Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the first season is honestly pretty weak, and i had to power through it on goon recommendation alone, but from there on out, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Does anybody have good recommendations for fighting sports manga with female main characters? I知 reading Teppu right now and enjoying it a lot although I hear it has a bad ending. I liked Hanakaku too although it got canceled way too quick. I知 also reading Batuque but I find the crime story side of it a bit ridiculous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nrook posted:

Does anybody have good recommendations for fighting sports manga with female main characters? I知 reading Teppu right now and enjoying it a lot although I hear it has a bad ending. I liked Hanakaku too although it got canceled way too quick. I知 also reading Batuque but I find the crime story side of it a bit ridiculous.

Not quite female mains but there's a lot of time and plot given to the female characters in All Rounder Meguru that might be worth a look.

Girls of the Wilds is a manwha mostly about girls fighting, there's a male MC also but probably the majority of the fights are womens iirc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

nrook posted:

Does anybody have good recommendations for fighting sports manga with female main characters?

Keijo!!!!!!!!.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hayate x blade exists if you want a swordfighting manga filled with jokes about the partner system being a metaphor for lesbian marriage that's written by an author who drew yuri doujins about the flirty older girl in marimite

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

It isn't really a bad ending so much as it ended early due to the author's health issues, or so the rumor goes.

I'm pretty behind on it, but Asahinagu was pretty good at the start, sport naginata manga.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 12, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah Teppu's ending isn't the worst thing in the world but its basically just a tweet explaining how the series would've ended. All they've done since then is a short Parasyte spinoff manga so I have to imagine the health thing is true, or they just lost a lot of their passion for manga. Shame since Teppuu was great, and while their art wasn't amazing they were really good at conveying both motion and emotion.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

nrook posted:

Happy!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
All Rounder Meguru is pretty good and a fighting sports manga and has female characters who aren't just accessories to the MC, and zero fanservice that I can recall, but they're definitely not main characters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I feel like there's a manga about a female kendo practitioner that I am forgetting....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bamboo Blade? Or something else?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's a 16 volume women's boxing manga if you know japanese called rice shoulder

Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu is a boxing romcom

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

Bamboo Blade? Or something else?

Yeah I think that was it. I didn't read beyond like a couple chapters, wasn't for me, but might fit their request.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bamboo blade is decent but not amazing, but it has an incredible gag where the coach tries to sell his sega saturn to get money for equipment, only he forgets about it and leaves it in his car, and one of the kids takes it with them and sets it in the stands, so they just cut to the sega saturn along with the reaction shots of everyone else whenever anything big happens, for the entire tournament.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

bamboo blade is decent but not amazing, but it has an incredible gag where the coach tries to sell his sega saturn to get money for equipment, only he forgets about it and leaves it in his car, and one of the kids takes it with them and sets it in the stands, so they just cut to the sega saturn along with the reaction shots of everyone else whenever anything big happens, for the entire tournament.

lmao that's a solid gag

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its generally a pretty funny series but at least up to where i read it never got like *super* serious. there were some decent kendo fights but it never got full haikyuu, this passion is the pinnacle of our life stuff. just a decent comedy/girls hanging out series where they go to kendo tournaments sometimes. it's not completely downplayed or anything, they care about kendo and the lead girl is good at it, but it's kept at a fairly normal level. maybe that changes later on into it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Endorph posted:

Yeah Teppu's ending isn't the worst thing in the world but its basically just a tweet explaining how the series would've ended. All they've done since then is a short Parasyte spinoff manga so I have to imagine the health thing is true, or they just lost a lot of their passion for manga. Shame since Teppuu was great, and while their art wasn't amazing they were really good at conveying both motion and emotion.

Yeah the ending was better than I expected; it was definitely a "oh, we decided to end it early here" but the first arc got to come to a good conclusion.

Thanks for all the recommendations everybody!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I知 watching Yu Yu Hakusho and Outlaw Star both for the first time. Loving it. (Especially Yu Yu). I wanna balance my lineup out with an old school Toonami mech anime. I致e seen none of the classics. What giant robot cartoon would pair best with those other two shows?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Big O

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Big O yeah.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks. Big O it is.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
If you really wanna go period with it, there's a fair amount of old Toonami interstitial material you could also check out like promos and even a couple pseudo music videos.

Outlaw Star promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPBJRzW2HM
Multi-show (mostly Outlaw Star) promo/music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUM7h4SVsA

Big O promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_HTdn3NPE

Yu Yu Hakusho promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hADGS93dGO4

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sweet seratonin...

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
I'd like to reccomend "blame!" By a good friend of mine.

It's about a very average guy with a super gun.

My review, without adding photos is as follows:

There is a good story to it . The man is climbing up a monolithic tower for a personal reason. On his way, he encounters many odd situations, completely unrelated to eachother. The art features many bleak and imposing visuals involving rotting metal as the world it takes place in is so gigantic that many places have been long abandoned.

It's been put into hardback large sized volumes which I suggest.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

what are some good anime series that i've missed? just looking for real high quality stuff. I like all the good classic stuff that's mostly well known and well liked: berserk, serial experiments lain, samurai champloo, evangelion, db+dbz, monster, parasyte, cowboy bebop, hajime no ippo. i didn't like one piece and naruto (i thought they had terrible pacing), didn't like attack on titan (bad animation, pacing), etc. thank you for your time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julius Seizure posted:

what are some good anime series that i've missed? just looking for real high quality stuff. I like all the good classic stuff that's mostly well known and well liked: berserk, serial experiments lain, samurai champloo, evangelion, db+dbz, monster, parasyte, cowboy bebop, hajime no ippo. i didn't like one piece and naruto (i thought they had terrible pacing), didn't like attack on titan (bad animation, pacing), etc. thank you for your time
have you seen hunter x hunter

also other stuff with involvement from some of the lain staff, like kino no tabi 2003, big o, digimon tamers

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

no, i haven't. thanks for the recommendations, i will definitely peruse

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julius Seizure posted:

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood? Both seasons of Mob Psycho 100?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julius Seizure posted:

I'd say check out Yu Yu Hakusho, Togashi's other work as well. It's a bit slow to start but it gets pretty good from there on out.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Julius Seizure posted:

While not that well known Shinsekai Yori is pretty great (does start slow though).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Junkozeyne posted:

While not that well known Shinsekai Yori is pretty great (does start slow though).

The middle is also slow. IMO, it's only good when it starts building to the climaxes which is what...7 episodes out of 26. :shrug:
I dunno. I ended up dropping it partway through twice because I never really liked any of the characters and the plot/setting could never grab me outside a few moments in the first half and near the end.

Edit: I might as well put some recommendations of my own instead of making GBS threads on others'.

I don't really have a Top-whatever anime list, but if I did, it would probably include the following:
-Steins;Gate
-Madoka Magica
-Hunter x Hunter (2011)
-Escaflowne
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Usagi Drop
-Kaguya-sama ~ Love is War
-Nichijou
-Mob Psycho 100

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 21, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Julius Seizure posted:

Megalobox

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Julius Seizure posted:

Try Baccano. It's a show about prohibition era gangsters with an absolutely killer soundtrack and a fantastic dub if that's more your speed. It's only 16 episodes to so it moves quickly.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julius Seizure posted:

Hellsing Ultimate, Mob Psycho 100, Re:ZERO, and Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba would probably be worth checking out.

If you have any interest at all in comedy Konosuba should be your first stop.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Wow! that's a lot of recommendations. thanks a lot, I really do appreciate it. I'll look all those up and start watching the thing that intrigues me the most

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Julius Seizure posted:

If you want a sports series, Run With The Wind is amazing.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Julius Seizure posted:

Terror in Resonance is from the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop and is v. good

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(sorry if I'm in the wrong thread, looked at a couple general threads and this seems like the closest to a general Q&A thread).

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who takes commissions to translates manga? I have a 40-page all-ages manga that was published on twitter I want to commission a translation for. I don't need a full-on scanlation (although wouldn't mind if it's not that much more expensive than just a translation), just a script.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chuu posted:

(sorry if I'm in the wrong thread, looked at a couple general threads and this seems like the closest to a general Q&A thread).

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who takes commissions to translates manga? I have a 40-page all-ages manga that was published on twitter I want to commission a translation for. I don't need a full-on scanlation (although wouldn't mind if it's not that much more expensive than just a translation), just a script.
A lot of scanlation groups take commissions, you can try checking the credits of scans you read. They usually say when they're taking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

A lot of scanlation groups take commissions, you can try checking the credits of scans you read. They usually say when they're taking them.

Thanks for the advice. I actually don't read Manga so I am kind of starting from scratch here, but will poke around.