Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thanatosian posted:

Coal power plants and fracking rigs are technically infrastructure, too. I would have a problem with building those, as well.

God drat you're so loving disingenuous and stupid. This isn't even close to a relevant argument for how infrastructure is developed here. Get hosed, moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yep on arrow. I miss doing that a lot but I’m glad I’m not right now what with covid. My last boss wrote the first USCG approved stability for fisherman course way back in like the eighties, he headlined the expo that year. I’ve got the original drafts sitting in my garage. Dutch harbor is an interesting place, it’s the only place I’ve hitchhiked. i did some time there as a cadet.

Lol, I bet I know them. My dad and stepdad were both USCG fishing vessel safety guys.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

God drat you're so loving disingenuous and stupid. This isn't even close to a relevant argument for how infrastructure is developed here. Get hosed, moron.

I'd like to spend a billion public dollars inducing demand for more car commutes, but don't compare that to subsidies for fossil fuels. That's not the same thing at all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As an Oregonian watching you Seattle folks tear each other apart is heavily my poo poo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what's the thread consensus on the magnolia bridge tho
Last I heard, it was needing repairs and lacked funding

but no one uses it anyways

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

I'd like to spend a billion public dollars inducing demand for more car commutes, but don't compare that to subsidies for fossil fuels. That's not the same thing at all.

:hmmyes:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wait so the fix to Seattle being too congested is to sublet houses so multiple families can occupy them? This helps traffic?

Is the perfect Seattle city just non stop apartment buildings?
As far as market based housing goes, the correct solution is to upzone and let demand sort out building forms.

If demand is actually higher for single family homes, then that's fine. If people demand duplexes or townhomes or apartments, that's also fine.

edit: and what helps traffic is letting as many people as possible avoid (car) traffic entirely: better support for walking, biking, and especially transit.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 17, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

okay how about this hear me out —— the west seattle *tunnel*

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

The current SDOT contractor is doing a cost-benefit analysis (think Chinese menu) that includes a possible tunnel but has little tunnel experience themselves and are also doing the same sort of study for the Sound Transit light rail, so I would think it is unlikely unless the seismic & soil says that the next bridge you build is going to crack in the same way as the current one.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bad design is the reason the current one is cracking. Current design methods would have caught the issue.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Bad design is the reason the current one is cracking. Current design methods would have caught the issue.

*runs billion dollar tunnel boring machine into pipe we put there to make sure the soil was appropriate for the billion dollar tunnel boring machine*

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This will all be solved with flying cars. Get on it you boeing nerds

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Tunnels are way too expensive compared to other options

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Oldest Man posted:

While this is true, the state is already investigating an alternative to gas taxes, including a pay per mile tax because the rise of electric cars is already diminishing the gas tax returns to the state.

I'm not a fan of the setup but given the city was designed to have the west seattle bridge in mind to service the people of West Seattle. Ideally I think the city is going to have to do a hybrid solution of replacing it while also creating a better public transit solution (maybe replace the bridge and put a light rail smack dab in the middle of it, idk).

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

The current SDOT contractor is doing a cost-benefit analysis (think Chinese menu) that includes a possible tunnel but has little tunnel experience themselves and are also doing the same sort of study for the Sound Transit light rail, so I would think it is unlikely unless the seismic & soil says that the next bridge you build is going to crack in the same way as the current one.

Let’s just have Elon drill it he can make tunnels for like free now right?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how about a car tunnel to replace the ballard bridge and then elevated tracks over the cut for the light rail

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

seiferguy posted:

While this is true, the state is already investigating an alternative to gas taxes, including a pay per mile tax because the rise of electric cars is already diminishing the gas tax returns to the state.

I'm not a fan of the setup but given the city was designed to have the west seattle bridge in mind to service the people of West Seattle. Ideally I think the city is going to have to do a hybrid solution of replacing it while also creating a better public transit solution (maybe replace the bridge and put a light rail smack dab in the middle of it, idk).

Ah yes, "the people of West Seattle." Gosh wow I wonder who these people are that they deserve a billion dollar car bridge to give them the fastest possible commute hmmmm even though it's one of the lowest population density areas in the city hmmmmmmmmmm and a light rail connection is already planned on top of that hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The city was "designed" to have restrictive whites-only covenants in these neighborhoods to create a white SFH playground, but then white people decided that wasn't good enough because they had to wait in traffic on the old bridge or get on a ferry or drive the long way around and lobbied the government to make it easier for them to get from their whites-only commuter suburb into work, and now that specific bridge directly serves some of the whitest neighborhoods in the city.

Meanwhile, as we sink a billion dollars into replacing it (and let's not kid ourselves, it's going to be double that when the dust has settled) and plan on heaping another five or six on top of that for a light rail connection as well, Rainier Ave S can't even be made safer for the people walking across it every day because wE cAn'T rEdUcE sErVicE lEveLs while the planned bus service there is slashed and the city has an open liability for hundreds of millions of dollars to remediate ADA violations because we can't fund basic rear end non-car poo poo like, I don't know, loving sidewalks on a timeline any faster than 18 years.

So gently caress how this city was designed, frankly. Seattle is showing its entire rear end here and refuses to consider pulling its pants up.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Kirios posted:

As an Oregonian watching you Seattle folks tear each other apart is heavily my poo poo.

you know their just getting riled up to drive down here and abuse our lack of sales tax. like soccer hooligans after a match

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

As someone who lives in the region my entire life, Seattle has always struck me as a palace of well meaning hubris.

Work in our city, but dont park here.
Most of this burned down, build on top of it.

Etc.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Voice of Labor posted:

you know their just getting riled up to drive down here and abuse our lack of sales tax. like soccer hooligans after a match

*Vancouver-ishly* that sure is a functional tax system you got there. Would be a shame if someone... arbitraged it.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Gerund posted:

*Vancouver-ishly* that sure is a functional tax system you got there. Would be a shame if someone... arbitraged it.

Lol

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

The Oldest Man posted:

Ah yes, "the people of West Seattle." Gosh wow I wonder who these people are that they deserve a billion dollar car bridge to give them the fastest possible commute hmmmm even though it's one of the lowest population density areas in the city hmmmmmmmmmm and a light rail connection is already planned on top of that hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The city was "designed" to have restrictive whites-only covenants in these neighborhoods to create a white SFH playground, but then white people decided that wasn't good enough because they had to wait in traffic on the old bridge or get on a ferry or drive the long way around and lobbied the government to make it easier for them to get from their whites-only commuter suburb into work, and now that specific bridge directly serves some of the whitest neighborhoods in the city.

Meanwhile, as we sink a billion dollars into replacing it (and let's not kid ourselves, it's going to be double that when the dust has settled) and plan on heaping another five or six on top of that for a light rail connection as well, Rainier Ave S can't even be made safer for the people walking across it every day because wE cAn'T rEdUcE sErVicE lEveLs while the planned bus service there is slashed and the city has an open liability for hundreds of millions of dollars to remediate ADA violations because we can't fund basic rear end non-car poo poo like, I don't know, loving sidewalks on a timeline any faster than 18 years.

So gently caress how this city was designed, frankly. Seattle is showing its entire rear end here and refuses to consider pulling its pants up.

HARD agree

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Womp womp.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Don't replace the West Seattle Bridge, let the house prices drop, then I can move there because my commute takes me south of the city where I don't need no stinkin' bridge.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Voice of Labor posted:

more income tax revenue for oregon, less sales tax revenue for washington. is there a way we can stir their poo poo up even more?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

On my lunch walk today I went up around Laurelhurst Park. They're sweeping all the tents and such. I've been walking past there on either my lunchtime or evening walk for a while so I've watched it develop. Seemed generally well mannered and I never felt unsafe. Probably very unsightly for the wealthy folks in the area though, so once Teddy secured his reelection I figured it wouldn't last much longer. A lot of already displaced people wandering in the cold and rain and covid. Very nice city we have here.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
See you tell that story and I can't help but feel it's maybe not so nice. Still probably one of the best in our very not good country. Man, it's a really bad country.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think FacebookEmpathyMom might have been sarcastic there.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

And yet, the people who will suffer under your proposed scheme to punish white people are the residents of the poorer communities along the south side who's neighborhoods bear the brunt of increased traffic, primarily Southpark (who's bridge was just replaced), decreasing air quality in a neighborhood with the lowest life expectancy in the county.

marxismftw fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 20, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

marxismftw posted:

And yet, the people who will suffer under your proposed scheme to punish white people are the residents of the poorer communities along the south side who's neighborhoods bear the brunt of increased traffic, primarily Georgetown (who's bridge was just replaced), decreasing air quality in a neighborhood with the lowest life expectancy in the county.

If only there was a way to spend a few billion dollars to fix those problems that didn't involve spending it on making rich white people's lives easier, oh well

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

If only there was a way to spend a few billion dollars to fix those problems that didn't involve spending it on making rich white people's lives easier, oh well

If only.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Fix the population density AND diversity issues of the area through drastic upzones and public housing.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

A newer, bigger bridge in Southpark? Perhaps a new highway running right up 14th?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I suppose you could spend a few billion dollars building a wall around west seattle and keeping the white people inside of it

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

marxismftw posted:

A newer, bigger bridge in Southpark? Perhaps a new highway running right up 14th?

I really don't think plowing a highway through the only great place to find tamales is the equitable solution you think it is.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Gerund posted:

I really don't think plowing a highway through the only great place to find tamales is the equitable solution you think it is.

I don't think it's an equitable solution at all. I thought my snark was pretty evident.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

In case oregon goons were wondering, she picked the worst option for the bridge: to pay a fuckload of money for a short term bandaid on the hope she kicks the can fast enough that she can still get re-elected.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

In case oregon goons were wondering, she picked the worst option for the bridge: to pay a fuckload of money for a short term bandaid on the hope she kicks the can fast enough that she can still get re-elected.

Work on the repair will have just about started by the time Teargas Jenny will be up for election. Oh, and the budget and length of time gained before obsolescence seems wildly optimistic but you won't hear any counter-reporting from the local white news reporters.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m not sure it has anything to do with her. My understanding is the repairs would last about a decade, which is not long. But there isn’t really a choice anyway. The bridge is in worse shape than you think. I think it’s more about getting it stabilized before the next minor earthquake.

If the bridge comes down it cuts off T-5, T-18, and T-30 not to mention everything further down the duwamish. The whole region (and quite a lot of Alaska) is affected by the logistics that pass or are physically under that bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Kirios posted:

Speaking of bridges, I'm still mad since all the WA Dems mainly focus in Seattle all the chuds in Vancouver keep voting down the I-5 bridge plan with light rail because 'crime train'.