Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm so glad I have not insane family. Even my uncle who voted ukip for insane reasons is extremely careful about close contact because he has to see very at risk family members so refused to be within 2m recently

He was a virologist though so

My dad was acommunist party member in the 70s and while isn't a centrist has definitely been brainwashed a bit that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which Spiked Online journalist is he?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He retired extremely young and built a ridiculously nice house deep into the countryside to get away from people and look after a bunch of animals with my aunt and I plan to move there if an apocalypse happens. Yes he has properly secured guns

It's on Airbnb though so lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soricidus posted:

So, hands up who’s excited for a nice normal family Christmas? Can’t wait to give granny the ultimate gift

I mean my nice normal family Christmas is at home with my wife and cat so nothing new there then this year.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My mum is being very insistent that I come home for Christmas.

It'd just be mum, dad and myself and last time I visited (back in October) I don't think my folks saw my lower jaw during that entire time.

Part of me really doesn't want to go back. I don't want to risk infecting either of them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

My mum is being very insistent that I come home for Christmas.

It'd just be mum, dad and myself and last time I visited (back in October) I don't think my folks saw my lower jaw during that entire time.

Part of me really doesn't want to go back. I don't want to risk infecting either of them.

Don't go then.

If they complain, it's better than them dying.

If they're unrelenting, don't answer their phone calls, or agree to go then fall mysteriously ill on the day.

This is a good impulse, don't ignore it. Not going is the right thing under the circumstances.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't go then.

If they complain, it's better than them dying.

If they're unrelenting, don't answer their phone calls, or agree to go then fall mysteriously ill on the day.

This is a good impulse, don't ignore it. Not going is the right thing under the circumstances.

My mums had mental health stuff all of this year and is just about getting back on her feet and I... I don't really know how to say "no" to folks.

That and I can't even fall back on the "government guidelines" stuff. At least then they'd listen to me.

I wish I could make them understand that I'm trying to keep them safe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

Not going is the right thing under the circumstances.

drat right.

Josef bugman posted:

My mums had mental health stuff all of this year and is just about getting back on her feet and I... I don't really know how to say "no" to folks.

That and I can't even fall back on the "government guidelines" stuff. At least then they'd listen to me.

I wish I could make them understand that I'm trying to keep them safe.

Give her a link to an account of what happens to you in hospital, the diarrhea bags, the 12 hour turnings so you don't suffocate or drown in your own lungs, the facial scarring from the nose tube strapped to for so long.
Then say that you don't want to risk it, who knows who last touched that petrol pump at the petrol station on the way to see them, or door to the shop you touched 1 week ago.
Totally worth it for a few hours of mince pies and watching Shrek 2 on the TV together.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 23, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Worse than that, I'd be going up by train!

But she won't though, I don't really want to put pressure on someone who is already petrified of death (that was the MH problem to vastly oversimplify things).

I know you folks are right its just getting them to listen. I think dad will understand but sometimes mum doesn't cope well with stuff.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've brewed four different beers, a cider and a wine in time for Christmas and plan to spend it in blissful, boozy quiet with my partner and the dog. We told our families in September that flying internationally just didn't look like a thing that would be happening this year, we'll do a video chat and see you once travel carries less of a risk of plague with it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

No loving way!
Do tell, you may have posted about it before but I don't recall it.

There's not a huge amount to tell - me and a couple of my mates were at the market and this film crew came past filming this made Scottish bloke. He actually shouted at my mate calling him a naughty naughty boy and wagging his finger - I was sure it made it into the final cut of the video but it's never been in any version I've seen on Youtube, I dunno if there was a longer version or something? Coincidentally the pair of us were huge Sadowitz fans having heard Gobshite, his only album, but didn't twig that was him until his video came out a little bit later.

The funny thing is me and the mate who got shouted at have completely different memories of where it actually was - I'm certain it's Cheshire Street, which is part of Brick Lane Market, he's convinced it's Roman Road Market (we tended to go to both, Roman Road is a Saturday market, Brick Lane's on Sunday) and there's not even a tiebreaker in the video itself because the other scenes are split between Brick Lane and Bow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's no way my parents are letting me get away with not visiting, especially since mine and my dad's birthdays are a few days after Christmas, but they said they would probably come and get me - it's not a short journey, but not too long either. In which case I'd get enough food in and isolate for two weeks beforehand.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Just email everyone a link to jinglecats on youtube and spend christmas day with your phone off drinking 2 boxes of asda rose wine and eating a whole bag of mccain potato smiles imo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm so glad my family have unanimously agreed we're dishing presents to each other out of car windows then going home.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

My parents will be visiting us in a new house we’ll have moved into on the 11th (assuming they’re allowed to anyway). We’ve never hosted Christmas before and this plan was made when we expected to be moving in October.

I see no way this ends horribly for all concerned.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've just been filling out the EU settlement application (yes I know it's late but I've been out of the country for a bit) and amusingly enough it's still in "BETA" as it says in big letters and disclaimers, while, uhh, less than 40 days from the actual Brexit.

I'm wondering if they'll have a 'golden master' version ready for Brexit Day.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Everyone stand respectfully to watch the royal majesty highness queen of all the merry Engerland give her queen speech to the nation :catstare:

on the tullavision set

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Our best friends and neighbours just had a baby and they're stupidly lonely so we agreed to do Christmas with them. They've been isolating since Feb like us and are really strict about it. They finally said "gently caress it, we miss you guys" as we haven't had them over to sit in our garden since summer.

Kinda terrified as well...As much as I know them well, They're not us, And you can never be 100 percent sure.

We did a trial run yesterday as our oven is broken and they doubted I could cook roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings on our bbq.

Success!

Red light was me using the grill (which works despite the oven just blowing warm air) to melt duck fat onto a baking tray til smoking hot then tossing the roasties in.

ASDA substituted the turkey crown for turkey medallions so I made schnitzel. Got some funny looks taking a full roast dinner for two on a tray through the neighbourhood but it was well appreciated by the poor knackered couple.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mebh posted:

Our best friends and neighbours just had a baby and they're stupidly lonely so we agreed to do Christmas with them. They've been isolating since Feb like us and are really strict about it. They finally said "gently caress it, we miss you guys" as we haven't had them over to sit in our garden since summer.

Kinda terrified as well...As much as I know them well, They're not us, And you can never be 100 percent sure.

We did a trial run yesterday as our oven is broken and they doubted I could cook roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings on our bbq.

Success!

Red light was me using the grill (which works despite the oven just blowing warm air) to melt duck fat onto a baking tray til smoking hot then tossing the roasties in.

ASDA substituted the turkey crown for turkey medallions so I made schnitzel. Got some funny looks taking a full roast dinner for two on a tray through the neighbourhood but it was well appreciated by the poor knackered couple.

well done, those look superb

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i am staying in london for christmas rather than going home to see family. they have largely taken it with equimanity and we hope to do something over summer instead

it will be weird christmassing alone but w/e. better than braving the trains for the three days that everyone travels, and quite frankly it's good to have an excuse to break the tradition.

Your family must be loving licking their lips at their good fortune.

loving lol. I enjoyed leaving that here but no pal I'm kidding. I hope you have a nice xmas with or without your family.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 23, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mrpwase posted:

I don't know if it applies in this case, but doesn't the GDPR entitle people to know if an automatic decision has been made, and to ask it be reconsidered manually? I don't hold out much hope for that being enforced meaningfully, but I seem to remember something about that in data security training.

You can, and in this case they’ll run you through the algorithm manually. It’s unlikely to make a change though - it’s there to catch the machine making errors, rather than challenge the actual scoring mechanism used. But there’s no right to know specifically why you failed it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Red Oktober posted:

You can, and in this case they’ll run you through the algorithm manually. It’s unlikely to make a change though - it’s there to catch the machine making errors, rather than challenge the actual scoring mechanism used. But there’s no right to know specifically why you failed it.

I've said it before but I have bad enough credit score not to qualify for any credit cards or even overdraft, despite having some amount of savings and no missed payments ever of any kind.

Must be karma or something. Though I'm sure being a foreigner doesn't help. Which honestly probably makes sense from a risk perspective, I could see foreign nationals being far more likely to run away from a bad debt.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Private Speech posted:

I've said it before but I have bad enough credit score not to qualify for any credit cards or even overdraft, despite having some amount of savings and no missed payments ever of any kind.

Must be karma or something. Though I'm sure being a foreigner doesn't help. Which honestly probably makes sense from a risk perspective, I could see foreign nationals being far more likely to run away from a bad debt.

It does make theoretical sense, but it’s not a factor I’ve ever seen used. Are you registered on the electoral roll? If not then that’s a major ding - but you can help by speaking to the three agencies (in the MSE link below) and sending them some proof of where you live like a utility bill.

The order of scoring is almost always:

Payment history - you’re good here. Generally around 35% of your score.
Credit utilisation - are you at the limits of your lending? That’s bad if so. But you don’t want too much available either, 35% utilisation is good.
Credit history length - how long have you had credit for.
What types do you have - they like to see a mix of different types.
And lastly, any recent ‘hard’ enquiries. This is only when you actually apply for a line of credit - not when you just check if you are eligible.

Next time you get a rejection ask foe the agency used - they have to give you this - and check with the agency what information they have on you.

I would grab a free copy for each of the three agencies, moneysavingexpert has a guide. If I had to guess then I’d say you either have incomplete address information, or a link to someone with bad history.

One last thing people often forget to do is make sure their postal address is correct for all of your billed products. For instance if you have a phone contract but get all your bills online you might not bother to tell them if you move (because they don’t post bills to you). But this will show up as inconsistent addresses when checked.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The Today programme is really doing a full court press on the "amazing news" - direct quote - that the AstraZeneca vaccine gives 70% protection. Presumably our impartial state broadcaster have been told to give the one vaccine least likely to affected by hosed up post-Brexit logistics the big 'un.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Today programme is really doing a full court press on the "amazing news" - direct quote - that the AstraZeneca vaccine gives 70% protection. Presumably our impartial state broadcaster have been told to give the one vaccine least likely to affected by hosed up post-Brexit logistics the big 'un.

That is amazing news though, we've ordered 100M doses of the vaccine so this should effectively mean the entire adult population should now have access to an working vaccine.

Pfizer and Moderna kinda spoilt us with their 95% efficacies though, 70%? Pffft

E: reading the article, two doses reach 90% efficacy so I'll let them off

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 23, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

That is amazing news though, we've ordered 100M doses of the vaccine so this should effectively mean the entire adult population should now have access to an working vaccine.

at 70% effectiveness I believe we'll need 80% of the population will need to get to proper herd immunity though, and good luck with that unless it's made mandatory, or at least "voluntary" to an extent that makes it effectively mandatory (i.e. basically no access to the NHS or any other government services without it), something the swivel-eyed wing of the Tories will never let happen.
e: to reply to your e: - the two-dose trial is "up to" 90% because it has a much smaller sample size

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No vaccine = no post-brexit bread ration.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

multijoe posted:

Yeah, it’s a bit more nuanced. Two doses gives higher effectiveness, and even at 70% those who did get infected did not get serious symptoms, which is significant.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I don't think anti vaccers will be nearly as big as problem as people think - the message all over the papers will be "get the vaccine and life goes back to normal" and old people will love the idea of that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

at 70% effectiveness I believe we'll need 80% of the population will need to get to proper herd immunity though, and good luck with that unless it's made mandatory, or at least "voluntary" to an extent that makes it effectively mandatory (i.e. basically no access to the NHS or any other government services without it), something the swivel-eyed wing of the Tories will never let happen.
e: to reply to your e: - the two-dose trial is "up to" 90% because it has a much smaller sample size

I mean we're not that far from it already are we? I thought current potential uptake figures we around 75%, its not hard to think it could be pushed a bit higher with a strong public awareness campaign and the evidence of vaccine working.

In any case this is a good news day and I'm not going to fault the press for covering it as such

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I ran into an old neighbour of mine the other day, who was saying that she's never really believed in vaccines & will not be getting it. I pointed out that people will continue to die until everyone is vaccinated, and it is the only way out. She did not argue the toss.

The antivax thing is a disturbingly common belief (like the 5G thing), but imo when push comes to shove most people don't really believe it that much

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Borrovan posted:

I ran into an old neighbour of mine the other day, who was saying that she's never really believed in vaccines & will not be getting it. I pointed out that people will continue to die until everyone is vaccinated, and it is the only way out. She did not argue the toss.

The antivax thing is a disturbingly common belief (like the 5G thing), but imo when push comes to shove most people don't really believe it that much

Speaking of 5G

Yes I'm aware it's from 2019

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 23, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I think the US has it far worse in that regard - a huge number of people seriously think a vaccine will be detrimental and will refuse it. Here I think it's mostly people who've seen a few anti-vax memes on Facebook and internalised them but don't really take it seriously.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I generally trust vaccines, but I definitely don't trust all vaccines equally. I'd rather have the SinoVac one or the mRNA ones than the one that has conferred immunity against one's own neural tube.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Speaking of 5G

1970s Belfast: Wear a Mask

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

Did you ask her how smallpox and polio were basically eradicated?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Guavanaut posted:

1970s Belfast: Wear a Mask

"Stay home, stay safe" also works

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

therattle posted:

Did you ask her how smallpox and polio were basically eradicated?
Of course not, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just wanted to (a)shut down that line of conversation, & (b)persuade her to bloody well get vaccinated.

There's zero point trying to engage a conspiracy theorist in an earnest debate about the merits of their pet theory, because it reinforces that the theory is worth debating, they've got (nonsense) rebuttals for these points anyway, and evidence to the contrary just entrenches their belief. Immediately reframing it so that they have the choice whether or not to say "but my half-baked opinions might not kill a whole loving shittonne of people" will shut down all but the most frothing nutters.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

multijoe posted:

It's actually weirder than that. Two full doses >1 month apart was 62% effective. A half dose followed by a full dose >1 month later was 90% effective. 70% is the average when combining all the people from both samples.

I'm guessing that's not what they expected since they enrolled a lot more people in the full two dose regimen.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A big takeaway from 2020 for me is how, in a time of unprecedented access to information, people are apparently getting worse at making decisions. It's as if when faced with complicated subjects people read one article, and rather than thinking "gently caress I don't know where to start with this" they instead think "I am now an expert, listen to my half-arsed opinions".

It seems to be more severe in the US and I imagine the constant push for self-reliance and rugged individualism is a big factor.

---

The half then full dose being better doesn't make a whole lot of sense and tbh I suspect it will turn out to be an artefact. Having said that the adenovirus is itself immunogenic and it's possible a full first dose generates more anti drug antibodies and fails to get the full effect from the booster dose.

I know that in previous work the Oxford lab used different viruses for the 2 doses.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1330554446607241216?s=19

https://twitter.com/LeanneWood/status/1330389706987679744?s=19