Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
According to the extremely scientific https://www.globalfirepower.com/navy-ships.asp

The UK mothballed all its ships and just rents them from the US mostly I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IIRC the Navy has been cut hard, especially under Cameron and May and would be completely owned by Russia or a unified EU force

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

does the UK really not have the biggest navy in the EU or does that include Russia
Lose 15 more and the Danelaw is back on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the Philippines wrecking the UK with lil bofors boats would be hilarious

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
We've got like 2 really good destroyers and those stupid aircraft carriers but that's it

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

the Philippines wrecking the UK with lil bofors boats would be hilarious
"launch them! launch them all!"

a series of f35s ramp up to full speed and plop off the edge of hms liz straight into the ocean

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Continuity RCP posted:

We've got like 2 really good destroyers and those stupid aircraft carriers but that's it

Not featured: aircraft capable of taking off from those carriers. Those get rented from the US too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bring back the gladiator biplane

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bring back the gladiator biplane

Too cheap and actually capable of combat, not fit for purpose

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

multijoe posted:

IIRC the Navy has been cut hard, especially under Cameron and May and would be completely owned by Russia or a unified EU force

Or by an unexpected drizzle.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

gonadic io posted:

According to the extremely scientific https://www.globalfirepower.com/navy-ships.asp

The UK mothballed all its ships and just rents them from the US mostly I believe.

lol basically all Finland has is for protecting shipping lanes, loving with Russian subs, and floating artillery so it's easy to get into position. It's not much of a navy. It's not meant to be, it's just to keep the coast from being the obvious weak spot.

The staff are very useful, save people from the weather and help with research on the ecosystem. Prepared for war, but most of their work is entirely peaceful.

Any navy below that might as well be drydocked.

... oh lol putting North Korea on top. Okay, I get it. Got me!

endlessmonotony has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Nov 19, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The current UK flagship is a troop transport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Albion_(L14)

e: the new planned flagship is an aircraft carrier that can only fly F35s

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

endlessmonotony posted:

lol basically all Finland has is for protecting shipping lanes, loving with Russian subs, and floating artillery so it's easy to get into position. It's not much of a navy. It's not meant to be, it's just to keep the coast from being the obvious weak spot.

The staff are very useful, save people from the weather and help with research on the ecosystem. Prepared for war, but most of their work is entirely peaceful.

Any navy below that might as well be drydocked.

This list is just a count of total ships in a navy.

Which is why when you click the link North Korea's Navy is listed as number one due to having "900" ships.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OhFunny posted:

This list is just a count of total ships in a navy.

Which is why when you click the link North Korea's Navy is listed as number one due to having "900" ships.

Yeah and it's counting all the equipment Finland's using to fight... the ice freezing our shipping lanes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I wasn't even really properly questioning the source because the idea of everyone subjecting their navies to JIT procurement due to neoliberalism makes a hell of a lot more sense than laser guns.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“Our warships and combat vehicles will carry directed energy weapons, destroying targets with inexhaustible lasers. For them, the phrase 'out of ammunition' will become redundant," he told the Commons.

The announcement is part of a £16.5 billion defence spending spree, which Mr Johnson said would "end the era of retreat". The prime minister has also pledged to create a new Space Command wing of the military

oh god no he's going to invade the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism

"The UK armed forces pivot to lasers" seems like a consequence of John Dolan living in the six counties.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

gonadic io posted:

More posts about how he wants the strongest navy in europe again. Does anybody else think it's a little odd that this all gets announced just as we enter the absolute final phase of brexit negotiations?

lmao please tell me the UK government is dumb enough to throw its weight around trying to impound other nation's ships and ransom them back, that is what this is about right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hate this country so much

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Thompsons posted:

lmao please tell me the UK government is dumb enough to throw its weight around trying to impound other nation's ships and ransom them back, that is what this is about right

just wait until bojo has british ships start impressing foreign sailors and running opium. he's a fan of the classics after all

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

gonadic io posted:

e: the new planned flagship is an aircraft carrier that can only fly F35s

A bold new strategy for ruling the waves. Throw f35s into it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Man suspending Corbyn is really stupid . If you want the left kept docile they should do to him what Kinnock and Blair did to Michael Foot and Tony Bennett. How is it your country’s leadership class can’t even understand political warfare anymore?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

gonadic io posted:

Wikipedia has a page on blue-water navies with a write-up on how they define that, mostly power projection capability and the quality of the sailors and weaponry. The RN comes out second equal with France on that ranking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-water_navy#Classification_and_naval_hierarchy

World Naval Hierarchy, according to the Todd & Lindberg classification system (c.2019)

1 Global-reach power projection Multiple and sustained power projection missions globally
United States

2 Limited global-reach power projection At least one major power projection operation globally
France, United Kingdom

3 Multi-regional power projection Power projection to regions adjacent to its own
China, India, Italy, Russia

4 Regional power projection Limited range power projection beyond exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
Australia, Brazil, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Turkey

Anyone who doesn't make the list is considered to be coastal defence. Also this ranking doesn't seem to consider that a volley of DF-21Ds will wreck anyone who dares to sail within range of the Chinese coast.

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Nov 19, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Does the uk have 900 lovely patrol boats though I think not

I confess I hadn't looked at the top of the list when I posted it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

gonadic io posted:

Does the uk have 900 lovely patrol boats though I think not

I confess I hadn't looked at the top of the list when I posted it

the charge of the light patrol boats

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the empire is long dead. fuckin get over it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crowsbeak posted:

Man suspending Corbyn is really stupid . If you want the left kept docile they should do to him what Kinnock and Blair did to Michael Foot and Tony Bennett. How is it your country’s leadership class can’t even understand political warfare anymore?

They press have been sucking them off instead of all out war and convinced the morons they're competent

Basically it's failsons and faildaughters all the way down now

Jose has issued a correction as of 23:40 on Nov 19, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1329095699946934274
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1329107738367029251

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
did he check hunter's emails for this info

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

redleader posted:

The death of the empire was almost certainly the best thing to happen to the British too, NHS was founded after they lost the big one. It wasn't like the empire got anything done for most British, it was just a bleak distraction from their own dickensian misery, so it's very funny that the Tories are trying to turn that tide.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

redleader posted:

They will never do this. It's too important to the identity of our ruling class for some reason

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gonadic io posted:

He's right. Shut the gently caress about your dumbassed American grudge

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

They press have been sucking them off instead of all out war and convinced the morons they're competent

Basically it's failsons and faildaughters all the way down now

I just realized that it say Tony Bennett not Tony Benn.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

We're in a generation of political leadership that are descended from those who actually knew how to play politics, and they've been resting on their laurels for so long that they've forgotten how it's supposed to work.

The same thing happened with economics: it's the difference between people who knew that libertarianism and small government was just something you said to get to the real prize of deregulation and tax cuts, and the people who genuinely believe that libertarianism and small government actually is as effective and correct as their mentors said it was three or so decades ago.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“Our warships and combat vehicles will carry directed energy weapons, destroying targets with inexhaustible lasers. For them, the phrase 'out of ammunition' will become redundant," he told the Commons.

The announcement is part of a £16.5 billion defence spending spree, which Mr Johnson said would "end the era of retreat". The prime minister has also pledged to create a new Space Command wing of the military

oh god no he's going to invade the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism

Star Wars: episode 2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sable_sonya/status/1330103279364272128

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

gonadic io posted:

It's the person you hate making a good point meme.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1330156968141615105?s=19

chumocracy was a documentary

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

destroying targets with inexhaustible lasers

ROU; eccentric

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1330240064895541253?s=20

lmao @ Keir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"you could be forgiven for thinking, a researcher says" after the government bungs money to its mates instead of helping anybody in a pandemic in full sight of everyone

completely controlled press