Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I hope Kim appreciates my moonbrained cop snapping back to lucidity to tell the racist lorry driver to go gently caress himself before floating away again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just beat this game for the first time. question about the ending: was there anything i could have done to go to the island (or i guess find the actual killer elsewhere) before then? the game felt more like a visual novel than a mystery you were supposed to be able to solve yourself - which is totally fine - it just felt like sorta out of left field esp when there's parts where the game is just screaming at you "the killer was a obviously a sniper very far away" but it didn't seem like you could do anything with that info

all together it was very good, my only complaint is that they spelled "Frittte" with two T's in the end credits

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Countblanc posted:

just beat this game for the first time. question about the ending: was there anything i could have done to go to the island (or i guess find the actual killer elsewhere) before then? the game felt more like a visual novel than a mystery you were supposed to be able to solve yourself - which is totally fine - it just felt like sorta out of left field esp when there's parts where the game is just screaming at you "the killer was a obviously a sniper very far away" but it didn't seem like you could do anything with that info

all together it was very good, my only complaint is that they spelled "Frittte" with two T's in the end credits

Nope, that part of the plot is set and has to go in a particular order- the key thing is that the island is the absolute last place that the detective and Kim are going to look, both because of its isolation and the practicalities of getting there, and because the abandoned building across the bay is so much more likely for a sniper. (and DOES have someone hiding in it, with the confrontation kicking off the penultimate confrontation and all) The killer is basically just laying low in a very secure hiding space very successfully.

Kind of a big theme with the murder is that A: the characters live in the real world, they're going to assume things happened in a practical and realistic fashion rather than a dramatic, video-gamey one, and secondly that the circumstances of the murder are so deliberately obfuscated that it takes enough investigation just to figure out that he was shot in the first place.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Playing right now. Day 4. I needed a few quick loads, but it was worth it, I learned about the existential dread that is the Pale and how it relates to the church. Cool!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Disco Elysium is all about the journey, not the destination. It's the artistic pinnacle of the genre that Telltale started with The Walking Dead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nope, that part of the plot is set and has to go in a particular order- the key thing is that the island is the absolute last place that the detective and Kim are going to look, both because of its isolation and the practicalities of getting there, and because the abandoned building across the bay is so much more likely for a sniper. (and DOES have someone hiding in it, with the confrontation kicking off the penultimate confrontation and all) The killer is basically just laying low in a very secure hiding space very successfully.

Kind of a big theme with the murder is that A: the characters live in the real world, they're going to assume things happened in a practical and realistic fashion rather than a dramatic, video-gamey one, and secondly that the circumstances of the murder are so deliberately obfuscated that it takes enough investigation just to figure out that he was shot in the first place.

Doesn't the visual calculus check on the balcony say the island was the most likely site the shot could have been made from? it is a little goofy that you have to put off visiting the most suspect location because ugh you have to get a boat and it's a load of effort why don't we check out this empty factory instead

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

multijoe posted:

Doesn't the visual calculus check on the balcony say the island was the most likely site the shot could have been made from? it is a little goofy that you have to put off visiting the most suspect location because ugh you have to get a boat and it's a load of effort why don't we check out this empty factory instead

Nah, from memory it lists the island as a potential sniper location, but that the building on the boardwalk (and I think somewhere else too) are more likely locations. I think Harry works out that there's like, a 4% chance it came from the island, or something.

By the way, are there any pics of all the 'paint on the wall' task results? I couldn't find fuel in the end, so I wasn't able to do it myself :(

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Alchenar posted:

Disco Elysium is all about the journey, not the destination. It's the artistic pinnacle of the genre that Telltale started with The Walking Dead.

The idea of story decisions have been a big focus of the last decade of rpgs, and I think DE makes the smart choice of focusing on making them meaningful as a matter of character expression then having them change later plot points.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

multijoe posted:

I'm pretty sure it says it was the least likely. I remember thinking at the time "oh, it's gonna be that one in the end then"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JustaDamnFool posted:

The idea of story decisions have been a big focus of the last decade of rpgs

No it hasn't, not really. At best it's been a periphery PR talking point in most rpgs, with it being an actual focus in a tiny fraction. Like, outside of the Telltale catalogue and DE the closest you get is the likes of Mass Effect 2 and the Witcher, where even there most choices are really a binary between "I am happy about this" and "I am angry about this".

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What happens if you try to run the made up serial number on the boots?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Alchenar posted:

To me, Disco Elysium is like a story RPG in the vein of Planescape Torment except somewhere, somebody made the key design choice to not waste the player's time with nearly as much bullshit. And I say this as someone who likes CRPGs, if the OG Wasteland avatar doesn't indicate this.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Can we talk about how amazingly well the game's internal dialogue depicts what it's like to flashback to a triggering memory? How everything slightly connected to the memory becomes tainted, the panicky attempts to dance around the issue, the feeling that you're being stalked by a torturer, I feel so much for how badly your cop processes it.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm pretty sure it says it was the least likely. I remember thinking at the time "oh, it's gonna be that one in the end then"

My favourite part of this check is my Calculus-challenged cop couldn't get it until after Klaasje literally leaves you a giant obvious red string to point it out

And then I still rolled a critical fail, which the game just sighed and moved past.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are no 100% pure roadblocks in the game. The Shivers check that many people think is a roadblock actually isn't.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

wiegieman posted:

There are no 100% pure roadblocks in the game. The Shivers check that many people think is a roadblock actually isn't.

That Shivers check can be failed enough to be a roadblock, technically. It’s just much harder to do than people believe. Not having enough money in the second night is also possible which is another roadblock, unless that was fixed in a patch? That said, I don’t mind games with failures states. Keeps it spicy!

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

chaosapiant posted:

Not having enough money in the second night is also possible which is another roadblock, unless that was fixed in a patch?

They added the option to (achievement spoiler) try sleeping in the trash container outside the Whirling-In-Rags, which gives you a game over and lets you reload from an earlier save

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
loving lol at Failing to shut down(punch) The Cuno and getting hurt, thus now I have a new quest to try to make a truce with him by offering something he may like.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

EorayMel posted:

loving lol at Failing to shut down(punch) The Cuno and getting hurt, thus now I have a new quest to try to make a truce with him by offering something he may like.

The offering is speed.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Many, many pages ago, there was some discussion about how difficult it would be to make Disco Elysium into a movie. I have an idea. The movie is streaming on whatever service, or on its own unique thing, and there are dice rolls hidden from the viewer. The outcome of these rolls determines what take will be played for a scene. You know how so much of a film is cut out, usually? Well, all those cut takes can be put to good use. Some of them are just subtle differences. Some of them have major effects on the plot and influence future dice rolls. Each viewing of the movie is unique.

I realize this will never happen, but if it did, and if it succeeded commercially, it would spawn a new genre of film.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

and there are dice rolls hidden from the viewer

so, a videogame

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Sounds a bit like what Netflix tried to do with Bandersnatch.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

She didn't say there was any user choice involve, right? Just random uniqueness. There's actually a couple movies that have done similiar things, right? Where different people randomly see different versions?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I could only imagine a movie version of DE working by having the actual aspects physically appearing, with only Harry noticing/acknowledging them.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Samovar posted:

I could only imagine a movie version of DE working by having the actual aspects physically appearing, with only Harry noticing/acknowledging them.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Animal-Mother posted:

Many, many pages ago, there was some discussion about how difficult it would be to make Disco Elysium into a movie. I have an idea. The movie is streaming on whatever service, or on its own unique thing, and there are dice rolls hidden from the viewer. The outcome of these rolls determines what take will be played for a scene. You know how so much of a film is cut out, usually? Well, all those cut takes can be put to good use. Some of them are just subtle differences. Some of them have major effects on the plot and influence future dice rolls. Each viewing of the movie is unique.

I realize this will never happen, but if it did, and if it succeeded commercially, it would spawn a new genre of film.

So, a Let's Play without commentary. And everybody gets a different one.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

So, a Let's Play without commentary. And everybody gets a different one.

GlyphGryph posted:

She didn't say there was any user choice involve, right? Just random uniqueness. There's actually a couple movies that have done similiar things, right? Where different people randomly see different versions?

VictualSquid posted it much better than I, sorry lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Clue (1985) did something similar where they had 3 different endings, and different theatres received copies with different endings. Of course, this is a much smaller scale version of what forums user dead gay comedy forums is suggesting. Historically films with gimmicks that require any additional amount of infrastructure (e.g., Mr. Payback) have been flops, to a man, but with streaming dominating the industry there is much more room for experimentation with the format.

Of course, making this film would be an editing nightmare, but that's something else.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Samovar posted:

I ain't watched it but that Happy show with Christopher Meloni did this gimmick on a small scale, right?

...or, now that I think about it, it'd be like a whole chorus of Harveys from Farscape and now I'm super into this

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Harvey the play/movie of the Farscape reference might be a way to go too. I mean and the main character was an Harry level alcoholic.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:getin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Well playing this for the first time. Maybe an hour or so in. The writing is already probably some of the best writing in any video game I have ever played.

Also Kentucky Route Zero is a great companion piece to this game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pulcinella posted:

Well playing this for the first time.

Pretty much everyone itt is jealous of you right now. Just watch for spoilers which do get posted unredacted from time to time

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Pulcinella posted:

Well playing this for the first time. Maybe an hour or so in. The writing is already probably some of the best writing in any video game I have ever played.

Also Kentucky Route Zero is a great companion piece to this game.

It’s extremely good. Don’t save scum. Embrace failure.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah as far as writing in games that really tries and succeeds to be *literary* i think it's this game and kentucky route zero at the top of the list.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
krz is very bad, sorry

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I got through the first 2 episodes but i'm not quite sure I got it. Stylistically it felt like the opposite from DE; it's initially a lot more self serious and less approachable.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there anything I should know going in? Pretty blind. Just did my first attempt and died almost immediately from asking a question and feeling bad about the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

Is there anything I should know going in? Pretty blind. Just did my first attempt and died almost immediately from asking a question and feeling bad about the answer.

just play and post trip reports

f5 is quicksave but don't savescum