Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

There's Sword Interval, although I think most folks here know about it already.

I also recommend Gosu which is a pretty fun high-powered martial arts series whose creator just recently came back from a cancer scare.

My Giant Nerd Boyfriend is another fun one, just a cute slice of life.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

This is it, thanks!

Also, on the Webtoons front, linking the two I mentioned earlier:

Lore Olympus - A retelling primarily of the story of hades and persephone (but also involving a number of other myths), but with the realm of the gods being more "modern", with phones and offices and stuff. Fair warning: There's some rape and other unpleasant stuff that happens, although it's not at all the core focus of the comic.

Sweet Home - Everyone is turning into monsters, and the monsters are killing anyone who hasn't. A group of survivors struggles against threats both internal and external, as they slowly dwindle in numbers from being killed or turning into monsters themselves. Some individuals seems to be stuck halfway between human and monster, though, and may be the key to survival. This one is completely finished at this point. This one actually did well enough they made a live action TV series off it which is on... Netflix Asia, I think?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 17, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

My Webtoon picks:

Axed - A woman who has spent her whole life training to fight and slay monsters now has to get a job after the humans and monsters declare peace. Wacky, often dark comedy.

I opened to this page at random and I'm already sold.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/comedy/axed/s2-ep-43-1-meep/viewer?title_no=1558&episode_no=91

I'll check out everybody's links and do some trip reports or something later. Thanks!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I gotta say I really don't dig the webtoon format. I guess it's more intended to be read on phones, since a lot of it doesn't seem to scale right for my desktop windows, and then it's gotta be infinite scrolling, which is just a hassle to me.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I gotta say I really don't dig the webtoon format. I guess it's more intended to be read on phones, since a lot of it doesn't seem to scale right for my desktop windows, and then it's gotta be infinite scrolling, which is just a hassle to me.

I've got a lot of benefit out of just scaling down the Webtoon page. It makes the UI buttons a bit small but the comics are much more readable at 70%.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This new chapter of Widdershins is going places :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sweet Home was fairly nice but I felt it was at its strongest in the first..eh...quarter or so. After that it felt like the quality kind of wavered back & forth, and sometimes it felt like it kept repeating beats too much.
Still not bad and I enjoyed reading it, though.

Although, for some reason, maybe its just on my end and its a glitch, most of sweet home's translation got wiped out? There's only 14 chapters of it up now but it went to like 130 or so iirc. I had to search elsewhere for untranslated reuploads of the last 2 or 3 chapters.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Axed update:

I just binged around 32 chapters of this and I love it to death. I kind of hate it's core message that wage labor is good actually but the plot is such a non-element in the big picture that I can't really bring myself to care all that much. Definitely one I'd highly recommend.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

rannum posted:

Sweet Home was fairly nice but I felt it was at its strongest in the first..eh...quarter or so. After that it felt like the quality kind of wavered back & forth, and sometimes it felt like it kept repeating beats too much.
Still not bad and I enjoyed reading it, though.

Although, for some reason, maybe its just on my end and its a glitch, most of sweet home's translation got wiped out? There's only 14 chapters of it up now but it went to like 130 or so iirc. I had to search elsewhere for untranslated reuploads of the last 2 or 3 chapters.

Once a series finishes, after a certain grace period they go into the vault and you gotta go into the webtoon ecosystem to see the rest.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Axed update:

I just binged around 32 chapters of this and I love it to death. I kind of hate it's core message that wage labor is good actually but the plot is such a non-element in the big picture that I can't really bring myself to care all that much. Definitely one I'd highly recommend.
Lucky bastard. I got up into the point you mentioned - around ~24-25 chapters in - and I just couldn't keep going. Really couldn't stand that moment at all, not just because I hated the message but because it seemed to actively contradict the entirety of the comic up until that point. Jobs aren't necessary to give people purpose, damnit, as can be seen by (well, besides recorded history) the protagonist continuously failing to replace her old purpose in life by applying to awful jobs!

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 21, 2020

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
John Allison has been posting pictures from his upcoming story Circus Windows, starring Lottie and Mildred from Bad Machinery. This pic caught my eye.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

More Lottie? More Mildred? Yessssss.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

this is a hell of a comic and the most recent page is one of the most terrifying things i've ever seen in a webcomic

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

flatluigi posted:

this is a hell of a comic and the most recent page is one of the most terrifying things i've ever seen in a webcomic

Just binged through it, confirmed for v. good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A new Never Satisfied page, in which someone reveals they are spectacularly petty, a chaos gremlin, or both.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I mean she recently had a pretty big life event that has shifted her aggressively towards whatever the stage beyond Chaos Gremlin is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She also could really, really use some leverage right now and this is it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
At least some of the outburst due to the heightened emotions that come from being a husk. From the change in her jaw you can see it's clearly influencing her.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dr Subterfuge posted:

At least some of the outburst due to the heightened emotions that come from being a husk. From the change in her jaw you can see it's clearly influencing her.

I'm really enjoying her as a terrifying secret werewolf, this is a great development and I'm very much looking forward to the terrible results.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Dora really is a jerk to her brother every chance she gets, although now it does at least feel like it's intentional on the part of the author.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SlothfulCobra posted:

Same. I might just be too used to traditional pages, but there's something about webtoons format that seems really... content sparse? Like the panels are always too spread out, without enough going on in each of them. Why does there have to be half a page of whitespace between each panel?

Whenever I try to get into one, I always find myself scrolling faster and faster trying to keep the pace reasonable, and at some point my eyes glaze over or my scrolling finger gives out, and I click away. It's frustrating because there are probably some good stories there, but I just can't get past the format to find out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pavlov posted:

Same. I might just be too used to traditional pages, but there's something about webtoons format that seems really... content sparse? Like the panels are always too spread out, without enough going on in each of them. Why does there have to be half a page of whitespace between each panel?

Whenever I try to get into one, I always find myself scrolling faster and faster trying to keep the pace reasonable, and at some point my eyes glaze over or my scrolling finger gives out, and I click away. It's frustrating because there are probably some good stories there, but I just can't get past the format to find out.

They’re optimized for phone viewing. Webtoon began life in Korea, where this is the norm and phone reading is the most common method.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mors Rattus posted:

They’re optimized for phone viewing. Webtoon began life in Korea, where this is the norm and phone reading is the most common method.

do koreans also have phone screens the size of a postage stamp? cuz mine can very comfortably display more than one panel at a time

reading an entire page and then clicking to get to the next one sure feels a hell of a lot more optimized than reading the same scene by scrolling through half a dozen entire screens of content to see each panel individually

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I find it works for me as a pacing tool. I dunno, it's more of a stylistic foible of the medium than anything else, I think.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Android Blues posted:

I find it works for me as a pacing tool. I dunno, it's more of a stylistic foible of the medium than anything else, I think.

I can get behind this in theory but I haven't really found any that did it in a way that worked for me personally

It doesn't help that a lot of webtoons seem to fuckin loooooove decompression, which is bad enough in a whole page format

tbf most Korean webtoons do seem better at using the format than Western knockoffs usually are, but I don't read Korean so that's not much help to me

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the empty space can work well for pacing in scenes that call for it, but it gets cargo-culted a bit too much.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I think part of the idea is to support page-down style flipping. So you can be sure each full screen you go down has a complete panel in it, and you don't get it awkwardly cut off in the middle.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
While I'm not super familiar with the space, I feel like I've seen Chinese comics do the thin-width infinite-canvas thing better. There seems to be less tiny panels swimming in white space. Better page usage, feels a lot more condensed. I wish I had a good example, but I haven't really been going out of my way to find them.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I've never really had a problem with webtoon, and I can't tell if it's because I only read Sword Interval on there or if I just don't notice a problem at all.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I've avoided Webtoon because the two comics I wanted to read were behind some weird loving paywall where you get one free one a day and it would cost like $30 to read the whole thing, and it was only 100 chapters or so and long completed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah reading webtoons on my phone is a bunch of swiping to get past unused white space. Reading them on pc is worse. It's kind of a pain in the rear end.

Feels like what happens when people realize they don't have to plan their page composition around physical constraints and so just sort of gave up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I thought we got all that "Infinite Canvas" poo poo out of our systems back in the 00's! :argh:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Speaking of Sword Interval, it’s over now. The last couple bits of story kind of lost me but it was always a treat to read.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
At least the stuff from the 2000s that got a limited print run can be found in a closet a decade from now and revisited in some capacity. So many of these Webtoon strips will be lost to time within a decade because they’re impossible to print and reliant on a specific type of 3rd party website in order to exist. It’s kind of sad really.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

readingatwork posted:

At least the stuff from the 2000s that got a limited print run can be found in a closet a decade from now and revisited in some capacity. So many of these Webtoon strips will be lost to time within a decade because they’re impossible to print and reliant on a specific type of 3rd party website in order to exist. It’s kind of sad really.

You're more likely to find remnants of extinct webcomics from people scraping and saving the files and rehosting them years later than print runs. This isn't any more of a liability than every other webcomic hosting website going down (which many of them have!) So it's not really something you can solely lay at the feet of one comic website.

Speaking of rehosting webtoons, Beware the Villainess is fun: https://mangadex.org/title/47286/beware-of-the-villainess

I'm linking the Mangadex translation because the original comic is only in Korean, as far as I know.

I read through Mage and Demon Queen after people mentioned it here and it's cute, too: https://www.webtoons.com/en/comedy/mage-and-demon-queen/list?title_no=1438

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I am now up to date with Dumbing of Age and ready to announce my tier list. I know you've all been waiting for this and don't worry, the takes are searing hot.

Excellent Tier
Joyce, Walky, Dorothy, Ethan, Jacob. I feel like these are the characters Willis has most in common with? Their voices feel really consistent and their struggles are usually relatable and charming. Joyce is a good protagonist, she has a solid slow burn character arc that's easy to get invested in, and her running gags are consistently funny. Walky metamorphoses really quickly from a 2000s webcomic protagonist transplanted into a more modern strip to a fairly relatable teen burnout struggling with his own issues. Jacob spends a long time as a peripheral character, but once he gets some focus his voice feels well realised and interesting. Ethan is a sweetheart and is consistently characterised as such. Dorothy's relationship with Walky feels real as hell.

Good Tier
Joe, Carla, Mike, Amber, Sal, Dina. Sometimes their characterisation misses, sometimes it hits and they get a good arc where you feel for them. Joe's friendship with Joyce is a fun storyline and really humanises him. Carla is a little weirdo in a good, loveable way. Amber's superhero thing sometimes judders around tonally but mostly works, I think. Mike's final storyline actually hit for me and his unrequited thing for Ethan was poignant and subtle. Sal is fun and gets some good storylines but also sometimes feels a bit flat. Dina is two jokes but they're okay jokes.

Dubious Tier
Danny, Becky, Sarah, Ruth, Billie. Danny being played as the loveable loser who also told his crush he thought it would be good if his coma victim friend was dead, and then still getting played as the loveable loser feels bizarre. Becky is a nightmare whirlwind of saccharine mania who usually fails to feel even remotely real. Sarah is grumpy and misanthropic, but also never does anything, such that her presence in the comic is mostly like reading a version of Garfield who doesn't enjoy food and has few goals or motivations.

Ruth and Billie's relationship is gruelling, and honestly, it's not that their co-dependency feels unrealistic or poorly written, it's more that I can't stand how grim it is to watch them mess each other up for years of comics. Outside of the relationship arc, Billie doesn't feel like she has a lot of character depth and can be pretty grating. Ruth's a little more compelling.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

God the bread thing is stupid.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dr Subterfuge posted:

We know how Su fixated on the indirect cause of her husk transformation to a fault, along with Philomena being a convenient symbolic representation of the sort of class disparity Su has been struggling with and growing angry with her entire life. What's interesting to me is Rin seems a lot less fixated, but part of that is almost certainly that Su's an angry teenager and Rin's a grown woman in her 40s? late 30s? who has had a lot of time to see the mechanisms by which things are crap she can't fix despite having a powerful job. Doesn't make her less angry, but she does seem to have a few more decade's experience burying that anger so she can function.

Anyway she just got confirmation that Fidelia deliberately put Rin on a mission to capture and arrest Fidelia's own goddamn kid while failing to give information about the subject that might have made the situation safer for the people out to capture Lucy because it's information that incriminates Fidelia. My read is that she'd normally have tried to warn Seiji away from getting entangled with that mess, but it's not like he'd have listened to that anyway and this way she can seriously inconvenience someone she's angry at while maybe getting more information. I actually find her relationship with Seiji really interesting, because of all the bad parents in this comic she's one I think genuinely loves her kid and wants the best for him, but that she's also pretty bad at emotionally providing for him with all her own stresses and traumas. Bottling stuff up from the job until she goes on binges, but it's fine because her kid is old enough to feed himself, right? He's got someplace to sleep over at, so she doesn't need to come home EVERY night. Time to josh him about his relationship problems, in a way she means to be light teasing but he's going to take harder because she's bad at judging that stuff!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 1, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still just reading Vattu lol

Updates picked back up with his work on his book done with but it feels like it's wrapping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

PetraCore posted:

We know how Su fixated on the indirect cause of her husk transformation to a fault, along with Philomena being a convenient symbolic representation of the sort of class disparity Su has been struggling with and growing angry with her entire life. What's interesting to me is Rin seems a lot less fixated, but part of that is almost certainly that Su's an angry teenager and Rin's a grown woman in her 40s? late 30s? who has had a lot of time to see the mechanisms by which things are crap she can't fix despite having a powerful job. Doesn't make her less angry, but she does seem to have a few more decade's experience burying that anger so she can function.

I'm really enjoying Secret Husk Rin, it's very clear that an adult husk is rare and extremely dangerous. I'm also excited to find out exactly how much self-control a husk can have, and kiiiiind of hoping she and Seiji can finally bond over crime and needless contrarianism.