Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

One new case in SA, that seems like good news

I don't have Vic numbers to watch each day so I'm watching SA numbers now

Very early days, but it is promising. Given how many in the family were infected for a few days I'm expecting to see more numbers come in, but the contact tracers seem to be doing fantastic work, we're getting regular updates on dozens of locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-16/robodebt-settlement-explained/12888178

So just how hard do you have to gently caress up to be held accountable in YOOL 2020? Pretty darn much apparently if 1.2 Billion isn't going to cut it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-31/robodebt-refunds-top-220-million-centrelink/12512310

But it's only OK if nobody actually dies.

Apparently just over 50% of Australians are incompetent sociopaths because that's the only way this brand of muppets could possibly hope to win re-election, oh silly me they are only being opposed by this bunch of utter clowns.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-10/joel-fitzgibbon-quits-shadow-labor-cabinet/12866738

KB was detained under the Northern Territory Alcohol Mandatory Treatment Act and therefore not a death in custody but a death in care according to the definitions of the NT coronial process. We have however decided to include it as a death in custody because mandatory alcohol detention is triggered by three arrests for public intoxication, which are performed by police. KB experienced frequent seizures related to her alcoholism and also had a history of renal failure. She was placed on a three-month detention order in August 2014, 13 months after the act came into effect. Her death was attributed to chronic kidney failure compounded by both acute and chronic brain damage. In the two years between the act being introduced and the inquest, only eight of the more than 400 people mandatorily detained on alcohol treatment orders were non-Aboriginal.

ISSUES RAISED
Mental health / cognitive impairment.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
One of the contact tracing locations in SA has been upgraded from "must monitor for symptoms" to "self quarantine immediatly and seek testing".

I wondering if they have found a possible case of transmission there, hence the upgrade. Anyone with experience following contact tracing want to chime in? Not sure if I'm being reasonable or reading too much into it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

RichardA posted:

One of the contact tracing locations in SA has been upgraded from "must monitor for symptoms" to "self quarantine immediatly and seek testing".

I wondering if they have found a possible case of transmission there, hence the upgrade. Anyone with experience following contact tracing want to chime in? Not sure if I'm being reasonable or reading too much into it.

It's a swimming pool, have to imagine that change rooms there are about as risky as it can get for transmitting a virus like this.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
NSW wants a land tax. But what’s scotty from marketing to pay for it. And all other states to do it as well.

No way it’s going to happen.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Comstar posted:

NSW wants a land tax. But what’s scotty from marketing to pay for it. And all other states to do it as well.

No way it’s going to happen.

Source?

Land tax is a great idea but the devil is in the details, particularly managing revenue during the transition from stamp duty. If their plan is for the federal government to cover shortfalls during transition them they are probably trying to look like they are in favour of land tax while avoiding having to do it by making it the federal government's problem.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Urcher posted:

Source?

Land tax is a great idea but the devil is in the details, particularly managing revenue during the transition from stamp duty. If their plan is for the federal government to cover shortfalls during transition them they are probably trying to look like they are in favour of land tax while avoiding having to do it by making it the federal government's problem.

ABC news website

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Comstar posted:

ABC news website

According to the guardian article "the government would start a public consultation process on a proposal to give homebuyers a choice to opt out of paying stamp duty in favour of an annual property tax". Check back in four years. This isn't going to happen any time soon.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

EoinCannon posted:

This all started with paleo I swear. There is some kind of pipeline that starts in Crossfit and paleo territory, travels through anti-vax, and ends up with Q and nazi poo poo

While I don't do Crossfit, I've been going to group fitness classes and I think they can easily become massive echo chambers.

Most of it is harmless enough, but even some of the more innocuous stuff can feed into the sort of mindsets and attitudes opportunistic charlatans prey on.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Urcher posted:

Source?

IMO implementing a land tax/abolishing stamp duty is going to do very little for first time home buyers, and quite a bit for property speculators/flippers.

Edit: bonus of landlords passing on property tax to renters.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
You also get a hundo to spend on takeaway, I changed my mind, NSW is the best state.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

While I don't do Crossfit, I've been going to group fitness classes and I think they can easily become massive echo chambers.

Most of it is harmless enough, but even some of the more innocuous stuff can feed into the sort of mindsets and attitudes opportunistic charlatans prey on.

I was being a bit flippant with the jab at Crossfit, seems like it gets people fit. There does seem to be a bit of acceptance of bro science in and around it though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
crossfit is Toxic Masculinity - More & Faster: The Exercise

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i bet you are all excited to use your 4 x $25 entertainment vouchers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's only like 25% of a decent bag. Pathetic.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Stamp duty is a garbage tier tax

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

It's only like 25% of a decent bag. Pathetic.
Who's paying $400 for bags, jeeesus

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

IMO implementing a land tax/abolishing stamp duty is going to do very little for first time home buyers, and quite a bit for property speculators/flippers.

Edit: bonus of landlords passing on property tax to renters.

It's a tax on assets. The people with the most assets will be paying the most tax. A lot of renters can't afford more rent, if landlords try to pass on the tax they'll end up with empty properties that they still have to pay tax on. If they try to sell and invest in something else it will drive prices down and help first time buyers. Places that are deliberately left empty because the owner is speculating on land value will be up for tax. If they offer rentals to offset the tax it helps renters. If they invest elsewhere it pushes prices down and helps buyers.

Moving a significant upfront cost into a smaller annual cost helps first time buyers directly.

Edit: Landlords are already passing along stamp duty as much as they can. Assuming land tax gets set to be about the same as stamp duty but spread over time the amount of tax paid by landlords doesn't change.

Urcher fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 17, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bowmore posted:

Who's paying $400 for bags, jeeesus

People that want less baby laxative/speed/creatine/other in their cocaine.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Two schools have been updated to quarantine people and their households. Over a thousand students in each school.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Zenithe posted:

You also get a hundo to spend on takeaway, I changed my mind, NSW is the best state.

Only if the pilot program they are running in the CBD during December is a success and you can only use the vouchers on a weekday.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Urcher posted:

Edit: Landlords are already passing along stamp duty as much as they can. Assuming land tax gets set to be about the same as stamp duty but spread over time the amount of tax paid by landlords doesn't change.

I don't know about other states but WA does charge land tax to non owner-occupiers (but there are giant loopholes that let me slip through with no stamp duty and a land tax exemption on my investment property)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Urcher posted:

It's a tax on assets. The people with the most assets will be paying the most tax. A lot of renters can't afford more rent, if landlords try to pass on the tax they'll end up with empty properties that they still have to pay tax on. If they try to sell and invest in something else it will drive prices down and help first time buyers. Places that are deliberately left empty because the owner is speculating on land value will be up for tax. If they offer rentals to offset the tax it helps renters. If they invest elsewhere it pushes prices down and helps buyers.

Moving a significant upfront cost into a smaller annual cost helps first time buyers directly.

What happens when cashed-up boomers realise they can hoover up dated "starter homes" that young families would be looking at, do a quick and nasty reno, and flip for a tidy profit (rinse, repeat)?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What happens when cashed-up boomers realise they can hoover up dated "starter homes" that young families would be looking at, do a quick and nasty reno, and flip for a tidy profit (rinse, repeat)?

Capital gains tax

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

Capital gains tax

Hold property for 366 days to get a discount

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Scott Morrison wore an Aussie flag face mask when he arrived in Japan, what a fuckin bogan.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That happens already except currently they’re incentivised to hold onto it for longer so the value increase offsets stamp duty?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Paywalled arse article but lmao this take

ATO failures do not end with robodebt
The federal government is learning the hard way what the Australian business community has known for long time — that the Australian Taxation Office’s systems and the culture in parts of its operation are deeply flawed.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

The federal government is learning the hard way what the Australian business community has known for long time — that the Australian Taxation Office’s systems and the culture in parts of its operation are deeply flawed.

Yeah I saw that, fkn amazing take driven by pure white any ideology. "We let one department use data that it wasn't designed for. Those fuckers are to blame!, Not the process we conceived"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It's literally the meme *shoots tax man* "how could the public service do this?"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Knobb Manwich posted:

Clearly they're taking the conservative "taxes are bad" position to the next level

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Taxes are bad, save us from the virus and build better highways but taxes are still bad"!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Scott Morrison wore an Aussie flag face mask when he arrived in Japan, what a fuckin bogan.

I don't expect much from Scott Morrison so he already exceeded my expectations by wearing a mask in the first place and not only doing it after everyone gets mad at him.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Zenithe posted:

There's probably a QR code that gets it working on the Pokies.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
SA going into full lockdown mode from midnight. Masks will be required in all areas outside the home. Food purchases will be available, you will be able to leave, one person per household once day to access groceries.

I honesty didn't think Marshall would have the guts to do the right thing here. Glad to be proven wrong.

EDIT:
"This particular strain has had certain characteristics. It has a very, very short incubation period.

That means when somebody gets exposed, it is taking 24 hours or even less for that person to become infectious to others and the other characteristic of the cases we have seen so far as they have had minimal symptoms and sometimes no symptoms but have been able to pass it other people."

gently caress

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah 24 hours to become infectious and many people not presenting any symptoms is about as bad as it gets for spread of a virus like this. In the press conference our CHO Nicola Spurrier talked about how they are now contact tracing the 5th/6th generation of potential infections.

Marshall mentioned that he's spoken to Morrison and his has full support, either they've realised the Vic approach was right or they're just gonna be blatant with supporting Lib state governments and opposing Labor ones.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I mentally translate that as

He has my full support (today)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The flag mask is giving japan a warning that an idiot is approaching

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So if I go to work at the supermarket is someone else from my household still able to go shopping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pleasant Friend posted:

So if I go to work at the supermarket is someone else from my household still able to go shopping?

Who in the absolute gently caress cares what nitpicking the legislation will allow you to do? Minimise exposure.