Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah the newspaper clippings replace the epigraphs and are very thematic that Era 2 is like 1890's turn of the century.

I do love looking for little Cosmere clues in them too. I'll spoiler this as someone's reading it now, Someone put out an ad looking for Nightblood or other awakened items in one of them. Something like "Do you have something that talks to you? Pot telling you to cook something?Knife telling you to hunt criminals? Come on down and talk to us about it." Pretty sure it was the same person who was involved in the Arcanums, and who danced with Wax and was curious about the physics of his abilities but I forget her name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

seaborgium posted:

I do love looking for little Cosmere clues in them too. I'll spoiler this as someone's reading it now, Someone put out an ad looking for Nightblood or other awakened items in one of them. Something like "Do you have something that talks to you? Pot telling you to cook something?Knife telling you to hunt criminals? Come on down and talk to us about it." Pretty sure it was the same person who was involved in the Arcanums, and who danced with Wax and was curious about the physics of his abilities but I forget her name.

Large cosmere spoliers

Its Khriss, one of the more notable worldhoppers, who also writes all the Ars Arcanum appendicies:
https://coppermind.net/wiki/Khrissalla

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I wish that more fandom wikis had buttons or checkboxes that you could click that would adjust the amount of spoilers accordingly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I wish that more fandom wikis had buttons or checkboxes that you could click that would adjust the amount of spoilers accordingly.

Yeah. I really wish all wikis would keep the base pages pretty spoiler free and then break the spoilers down by book.

Like you shouldn't start out a wiki page with "Kelsier was the leader of the skaa rebellion until he was killed by the Lord Ruler."

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I really wish all wikis would keep the base pages pretty spoiler free and then break the spoilers down by book.

Like you shouldn't start out a wiki page with "Kelsier was the leader of the skaa rebellion until he was killed by the Lord Ruler."

Stay away from those wiki pages, a wiki on kelsier would spoil a lot of books for you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Gardenator posted:

Stay away from those wiki pages, a wiki on kelsier would spoil a lot of books for you.

Totally. That’s why I’m just staying in this thread (and am constantly bombarding it with thoughts and questions).

Wiki pages should be just a general description of a person/place/item/concept with breakout sections for each book where it is important/referenced. It drives me crazy when the very first sentence is massive spoilers.

This also happens a lot when some characters are referred to in present tense and others are in past tense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

apparently some of the people behind the coppermind wiki are working on a framework for doing book-by-book nospoiler wikis in general, we'll see if anything comes of it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well of Ascension chapters 17/18

At first it seemed like Zane wanted to gently caress Vin (maybe he does) but then just lol at the start of 18 “Zane was Elend’s brother” just dropping that casually out of nowhere.

I appreciate Zane’s character already because I’ve been wondering why Mistborn were so willing to be followers. Why hasn’t one tried to lead a nation themselves? Seems better than a normal man.

Also, I appreciate that Sanderson didn’t drag out that reveal. I felt like I only had a little more patience left with “mysterious watcher” character. It was the perfect time for the reveals.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Didn't think I'd come back until done but got ebook early and excited for this confirmation:

ROW Chapter 24
The 11th confirmed shard name is called Invention.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

Didn't think I'd come back until done but got ebook early and excited for this confirmation:

how do i get an ebook early

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

how do i get an ebook early

Usually by having a connection in the industry

insider
Feb 22, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Usually by having a connection in the industry

A non Amazon site already released it. It's floating out there on the high seas of you want to put your pirate patch on.

Next chapter has even more confirmations. Brandon must be tired of everyone guessing haha.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

There were folks up thread that said some distributed released early. I have my hardcover ordered, but I did do a quick Google on the usual suspect online ebook places and didn’t see any which kind of surprises me to be honest. I know I could read preview chapters but I’d rather have kindle format or my hardcover.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It'll be out in a few days keep your pants on jeez

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

M_Gargantua posted:

It'll be out in a few days keep your pants on jeez

Sir this is a Wendy's

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Got my copy and finished it, can't believe [spioler]kaladin falls down a flight of stairs, lands on his shardblade and dies[/spoiler]

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that one scene where Lift steps on like a hundred shardrakes in a row was a little much

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Well of Ascension might be a bit weaker than The Final Empire but there are two things I look forward to:

1 - Straf getting loving wrecked. He is such an amazing "I love to hate him" villain. I don't know how he'll die (I assume he'll die by the end of the book) but holy gently caress will it be satisfying. gently caress that guy. I love every moment he's in the story. gently caress him.

2 - Jastes getting hosed up by the koloss. Dude is clearly a tremendous loving moron and completely in over his head. I hope he's torn apart. Only other alternative is it ending with him begging Elend to save/protect him and becoming a loving joke to everyone. I'd rather he die.

Jastes feels like he is basically:

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Mordiceius posted:

The Well of Ascension might be a bit weaker than The Final Empire but there are two things I look forward to:

1 - Straf getting loving wrecked. He is such an amazing "I love to hate him" villain. I don't know how he'll die (I assume he'll die by the end of the book) but holy gently caress will it be satisfying. gently caress that guy. I love every moment he's in the story. gently caress him.

Oohh boy.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i will note that while i know nothing about :files:, you can switch your kindle's content preferences to pretend you live in Australia and buy the book legally right now

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was just reading Tor's "quick and dirty recap" of the first 3 books and mannnn I forgot that (OB) Moash killed Jezrien.

I've been thinking more about what I want to see in RoW, and subsequently Book #5 but it's just so hard to narrow it down to a meaningfully small list. I just want more of everything. I need to know all of the things.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

ROW Chapter 24
The 11th confirmed shard name is called Invention.

ch24/25 ROW spoilers

he really does just straight up say them! lol i didn't expect that and i definitely did not expect Whimsy and Mercy and Valor, but i guess we knew there had to be more positive traits out there

i wonder what the twists to these epigraphs are, obv it looks like harmony writing back to hoid again but i'm skeptical epigraphs are ever what they seem at first

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Reading Mordiceius's posts like

insider
Feb 22, 2007

eke out posted:

ch24/25 ROW spoilers

he really does just straight up say them! lol i didn't expect that and i definitely did not expect Whimsy and Mercy and Valor, but i guess we knew there had to be more positive traits out there

i wonder what the twists to these epigraphs are, obv it looks like harmony writing back to hoid again but i'm skeptical epigraphs are ever what they seem at first

Yea I was shocked he just casually drops the names of 4 more when we've been speculating for so many years lol. I wonder if he's saving the last two for something special or hell maybe he drops them later in the book haha.

Edit marked as spoiler as requested but my comment has no spoiler in it.

insider fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 17, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^^It's so hard not to click that spoiler after reading that comment. Ughhh I need it to be tomorrow.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

^^It's so hard not to click that spoiler after reading that comment. Ughhh I need it to be tomorrow.

insider with all due respect please spoiler tag your post, I might not be receiving my copy of RoW until later this week

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Time to stop lurking this thread until after I read RoW.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yeaaa I'm gonna abandon ship tomorrow morning.

Although I guess I'll have to bookmark the thread filtered to only show Mord's posts so I can keep up on the First Time Mistborn series :)

I'll probably continue to post hot takes but likely won't read any responses :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Everyone needs to abandon ship from this thread so that it can just become my personal thread for live posting my reactions to the original Mistborn trilogy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Everyone needs to abandon ship from this thread so that it can just become my personal thread for live posting my reactions to the original Mistborn trilogy.

I wouldn't mind that... at least until I can get my copy of RoW :D

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just click on the question mark near a given username to filter a thread to only show that user's posts

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

eke out posted:

i will note that while i know nothing about :files:, you can switch your kindle's content preferences to pretend you live in Australia and buy the book legally right now

You also have to shop on Amazon.co.au or whatever. But it worked.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, the artwork is so gorgeous, and there's more than in any Stormlight book before. Also, it's two in the morning now, I need to go to sleep and can't continue reading. :cry:

Thanks so much for the hint, eke out!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I got an alert that said it was available, but then it wasn't available. i am very sad now.

Any idea when preorders unlock? Is it EST or by timezone?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

whole book is loving wild y'all, way bigger cosmere reveals than oathbringer lol

i will not even post them spoilered for the sake of The Thread

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I got an alert that said it was available, but then it wasn't available. i am very sad now.

Any idea when preorders unlock? Is it EST or by timezone?

someone earlier said aussies got it, so timezone?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's out now, it just appeared in my Kindle library

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

whole book is loving wild y'all, way bigger cosmere reveals than oathbringer lol

i will not even post them spoilered for the sake of The Thread

This is so true. I raced through it like a madman after only 4 hours of sleep, and I have a lot of thoughts to write about. But I won't even risk accidentally spoiling anybody here for a few days. But this book is sooo good, especially if you're a fan of the wider Cosmere. And the epigraphs are again really cool, plus new chapter icons! Brandon once again delivered a masterpiece.

This isn't even really a spoiler, but the reveals and plot twists in this book top everything that came before it. And I absolutely believe you need to have at least read the Mistborn books plus Warbreaker to fully understand some rather important revelations, but stuff from Elantris and Taldain and Threnody has quite some significance for a few plot beats as well.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 17, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I go to work in an hour, on no sleep. I knew I shouldn't have started RoW yesterday, I wouldn't be able to sleep until I finished it.

Holy loving poo poo. No spoilers. Just... holy loving poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

See y’all in like a week, thread.