Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Anyone using a Keystep 37? my new one is not cooperating.

A. Other midi keyboard usb into iPhone: works
B. Keystep usb into computer: works
C. Keystep usb into iPhone: nothing, not even an acknowledgement that there's something plugged in.

I'm pretty sure it's not a cable or connection problem because of points A and B. iPhone and Keystep are both fully updated. I've sent Arturia tech support an email but who knows when they'll get back to me. This should be plug and play, I don't get it.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

rickiep00h posted:

Joining the SQ parade. I loved that thing (SQ1) and I was sad when I had to give it back to the dude I borrowed it from.

My esq-1 is done with being repaired. New battery and chunk of keys are now in working order.

Finally get to use the eBay patch cart I picked up. Will post pics when I get it home and set up again.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

bees x1000 posted:

Anyone using a Keystep 37? my new one is not cooperating.

A. Other midi keyboard usb into iPhone: works
B. Keystep usb into computer: works
C. Keystep usb into iPhone: nothing, not even an acknowledgement that there's something plugged in.

I'm pretty sure it's not a cable or connection problem because of points A and B. iPhone and Keystep are both fully updated. I've sent Arturia tech support an email but who knows when they'll get back to me. This should be plug and play, I don't get it.

OK, so I've figured it out. I'm using a 3 way splitter adapter: lightning power in, USB midi in, 1/8th audio out. The iPhone will only recognize the Keystep if I unplug the 1/8th inch audio, but then I can't route audio the way I want to. Plugging the 1/8th jack back in after getting the Keystep recognized just results in silence. In other words, it's useless to me. My other midi keyboard doesn't do this.

If Arturia tech support doesn't have a fix I'm going to have to return it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

NonzeroCircle posted:

New Cubase landed with no fanfare as usual.
No new synths but Spectralayers is now included and the vocal removal in that is pure voodoo

oh the forum complaints creates its own fanfare!

Just got mine installed. tbh i bought it solely for the audio mixdown features, and I feel like its worth it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bees x1000 posted:

OK, so I've figured it out. I'm using a 3 way splitter adapter: lightning power in, USB midi in, 1/8th audio out. The iPhone will only recognize the Keystep if I unplug the 1/8th inch audio, but then I can't route audio the way I want to. Plugging the 1/8th jack back in after getting the Keystep recognized just results in silence. In other words, it's useless to me. My other midi keyboard doesn't do this.

If Arturia tech support doesn't have a fix I'm going to have to return it.
Do you have power connected to the keystep too, or are you trying to power it over usb?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

Do you have power connected to the keystep too, or are you trying to power it over usb?

Yes I do, lightning power in. Separate from USB midi in. This setup works with a different midi keyboard, but I wanted it to work with the Keystep.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

Yes I do, lightning power in. Separate from USB midi in. This setup works with a different midi keyboard, but I wanted it to work with the Keystep.
I don't understand what you mean with lightning power in in this context. Do you have a photo of this setup?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't understand what you mean with lightning power in in this context. Do you have a photo of this setup?
It's this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z61HMCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lightning splitter with 3 connections. Lightning power, USB midi, 1/8th audio. Works great with stuff that isn't Keystep.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

It's this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z61HMCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lightning splitter with 3 connections. Lightning power, USB midi, 1/8th audio. Works great with stuff that isn't Keystep.
Right. The lightning thing is powering the phone. The keystep is powered from the usb port. It's possible the keystep requires more power than the other midi keyboard. I'm thinking it is likely that if you power the keystep through the barrel plug on its back, it will work.

I had similar issues with the Minilab mk I and an external dac combo and had to incorporate a powered hub.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yeah, I’m thinking power management. I have a keystep regular that works fine just from the iPad lightning camera dongle with or without lightning power running to it. But that’s with an old iPad regular that has a built in headphone jack.

If you don’t get enough power to the Keystep 37 which I assume requires more draw than the OG model (like maybe if you’re also powering a small DAC inside the dongle given that you appear to be running audio through it) it might need to get power either from a DC wall wart or potentially by plugging it into a powered usb hub if you have one of those and then plugging the hub into your iOS dongle.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

No, the Keystep has its own, separate power connection. It's powered when not plugged into the phone or the PC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

No, the Keystep has its own, separate power connection. It's powered when not plugged into the phone or the PC.

Is it a third party dongle?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah, but again, this exact setup with these exact connections and cables works with a different midi keyboard.

edit: I've requested a return so that's the end of this. Whatever, my old setup is good, I was just hoping to simplify a little.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 14, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

Yeah ok, then I've got nothing.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Decided to try once again to do a more mobile eurorack rig (previous tries have been suitcase sized so too big for just taking along on a whim) so I got myself an Intellijel Palette case and 0-CTRL for sequencing. I don't know why I haven't used the model input of Knits (Plaits) that much before but it seems to pair especially well with 0-CTRL where you can easily define an instrument per step and then modulate everything with everything. :shroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBb-YDuSTlc

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

toadee posted:

My man have you heard about Musique Concrete...?

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/metal-on-metal

sunday experiments continuing

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Vital is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNvSXxZrs4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSQZRmYOa8

It's stupidly good.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
does it have scala or .tun support? I'm almost due for a new softsynth I will forget I have installed

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
poo poo I am getting back into Pico-8 for game dev, one reason I wanted to get away from it was that the waveforms in the tracker sound screechy and bad to me. You really have to dance around to coax a good tone out of the defaults. I would much rather use Deflmask to create songs. I do know some people create custom waveforms (in pico8), which I'll have to figure out when I make my games.

Really though, I don't think there is any future in making music unless it's something I get paid for. I think creating songs for video games is a very reasonable target audience. I've been trying to move away from guitar for that reason, there is more demand for electro.

I can imagine getting really drat good at my Elektron gear but still having a job that I dread going to, and that's kind of I think depressing. It's why I've spent so long learning a new skill (reading the Digitone manual) compared to the developing the music skill I already have.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Vitas is here:

https://youtu.be/UaWrX_rWFtE

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bought an el capistan to go with my minilogue

https://clyp.it/ck5vi1jm

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

massive spider posted:

bought an el capistan to go with my minilogue

https://clyp.it/ck5vi1jm

el cap was my first expensive pedal - it's probably still my most expensive one - and I have no regrets. I love the texture on that clip.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Anyone else here good with the Erica Sample drum? I'm having trouble getting usable settings from the onboard filter effects. The usable / musical range seems to happen in the first or last few % of the knob range while everything else is either unaffected or complete silence

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

havelock posted:

el cap was my first expensive pedal - it's probably still my most expensive one - and I have no regrets. I love the texture on that clip.

Same. It's at a good one. At the time I didn't like it because it was hard to make sense of, but it's great. People share their settings online if you need to somewhere to start

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Cheese Thief posted:

Same. It's at a good one. At the time I didn't like it because it was hard to make sense of, but it's great. People share their settings online if you need to somewhere to start

I just dime the wow and flutter and adjust repeats and time situationally - it's great.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjD-CFG4r4
I just bought a (mint) MegaFM off Reverb, shipped from here in America. I've always wanted one, it was a pretty good price compared to what I see it going for ($600+$20 shipping). I think they'll get harder to come by when the Genesis chips go in short supply, so I really think it's good purchase. the Mega Drive chip + Digitone + DX7 are going to be unique team. together.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

How does everybody compress and/or sidechain in euro? WMD MSCL looks like the best module for this (and in stereo) but its $250 which seems to be a lot for something with one application. Are pedals or outboard boxes better for this?

You know you've gone way too far down the euro hole when you're looking for compressor modules.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

How does everybody compress and/or sidechain in euro? WMD MSCL looks like the best module for this (and in stereo) but its $250 which seems to be a lot for something with one application. Are pedals or outboard boxes better for this?

You know you've gone way too far down the euro hole when you're looking for compressor modules.

If you have a decent amount of utility, start by patching your own compressor- sidechaining (feed forward) and feedback designs are fairly easy to patch up with a VCA and an envelope or a LPG. Stereo is obviously going to double everything but I think most people are patching euro in mono and then any stereo width comes from effects after the signal chain.
If you find yourself patching anything from scratch every single time, that's when I would consider buying a dedicated module. Until then, why not use what you have?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have a MSCL for end of chain compression, and a SSF Autodyne for drums but mostly for the kick. Sometimes I also do simili-sidechaining with optomix and the damp CV in.

Compressors are one of the last utilities I put in the rack but drat does it change everything, but also it doesn't forgive if you have sources of noise in your mix.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I don’t think that OPN ICs will become scarce before the heat death of the universe.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc3Gd6kPVAs

money please

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have an opinion on the instrument 1 by artiphon? It's kind of niche but I would love a guitar layout controller bc I'm much better at playing guitar than keys. $300 almost seems too good to be true since a lot of mpe controllers like the linnstrument are way more expensive sooo idk

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

everyone goes through this I just figured he would have gotten it out of his system at a younger age lol

altho I can't imagine how much gear I would buy if I actually started making money doing shows again

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

everyone goes through this I just figured he would have gotten it out of his system at a younger age lol

altho I can't imagine how much gear I would buy if I actually started making money doing shows again

how does one get to the point where they can write off their gear purchases?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

how does one get to the point where they can write off their gear purchases?

I remember a friend in grade school who told me his dad (a therapist or something) wrote his gear off as business expense because he would play back his synthesizer soundscapes during sessions

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

don't worry, there's still obscene studios left:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KurQrv1Tuw

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I remember a friend in grade school who told me his dad (a therapist or something) wrote his gear off as business expense because he would play back his synthesizer soundscapes during sessions

I mean, I ran a business off of a laptop that I wrote off a few years ago. Can you write off your office stereo?

If you play $500 in gigs or patreon donations or whatever can you write off $500 in gear? Can you write off $5000?

"I call my studio Mar-A-Lago"

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

sheesh. Tom has ALOT of poo poo.

Wonder if he'll sell the big guns, like Jupiter 8 and poo poo like that?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

sheesh. Tom has ALOT of poo poo.

Wonder if he'll sell the big guns, like Jupiter 8 and poo poo like that?

Yea even if he sells 95 percent of his gear he will still have more cool pieces than most artists. From watching his videos I hope he keeps some of those old sampling keyboards, they seemed important to his sound. Surely he keeps the Jupiter 8 and cs80 and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

field balm posted:

Surely he keeps the Jupiter 8 and cs80 and stuff like that.

quote:

More than 200 synths, samplers, and other electronic instruments, nearly 100 pedals, 30-plus microphones, dozens of guitars, drums, and more—all of this will be available on Reverb. Many of the items have found their way onto Holkenborg's film and TV soundtracks, and all of them have been played and well-maintained in his studio.

Rare synths like the Roland Jupiter-8 are in immaculate condition, while affordable samplers like his '80s Roland S-50 have all the modern upgrades one could want—a floppy-to-USB drive with a huge library of sounds and an external display screen for easy use.

Looks like the JP8 is still going.