Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Anna Jay for Rookie of the Year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

the escape goat posted:

OC has the right reaction to New Day being in the new Gears of War game but Ali puts the icing on this odd little cake.

I think the “what?” is in reference to Big E yelling “Freshly Squeezed!” In that video, but I don’t blame anyone for not watching it

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

HidaO-Win posted:

what's the actual definition of this? I feel like theres probably others, depending on what the bar is (starboy charlie? billie starkz?)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HidaO-Win posted:

She has a better chance this year with so little going on in Mexico. If she has a strong showing on Wednesday I would probably favor her over likely some more deserving candidates in Japan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, she was in the right place at the right time, but they definitely did a great job identifying and capitalizing on her VERY OBVIOUS star power and charisma and working to build the teachable parts of wrestling.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

And Anna Jay (along with Lee Johnson & I think Alan Angels) is from the crop of QT’s students who was working for him before he was an obvious pipeline to AEW.
Angels was originally trained by A.R. Fox at WWA4 (I don't think anyone has ever explained why the "4" is there), but he's been training at Nightmare Factory since hooking up with AEW.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

kento kobune/SBKENTo in dragon gate is the clear rookie of the year (talking deserving, not likelihood) but that's no slight on anna jay. he's just both incredibly good for his age/level of experience and in a promotion in a heavy youth movement mode.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pinwiz11 posted:

I can't find a post directly from Sonny about this so...

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1330249628260904967

:toot::woop::dance:

A few more:

https://twitter.com/dabryceisright/status/1330317264462209025
https://twitter.com/TheBrandiRhodes/status/1330302889466744838
https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt/status/1330214901768450055
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1330303002448629760

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It’s really loving cool to see so many people congratulating sonny for that.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Meanwhile WWE can’t even acknowledge Sasha Banks on the loving Mandalorian.

Good for Sonny, one of my biggest regrets is dropping out of high school and not getting an education, she should be proud to do it with so much going on.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Sonny "The MainBrain" Kiss will be a cool character

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sonny Kiss, The Genius of Concrete Rose to make his new moniker as Japanese as possible

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

davidbix posted:

Also, for someone who had something like a dozen matches, maybe less when she first appeared on Dynamite, she was shockingly competent.

I think she said her first tag match with Tay was her 4th Match, her dynamite debut may have actually being her second match.

Thauros posted:

kento kobune/SBKENTo in dragon gate is the clear rookie of the year (talking deserving, not likelihood) but that's no slight on anna jay. he's just both incredibly good for his age/level of experience and in a promotion in a heavy youth movement mode.

The rookie definition is generally "in their breakout year" - might want to try and see some dragon gate.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-5xGXpNt74

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/anchi_61/status/1330092155369648132

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1330332770023849984?s=20

Ugh everything is so divisive. I just hope we can find some common ground with the blue lives matter qanon folks

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does Master Wato qualify as a rookie? Do the years NJPW workers spend as young lions/on excursion count?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Undertakerwearingnazigearcasually.jpg

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Does Master Wato qualify as a rookie? Do the years NJPW workers spend as young lions/on excursion count?

That feels like stretching the definition, to me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1330332770023849984?s=20

Ugh everything is so divisive. I just hope we can find some common ground with the blue lives matter qanon folks

Lol chuds just mean “I wish everyone would just agree with me so I can have my way”

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

It's generally debut in a major promotion so Young Lions are rookies after they debut as Young Lions. Sometimes a smaller promotion that gets national attention will lead to someone like Frightmare winning.

https://twitter.com/KillLutherKill/status/1330366288485552131

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ok Yeah Luther is pretty good lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress the Undertaker and I can't wait for even WWE fans to turn on his dusty crusty rear end

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

gently caress the Undertaker and I can't wait for even WWE fans to turn on his dusty crusty rear end

Theywill all die off before that happens.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/officialtaz/status/1330406625534947328?s=21

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

love that TAZ

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Taz has sounded like such a bitter, miserable prick basically since he started wrestling and seeing him actually enjoying wrestling, laughing, and having fun in AEW is one of the biggest selling points to wrestlers that you could possibly have.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I love that Taz can't help but be goofy when he gets on the headset with excalibur, and with the rest of the gang as well.

He does these awesome hardass promos, but as soon as he is on commentary he just can't help lightening up a little bit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I love that Taz can't help but be goofy when he gets on the headset with excalibur, and with the rest of the gang as well.

He does these awesome hardass promos, but as soon as he is on commentary he just can't help lightening up a little bit.
Excalibur has that effect on everyone, both Ross and Tony have been shocked at the deep cuts that Ex can pull out of the air and he can send both into giggle fits. The initial reaction to Excalibur is always "Who is this mark, why is he wearing a mask on commentary, is he putting himself over?" and after a session or two they end up loving him because he's so knowledgeable and fun to bounce off of as a commentator. He's a total natural and is a shoe-in for the best commentator of the modern era

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

love a taz

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i get the feeling taz’s neck is permanently one bump from death, given he does less than arn anderson or tully blanchard

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I love how earnest and excited so many guys sound, but both Tony Schiavone and Taz sounding so loose and upbeat is so good. Really throws years of WWE into sharp relief.

and I love that AEW allows things to have more than one note - for Taz to have his promos, to analyze moves in the pre-taped packages, and to show a bit more during commentary. It's a much better tone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

Meanwhile WWE can’t even acknowledge Sasha Banks on the loving Mandalorian.

They did , you’re the second person to claim this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Have they brought it up on Smackdown?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/noah_ghc/status/1330455599390334977?s=09

Wrestling is cool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Have they brought it up on Smackdown?

Nobody here watches it so who knows

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

harperdc posted:

I love how earnest and excited so many guys sound, but both Tony Schiavone and Taz sounding so loose and upbeat is so good. Really throws years of WWE into sharp relief.

and I love that AEW allows things to have more than one note - for Taz to have his promos, to analyze moves in the pre-taped packages, and to show a bit more during commentary. It's a much better tone.
Taz is allowed to be goofy with Excalibur because he's a generally neutral play by play guy, he respects Jim Ross as his senior, but I will never stop laughing at Taz taking jabs at Tony who has no idea how to react to what Taz says.

Tony being the butt of jokes is one of my favorite AEW shticks, he's such a likable guy and every one of his friends just wants to dunk on him relentlessly including Aubrey in their podcast.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Everyone just seems happier in AEW and it shows in everything they do.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

harperdc posted:

It also helps that AEW commentary isn't a gapless wall of noise and fake enthusiasm. Even NXT commentary is terrible now because the desk isn't allowed to ever stop yelling and they have a billion different brand extensions to shill during every match. I don't know how people stand it.

Really, the "more than one note" observation extends to the rest of AEW's product too. It's refreshing to see variance in a wrestling product and it's worth a clunker match or segment here and there for me. Everything in WWE looks and feels exactly the same, and if any match or segment rises above that flat constant it's by mistake and/or reserved for the talent Vince likes. It loving sucks and I'm glad AEW is less predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Sami's instagram got hacked again and Ali's reply is actually good