Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Jeffrey Combs is the highlight of Enterprise.

Watching people be dicks to Vulcans is one of the good parts of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And watching Vulcans completely and rightly clown on humans is also good.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Two thoughts as I continue slowly through TOS:
1) How many plots are going to be "Enterprise finds a planet upon which things from their minds are manifested into reality/their perceptions are messed with to believe in illusions. everyone plays along for 35 minutes while spock calls it illogical. at the end of the episode it's revealed that the planet is inhabited by a race of Higher Beings who either misunderstood humanity or deliberately hosed with them" because there have been at LEAST five so far. (as of season 1 episode 21)
2) emotional races in star trek be like "today i will microaggress a vulcan repeatedly"

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

curiousTerminal posted:

Two thoughts as I continue slowly through TOS:
1) How many plots are going to be "Enterprise finds a planet upon which things from their minds are manifested into reality/their perceptions are messed with to believe in illusions. everyone plays along for 35 minutes while spock calls it illogical. at the end of the episode it's revealed that the planet is inhabited by a race of Higher Beings who either misunderstood humanity or deliberately hosed with them" because there have been at LEAST five so far. (as of season 1 episode 21)

this will only happen more and more

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was surprised how many episodes were just ‘an alternate Earth’

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Thanatosian posted:

Quark owning a vulcan with facts and logic is one of star trek's finest moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdQcGzbpN7s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even when the "exactly like Earth" factor never actually mattered at all *cough*Miri*cough*

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Vulcans are full of poo poo because "smugness" is absolutely an emotion and they make no effort to rein that particular emotion in whatsoever. They deserve to be mercilessly clowned on for it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wrong thread

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

FlamingLiberal posted:

TOS is a weird show to watch all the way through if your only prior exposure to it was a greatest hits reel.

My dad and my aunt used to buy me VHS copies of TOS episodes when I was little and I watched them constantly, but it was literally like I had a physical version of a 20 best episodes listicle. Watching the series all the way through much later was, uh, enlightening.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel that the writers are never really consistent on what "logic" means. A lot of the time it seems like they're acting like "logical" things are self-evident rather than the result of some line of reasoning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

TOS is a weird show to watch all the way through if your only prior exposure to it was a greatest hits reel.

My dad and my aunt used to buy me VHS copies of TOS episodes when I was little and I watched them constantly, but it was literally like I had a physical version of a 20 best episodes listicle. Watching the series all the way through much later was, uh, enlightening.
Yeah I watched a lot of the ‘classic’ episodes on VHS when I was a kid, but just this year I watched the entire thing on Netflix and there were plenty of bizarre episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel that the writers are never really consistent on what "logic" means. A lot of the time it seems like they're acting like "logical" things are self-evident rather than the result of some line of reasoning.

'Axioms are true' is a logical statement, just a tautological one

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
TOS and a few Voyager seasons are the only live action ST I haven’t seen. I’m sure I’ll finish Voyager at some point. It’s hard to want to watch TOS with some of the posts here.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I have been mainlining Trek for 25 years and I still haven't been able to make myself sit down and watch all of TOS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Star Trek is the best Star Trek show

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

What the gently caress Amazon ? How is this not a $4.20 rental ?

If I get stoned enough to appreciate it, will I remember to actually watch the thing ?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I have been mainlining Trek for 25 years and I still haven't been able to make myself sit down and watch all of TOS.

It's tough. I did it but I can't say it's a good idea. It was more painful than Voyager.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mllaneza posted:

If I get stoned enough to appreciate it, will I remember to actually watch the thing ?

Like Cause and Effect, except instead of Frasier, it’s weed.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TOS is good and if you can't handle it, that's because you're weak and probably going to die

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tighclops posted:

TOS is good and if you can't handle it, that's because you're weak and probably going to die

Rest In Peace Nimoy.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
My issues with TOS are the same issues I have with a lot of 60s sci fi (and non-comedy TV) in general: It's slow as hell and is written from the perspective of a society that doesn't exist anymore, so a lot of the plots and characters are vaguely alienating.
60s Doctor Who, TOS, the Time Tunnel, Dark Shadows, all of it feels like it's more informed by Stage Theater than by TV. It's also clearly padding for time due to low budget so there's a lot of held shots and scenes that go on for much too long. The only reason I've been able to watch it is because I do it as background noise while doing other things. Household chores, the extremely repetitive extra hours that work is giving me right now (I am manually putting a half sheet of paper into a flat sheet envelope. for 8 hours straight). It's fun and campy, but god is it hard to sit down and watch.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

skasion posted:

Star Trek is the best Star Trek show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Honestly after recently rewatching TOS you can pretty much just watch the 15-20 good episodes and skip the rest

There is almost no continuity between episodes for the most part so you aren't missing anything when you skip something like 'Miri'

My personal list would be-

Where No Man Has Gone Before
The Corbomite Maneuver
Balance of Terror
The Galileo Seven
Arena
Space Seed
The Devil in the Dark
Errand of Mercy
The City on the Edge of Forever
Amok Time
Mirror, Mirror
The Doomsday Machine
Journey to Babel
The Trouble With Tribbles
The Immunity Syndrome
The Ultimate Computer
The Enterprise Incident
The Tholian Web
Day of the Dove

That's 19 total. Only 3 from Season 3.

One other big problem with TOS is that they love to recycle the same concepts a lot. You have like 5 of the 'Kirk and/or Spock are forced to fight to the death' episodes, and also a bunch of 'X person/group tries to take over the Enterprise'

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 22, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

curiousTerminal posted:

My issues with TOS are the same issues I have with a lot of 60s sci fi (and non-comedy TV) in general: It's slow as hell and is written from the perspective of a society that doesn't exist anymore, so a lot of the plots and characters are vaguely alienating.
60s Doctor Who, TOS, the Time Tunnel, Dark Shadows, all of it feels like it's more informed by Stage Theater than by TV. It's also clearly padding for time due to low budget so there's a lot of held shots and scenes that go on for much too long. The only reason I've been able to watch it is because I do it as background noise while doing other things. Household chores, the extremely repetitive extra hours that work is giving me right now (I am manually putting a half sheet of paper into a flat sheet envelope. for 8 hours straight). It's fun and campy, but god is it hard to sit down and watch.
Have to admit that as time's gone on I'm increasingly finding a lot of TOS (and TNG!) slow, but not yet unwatchably so. On the other hand, really early Doctor Who and The Avengers - when the episodes were literally filmed as if they were performing a play, just in front of cameras rather than an audience - have definitely become "watch with one eye on the phone". (Not to say that the best episodes aren't still engrossing, but anything less than A-grade becomes a struggle to maintain concentration.)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I like the relative slowness for atmosphere.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 22, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I like TOS' slowness too. Media tends to be so ADHD these days that it's nice to watch something that takes its time to build up.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The dearth of lengthy commercial breaks in an old show is refreshing. Characters can have meaningful, in-depth conversations. Actors can chew scenery. Even though TNG only started 20 years later, you can already see how the increase in commercials affects what the writers can do. Things gotta be wrapped up quick so Pizza Hut and Pepsi can get into your brain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I like TOS' slowness too. Media tends to be so ADHD these days that it's nice to watch something that takes its time to build up.
Yes that is definitely something classic Trek got right that modern Trek has a major problem with

And there’s no excuse when your show doesn’t have to fit in a regular TV time slot because you are on streaming

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly after recently rewatching TOS you can pretty much just watch the 15-20 good episodes and skip the rest

There is almost no continuity between episodes for the most part so you aren't missing anything when you skip something like 'Miri'

My personal list would be-

Where No Man Has Gone Before
The Corbomite Maneuver
Balance of Terror
The Galileo Seven
Arena
Space Seed
The Devil in the Dark
Errand of Mercy
The City on the Edge of Forever
Amok Time
Mirror, Mirror
The Doomsday Machine
Journey to Babel
The Trouble With Tribbles
The Immunity Syndrome
The Ultimate Computer
The Enterprise Incident
The Tholian Web
Day of the Dove

One other big problem with TOS is that they love to recycle the same concepts a lot. You have like 5 of the 'Kirk and/or Spock are forced to fight to the death' episodes, and also a bunch of 'X person/group tries to take over the Enterprise'

My list is a lot longer. Like, a lot a lot.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

That's definitely a solid "greatest hits" list but I do remember some of the less-celebrated ones being decent. Like "Metamorphosis," or that one with the salt vampire.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'd add A Taste of Armageddon to the list to round it out to 20. It moves pretty quickly, it's got Scotty in charge, and it feels vaguely like modern Trek outside of the implication that, uh, Starfleet has a general order for "just loving destroy this whole planet from orbit"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are others in a second tier but I consider those ‘essential’

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Enemy Within, All Our Yesterdays and Spectre of the Gun are, in my opinion, three solid episodes. Fans sometimes get hung up on the cheesy acting in Enemy Within, but I like the philosophy of that episode even if Shatner's acting is dialed up to eleven. But I pretty much agree with the list.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s worth watching all of the show imo. There is a diversity of episodes and different ones will appeal to different people, even if there is a generally agreed-on core of classics. One of its biggest advantages over the other shows is its weirdness and experimental quality. Sometimes this works out, other times you get The Alternative Factor or Children Shall Lead.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The ideal way to watch TOS seems to more or less be the way it was originally assumed people would watch it: to catch roughly 50% of the episodes, hopefully the best ones, and then eventually find the rest in reruns.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

The ideal way to watch TOS seems to more or less be the way it was originally assumed people would watch it: to catch roughly 50% of the episodes, hopefully the best ones, and then eventually find the rest in reruns.

The show's appeal made a lot more sense to me when I started walking in partway through un-remastered episodes at 3am on Nick at Nite.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the proper way to experience star trek is indeed at 3am in a darkened room or preferably wood panelled basement on a flickering CRT television, either during summer break from school or after a long and arduous night shift at work

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
My first exposure to Trek was when it was in syndication and it was competing with first run Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica, and even to my very young eyes Trek was more compelling, although not more visually exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
TOS has plenty of faults, but I'm kind of surprised to hear that people consider it "slow" or dull. (Certain episodes excepted.) Even when nothing much is happening, it's full of bombastic scoring, bright colors, snappy dialogue, and strongly defined characters. And plenty of redshirt deaths.

But shows definitely have evolved in pacing; one of my favorite series that I watched first-run in the '80s was St. Elsewhere. I bought the 1st season DVDs a while back and tried to rewatch and just could not get through it. Maybe i should go back and finish because Covid has depleted most of my "watch this sometime" backlog.