works with the stealth system.

• To start out, you have first figure out where the storage room is, so you know where to get the keys to drive the cars off the lot. The first issue is that the storage room is never consistent; it always changes floors (and I think the general location) on each attempt.
  • You're barred from taking the stairs in the lobby up to the second floor, because if you're in casing mode, you can't get too close to guards, or they'll make you and go into alert. However, you aren't actually barred from being on the second floor. If one player masks up, then they can unlock the door(s) for a player who's still unmasked to explore the second floor to find the storage room.
  • However, after finding the storage room, you then need to find the manager, who has the keycard. The player(s) in casing mode can explore pretty freely, but players who have masked up have to be more cautious, because they will noticed by guards and civilians. The masked up players are also the only ones who can capture/kill the manager to get the keycard. I know there's a perk where you can pick up cards and stuff in casing mode, but unless it's changed, you still can't interact with anything (which you need to do to get in the manager's office and to activate the computer).
  • The general stealth detection system is sketchy, because even with the best concealment, guards can still detect you real quickly, and there's no real concrete way to deal with them, apart from, 'don't get seen'. The only tools you have to distract them with are the ECM and the mines, but in a lot of cases, the ECM just works as a way to delay an inevitable alarm, and the mines just serve as a way to monitor guards from across the map. If you get caught, you can take a guard out, but you have to be careful not to hit something like a window or breakable object, because that will alert the entire map, and then you're screwed.
  • You only have a maximum of four pagers calls before security makes you and calls the alarm, which means you have to be real selective about who you take out. Now the thing is, that on its own isn't entirely bad. If you're observant, you could potentially see where key guard positions are, and take out the one that cause the most issue. However, even if you do successfully take out guards and hide the bodies, you'll get a call from Bain saying, "they've brought in new security people" , so now you've got the near the same (if not the same) amount of guards to deal with as previously, but no more room for mistakes.
  • Once you get to the manager's computer, you've got to find the terminal that will allow you to hack into the door to open the storage room, which is back on the first floor. Again, if you're in casing mode, you can move around freely, but you can't activate the computer to start the hack.
  • Here's the worse part, and this isn't even to do with stealth. Once the door's been hacked, you have to plant the C4 outside to start the actual heist. Once it is planted, and all the players are inside, the C4 goes off, and you go from playing Payday 2 to GTA4 with keyboard controls. All four players have to get to the storage room, get the keys, get into a car (be it one car for each, or two players to one car), and drive out of the dealership, make their way through the tunnels, get the cars parked in the storage containers, and then get to the getaway van. All four players must do this in a very strict time limit. You can stealth the mission perfectly, but if one person gets the car stuck in the tunnel, or doesn't make to the container in time, then the mission is a failure. Even if all four players get the car parked in the storage containers, if one player doesn't get out the car and dash over to the escape van area (which is what happened in one attempt), the game still deems that as a failure.

I was going to say, "Granted, that's just one bad mission. Stealth isn't the focus of the game", but then I remembered that Shadow Raid is the same way. There's no driving, but it's still the issue of, 'if you raise an alarm, then the mission's over'. With missions that allow both loud & stealth, then you can pick gear that allows you to be sneaky, but also be prepared if things go loud (although that rarely happens, since most people just restart the mission when stealth fails anyway).

TL;DR Complaints about Payday 2 stealth that everyone's already aware of.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Stealth in this game is terrible and I don't understand how so many people enjoy it. They've never managed to properly address its many major problems - from the lack of a proper distraction mechanic to the RNG-based pathing of NPCs on the map to the total lack of an intermediate failure state. Many who for some odd reason adore this game mode will deny it, but success on the big stealth maps (ie those with more than 4 guards) is largely luck-based. That's not even counting the major problem of desync being able to cause - and often causing - stealth heists with multiple players to fail.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Psion posted:

look at this poor, sad individual who never used pocohud to spam that very phrase

Counterpoint: I've got pocohud, what do I need Bain for? :colbert:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

as a Jiro main I just assume we don't understand each other at all, which fits cuz I shoot cops instead of playing objectives :colbert:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The only good thing about stealth is being able to rag on it and/or car shop all day every day and never lack for support or amusing stories. And the Public Stealth Game video series. But in short:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The best way to fix stealth would be to take the entire mechanic and slam dunk it into a loving dumpster because it sucks an absolutely incredible amount

Also the bernetti rangehitter/marlin actually becomes extremely good and cool if you actually take sniper skills for it like graze and the reload speed bonus on headshots and a red dot sight you're comfortable with, I am sorry I doubted it before.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

TL;DR Complaints about Payday 2 stealth that everyone's already aware of.

Consider for a moment that you're playing the improved version of Car Shop.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

After I was done trying Car Shop this evening (or to be more accurate, when the host gave up), I thought about the setup of the mission, and how it works with the stealth system.

A bunch of this doesn't work the way you think it does.

[*]To start out, you have first figure out where the storage room is, so you know where to get the keys to drive the cars off the lot. The first issue is that the storage room is never consistent; it always changes floors (and I think the general location) on each attempt.

There are only two storage room locations. The room can be determined from the roof, as can the location of the manager.

[*]Once you get to the manager's computer, you've got to find the terminal that will allow you to hack into the door to open the storage room, which is back on the first floor. Again, if you're in casing mode, you can move around freely, but you can't activate the computer to start the hack.

It can be on either floor. you do, in fact, have to move through the map in stealth.

[*]You only have a maximum of four pagers calls before security makes you and calls the alarm, which means you have to be real selective about who you take out. Now the thing is, that on its own isn't entirely bad. If you're observant, you could potentially see where key guard positions are, and take out the one that cause the most issue. However, even if you do successfully take out guards and hide the bodies, you'll get a call from Bain saying, "they've brought in new security people" , so now you've got the near the same (if not the same) amount of guards to deal with as previously, but no more room for mistakes.

This only happens on a handful of maps, and only if you've killed/hidden four guards. It does not happen on car shop.

[*]However, after finding the storage room, you then need to find the manager, who has the keycard. The player(s) in casing mode can explore pretty freely, but players who have masked up have to be more cautious, because they will noticed by guards and civilians. The masked up players are also the only ones who can capture/kill the manager to get the keycard. I know there's a perk where you can pick up cards and stuff in casing mode, but unless it's changed, you still can't interact with anything (which you need to do to get in the manager's office and to activate the computer).

The manager has a continuous ambient voice track so you can tell where he is.

Wastrel_ posted:

Many who for some odd reason adore this game mode will deny it, but success on the big stealth maps (ie those with more than 4 guards) is largely luck-based.

In short, people like stealth in payday 2 because it requires learning the details of how each map works. It's luck-based if you don't spend time learning it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also FWIW it's not like success in shoot cop isn't often determined by random factors as well.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

John Murdoch posted:

Also FWIW it's not like success in shoot cop isn't often determined by random factors as well.

WhirrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

If using the trench gun and frenchman revolver with shotgun overkill AND ace berserker, but no frenzy, whilst using maniac in a suit on deathwish since it actually gives you 100% more damage resistance now and packing ace inspire along is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

When both boosts are active you can kill unarmored cops one with bodyshot, and I don't think anything dies in more than one headshot from either gun barring dozers, which die in 3 hits once the visor is gone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I should note car shop used to be absolutely atrocious before one of the overkill mappers made it a personal project to fix the map before he left. It used to be that during the hacking step, one randomly selected guard (two on higher difficulties) would be silently told to walk to the computer hack, where (usually) they would alert off of it. The hack would also stay onscreen adn be able to alert people after it finished. And the silent guard-calling script could call dead guards, doing nothing. and guards could just walk into the rooms where hacking was going on as a part of their random patrols. All of that poo poo was removed, on top of a dozen other fixes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

I should note car shop used to be absolutely atrocious before one of the overkill mappers made it a personal project to fix the map before he left. It used to be that during the hacking step, one randomly selected guard (two on higher difficulties) would be silently told to walk to the computer hack, where (usually) they would alert off of it. The hack would also stay onscreen adn be able to alert people after it finished. And the silent guard-calling script could call dead guards, doing nothing. and guards could just walk into the rooms where hacking was going on as a part of their random patrols. All of that poo poo was removed, on top of a dozen other fixes.

Yeah the guards being alerted by the hack was particularly bullshit since it was basically just a random chance to lose. I don't mind that kind of thing in heists where failing stealth just means you go loud with a bit of a head start, but in Car Shop it's basically just "RNG to have to restart".

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't mind that kind of thing in heists where failing stealth just means you go loud with a bit of a head start, but in Car Shop it's basically just "RNG to have to restart".
So most of the Silk Road heists, Bank Heist and maybe two others? Might as well have said stealth can go do one.

gently caress Framing Frame. gently caress Golden Grin. gently caress The Bomb: Dockyard.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

:allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's actually a common issue where there's a script to call a random guard (it is used in a couple launch heists to tell someone to check a broken camera). The game doesn't have a clean way for a map script to maintain a list of guards that are alive.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 18, 2020

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Even fixed repeatedly, Car Shop remains possibly the worst heist in the game and easily in the bottom three.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

Even fixed repeatedly, Car Shop remains possibly the worst heist in the game and easily in the bottom three.

Safehouse nightmare, cursed kill room, henry's rock and lab rats all want a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shadow Raid is good, Yacht is okay, everything else is various levels of bad bottoming out with Car Shop