Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mantis42 posted:

Trump put his brain in Clone Biden's body to outwit the Deep State's election rigging!!!!

I'm not going to believe this until I hear it from a credible news source, like some doughy white guy with a bloatee and Oakleys in a YouTube video that was filmed from the inside of his truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey y'all. I run a pretty small Youtube channel, but am working on a longform project about Q and where it will go from here.

I'm going to be interviewing Rick Alan Ross, a cult deprogrammer, for the project. I'm mostly going to be asking about cults in the age of the internet, and how they can exist without leaders that take pro-active roles in their lives. Anyone have anything they really want to ask him?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Calico Heart posted:

Hey y'all. I run a pretty small Youtube channel, but am working on a longform project about Q and where it will go from here.

I'm going to be interviewing Rick Alan Ross, a cult deprogrammer, for the project. I'm mostly going to be asking about cults in the age of the internet, and how they can exist without leaders that take pro-active roles in their lives. Anyone have anything they really want to ask him?

This is probably in your list of questions anyway, but what are the best things friends and relatives can do when they see someone either on their way to joining a cult or already in it?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Calico Heart posted:

"Is there an outcome for these people that doesn't result in violence?"

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
  • In his estimation, what proportion of the human population is prone to capture by an online cult like QAnon?
  • How can we best inoculate people from capture by the next major online cult? (In the real world, socioeconomic factors being what they are)
  • In his estimation, how long might the average cultist's belief endure if there were a permanent stasis in the mythology (i.e. the storm is always coming but never arrives), assuming no exogenous challenges to that belief (which is not the case for QAnon)? How long does human faith last in a vacuum?
  • "There's no such thing as bad publicity" - true for a cult? Does media coverage only ever make QAnon more powerful?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Calico Heart posted:

Mockery of the phenomenon's absurdities: Helpful or hurtful in convincing people to step away? (Also, helpful or hurtful in keeping people away from it in the first place?)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Maybe lead with, "So... what the actual gently caress?"

Seriously -- At what point is someone simply not 'deprogrammable' and is that more common than people who are?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

indiscriminately posted:

[*] In his estimation, how long might the average cultist's belief endure if there were a permanent stasis in the mythology (i.e. the storm is always coming but never arrives), assuming no exogenous challenges to that belief (which is not the case for QAnon)? How long does human faith last in a vacuum?
I don't have this in the form of a question but I saw Q stickers on my high street today (little town in the Netherlands) and it got me wondering something similar to this, where if Trump going away means that instead of dying it becomes more amorphous and just swallows up local crazies and adds the right touch of the og beliefs (deep state being opposed by hidden patriots) and becomes compatible anywhere, totally divorced from Trump and his presidency. Just an ongoing "plot to save the world/children/etc".

Seriously, seeing this locally instead of through this thread was kinda terrifying:

I guess my question for the expert would be if he sees Q as unique in any way or can he track it thus far based on his existing research from other groups?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

jojoinnit posted:

I don't have this in the form of a question but I saw Q stickers on my high street today (little town in the Netherlands) and it got me wondering something similar to this, where if Trump going away means that instead of dying it becomes more amorphous and just swallows up local crazies and adds the right touch of the og beliefs (deep state being opposed by hidden patriots) and becomes compatible anywhere, totally divorced from Trump and his presidency. Just an ongoing "plot to save the world/children/etc".

Seriously, seeing this locally instead of through this thread was kinda terrifying:

I guess my question for the expert would be if he sees Q as unique in any way or can he track it thus far based on his existing research from other groups?

Qanon has basically been swallowing up local crazies for a while, it's an amalgamation of a yoga crap and anti-zionist crap and new earth crap and right wing crap and antivax crap and satanic panic crap at this point. It's all over the place.

I mean in a sense they aren't wrong. There is a cabal of really loving evil people lying about the world and essentially running it for their own benefit in a way that will kill us all; and they undermine democratic processes and what not.

It's just.. Trump is in no way a hero.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Qanon has basically been swallowing up local crazies for a while, it's an amalgamation of a yoga crap and anti-zionist crap and new earth crap and right wing crap and antivax crap and satanic panic crap at this point. It's all over the place.

I mean in a sense they aren't wrong. There is a cabal of really loving evil people lying about the world and essentially running it for their own benefit in a way that will kill us all; and they undermine democratic processes and what not.

QAnon is what happens when you turn the entire might of the imperial neoliberal order on destroying class and race solidarity. People know, because they can see it, that our society is broken and dying. But they've been propagandized 24/7 since birth to ignore the root causes or blame those issues on nonsense, and that continues today.

When every celebrity, politician, and media channel is blasting you continuously with lies to make you a compliant consumer unable to effectively challenge the economic power structure, you will start blaming obvious problems on other sources. You'll start blaming Satan. You'll start blaming witches. You'll start blaming gay people and the Jews and secret lizards. You'll start blaming the conjunction of the planets or fluoridated water or magnetic waves. You'll start turning to any passing bullshit salesman to explain your pain and immiseration and that of the people around you because all the real explanations have been forbidden to you.

Q is the societal equivalent of what happens to a dog when you give them an electric shock every time they try to drink water. They go insane, shake and turn comatose and soil themselves, turn on everyone around them, and frequently die.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

pseudanonymous posted:

As the video posted on the previous page explained, qanon has become a "big-tent" conspiracy theory, probably because there is no one big event it is centred upon, unlike JFK, moon landing etc, and the q drops are so vague you can read whatever you want.

I really can't recommend that folding ideas video enough. None of the actual text of the conspiracy matters, it is all about people feeling like the world is changing or more correctly has changed and they blame those who have been speaking up about how they are hurt and disadvantaged by the status quo for being the source of their discomfort. An example of the text not mattering is adrenochrome is never mentioned in any q drop but by now becoming a core principle of qanon.

Anyway another link to the video: https://youtu.be/JTfhYyTuT44

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That folding space video is, indeed, perfect.

Great production values, too. And really funny.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah he is or was a professional editor, so no surprises. He can throw out some lib takes sometimes but in general he's fine

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

exmachina posted:

As the video posted on the previous page explained, qanon has become a "big-tent" conspiracy theory, probably because there is no one big event it is centred upon, unlike JFK, moon landing etc, and the q drops are so vague you can read whatever you want.

I'd even argue it goes further than a big tent and is now becoming a (perhaps the) generic brand that any conspiracy theory can use, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years people might just refer to all conspiracy theories in general as "Q".

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Well, y'all wanted the evidence, so here it is, looks like we’ve finally figured it out.

“Qanon” is Propaganda, and we know who’s responsible.

Appreciate the rigour I guess.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

LanceHunter posted:

I'd even argue it goes further than a big tent and is now becoming a (perhaps the) generic brand that any conspiracy theory can use, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years people might just refer to all conspiracy theories in general as "Q".

Right. I've written in here before about progressive friends of mine who now seem to basically be Q followers, just with the Trump bits removed. They wave him off as unimportant, while ranting about the Democrats, deep state, how Russia is our ally, Assad isn't that bad, antivaxxer and TERF nonsense etc.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Hey, here's Bucky again, trying to make the thread all about them.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

God help me, I went through that entire, long, meandering, conspiracy theory-laden post that Bucky - who refuses to shut up and just has to constantly tell us how right they are - posted above. So, who's the guy who is responsible for the whole thing?

quote:

So, to sum up, here is how likely to have happened. People like Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Rick Gates, Steve Bannon, Michael Flynn, (and/or Jared Kushner, Dan Scavino, and Brad Parscale), drawing on strategies outlined by Jeff Giesea and Chuck Johnson, used companies like Psy-Group, WikiStrat, Black Cube, and Cambridge Analytica, to develop a strategy to drive support for Donald Trump. That involved a lot of things, including this project called Q. They used people like Thomas Schoenberger and Lisa Clapier, who used used puzzle-like strategies and cult-like recruitment techniques to create an ARG style Psy-Op, based a military-thriller conspiracy-core wrapped in a New-Age outer facade. It played right into pre-existing sociological conditions and psychological frameworks. People like Tracy Beanz, Coleman Rogers, Paul Furber, Joe M, and Ron and Jim Watkins, were either knowingly or unknowingly used to take the Operation to a wider audience. From there, various influencers built significant audiences by posting content from the Q Universe, and a self enforcing community grows. Companies like Cambridge Analytica and Gloo then used big data to target the content exactly where it’ll make the most difference. It’s all supported and amplified by outlets like OANN and Breitbart, and whoever else has an interest in a Trump administration.

Uhh...so it's a confluence of a lot of factors including people promoting bullshit for propaganda purposes and societal factors and media literacy issues with the public and amplified by ne'er-do-wells for political purposes? WHAT AMAZINGLY NEW INSIGHTS BUCKY. Jesus loving christ.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

maybe calm down about the posting of a reasonably informative long-form article

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's giving the Q poo poo too much credit. It's a general problem of an internet/YT conspirosphere, of which Qanon or flat earth are only manifestations.

Gotta say, watching the pro-corona demos attract left and right conspiracy nuts is pretty insane. I did not expect to ever see Neo-Nazis and hippies holding hands and singing "we shall overcome".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FFT posted:

maybe calm down about the posting of a reasonably informative long-form article

Reasonably informative? It was nearly gibberish. If it wasn't attacking Q it would be indistinguishable from a pro-Q piece.

Also, calling out Cambridge Analytica for using "big data" to target the content is ridiculous as we've learned that Cambridge Analytica was mostly bullshitting about what they were capable of doing. While they got a lot of data it was almost entirely basic demographic data that wouldn't let them do targeting any more sophisticated than your average advertise-by-mail campaign.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Well, y'all wanted the evidence, so here it is, looks like we’ve finally figured it out.

“Qanon” is Propaganda, and we know who’s responsible.

Appreciate the rigour I guess.

I read the whole thing but it’s all just a bit “seems like” and “this person is known to have met this person” and so on. Sort of reverse-conspiracy. It’s good work tho

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

LanceHunter posted:

Also, calling out Cambridge Analytica for using "big data" to target the content is ridiculous as we've learned that Cambridge Analytica was mostly bullshitting about what they were capable of doing. While they got a lot of data it was almost entirely basic demographic data that wouldn't let them do targeting any more sophisticated than your average advertise-by-mail campaign.
weren't they targeting via facebook's demographic data? doesn't need to be particularly sophisticated on Cambridge Analytica's part when the work is already done for them

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ashpanash posted:

God help me, I went through that entire, long, meandering, conspiracy theory-laden post that Bucky - who refuses to shut up and just has to constantly tell us how right they are - posted above. So, who's the guy who is responsible for the whole thing?

Uhh...so it's a confluence of a lot of factors including people promoting bullshit for propaganda purposes and societal factors and media literacy issues with the public and amplified by ne'er-do-wells for political purposes? WHAT AMAZINGLY NEW INSIGHTS BUCKY. Jesus loving christ.

Say "people like [list]" instead of actually accusing someone one more god drat time why don't you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ashpanash posted:

Hey, here's Bucky again, trying to make the thread all about them.

They want the attention report the post and if it happens enough maybe theyll get a longer vacation.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ashpanash posted:

I asked 4 months ago and no one had an answer, so just letting you know now we do. Of course there’s new stuff in there. I said it all in that 3 line post, didn’t want to make a big thing of it and don’t want to drag it out, if we agree then cool, not sure why you’re being so aggressive.

Peace out

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Four months ago people gave you the exact answer in the article as the likely cause, and you flipped out and demanded we point to the specific human being who was pulling the strings and posted pages long screeds about shadowy government conspiracies in your outrage at being told that Roger Stone himself was probably not sitting at a computer writing Q prompts.

like do you not realize that we were all here for it, and that you got probed for being relentlessly off the deep end and that we can go back and read if it we want?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Can you show us where anyone had the exact answer in the article 4 months ago? And where all the other things you said happened? If you don’t want me to keep posting please stop strawmaning and gaslighting.

Because I can show you a lot of times even the suggestion it was orchestrated was rejected. The fact it was propaganda was sometimes acknowledged but never in that level of detail. I was asked to provide evidence to back up my claims, and now I have, new names and all. Happy to leave it there. If you want to discuss any of it in good faith I’m happy to do that too but not sure it’s allowed.

E - like, it’s a good day. We’ve solved the mystery. Figured it out, thanks in part to the thread. Thought you guys might like to know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 20, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Bucky Fullminster posted:

E - like, it’s a good day. We’ve solved the mystery. Figured it out, thanks in part to the thread. Thought you guys might like to know.

Holy poo poo this changes everything!!!

Now could you leave the thread, like you were asked to do a million times, please?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

exmachina posted:

Anyway another link to the video: https://youtu.be/JTfhYyTuT44

At what point does this guy stop photographing a lake and crying, because I watched about 25 minutes of that and then my wife got mad at me for picking a boring lovely movie

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

betaraywil posted:

At what point does this guy stop photographing a lake and crying, because I watched about 25 minutes of that and then my wife got mad at me for picking a boring lovely movie

37:30 is when it takes a turn.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

ashpanash posted:

37:30 is when it takes a turn.

Grazie

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I dig the conclusion that Flynn is only a hero to people he’s paying.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Everyone drop what you're doing Dan Olsen made a quasi-sequel to his flat-earth to Qanon pipeline video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwDF8wRgF4

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Strong Q energy from this:
https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1329489610473402369

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Well she obviously meant his evil clone. You know, the one who wasn't killed in 2013.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

the yellow dart posted:

Well she obviously meant his evil clone. You know, the one who wasn't killed in 2013.

actually it was rigged in 2006 for 2020

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Argas posted:

actually it was rigged in 2006 for 2020

Either that or Chavez is still alive like JFK Jr.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

Either that or Chavez is still alive like JFK Jr.

Alternatively,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

So this is where Buckley from Dead Man on Campus ended up :(

Unrelated: I checked IMDb to find out what that actor's name was and learned that he co-wrote Cabin Fever with Eli Roth.