Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

After a hard day's T-posing, there's nothing I enjoy more than snacking on a pistol magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

whether the idris has got any major shortcomings for exploration
there is nothing to explore

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

there is nothing to explore

Not true. You can clip through all kinds of floors and explore secret areas.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

they're trying to create a public facing tool here

Does that mean Jared is still in alpha, as well? He seems like a fairly complete tool, if you ask me.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Reading SC lore is like reading my own Mechwarrior fan fiction from when I was 12.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
He didn't do any TED talks but they did let him speak at GDC Online in 2012 when they had just barely received their initial funding goal. And I believe at a couple other tertiary GDC events in 2013 and 2014.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Spiderdrake posted:

He did some presentations, yeah, that insane chart about how they'll have four times the effective money from crowdfunding is based on it.

I don't think he did a ted talk but he was pretty full of himself early on, the arrogance is something kind lost when other people look at this thread and the years of history since.

His Bafta and DICE presentations were both fantastic. The DICE one from February 2015 deserves special mention, as it finds our hero lecturing publishers and developers on Chris’s superior new model for building games AND community.

The model for engagement that Chris lays out has mostly been abandoned by him since, but it’s nice to remember a time when they really did put out a new video “roughly every two days” because “muh community is special” and “this is the future” blah blah.

Strange there was a time when Chris was so heavily courted for these types of speeches. “Please share the secret of your success, Futureman!” These days he couldn’t find a friendly industry crowd anywhere, and I’m not sure even a CitizenCon crowd would be very welcoming...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

I’m not sure even a CitizenCon crowd would be very welcoming...

Don't lie to yourself, they would mortgage their grandma's house if Chris asked.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

Human-Tevarin Wars

I have never stopped to read any of this stuff before, it just makes no sense.

So we had no military to speak of, a war kicked off we had some mass conscription event to try tackle these alien dudes and we amazingly despite no preparation we won and conquered them. ok.

But despite having no territory to speak of 60 years later a un surrendered fleet comes back for part two. This time despite having a large and prepared army this time war drags on for 7 years and we win because they all commit suicide at the end for reasons? wtf

This makes as much sense as Erwin Rommel coming back with his secrete un surrendered panzer divisions from 1945. He sets out to storm the white house in an effort to reclaim Germanys lost honour. Despite having old equipment manned by senior citizens the war drags on for ten years, it ends only becuase Rommel commits suicide at feet of the statue of liberty because he is 106 and could not afford US health care. Most people now agree that war and high priced health care are bad.

Don't forget the pivotal speech he made while committing suicide:

"On this day... forever... buy spaceships... especially concepts and ones that punch above their weight for because LTI only comes around once and you better take advantage of it while it's there because it's important but maybe not and new money is always more important than your transfers and melting... now... I die.." <dies dramatically, one shaky hand reaching up to stroke the poster of his lordship Roberts as he pilots a random WW2 looking space ship>

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fargin Icehole posted:

I certainly am glad that i asked. Now just what exactly IS a Tevarin?

I think these guys are the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

But if I'm wrong I really don't care. I just like that the ninja turtles are in Star Citizen lore. :3:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Titanic posted:

<dies dramatically, one shaky hand reaching up to stroke the poster of his lordship Roberts as he pilots a random WW2 looking space ship>
<dies holding his butt to stop explosive diarrhea of features and spaceships as his body is shakily lifted above the crowd of T-posing NPCs, ascending into his mansion in the 'verse above>

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

No those are the Chinese caricatures. The tevarin are the bird ones that look double-plus-dumb

Remember that the setting for the game is a mixture of the Roman Marcomannic Wars and WWII. So we're fighting the barbarian space lizards with the help of Chinese turtles (we're the Roman/English nazi American marine legionaries who just voted a libertarian techno-utopist into power as their democratic emperor).

Oh the bird race. Yeah. I remember those people. :)

Haven't seen those since the last time CR tried to rip off Man Kzin Wars as his own and introduce a new race.

Unfortunately though, he's already done bird people, or somebody back in the day added in bird people to wing commander.

But I know creative juices are hard to get flowing, especially for certain kinds of people. :black101:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Seriously, that bird picture is the least imaginative alien design you can do. It looks like a dude with a bird mask on. The 8bit one is way cooler

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

:reddit:This game is nothing more than a lie !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gh3snvncyo

I love it. :3:

"close ups and slow pans across art assets": 98%

"maybe gameplay?": 2%

This is pretty much exactly what Star Citizen is, except they forgot to mention to buy ships.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

Seriously, that bird picture is the least imaginative alien design you can do. It looks like a dude with a bird mask on. The 8bit one is way cooler

But the coolest bird aliens are the Pkunk

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

What is the point of having bird people if they don't even have wings?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HungryMedusa posted:

Have you seen my runner ducks? They are awesome! (technically, they have wings...)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HungryMedusa posted:

If they hand wings you they wouldn't need to buy ships, that's an evolutive dead-end.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

no_recall posted:

Thank you for your participation. Entries are now closed for the IAE 2950 raffle!

Once again thanks to no_recall for making a game that is infinitely more enjoyable than SC!

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 19, 2020

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

What? You don't use a pistol magazine to eat your MRE by shoving it in your eye?

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 19, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Neato. :)

Skinny naked guy.

Some sort of medieval warrior.

Some sort of medieval monk.

Looks like an actual race that has technology.

Some sort of fat guy.

As usual, it's the scrappy humans against races who's racial technology doesn't seem to match their story-level technology.

You had one job, lore team. :)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

These would make some interesting aliens (and I think some movie had similar aliens?). Where is some marine biologist in this game development company when you need them?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

HungryMedusa posted:

To sell jpegs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sarsapariller posted:

Are you goons trying to do critical literary analysis of the god-drat STIMPIRE?

Stop that.

The Stimpire is what literary analysis deserves.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I have good news! Since the limited-edition ONE TIME ONLY ship sales are all going to be in extremely high demand on this, the 8th year of annual ship sales and non-delivery, CIG has instituted new rules:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
ship sales, ships sail, shifts soil, shits shale

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bird people were put in to appease the hordes of slavering MWO goons that propped this game up in the early days

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

I have good news! Since the limited-edition ONE TIME ONLY ship sales are all going to be in extremely high demand on this, the 8th year of annual ship sales and non-delivery, CIG has instituted new rules:

Why.do.you.need.more.than.one.of.each.ship?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

monkeytek posted:

So you can make big buxx on the grey market.

Law of scarcity and all that...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

Don't lie to yourself, they would mortgage their grandma's house if Chris asked.

I’m semi-serious. I mean, yeah, there are still some hard core nuts around. But it’s hard to imagine CitCon 2021 being the lovefests they once were if there’s still no Squadron and Stanton isn’t finished. I think a lot of Citizens would go to see fellow Citizens more than to get hyped on Chris’s latest vapor dream pitch is for 2022.

Maybe I’m misreading things but I’m just not sure where the real enthusiasm still is.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

monkeytek posted:

Well, so you can loan one out to the rest of your fleet of course, Admiral!

(You still can't even spawn a second ship without your first one despawning, rendering all hangars useless, lol)

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

G0RF posted:

I’m semi-serious. I mean, yeah, there are still some hard core nuts around. But it’s hard to imagine CitCon 2021 being the lovefests they once were if there’s still no Squadron and Stanton isn’t finished. I think a lot of Citizens would go to see fellow Citizens more than to get hyped on Chris’s latest vapor dream pitch is for 2022.

Maybe I’m misreading things but I’m just not sure where the real enthusiasm still is.

I think it is all spite pledging at this point. They are in so deep and simply can't admit the other side is right so: "gently caress you! I'll show you and buy even more crap!"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytek posted:

e: I misunderstood their announcement. bleh.

In any case they are tightening the perceived artificial scarcity to drive demand

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 19, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

monkeytek posted:

What? You don't use a pistol magazine to eat your MRE by shoving it in your eye?

ive never seen an MRA you just open and start munching out of lol. it's usually 15 other packages and at some point you need to lean it up against a rock or something

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

I am convinced that Citizens have goldfish brains and that CIG is taking full advantage of this. The "IAE" in-game event is entirely designed to make them forget that none of the big ships they've already purchased are actually delivered, in order to get them pumped to buy the next big one. They do this with a myriad of tactics:

* Display and hype up the million little useless fighters that have been released. In a static environment where actually taking them out and using them is prohibitively hard, so it's difficult to see how broken they mostly are.

* Display a great big holographic model of the new ship for sale, so it looks like it's almost finished, and the Citizen forgets that it will be 4-6 years before it sees the light of day, and it will have 85 sales between now and then.

* Relentlessly hype up the most recently released ship, even if it was the only ship released in the last eight or nine months, to establish the illusion that big ships are rolling out quickly

* Make lots of sock puppet posts about game-theory to get the Citizens dreaming about the new spaceship's place in their fleet. Space mines! Recon! Carrier ops!

* Make ominous dev posts about ship scarcity and how SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED to get the Citizen primed to buy as soon as they see the button enabled

* Do not under any circumstances give updates on the old ships that are nowhere near completion. Do not remind Citizens that they've sunk hundreds into stuff that they're already waiting on.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

akkristor posted:

My Golden Ticket said 10/10/2012, so we're past it.

It also said development would take only 24 months.

So we're well into Year Nine of Development.
By now I'm thinking this will still be ongoing by 2030. There hasn't been any way, legal, fiscal, economical, technical or Smartical, that has been able to stop it.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

Actually the Human are the technologically dominant race in the galaxy (Imperial Romans/Modern Americans, remember?) who have the largest population and control the most planets but who are also extremely vulnerable to attacks from the others because reasons.

Here is the lore for the first contact with the Tevarin

So in Nov 15, 2541 we meet a less developed race. Less than a year later the less developed race hands starts capturing planets...

Oh boy! You birdbrains just meesed with the wrong group of plucky humans with no military training!

By the way, after the first Tevarin war the humans first exiled them from their planet and then loving terraformed it because that's unironically what the writers think the cool dudes do. And later the birds came back to live without mayor issues because the writers don't know what terraforming means.

:umberto:

Seriously, humans in SC are basically a fascist society. It's no wonder this game attracts so many chuds.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Beexoffel posted:

So we're well into Year Nine of Development.
By now I'm thinking this will still be ongoing by 2030. There hasn't been any way, legal, fiscal, economical, technical or Smartical, that has been able to stop it.

The faithful have already talked themselves into 2025+ dates as perfectly acceptable*

*I wish I was joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Sadly, you can find long abandoned Kickstarter projects, where a few backers still haunt the comments section with the occasional "I still hope we get another update soon" or "hopefully we will get a release next year".

There will always be the faithful ones and Store Citizen got those in big supply.