Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I assume that turning the Chaos invasion off also means that you don’t get the Turbo Ordertide diplomacy boost and post-invasion diplomacy cratering, for good or for ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

I assume that turning the Chaos invasion off also means that you don’t get the Turbo Ordertide diplomacy boost and post-invasion diplomacy cratering, for good or for ill.
I honestly have to wonder if CA put that much thought into it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
As a resident big rat fan I'll disagree with people claiming weapons teams are overpowered by just listing off thirteen extremely excellent points that you're not allowed to refute because their logic is perfect and unassailable.

1. Their armor is there so they can't be driven off by cheap missile fire (which generally outranges them). Their melee stats are atrocious and their health pool is small so if basically anything starts touching them they start dying and they're slow enough that if anything pressures them all they can do is waddle sadly away.
2. If you make a whole army of them its a ranged doomstack which is always going to overpeform in campaign; upkeepwise they're more expensive than a darkshard w/ shield, deepwood scouts, or lothern guard w/ shield stack but less expensive than an army of just sisters of avelorn or waywatchers.
3. Basically anyone with some experience can win legendary campaigns with the above ranged doomstacks. Difficulty doesn't make AI armies any less vulnerable to just being shot to death so this can skew peoples perceptions on the value of ranged units.
4. The AI is pretty terrible at combatting ranged heavy forces; it is a lot harder to get away with bringing too many ranged units vs humans unless you're running a kite build or are vampire coast.
5. Randomness-as-balance is bad and I'm glad they took that out of the game.
6. Tabletop balance was generally bad and I don't know why people think otherwise.
7. No seriously the AI is bloody awful at fighting ranged armies of any stripe. I defeated high tier armies with peasant archers in the open field; its comical and sad and not a good way to get an actual view of unit power.
8. The other actual issue is that doomstacks are boring and the game mechanics tend to enable them with the supply lines system, reinforcements being a clunky p.o.s. system that hasn't changed since Rome 1 (or even earlier), and lightning strike existing.
9. Nobody complains about dwarf weapon teams which are even harder to kill, this is anti-rat bias and I'm not going to put up with this poo poo.
10. Doom-flayers aren't strictly better rat ogres. Rat ogres are cycle chargers and are pretty much the skaven's only option for stopping high mass units from just walking into the backline (maybe infantry changes will fix that). Flayers cost 400 more for less models, no fear/frenzy, and less health but much more armor and are better at fighting non-AP infantry and not dying to ranged but suffer vs large things.
11. The fact Ikit upgrades all the above makes them seem a lot stronger and this is because Ikit is bullshit and this is a known attribute.
12. Honestly I've never really agreed with the consensus that early game units become "useless" late game. Even with supply lines, I generally keep using those guys in all my games because they're cost effective and mean that I can keep around multiple armies to attack multiple fronts or prevent my settlements from getting raided or I can just use the money to build things like walls in every single bit of territory I own. A full stack of ratling guns is going to be strong but there are at least some strategic trade offs there that I think fail to be appreciated at times. Its perfectly possible to build skaven armies that include cheap chaff to guard a small cadre of weapons teams and other assets; that's what I generally do all the time.

e: oh and tbh in terms of skaven favoritism, this is actually good because you should play rats, all the time, because theyre the best, thank you.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 23, 2020

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
In my dreams, the replacement for supply lines is a chain of buildings that cost very high maintenance and give income, and another high tier chain that lowers that maintenance cost but can only go in major cities, combined with a higher base income and a smaller income for all other buildings. So come late game you're encouraged to replace your income buildings with the new chain, which while allowing you to field enough armies to defend your territory, makes you much more vulnerable to collapsing utterly if you start losing any vital territory.

Or maybe just bring back corruption and encourage vassalizing territory like in 3K.

Really I think just being bigger in these sorts of games shouldn't translate to automatically just being more powerful. Yes, historically big things beat up little things, but big things have expanding costs related to bureaucracy and how insanely difficult it is to maintain logistics chains for larger armies over wider territories, or even just coordinating all your territories without having landlords steal away your tax base. A lot of those more irritating issues are not put in because, well, they're irritating, but the result is just that you get snowballing effects that things like Supply Lines doesn't really address in a sound way but does have a lot of really stupid knock-on effects.

e: counter doom stacks by having upkeep be exponential

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 23, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd love if they did away with building slots in warhammer 3, they often feel too limiting and by the time you built all the nearly mandatory optimal gold generating buildings + port slot and unique buildings eating up space, you don't really have much room left for anything to add some variance.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd love if they did away with building slots in warhammer 3, they often feel too limiting and by the time you built all the nearly mandatory optimal gold generating buildings + port slot and unique buildings eating up space, you don't really have much room left for anything to add some variance.

I liked them in Shogun 2 and in Attila. Both of these had more ability to specialize provinces or have them play more specific roles in your overall economy. Like in Shogun 2, you could take a province in the mid game which was just making money and turn it into a bullshit unit producer which would both change your battle composition and make your forces feel more specialized, but also presented a vulnerability since these provinces only were worth their opportunity cost past a certain income/size point. Attila I recall being able to take provinces and gear them around taking advantage of the resources produced by other provinces, which had a similar sort of characteristic where now I had a kingdom that really couldn't spare to lose any territory since they were all more or less tied together. It was really the only TW game where I found the provinces themselves sort of memorable as "characters", in their own way.

In Warhammer tho? You just stamp out the same buildings in most every place. It's sort of the problem where they have a different building set for each race so they can't spare the design time to make them have really any depth to them. The only thing that makes any province feel different is building slots and special buildings (which are nice, tbf). You don't really have any place that you look at and go "this is my economic heartland, this is specialized to recruit a specific unit, and this supports the functionality of the other two" or poo poo like that, you really just have "military recruitment place" and "make me money place". It adds to an issue where I feel that late game wars are just grinds since carving out chunks of a faction's territory doesn't really do much but lower their income by the same amount regardless of what you've taken, and it ends up feeling kind of silly in a sense that there's really no functional difference between having your cities in a jungle vs having them in the Empire as long as the habitability is green for both of them.

If they took out building slots I'd be just fine with them going a route of really just like, hardcoding the map, so to speak. Like, make Altdorf appreciably different because it has some special quality to it that's baked in instead of it just having extra building slots, and have it be marked as Imperial Human culture or some poo poo so its more important to that group. Nuln meanwhile just has a baked-in foundry "building" that lets it recruit better cannons, poo poo like that. Then give you sliders to fiddle with and call it a day.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My dream situation for supply lines or whatever is having every faction have a TK style method of getting new lords, making them immortal but also difficult to get a new one, every faction starts with 2 and you can upgrade/swap one to a Legendary Lord if you meet the prereqs.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

The complaint is that any DLC featuring Skaven feels like a Skaven DLC with some other bits stuck on as an afterthought, which is why I was mentioning that Nakai feels really different from baseline lizardmen, probably even more different than Ikit does from other Skaven, but it's not as pure overpowered stuff as Nakai gets, so it feels more like a DLC for Ikit, and also Nakai is in there I guess. And it feels like Ikit got more work (the weapon teams are very different from other Skaven units) while lizardmen got better kroxigors and a giant late game centerpiece unit, so they don't change a lot.

E: keep the ranged change for all infantry, remove it for artillery, and make WE arrows phase through trees forever.

the Ikit DLC's other half is not Nakai. It's tehenhauin who is a real missed opportunity. He could have enabled true skink-only armies but instead got a really lame mechanic instead

fe: wow I should have refreshed but I am still disappointed that tehenauin wasn't skink skarsnik

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

yikes! posted:

the Ikit DLC's other half is not Nakai. It's tehenhauin who is a real missed opportunity. He could have enabled true skink-only armies but instead got a really lame mechanic instead

fe: wow I should have refreshed but I am still disappointed that tehenauin wasn't skink skarsnik

Yeah I think that lines up with what people said about how skaven dlc feels better just because they're all set around making you want to use different armies and combat styles. Skarsnik is also considered a really good dlc, along with Belegar (until he gets K8P and becomes Yet Another Dwarf Lord), and they likewise encourage you to set up different armies than other factions run with or otherwise have to contend with different concerns than you usually do. These games, past having big shooty bright lights blowing up people and poo poo, is about making decisions and a new lord that doesn't really make you do any different decisions for the major feature of the game is one that's going to feel gimmicky rather than fleshed out.

That also reminds me that I was thinking a fun mod would be to actually go thru all the minor factions and just remove bits and pieces of their roster and maybe give them an oddball unit from a separate force in order to give them a stronger sense of individual character.

e: vvv It'd honestly be nice if the game had some kind of mechanical thing that encouraged bringing smaller armies, in general. A very realistic one that could probably work out is just saying that the more units you add, the less movement range you have. Large armies are slow and expensive to move around which is why irl people did bizarre things like "march divided", which in turns creates its own difficulties and vulnerable/exploitable elements.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 23, 2020

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
What if heroes could lead armies (detachments?) with no supply lines penalty, but limited to ten units and the availability of heroes?

Could use one to put down rebellions or fight off small threats, freeing up your main army stack, at all least in the early game

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Customizing garrisons would go a long way.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

KazigluBey posted:

Empire went from being what it was at Game 1's launch to the place it is right now. The pulled together Norsca pretty much out of thin air. They can make any of the boring factions/LLs better if they applied themselves to the problem, the issue here is if they care to or if it makes sense financially, not "only X faction can be cool, conceptually".

As if they couldn't do something with the Elves' penchant for trade, or interactions/incentives to interact with the colonies, or something to do with the fact that they're one of the prime magic factions in the setting, or any other number of things. Hell, the angle CA went for was "diplomancy" and a focus on the island itself, you telling me they couldn't get a system similar to the Elector Count /Territory thing the Empire got but themed around Ulthuan being in Elven hands? They dipped their toes in that when they added Alarielle's whole "purity of Ulthuan" shtick.

Seriously this excuse of "they can't do ANYTHING with this faction, that's just a fact" is so drat weak in a fantasy setting.

idk I just mean none of that stuff is ever gonna be as pizzazz-y as the stuff the skaven have. imrik and eltharion get cool mechanics, its not like theyre half-assed characters, especially compared to the first 3 skaven lords.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'd love it if I could customize garrison forces and customize DEFENSES. Let me spend gold on cool defenses like special walls, special defensive weaponry, moats, magic etc.

In general they really need to spruce up the sieges and city defenses for game 3. They should be way more fun than they are now. As it is I mostly go "ugh, do I have to" whenever I gotta siege something or defend something. It should be "gently caress yes I finally get to try out my tier 3 spike traps on this defense :allears:"

Skaven should definitely get a lot of self destructive defensive traps during sieges

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Shogun 2 had units that brought placeable barricades. We haven't seen anything similar, but a "trap builder" guy that let you set up temporary defenses seems perfectly reasonable. The only thing I like about garrison forces now, is that they force you to use a suboptimal army, but at most points in the game, they are utterly helpless.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Have any of the Total War games done sieges well, out of interest? I haven't played a bunch of them.

I agree they need a pretty big rework though. For many factions the best move you can make is to not even try to defend the walls, which feels very gamey and odd.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I liked Shogun 2 / Fall of the Samurai sieges well enough. Rome 2 was alright as well. I think just not having to fight on walls or thru gaps in walls all the time is kind of helpful in keeping battles from feeling so constrained. Warhammer sieges are... pretty bad, having done them to death. Its partially the setup being so samey, but also that the AI will just stand on the walls and let you shoot and blast them to death, and if you choose to just engage on the walls, you just... do that and watch. until one side wins eventually. Medieval 2 was pretty lousy in that regard as well; by the time you got past the walls the battle was already pretty much over and winning at one location doesn't really let you do things like run and attack the backline of the units defending the other part of the wall like you could in Shogun 2.

What little I played of Troy was alright as well but I didn't play enough to have a concise opinion on it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I think at least part of it is the ranged dominance problem in the game more generally. Guns and artillery are already plenty strong in an open-field battle. In a situation where you can funnel the enemy into chokepoints they get even stronger.

The AI doesn't help. Entire melee units will happily stand around and form an orderly queue to try to attack lords and heroes, even while the cannon a hundred yards away is blasting huge bloody chunks out of them. Maybe just tweaking that behaviour would be enough to help? You could make the AI less willing to send whole units to beat on your 85MD Lord in a siege, in favour of just getting bodies into the town square, or going after ranged units or whatever.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 23, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had a defensive siege battle as Skryre over the weekend where my Tier 3 minor settlement (garrison only) was attacked by a full Border Princes stack.
It was genuinely fun, holding off decent units with a bunch of Clanrats and Night Runners, while I tried to choose the absolute best time to send my Rat Ogres in.

It's likely that the fun came from how close the fight was (we lost ~70% of rats, RIP), rather than how well designed sieges are generally. I also took Tilea (full garrison plus full stack reinforcing) with a single Ikit stack, and that was a pretty miserable experience.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 23, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not to nitpick but Nakai came in the DLC with Markus Wulfhart. If we talk about Prophet and Warlock its Tehenhauin we should compare Ikit to. Which, Skink Moses is cool but Ikit and Skaven in general got way more stuff that is way more interesting compared to the stuff that Lizardmen got. That DLC would have been a great way to add something unique to a unit/set of units or add something to all of Lizardmen rather than Tehenhauin's unique campaign mechanic.

gently caress. Yeah, you're right,not sure what j was thinking. Lizardmen did get some nice air units out of the deal and I actually really like Tehenhuain's campaign since it is different (mostly harder), but that comparison does make Ikit look a lot better since tehenhauain mostly just became a challenge run.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 23, 2020

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

'imrik's noble insult assembler'

Are you kidding me this is great

Assemble insults against other nations, customisable for maximum impact to their personality.

Basic level insults generate a bit of influence.
Sicknasty insults give loads of influence, and force a nation not at war with you (if used on them) to declare war, eating all the diplo penalties from treaties and the like.

Plus all their enemies like you more.

Beating legendary lords unlocks new insults alongside their trait, and the insults used decide the buff your army gets from your sick burns.

Add flyting events where doing real well with your large collection of insults (and insult generated influence) lets you confederate another high elf faction.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Looking at all this, it seems likely that if the latest Skaven mechanic was being able to use map-wide tunnels to secure cities and surrounding undercities to feed a hungry Skavenblight, people would be going mad about how it's game-breaking favouritism. Because those are WE mechanics though, they'll probably say the same thing about monster juice instead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They already said they are 100% working on siege changes in warhammer 3, but it remains to be seen what those changes are and if they actually improve it or not.

What I'd do is just remove the entire concept of the towers and walls as they are, have the siege battle start after the walls and gate have been busted open as eye candy in the background and have the attackers deploy in a small open area and the defenders just have a good defensive position with multiple chokes and streets and plaza's, maybe defenders have a couple towers on the flanks of the main capture point that can be disabled by capturing them first, maybe gates you can take the time to bust down to reach the main capture point in the center of the map.

You'd lose out on the unique siege towers and rams each faction has a different model for, but it's not like anyone ever stopped to build them instead of just using a siege attacker unit or just building a ram to start the siege and then abandoning it to bust down the door faster with infantry.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk I just mean none of that stuff is ever gonna be as pizzazz-y as the stuff the skaven have.
:psyduck:
Why? Again, fluff comes after mechanics. Throt's gimmick, applied to any of the other factions you could apply it to, would still be fundamentally the same. The layer of fluff on top is just cosmetic.

"X faction can't get cool stuff, they're boring" is 100% something I disagree with wholeheartedly. This is a fantasy game, CA have near total freedom to bring any mechanic they want to life, and "A faction is boring because their lore is boring" is an incredibly weak excuse.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Literally the new throt monster lab mechanics could have just been a wood elf mechanic and people would have been fine with it. Turn it into fertilizer mechanic, gained by murdering people. Let fertilizer be used in a spirit garden to add tree spirit additions to units. Every so often if your unit becomes more tree than elf, you have to make fertilizer out of your own units.

And you can also just use fertilizer to make treekin units, same with how throt can use DNA to make ogres and other monsters.

Would it be as wacky and crazy as doing mad science? Maybe not. But the mechanical system could be wholesale ported and fit the faction just fine.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think one thing that could sort out some of the siege stuff is that, on starting the siege, the defender gets a chance to sally out instantly, and the ai will do so if you have a bunch of artillery and they have a lot of cav and stuff like that.

the second bit would be just having the ai pro actively withdraw from walls if the fight isn't going to work out in their favor, or to not be stupid and keep their best units sitting back at the control point so they can just route off due to army losses at the end.

sieges are just so static compared to earlier games, really. there's not really any give and take. Maybe if you siege a bit you get events that let you attack it in a different way. Or maybe it's just there's no space to maneuver for either side due to lethal towers, so you just have to grind it out at one point. I never felt like shogun 2 seiges ever really dragged on like wh2 ones do. There's a lack of sense of the danger of breakthru at a point vs trying to scramble your defense at multiple places. Just grind grind grind defenders all died or didn't. And that's not getting into that a lot of times the optimal play is to be tedious as gently caress as attacker or you suffer huge casualties.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tirranek posted:

Looking at all this, it seems likely that if the latest Skaven mechanic was being able to use map-wide tunnels to secure cities and surrounding undercities to feed a hungry Skavenblight, people would be going mad about how it's game-breaking favouritism. Because those are WE mechanics though, they'll probably say the same thing about monster juice instead.

Except that's not remotely accurate. If the two factions got the same mechanic with a different skin, it would be rad. Instead it's "WE get a limited map port to very specific areas" vs "Hugely flavorful Rat Juice Laboratory that will also likely make units awesome and fun in a variety of ways", and if you can't see that...I don't know what to tell you. No faction has the number of fun and awesome mechanics Skaven do. Grom's Cauldron is the only thing that comes close to the Workshop or Secret Missions or Frankenlab. Instead, they get such classics as "Shouty Demon", "Dungeon of Questionable Use", and "Alternate Rat-Corpse Powered Tech Tree, I Guess".

Devorum fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 23, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

KazigluBey posted:

:psyduck:
Why? Again, fluff comes after mechanics. Throt's gimmick, applied to any of the other factions you could apply it to, would still be fundamentally the same. The layer of fluff on top is just cosmetic.

"X faction can't get cool stuff, they're boring" is 100% something I disagree with wholeheartedly. This is a fantasy game, CA have near total freedom to bring any mechanic they want to life, and "A faction is boring because their lore is boring" is an incredibly weak excuse.

at least one of the wood elf factions is getting a forge of daith thing. durthu is getting a marks of chaos /scrap upgrade thing. drycha has a whole adversarial genocide system. in this dlc the elves are finally getting a ton of cool poo poo. they even get zoats!

you're completely right that fluff and mechanics are separate, but i feel like ever since ikit was so great there's been a general idea that skaven are the favourite, and so whatever they get people are gonna percieve it as special attention from CA.

like you could have given skaven imrik's dragon hunts and reskinned it as clan moulder capturing new monster freaks, and if you had people would have been like 'why do skaven get these sick monsters while the elves only get this weird and dubiously useful noble house diplomatic contracts system'.

i've been skaven guy from the start and to begin with the only unique systems they had was food (and loyalty which they shared with dark elves). their starting lords really didn't do anything special, and to this day still don't really do anything special. tretch is pretty much the worst lord in the game in ability terms. then eventually they got ikit, who is great, and the undercity system ported over from the vampire coast. high elves have always been solid but unexciting, and what makes a lot of the skaven systems exciting is their theme more than their mechanics.

where high elves suffer is that a lot of their themes are diplomacy and trade, two systems which are hugely underdeveloped in total war warhammer. they should have used the high elf dlc to revamp those systems. maybe they're saving it for TWW3 and we'll see high elf improvements the same way we saw vampire counts and empire improvements in tww2.

Theswarms posted:

Are you kidding me this is great

Assemble insults against other nations, customisable for maximum impact to their personality.

Basic level insults generate a bit of influence.
Sicknasty insults give loads of influence, and force a nation not at war with you (if used on them) to declare war, eating all the diplo penalties from treaties and the like.

Plus all their enemies like you more.

Beating legendary lords unlocks new insults alongside their trait, and the insults used decide the buff your army gets from your sick burns.

Add flyting events where doing real well with your large collection of insults (and insult generated influence) lets you confederate another high elf faction.

also yeah i realised it was a fun idea as i was writing it and so it kinda undermines my point but it was too fun to delete. it could be like grom's cauldron, or like snikch's contracts, or a combo of both. you put together an insult based on an enemy's insecurities, and the more brutal it is the stronger the modifiers are. i'm picturing like a madlibs setup with drop down menus, and as you get better at insults you get more modifiers to put on.

like you start out calling someone a 'boorish oaf' and you move up to calling them a 'half-bearded boarish oaf who reeks of the rats he beds'

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 23, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just feel sad that the Dwarves don't get any love.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

they should have had a tie-in thing with vermintide for the dwarves. vermintide just released a dwarf engineer class for Bardin, and it would have been a great time to add proper engineers and an engineer hero to the dwarves.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
dwarfs at least have gotten some stuff thrown their way in past updates. if there are real true beastmen fans somehow then i feel bad for their suffering

i don't feel bad for chaos fans tho. like a better faction nerds!!!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

dwarfs at least have gotten some stuff thrown their way in past updates. if there are real true beastmen fans somehow then i feel bad for their suffering

I think to be a true beastman fan you've got to enjoy being the jobbers, since it's been their thing for so long.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I think to be a true beastman fan you've got to enjoy being the jobbers, since it's been their thing for so long.

this is being added to my grand "beastmen are anarcho-primitivists" theory

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think they must be the least played faction, y'know?

But it's more that the Dwarves get "build a fancy new sword of +1" and that's it.

That and I really hate how much money it takes to get things up and running in games.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Devorum posted:

Except that's not remotely accurate. If the two factions got the same mechanic with a different skin, it would be rad.

Instead it's "WE get a limited map port to very specific areas" vs "Hugely flavorful Rat Juice Laboratory that will also likely make units awesome and fun in a variety of ways", and if you can't see that...I don't know what to tell you.

strictly speaking the Skaven equivalent to World-Roots is the Undercities mechanic. the Moulder lab then is in addition to Undercities/food, exclusive to Throt. for comparison Durthu's exclusive is, uh, scrap upgrades for 3 units; Orion gets a temporary Offices buff; Sisters get a Forge and some events

to be fair it's maybe partly an issue of CA's apparent rules for lord DLC: at least one WH2 faction, and one faction is similar to vanilla while the other has more complicated subsystems... Skaven as a WH2 race with defined gimmick subfactions and a wide roster slot neatly into those rules

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Actually yeah I think the WE teleport system should come back for at least dwarves and probably all underway races and remove the underway map stance. And WEs should get something different as neat as a campaign mechanic it might feel. The underway felt really half-baked to me, and keeping it to one "junction" per move would mean that a lot of map movement changes drastically. The badlands not getting many hubs mean you're running around there while meanwhile the main mode of mountain movement becomes that teleport.

Might make the badlands less of a shitshow. On the other hand, I bet the AI would have no idea how to handle it.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 23, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK6tQm03Vtw

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

"The Sisters are the first LL to be represented by two characters."

*sad Skarsnik & Gobbla sounds*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Shogun 2 had units that brought placeable barricades. We haven't seen anything similar, but a "trap builder" guy that let you set up temporary defenses seems perfectly reasonable. The only thing I like about garrison forces now, is that they force you to use a suboptimal army, but at most points in the game, they are utterly helpless.

Man I loved building defenses in that game. I love defending for some reason.

Garrisons provide a valuable service of just giving you a bunch of bodies. I hope they don’t get too complex, it’s hard enough making use of a great cannon, for example. Just a bunch of basic AP/non-AP melee infantry, some basic AP/non-AP ranged infantry, maybe a caster with 2 spells.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

I just feel sad that the Dwarves don't get any love.
Dwarfs are a good example. There are a bunch of unused lore hooks you could hang new units or mechanics or lords from.

- It's weird that Dwarfs still don't have a rune-upgrade mechanic given that it's one of their defining TT features. If we're lucky they'll get Thorek Ironbrow as a lord at some point and runes can finally be done properly. (Alternatively, the lazy way to do it would just be a reskin of the Scrap mechanic, or to implement a bunch of unique Dwarf-only unit banners).

- Rune Golems. Dwarfs could use some monstrous infantry and you might even be able to reuse the Rogue Idol model to do it.

- Malakai Makaisson and his helicarrier-style doom zeppelin. I bet you could turn that into a fun campaign mechanic.

- Kraka Drak

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ravenfood posted:

Actually yeah I think the WE teleport system should come back for at least dwarves and probably all underway races and remove the underway map stance. And WEs should get something different as neat as a campaign mechanic it might feel. The underway felt really half-baked to me, and keeping it to one "junction" per move would mean that a lot of map movement changes drastically. The badlands not getting many hubs mean you're running around there while meanwhile the main mode of mountain movement becomes that teleport.

Might make the badlands less of a shitshow. On the other hand, I bet the AI would have no idea how to handle it.
The dream version of this is that the Underway becomes like hyperspace lanes in Stellaris but that would be a lot of work to implement, so it probably won't happen :(