  • Post
Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

twistedmentat posted:

Newsgroups were the way to go for the best early porn.

I'd like to personally thank NASA for giving me access to a bunch of porn in the 90s.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Eldritch BiLast posted:

Not a musician themselves, but I think Rake Yohn from Jackass/CKY/Viva La Bam has a MS, or at least BS, in Chemistry and works in synthetic materials right now.

wait what

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

I am pretty sure Fark was responsible for my early porn viewing much like DPPH was for many on this site.

I think Fark users who didn't know better tagging porn with the X-E tag is 90% of the reason he changed the name of his site to Dinosaur Dracula

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If you weren't around the internet in the mid-1990s, you don't know just how scarce it was to find actual photographs of anything online. Or how much time it took to download any of them.

It was BBSs and trading floppies in high school with like 4 low res images of models topless or wearing sheer clothing before we got access to newsgroups or internet. There was also FTPs you might get lucky to access to through IRC.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Paging Humphreys

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is Usenet still a thing or did the spam ratio finally get too close to 100%?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Caedus posted:

wait what

Graduated Penn State in Chemistry in '97 and has worked for GSK for 22 years, according to their LinkedIn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AlternateAccount posted:

Is Usenet still a thing or did the spam ratio finally get too close to 100%?

100% the people posting in like alt.tv.simpsons in 1994 are still posting there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
YouTube just gave me this “David Duchovny in kilt on Larry Sanders show” and I could not help but think of this thread..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqWRCPQPFjQ

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

AlternateAccount posted:

Is Usenet still a thing or did the spam ratio finally get too close to 100%?

There are still groups of bitter old grognards trying to use it for discussion, but 99.9999% of the traffic is warez and child porn.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AlternateAccount posted:

Is Usenet still a thing or did the spam ratio finally get too close to 100%?

depends on the board

rec.games.video.arcade.collecting and rec.games.pinball still get consistent posting

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I heard Macarena in a business this afternoon.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

A Closer Look: Batman Returns' Impact On Children (1992)

https://youtu.be/KWxrHz-JORE

Featuring the wussiest child movie critic

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZDar Fan posted:

A Closer Look: Batman Returns' Impact On Children (1992)

https://youtu.be/KWxrHz-JORE

Featuring the wussiest child movie critic

I don't see Doug Walker anywhere in this video? :confused:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ZDar Fan posted:

A Closer Look: Batman Returns' Impact On Children (1992)

https://youtu.be/KWxrHz-JORE

Featuring the wussiest child movie critic

I had nearly forgotten just how the late 80's and early 90's were toward pearl clutching about media. There was a major push against violence at the time, as if these Boomers never went to a violent movie when they were 11.

also :lol: @ "horny boy movies"

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Started earlier than the late 80s. I was a college radio DJ in the early-mid 80/ when this poo poo got started. Thanks, Tipper!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

I had nearly forgotten just how the late 80's and early 90's were toward pearl clutching about media. There was a major push against violence at the time, as if these Boomers never went to a violent movie when they were 11.

also :lol: @ "horny boy movies"

The "video games are corrupting the minds of our innocent babies" followup lasted into the early 00's then seemed to just disappear overnight. I want to say Jack Thomson getting his legal poo poo kicked in is what put the final nail in that due to being the loudest voice at the time, but it may have been coincidental.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want to say Jack Thomson getting his legal poo poo kicked in is what put the final nail in that due to being the loudest voice at the time, but it may have been coincidental.
I think it was more the cultural change that happened where things like Halo, Madden, and WoW turned into big multi-year franchises that kept getting bigger and bigger.

Throw the Wii and the App Store promoting casual games to a huge market (and even Facebook/Zynga stuff like Farmville and Angry Birds) into the mix and you have a lot more people going "nah I play Rocket Sudoku during my lunch breaks and I haven't murderized anyone".

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think Fark users who didn't know better tagging porn with the X-E tag is 90% of the reason he changed the name of his site to Dinosaur Dracula

wow....I had always just assumed he stopped updating. thanks for this

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gone Fashing posted:

wow....I had always just assumed he stopped updating. thanks for this

no problem. He has a fun podcast too. Not as prolific as he once was, but you've got like an 8 year backlog to catch up on.

Link if you need it.

https://dinosaurdracula.com/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Honestly, this isn’t that bad outside of a few.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

I think it was more the cultural change that happened where things like Halo, Madden, and WoW turned into big multi-year franchises that kept getting bigger and bigger.

Throw the Wii and the App Store promoting casual games to a huge market (and even Facebook/Zynga stuff like Farmville and Angry Birds) into the mix and you have a lot more people going "nah I play Rocket Sudoku during my lunch breaks and I haven't murderized anyone".

Yeah, that was my other thought too as that all happened around the same time :hmmyes:.

Cartoon Man posted:

Honestly, this isn’t that bad outside of a few.

Mostly correct, but 90's Nick Fury is canonically David Hasselhoff :colbert:.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ant-man should still be Paul Rudd.

:colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

Ant-man should still be Paul Rudd.

:colbert:
:hmmyes:

Iron Crowned posted:

I had nearly forgotten just how the late 80's and early 90's were toward pearl clutching about media. There was a major push against violence at the time, as if these Boomers never went to a violent movie when they were 11.

also :lol: @ "horny boy movies"
It was correctly pointed out that pearl-clutchers were always around clutching pearls and there was some major poo poo in the early 80s, but I do recall that the late 80s/early 90s saw an uptick against games specifically because a lot of the new parents were late-period Baby Boomers/early Gen-Xers and those guys are both numerous like bedbugs and infamous at being hard to ignore. It was like they all breathed deep and let out a big cultural klaxon belch whining simultaneously because video games were loving with their idea of how they thought their kids' upbringing was going to happen (not that they would have done poo poo otherwise; this particular crop of Boomers/Gen-Xers are infamous for viewing their kids as extensions of their own journey and ditching them).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was Mila a big star in the 90s? I guess it depends on if its before or after Fifth Element because that's what put her on the map for a lot of people. Also a lot of women i know discovered they were bisexual through her. Also Keanu is way too young in the 90s to be Doctor Strange, Mel Gibson would have probably been cast.

So for years I've heard this xmas song and had no idea who it was, but it sounded like New Order, mostly because of the insturmentation. But they never did an xmas song, just a funky version of Ode to Joy. So maybe Bernard worked with someone else and made it. Nope, today i found out that it was a band called Saint Etienne that I've never heard of before. Brits get way better xmas music than we do. How many versions of Last Christmas can you do? Why does every American Idol drop out have their own xmas album? The only one I can stand is the She and Him one, and even that's wearing thin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yd-pfEeHoA
Also TOTP performances are always hilarious.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

http://www.dialupsound.com

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Honestly I feel like Bubba’s addons are complete garbage otherwise.

Michael’s suck, too except for mirrors and maybe the hair brush or pearls(?)z

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Got to see Sleater-Kinney last year in Seattle :rock: Only strengthened my huge, sloppy crush on Carrie Brownstein. Was going to drive out to Spokane with my roommate to go see them again in August but...you know...

At one point during the show Carrie's talking to the audience and talking about how important it is show up for causes you believe in (especially since the 2016 election) but at the same time that it's also important to show up for things that you love and goddamn does that just hit different in hindsight. If only we all knew what was coming.

Bikini Kill was going to have a reunion show in Seattle this year, too, that also got corona'd. Decemberists were doing their 20th anniversary tour this year as well.

God, what this year could have been :sigh:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I heard Macarena in a business this afternoon.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. It happens to all of us. We're here for you.

Funny thing, trends and fads spread throughout the world with a delay. What is popular in America today will be popular in Germany some months later, and the Czech Republic some weeks after that. Something I found out to my chagrin during the whole Macarena craze. Yes, cute German girl, I will dance the dance with you. No, I don't like it at all.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

madeintaipei posted:

Yes, cute German girl, I will dance the dance with you. No, I don't like it at all.

God, its amazing what people will do if it might get them laid.

I think they spread much faster these days with the intronets and all.

I wonder if the Twist, that was so popular in the 50s turned in to one of those "oh god did people really like that" things later on.
I know its looked upon with nostalgia now, but I wonder if when it died out if people were repulsed by it for a time.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Landfill posted:

Got to see Sleater-Kinney last year in Seattle :rock: Only strengthened my huge, sloppy crush on Carrie Brownstein. Was going to drive out to Spokane with my roommate to go see them again in August but...you know...

At one point during the show Carrie's talking to the audience and talking about how important it is show up for causes you believe in (especially since the 2016 election) but at the same time that it's also important to show up for things that you love and goddamn does that just hit different in hindsight. If only we all knew what was coming.

Bikini Kill was going to have a reunion show in Seattle this year, too, that also got corona'd. Decemberists were doing their 20th anniversary tour this year as well.

God, what this year could have been :sigh:

I had tickets to all three of those this year. All were pushed back til the later half of 21 so hopefully I’ll be vaccinated and ready to go by then

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
So you share my pain, then :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So much going on here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Give Lance Bass credit here for bringing his A game to that shoot. Everyone else is like "man how many more photos before we get to eat"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Should’ve had “bat poo poo crazy” as a third option for the Britney question.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

So much going on here.

what kind of double life are we talking here?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Backstreet Boys and Frontwalk Men. Tale as old as time

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shibawanko posted:

what kind of double life are we talking here?

International assassins.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Cartoon Man posted:

Should’ve had “bat poo poo crazy” as a third option for the Britney question.

In hindsight I'd say it was less "crazy" and more "she is being exploited by the adults in her life" :smith:

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Dec 6, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah. That plus the rumors of her sister's pregnancy/weird foot Nickshow guy make her wigging out a lot more serious and dark than the media treated it as.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4