Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mobile exposure alerts are finally live in California. Probably a good idea to turn them on. Works with both iOS and Android.

Is this the bluetooth based one that scans and connects to exchange data with other compatible opted-in bluetooth devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Grassley just got it. Please god let Feinstein catch it and have to step down.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

droll posted:

Is this the bluetooth based one that scans and connects to exchange data with other compatible opted-in bluetooth devices?

Showing not enabled for California on my iPhone at least v0v

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

luminalflux posted:

Showing not enabled for California on my iPhone at least v0v

It shows available to me. I turned alerts on!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It shows available to me. I turned alerts on!

Yeah, just went live for me as well in the last 30 min or so.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
If you read the initial agreement screen it shows that it's in pilot at select University of California campuses only?

Edit: see https://covid19.ca.gov/notify/

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I would rather not download the bluetooth contact tracking app, am i some sort of antivaxxer-adjacent monster

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I would rather not download the bluetooth contact tracking app, am i some sort of antivaxxer-adjacent monster

lol my wife mostly has covid patients these days so i wonder how badly i would gently caress that thing up

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I mean, the problem is that Google and Apple have done everything in their power over the last ~10 years to track every single possible thing they can about you from your phone in order to sell targeted advertising that is 0.0000001% more effective - or worse turn it over to law enforcement - and have constantly lied, obfuscated, deflected, double-talked, and whatever else they can do to make you think that they're either not doing it or not actually doing it to the scale they really are. And even when they acknowledge what they're doing, they make opting out of that data collection as confusing and time consuming as possible.

So when a highly transmissible pandemic comes up and that location data is actually necessary to the health of the general public, and Google and Apple swear up and down that they recognize this is different and none of that data they collect for the purposes of contact tracing will be sold or turned over to ICE, nobody believes a loving word of it because they've spent the last loving decade lying about those very practices.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Says not currently available for me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Here is the official website, I think

https://covid19.ca.gov/notify/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Looks like a pilot program that only works on select UC campuses.

This is probably why information about it is really hard to come by and why advertising is nonexistent.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

I mean, the problem is that Google and Apple have done everything in their power over the last ~10 years to track every single possible thing they can about you from your phone in order to sell targeted advertising that is 0.0000001% more effective - or worse turn it over to law enforcement - and have constantly lied, obfuscated, deflected, double-talked, and whatever else they can do to make you think that they're either not doing it or not actually doing it to the scale they really are. And even when they acknowledge what they're doing, they make opting out of that data collection as confusing and time consuming as possible.

So when a highly transmissible pandemic comes up and that location data is actually necessary to the health of the general public, and Google and Apple swear up and down that they recognize this is different and none of that data they collect for the purposes of contact tracing will be sold or turned over to ICE, nobody believes a loving word of it because they've spent the last loving decade lying about those very practices.

I don’t think I’d put Apple in the same category as a company who literally sells every bit of your personal data for advertising dollars.

Plus, if you’re worried about privacy, you wouldn’t posting anything from a device that knows your exact GPS coordinates at all times, has all your contact info in it, possibly your work data, anything about you, has a web browser that tracks your phub usage, has a Facebook app that scrapes every single piece of data legally and not legally possible.

This notification system is the least of your privacy concerns and people should absolutely use this, especially since the whole state has gone to poo poo in the past month. Any little bit helps and I hope this app expands to all users ASAP, even if it is like 6 months too late.

e: I just looked and I’m eligible to enable notifications. Cool. Not in a UC campus either.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 18, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don’t think I’d put Apple in the same category as a company who literally sells every bit of your personal data for advertising dollars.

Plus, if you’re worried about privacy, you wouldn’t posting anything from a device that knows your exact GPS coordinates at all times, has all your contact info in it, possibly your work data, anything about you, has a web browser that tracks your phub usage, has a Facebook app that scrapes every single piece of data legally and not legally possible.

This notification system is the least of your privacy concerns and people should absolutely use this, especially since the whole state has gone to poo poo in the past month. Any little bit helps and I hope this app expands to all users ASAP, even if it is like 6 months too late.

e: I just looked and I’m eligible to enable notifications. Cool. Not in a UC campus either.

I think anyone can enable notifications, but you won't be notified unless the covid carrier gets tested at a participating UC so it could just be pandemic theater for now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They've told the DoJ to go pound sand in response to a request to unlock/decrypt a phone in an actual terrorism case. Track, yes. Monetize, yes. Turn over to law enforcement, not even close.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple sells hardware, not ads.

Google doesn’t “sell your data”, it’s the core of their entire business. They allow access to target ads to you based on your user data and that access is what generates 90% of their revenue.

Apple makes all their money selling hardware with healthy margins and subscription services/App Store cuts, they have no one to sell data to.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mllaneza posted:

They've told the DoJ to go pound sand in response to a request to unlock/decrypt a phone in an actual terrorism case.

Yes, that’s privacy. I’m sure google would hand that over in a heartbeat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apple's taken the approach of giving their phones industry leading speed simply to handle processing jobs with voice transcription, facial recognition, etc that most smartphones would need to hand off to a datacenter, because they don't want to operate a datacenter they'd have to be responsible for. The drawback for putting a really strong processor in the phone is unimportant. Nobody cares if cost goes up if the bulk of your customers are think price is immaterial and your business isn't even considering the $200-300 market. So it's easier to just give each person the bleeding edge horsepower and battery efficiency so you can say "yes we have artificial intelligence and it happens entirely without a network connection." Since DOJ darkened their door they've taken a priority to doing everything they possibly can offline within the phone's internals.

I've used Nevada's COVID app for a couple months, and there's a few takeaways:
1. The COVID tracing stuff is built into the OS of the device, at least on iPhone. The app is basically just a certificate that enables which geographic region tracing happens in and to file a report if you test positive.

2. It is anonymized in that phones are using bluetooth to transmit generated gibberish keys to each other, and then sending to the state datacenter a list of which gibberish IDs came within bluetooth transmission distance of the gibberish ID that sent in the list.

3. It obviously isn't going to work if people don't use the app, but it's especially reliant on people who test positive self-reporting, since what it does is notify IDs you've pinged recently.

Privacy policy of the anonymized data is going to depend on the government operator. Nevada's page for their app gives the state up to seven years to keep the file with my generated ID and the ones I traded with. As for how you'd make a gibberish ID and verify it, I don't know but if you asked me to do it, I would use an encyrption operation where you send a common packet to every user, and each phone to encrypt that identical string using it's machine-unique ID as the encryption key. That way every phone would uniquely scramble the same piece of code differently without revealing which phone it belonged to.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 18, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Google doesn’t “sell your data”, it’s the core of their entire business. They allow access to target ads to you based on your user data and that access is what generates 90% of their revenue.

Apple makes all their money selling hardware with healthy margins and subscription services/App Store cuts, they have no one to sell data to.

Apple sells indulgences that forgive you for participating in the same advertising panopticon everyone else is trapped in, the form it takes is irrelevant so long as you believe using it “protects your privacy”

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Yes, that’s privacy. I’m sure google would hand that over in a heartbeat.

Isn't the major difference Android is open source and its not up to Google to decrypt/unlock a device running their open source OS, probably because there's no such backdoor or hidden secret otherwise people would have spotted it in the code? iOS is not open source.. Im.not an expert.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Craptacular! posted:

Privacy policy of the anonymized data is going to depend on the government operator.

Lol now I definitely need to make sure this is off in case I cross through a red state

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

droll posted:

Isn't the major difference Android is open source and its not up to Google to decrypt/unlock a device running their open source OS, probably because there's no such backdoor or hidden secret otherwise people would have spotted it in the code? iOS is not open source.. Im.not an expert.
The difference is in hardware, and that Apple invests a lot in their hardware security. The fact that Android phones that are supposed to be firmware locked can be flashed with custom ROMs against the wishes of their manufacturer is cool for nerds that love to tweak poo poo and terrible as a security practice.

Centrist Committee posted:

Lol now I definitely need to make sure this is off in case I cross through a red state

Don't download that state's app? Nevada's COVID app is going to disable if I cross into California. If this stuff wasn't highly regionalized there'd be one app we all jump on already. It's only working within the boundaries of whatever agencies you volunteer to participate in. This of course makes the thing kind of a lost cause in Nevada because even if we weren't America's Most Paranormal Crazy State, the parasitic state economy requires so many people come through here temporarily from everywhere else.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Too many words, just like every other “privacy policy,” which means I’m opting out.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

droll posted:

Android is not under the GPL license. Only a portion of the software needed to make a functional android phone is required to be open source.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Oh man this is hilarious.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

A few of y'all have drank a disturbing amount of Apple's Kool-Aid.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apple's proven to be piss-poor at being an advertising-subsidized agency even when they try. It's why the music service lost it's ad-funded radio stations ala Pandora. The "iAd" program of the early 2010s was a complete loving flop, and only got back into it when ads in the App Store debuted a few years ago. While Apple is stuck in "how do I advertisement" land, Google bought Doubleclick, Admob, etc in addition to their own work in Adsense. Targeted advertising funds poo poo, and has been funding poo poo since GMail began scanning emails for keywords in 2004. Apple funds poo poo by making you buy a 256GB iPad for $100 extra when you just wanted the 128GB one that doesn't exist, and a sizable amount of money is now coming in from having the world's worst free tier of cloud storage. I'm sure taking 30% of the profits made in the mobile Gacha-game market helps, too.

I've been a fan of both companies and a hater of both companies at various points in my life, I'm mellowed out now into not needing to treat which corporate behemoth I cheer for as an important part of my personality but based on their financial results and analysis of their products I'm far less paranoid about Apple currently than I am Google. Or Facebook, or Amazon.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 19, 2020

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Newsom needs to grow a pair and close poo poo. My loving store I work at has had 3 positives since November started. Multiple stores in our mall closed down because they were only staffing 2-3 people a day and one ot more of them tested positive. Why does no one seem to understand these simple facts?

People are becoming more bold with not wearing masks, and after an incident a few weeks ago (where a security guard got threatened for asking someone to wear their mask) no one is willing to ask people to wear them.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I got the covid tracking, I thought it was available to all but makes sense that only campus as I live near one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KittyEmpress posted:

Newsom needs to grow a pair and close poo poo. My loving store I work at has had 3 positives since November started. Multiple stores in our mall closed down because they were only staffing 2-3 people a day and one ot more of them tested positive. Why does no one seem to understand these simple facts?

People are becoming more bold with not wearing masks, and after an incident a few weeks ago (where a security guard got threatened for asking someone to wear their mask) no one is willing to ask people to wear them.

My office sent everybody home Tuesday around 3 to "clean the building" with no explanation. Okay I figure, probably working from home for a while then. But no, I get an email at 8PM saying "Okay building is clean, we expect everybody to be back in tomorrow morning!"

Sure enough mid-day yesterday an email goes out "Somebody tested positive, everybody go home uh, again, and get tested this time!" Super cool that I was forced to go back in for a day. Also even now they're telling people that as soon as they get a negative test they're expected to report back into the office with no waiting or quarantine period. :psyduck:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

KittyEmpress posted:

no close, only OPEN 'ER UP!

Completely unrelated, I'll drop these links here.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/7502/6827884 (7502 is medium and fits ~75% of people, 7501 is small, and 7503 is large)
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/7093B/3M160508-ND/6827876

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The federal government hasn’t bailed out local governments, which is why you have insane poo poo like bars being open but schools being closed, because one generates tax revenue needed to keep the lights on and the other doesn’t. It’s insane but there’s a limited amount that local governments can really do. This is exactly the kind of thing where being a sovereign currency issuer with the ability to deficit spend would come in handy, but we all know who’s in the White House.

It sucks. I don’t really think that there are any good options. In a well governed country bars would be closed and schools for younger children would be open with precautions, and the fed would be making massive sweetheart loans to local governments to tide them over.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1329549279967334401?s=20

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Covid is nocturnal?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So wait is it a curfew or just a limit on gatherings? One is a lot different than the other!

Either way cool opportunity to give police yet another justification for harassing people just because they don't have the luxury of their job wrapping up early enough to get their after work activities done and get home!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I guess Newsom's plan is to just do lunch at The French Laundry instead of dinner to cope

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Cool. Cool.

So, uh, who's going to enforce it? Because it sure as hell ain't the police or sheriffs in a lot of the Sac area.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GodDamnArtist posted:

Cool. Cool.

So, uh, who's going to enforce it? Because it sure as hell ain't the police or sheriffs in a lot of the Sac area.

enforce what? it does literally nothing. who cares?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It doesn't do nothing. It provides a fine set of particular pearls to clutch in the event of more anti-cop protests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SuperKlaus posted:

It doesn't do nothing. It provides a fine set of particular pearls to clutch in the event of more anti-cop protests.

lol yea I remember seeing a news article about how scientists saw absolutely no benefit to curfews and were totally baffled why they kept getting enacted nationwide

but it's this, this is why