Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Oswald was killed by Mercians! Be wary of Guavanaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What colours were the mercians using? This is important as it will determine whether I side with the mercians.

Seriously the union flag is horrible but the northumbrian one is absolutely hideous I don't want to look at it everywhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Send me your future Oswald Mosleys :gritin:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What colours were the mercians using? This is important as it will determine whether I side with the mercians.

Seriously the union flag is horrible but the northumbrian one is absolutely hideous I don't want to look at it everywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving christ I also don't want to be the swedish mandate of scotland either.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

To be honest theyre all pretty shite. When they were handing out flags, seems like they all started from the back of the queue or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Before people settled on my actual name of Cameron apparently Finlay was considered. Think I lucked out.

If there's something I never thought I'd see said in this thread, it's "My name is Cameron, aren't I lucky".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why not have something nice like cumberland county

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

How is anyone supposed to march into battle with that? embarrassing.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Before people settled on my actual name of Cameron apparently Finlay was considered. Think I lucked out.

No Tories called Cameron, no sir.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah you don't even love to fight.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

If there's something I never thought I'd see said in this thread, it's "My name is Cameron, aren't I lucky".

It's a good name and pig fucker won't take that from me

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean, I still think of the guy from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Patel report is 100% going to be leaked now right.

Like theres no way it doesn't get out.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Just design a new flag for the independent north. Bonus points for goatse

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

How would an independent north affect football? Both international and domestic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sheffield Rules Football is the true form of the game. Don't mind variants like rugby, soccer, or gridiron, but it's a true fact.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What stands out as interesting in the sheffield rules is how suited they are to kids park football, particularly that a throw in is awarded to the team who first touches the ball after it goes out of play, so rewarding whoever goes and gets the ball after some knobhead hoofs it all the way over wherever.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How would an independent north affect football? Both international and domestic.

Aren't most of the good teams Northern? (I have no idea, I know that fox team won a few years back and they are from the Midlands so who knows)

OwlFancier posted:

Why not have something nice like cumberland county

combine the two

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

justcola posted:

Aren't most of the good teams Northern? (I have no idea, I know that fox team won a few years back and they are from the Midlands so who knows)

combine the two

wheres the gold ring

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

To clarify I do not own cufflinks.

Guavanaut posted:

Up until at least very recently Facebook considered Fénian to be a slur worthy of being kicked off for, which created an awkward situation for an Irish friend who was named that by incredibly Republican parents, who otherwise went by Fin and ended up having to fax them ID and resented it massively for the obvious 'we need to see your ID' reasons that would apply there.

This is amazing.

forkboy84 posted:

I was nearly called Fergus so happy to have dodged that bullet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I'm raising the battle standard for Good London. We'll allow Newham in on the grounds that Woolwich used to have a weird little exclave in Silvertown and also we'll need London City Airport for logistics and the Olympic Stadium and Excel for... certain large-scale public events that will need to happen.

Note that of the 22 seats covered by the old LCC, (24 if you include Newham) only 3 - Two Cities, Chelsea and Fulham, and Kensington - have ever had a Tory MP. We'll allow the latter to repent their Lib Dem sins, the other two will undergo extensive re-education along with Bad London.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SpaceCommie posted:

To clarify I do not own cufflinks.

This is amazing.

I was nearly called Fergus so happy to have dodged that bullet.

A common feature of any argument with my dad, who I'm named after, was "Your mum wanted to call you Malcolm".

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

justcola posted:

combine the two

If you're suggesting this as the independent flag for the North you're gonna split the movement when all the Yorkshire people split off in a huff

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm raising the battle standard for Good London. We'll allow Newham in on the grounds that Woolwich used to have a weird little exclave in Silvertown and also we'll need London City Airport for logistics and the Olympic Stadium and Excel for... certain large-scale public events that will need to happen.

Note that of the 22 seats covered by the old LCC, (24 if you include Newham) only 3 - Two Cities, Chelsea and Fulham, and Kensington - have ever had a Tory MP. We'll allow the latter to repent their Lib Dem sins, the other two will undergo extensive re-education along with Bad London.

Before I get onboard with this I need a full list of what is and isn't good London.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I don't even know if I'm in Mercia or Wessex.

Stupid fuzzy early medieval borders.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

serious gaylord posted:

The Patel report is 100% going to be leaked now right.

Like theres no way it doesn't get out.

I look forward to the investigation into how it got leaked if/when it does. Time to go check the "news" "services" now to see which one has the most earnest "Priti Patel is the real victim, we should be apologising to her" hot take. It was either that or stick red hot pokers in my eyes.

We could also do with an investigation into party leaders interfering with investigations, but the only way that would happen is if Bozo and Keith can collude for the answer that clears them.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

sebzilla posted:

choose your favourite flag

boring

or, the incredibly weary Wessex wyvern that's hoping you'll be scared enough to run away if it poses

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

sebzilla posted:

In the North Cotswolds there are enough places called Wychwood that you can intuit that you're in Hwicce :eng101:

If, however, you're in the good part of the Cotswolds, you're probably Cornish or something

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

Depends how you define "good" - the current Premiership has 8 teams from the north (assuming you include historical Lancashire, so Liverpool and Manchester, in the "north"), 6 from London, 4 from the Midlands, and 2 from the south coast.

In historical terms of Division 1/Premiership champions, Lancashire absolutely pisses it - Liverpool and (Greater) Manchester clubs have won 61 titles in 131 years. London is way back with 21 winners (Man U and Liverpool have 20 and 19 wins each, respectively, to put that in context).

There's a theory about why this is. To build a football club of decent size you obviously need a large working-class population within walking distance of the ground, but also a couple of local rich blokes to fund stuff like stadiums, which is fairly obvious, but to make a *top* club you need double that, enough to support two clubs in the same fairly constrained area. Of those top-division winners they almost always come in twos - Everton/Liverpool, Man City/United, Arsenal/Tottenham - between them these six clubs gave 79 titles. The only winners without an obvious, strong regional rival (assuming you treat the West Midlands as a weird little polycule) are either one-hit wonders like Ipswich or Leicester, or teams managed by Brian Clough.

Conversely there are loads of clubs with (again, pre-1960s) big support who never made it - Charlton, Middlesbrough and Plymouth Argyle all used to have >50k home supporters, but with no local rivals *of equivalent size* they never hit critical mass.

The thinking goes that it's the intensity of the local rivalry, in the days when players were amateur or semi-pro and so recruited locally, along with having a sufficient pool of local talent, that fuels the fame of the clubs and pushes them up to the next level. Liverpool and Manchester were in the sweet spot of local talent and supporters pool to pull this off. Birmingham London and South Yorkshire were too big and spread-out for the rivalries to really ignite with fans and players pulled to multiple clubs, while Tyne and Wear (the only region to support big clubs outside of the Industrial Coffin*) wasn't quite big enough.

* the roughly coffin-shaped area from London to Liverpool and Leeds, spreading out across the Midlands, where the Industrial Revolution had the largest effects - not coincidentally this includes almost every major city in England and something like 60% of the population in 25% of the land.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The obvious implication here is that if Leicester wants to win again, the top priority is to get Forest into the Premier League.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The only good flag is one with a tool or gun on itm Mozambique best flag

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

Before I get onboard with this I need a full list of what is and isn't good London.

The area covered by the old County of London, plus Newham. Basically the area inside the North and South Circular roads, or Zones 1-2 and most of 3 if you want to do think of it that way.

It's not perfect - like I say we're going to have to need Excel to have space for the show trials and guillotines - but it's the point I'm always trying to make when people dismiss London as being Tory Central, white flight has nicely sorted London into Good and Bad for us.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

The only good flag is one with a tool or gun on itm Mozambique best flag
*googles flags with tool or weapon*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The obvious implication here is that if Leicester wants to win again, the top priority is to get Forest into the Premier League.

The real implication is that if Millwall - in the first of the Old Tricks they like to get up to - hadn't done a moonlight flit south of the river, stealing the name on the way out, West Ham would have won as many titles as Manchester United. I will not be taking questions.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wonder why Edinburgh have fallen short then. Because they have all the criteria on the face to do just as well. Guess it's just intertia by this point.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

Lypiatt Park was originally built for the first Earl of Wessex (according to the rich cunts* that live there, I briefly worked for them), which is probably as close to a definitive answer you can get (if true)

e: *some of them were actually alright, but the way they collectively treated me as an employee plus how much of a megacunt the one that I think now owns the Woolpack is offsets it

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 21, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I wonder why Edinburgh have fallen short then. Because they have all the criteria on the face to do just as well. Guess it's just intertia by this point.

Edinburgh falls down on the working class metric, because the only part of Edinburgh that exists is Morningside

Borrovan posted:

Lypiatt Park was originally built for the first Earl of Wessex (according to the rich cunts that live there, I briefly worked for them), which is probably as close to a definitive answer you can get (if true)

Nah, because the first Earl of Wessex didn't exist until the 11th century so by that point the Heptarchy was a distant memory.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1330103311492665347?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol someone went on hignfy and joked a out bombing Glastonbury and is now upset at getting abuse on twitter