Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

tbh i only think white light is okay. the song is good but as an opening it doesn't really fit the game

abyss, legendia and innocence have cooler ops

It kind of fits the theoretical game that was advertised, that was actually about compassion in a complex and uncaring world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not fitting the game probably why it's good lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Also, they used a sound loop for background noise in the cities that was supposed to be generic chatter but I swear there was a very audible "I love their armor" and I couldn't ignore it. There were multiple cutscenes in cities and I keep hearing this doofus say "I love their armor" in the background over and over again.
MUTTON
FRESH MUTTON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMC8tZmAblc&t=71s

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i love how there's so many things wrong about zestiria that the thread rightly dunked on it for a whole page and didn't even get to the absolutely busted garbage that is the crafting and equipment system.

The Colonel posted:

zestiria is the hardest you will ever see a series completely reject the entire script of one of its own major entries via its own prequel and adaptation into other media

even the manga i read which had a lot of the game's story played straight, they still changed the part where alisha's mentor turns evil for literally no reason because seriously that was stupid.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

I think one problem I have with Yakuza 7's combat is I'm not sure what each job is going for. Like it's really just they either do physical or magic damage.

Adachi's detective job for instance I thought could have it's taunt and counter ability for like tanking but status effects seem really iffy on triggering.

The two main differences between jobs are what stats they boost, and what elements they attack with.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

MechaX posted:

Even the lore of Zestiria seems unfinished; characters talk about the mythical legend of the last messiah figure like he was around hundreds of years ago and his great deeds are totally lost to time, but then you later learned this poo poo happened 10-20 years ago

That poo poo happens with Vesperia too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The only thing I really know about Tales of Zestiria is that Rising Up rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lCpvN_ImBw

Go Shiina ftw

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

It also happens with Phantasia and Symphonia too though not to quite the same degree. A lot of poo poo should be in living memory of a bunch of characters you meet up with who just uh don't mention it until you learn via plot reveal.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

tbh i only think white light is okay. the song is good but as an opening it doesn't really fit the game

abyss, legendia and innocence have cooler ops

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFCskRNZ-E

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I barely remember the Abyss op since I played it on 3DS and just left it running the whole time lol

It's okay I guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
You're okay I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
PLaying through Berseria again cause a friend got it on sale for my birthday and Rokugo is way more fun to play than I remember. I remember hating him and Elenor and sticking on Magi and Eizen for the most part.

Anyone know the hot Rokugo tech?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hammer that R2, even if it doesn't trigger it gets the target way closer to being stunned and then you can Hurricane Thrust the soul back for free.

Thrusting, generally, is the single thing that solves every problem with Rokurou because sends you back into the enemy after he's done flipping off into the distance in a random direction.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

A Sometimes Food posted:

Legit the only interesting thing about Zestiria is that Sorey was gay with the water spirit guy.

My sister likes Zestiria and as far as I can tell, this is literally the main thing her entire attachment to it is based on because the rest is...not great. All about the ship!

EDIT: Forgot some of the music was great too. Still!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MechaX posted:

Even the lore of Zestiria seems unfinished; characters talk about the mythical legend of the last messiah figure like he was around hundreds of years ago and his great deeds are totally lost to time, but then you later learned this poo poo happened 10-20 years ago

Tired Moritz posted:

Zore posted:

It also happens with Phantasia and Symphonia too though not to quite the same degree. A lot of poo poo should be in living memory of a bunch of characters you meet up with who just uh don't mention it until you learn via plot reveal.

It's basically the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy effect where things become legendary within a very tight time window.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So was Zesty just rushed out without like a second pass on the script or like....finishing what was clearly gonna be a split story route? Like why is it somehow so undercooked

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they had the longest dev cycle of any tales game in a while, they wanted to make it a big open world game with splitting story paths, they thought they had the resources to make this work, they were working with a ps3 game engine that could barely maintain 30fps on the ps4

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think it's very likely that there was a massive change in direction at some point during production. A lot of stuff in marketing just doesn't remotely match what we got, Alisha being the most obvious but far from only example.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I started Digital Devil Saga yesterday, and the opening was pretty cool but gently caress me the encounter rate is high. I also wasn't really paying enough attention so I ended up running around in circles chasing this guy and battling every 5 steps, then I accidentally pressed load state and lost my progress :negative:

is there an easy way to lower the encounter rate (I'm emulating it)? I'm not sure I can deal with the whole game being like that

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

At least Zesteria had a pretty rad opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75SiQg2Bek

"I want to be white, white nowwwwwww" I forgot that bit. Think I choked on my drink when I heard it the first time I fired Zesty up.

Also I dig the villain's design being this huge lion monster thing, just shame about everything else outside his design.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Starry Heavens, the Symphonia OP, is still my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAQUparDhtg

Berseria's is a close second. I used to like Ring A Bell back when i first played Vesperia but I've soured on it since.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's me, the one person that actually kind of likes Zestiria. It's weak for a Tales game, and the story is....something, but for some reason I still just kind of like it.

The crafting system is hot garbage, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

don't forget the skill system! that's hot garbage too!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just started Zestiria but Sorey talking about those prickleboars is very cute.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like that the tutorials about how the crafting/skill system work

A) can only be seen by sleeping a bunch at inns in a game where save points are full restores, that also doesnt have MP/TP so its relatively easy to keep yourself fully healed just via spamming healing spells during easy random battles
B) have every single character talking about how this makes no sense and is impossible to understand

One thing I did like about Zestiria was the dialogue whenever you ran into a new monster though. That was genuinely good.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it helps that playing as velvet is just loving fun, shes a great mc and really elevates berseria

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The skill system is hot garbage but it scratches a very specific itch for me. I loved loving around with those skills to see what combinations I could come up with.

Honestly I just wish it wasn't explicitly tied to equipment, I really don't like having to choose between good stats and good skills

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If the skill system had a better way of visualizing which skills would turn into what when combining and showing how that affected the grind on top of having easier ways of getting specific skills/slots then it might have been worth messing around with for the cool effects.

By the end of the game, I was just going with more dots=better as long as the atk stat was being boosted. There are some weird weapons that give only defensive stats for whatever reason

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chrono Ark is really good scratches the EO/Labyrinth of Touhou itch for me without the stuff that makes me mildly anxious in the former of those two.
You really do have to opt in for the beta though because jeez there is way more skill variety present and the skill books add a lot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Chrono Ark is really good scratches the EO/Labyrinth of Touhou itch for me without the stuff that makes me mildly anxious in the former of those two.
You really do have to opt in for the beta though because jeez there is way more skill variety present and the skill books add a lot.

That seems backwards since being a roguelike seems like it'd make you more anxious, normally, but yes it's a good game. They also completely revamped Lian at some point and while I can see why they did that, I also think a lot of her old skills are now weird and pointless (like why would she ever want to cover someone or taunt now that it doesn't proc Parry?).

Edit: Oh, I guess it could make you less anxious because it's impossible to invest "wrong" when it's all going to reset in less than 2 hours?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

That seems backwards since being a roguelike seems like it'd make you more anxious, normally, but yes it's a good game. They also completely revamped Lian at some point and while I can see why they did that, I also think a lot of her old skills are now weird and pointless (like why would she ever want to cover someone or taunt now that it doesn't proc Parry?).

Edit: Oh, I guess it could make you less anxious because it's impossible to invest "wrong" when it's all going to reset in less than 2 hours?

I dunno if its anything about investment but yeah just, having a run instead of the normal loop of EO helps a lot for me. But again Labyrinth of the Touhou I am perfectly fine with so I dunno exactly what it is about EO's loop that makes me anxious over time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finally beat atelier annie

i couldn't get the ending i watned after laying out my entire playthrough for it because there are multiple missable scenes that have zero signposting. half of the character writing i was enjoying cut off abruptly and never came up again because of that. this includes lise and gillian, so basically the only characters i got to see full arcs for were kyle, kilbert and beaux. it's not even possible to rest through the last few months of nothing happening because there is no rest option, so you just have to synthesize a bunch until you hit the ending. this is the worst atelier game i've ever played lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 21, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The DS games don't count as mainline for a good reason. Gust didn't even make them.

Apparently one of the two Japan-only DS spinoffs is decent but I forget which one

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hey Rokurou is pretty fun not that i've gotten some time as him, i like to combo into earth mine and flip out then thrust back in but also

Hey I got Eizen so time to go back to my flash step, dempsey roll, spell casting ways.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you know. i feel bad for anyone at gust who worked on doing a full 3ds remake of atelier rorona only for atelier rorona dx to come out on switch two years afterwards

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it's one of like two Gust games in the last decade not to get a western release too which shows how much anyone cared about it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Didn't that 3DS remake use repurposed assets from a failed Atelier gacha/mobile game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Playing Tales of Symphonia and it's slamming up and down on my buttons regarding missable items and scenes and it takes multiple affirmations that it's okay, I don't need to 100% it, let it go. Eesh. Game good but brain bad.

e: I do have an actual question! Are there any characters who will permanently leave the party? Do I need to take their gear ahead of time? I've been burned by Final Fantasy.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 21, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: I do have an actual question! Are there any characters who will permanently leave the party? Do I need to take their gear ahead of time? I've been burned by Final Fantasy.

nope

you can have either zelos or kratos at the end after a big scene but they serve the same function and i think share the same equips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kratos leaves the party, and at the end of the game you can either keep Zelos or get Kratos back. However, Kratos and Zelos have the same equipment. They have slightly different spell lists and different melee strings but are fairly similar characters who fulfill the same red mage role in combat.