Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Zat posted:

Nah you do in fact permanently keep your redeemed Xbox 360 Games with Gold, possibly OG Xbox BC games too, regardless of what your physical console is. There has been confusion about this in the past, but I can personally attest that this is the case.
OK, maybe i'll buy somone's fire sale Xbone or something xmas season if people start shedding them cheap.

Another question, i guess this is sorta 360 related too. I have my original 360 (well the 3rd one, first two RRoD), but a Jasper so ive had it for a long time. A year or so ago I saw a smoking deal on one of the newer 360's with a handful of games for like $50 so i snagged it.

Can I DRM transfer any games that were 'bought' on that craigslist console to my account? I thought back in the day the 360 DRM worked tied to the console somewhat. Perhaps its all tied to their xbox account? I fired it up after i bought it and it seemed to still be signed in as him, but I tossed it in a box. May fire up again and re-check.

falz fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zat posted:

Just to avoid any confusion, the 1:1 conversion only happens if you don't have an active Ultimate sub at the moment. You first redeem your Gold code(s) and then subscribe to Ultimate (probably have to pay the full price for a single month) to convert them into Ultimate.

However, when your Ultimate sub is still active, the conversion rate for 12-month Gold codes is 3:1.

Ooooh. So that's why I read some folk were letting their Ultimate sub expire first before doing the XBL Gold conversion. Ok. That makes sense.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

falz posted:

Can I DRM transfer any games that were 'bought' on that craigslist console to my account? I thought back in the day the 360 DRM worked tied to the console somewhat. Perhaps its all tied to their xbox account? I fired it up after i bought it and it seemed to still be signed in as him, but I tossed it in a box. May fire up again and re-check.

It's all tied to the account, no luck there.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Ok, I plugged in a 360, it has no games on it so i don't care and I guess there was noting to transfer. I logged in to my account to get *my* games and holy poo poo what a shitshow. I also bought a 48hr gold thing for $1 on ebay to get some stuff on here quick.

* Although I redeemed that 48hr code, I cant redeem this months game with gold (I don't really care, but that seems wrong?)

* I can't find anywhere that just lists my games I bought or simply redeemed previously. I have to randomly search for things I remember.

* If i search online for a few games I had (Braid, Limbo), I can download them, which I suppose is good.

* Strangely though, when I DO find a game to download, the 'active download' list shows 10 or so other games 'assigned to another console' that I can re-download, but this is a very incomplete list. These generally show up as 'drm to another console' or something, which is normal.

* HOWEVER, some others I bought but never got around to playing (Axiom Verge) doesn't show up on the 360 store on the console, and online it wants me to re-buy it. I have the receipt from when I bought it, I can click on it and it shows I own it. Do they just de-list games from 360 marketplace or something?

ugh DRM sucks

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Anyone playing Yakuza Like a Dragon and notice the graphics get all fucky on high rez mode? Mostly while turning the camera fast.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

falz posted:

Ok, I plugged in a 360, it has no games on it so i don't care and I guess there was noting to transfer. I logged in to my account to get *my* games and holy poo poo what a shitshow. I also bought a 48hr gold thing for $1 on ebay to get some stuff on here quick.

* Although I redeemed that 48hr code, I cant redeem this months game with gold (I don't really care, but that seems wrong?)

* I can't find anywhere that just lists my games I bought or simply redeemed previously. I have to randomly search for things I remember.

* If i search online for a few games I had (Braid, Limbo), I can download them, which I suppose is good.

* Strangely though, when I DO find a game to download, the 'active download' list shows 10 or so other games 'assigned to another console' that I can re-download, but this is a very incomplete list. These generally show up as 'drm to another console' or something, which is normal.

* HOWEVER, some others I bought but never got around to playing (Axiom Verge) doesn't show up on the 360 store on the console, and online it wants me to re-buy it. I have the receipt from when I bought it, I can click on it and it shows I own it. Do they just de-list games from 360 marketplace or something?

ugh DRM sucks

The 48 hour codes don't work for GwG, you have to give them actual money for a subscription for that. The 360 does indeed lack a "your purchases" screen, which is very irritating. The xbone has a "ready to install" page that basically performs that function.

There are games that are delisted from the the 360 store, like all online content stores, but you should be able to redownload the game regardless. In Axiom Verge's case, I don't think that game ever came out on Xbox360.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

You're right, my memory is bad. I bought it on the Xbone, which I used to have. So all is safe there for whenever I get something newer than a 360 again.

Since there's no way to find your games list on a website, I guess I expected that on the 360. Glad to hear it's on the xbone, but that's still just basic stuff that someone could fix and show on a website with a basic sql query ffs.

Also lulz at 360 'search' on screen keyboard is just a big single row of letters. I hope to god the Xbone isnt this way.

Blades interface was literally 10x better.

Ill stop ranting now, sorry for the derail, commence current-gen speak.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

falz posted:

Also lulz at 360 'search' on screen keyboard is just a big single row of letters. I hope to god the Xbone isnt this way.

Near the end of the 360s life I was downloading a bunch of stuff and realized my fastest way to find things was to use the fuckin kinect voice bing search lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

falz posted:

You're right, my memory is bad. I bought it on the Xbone, which I used to have. So all is safe there for whenever I get something newer than a 360 again.

Since there's no way to find your games list on a website, I guess I expected that on the 360. Glad to hear it's on the xbone, but that's still just basic stuff that someone could fix and show on a website with a basic sql query ffs.

Blades interface was literally 10x better.

Ill stop ranting now, sorry for the derail, commence current-gen speak.

Yeah it's all pretty trash, but you're looking at a 15 year old console whose original concept of "digital games" was some 50-meg Frogger port. You couldn't even buy digital versions of retail games until way later, the 360 store system is probably a total nightmare under the hood.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

otter posted:

I don’t really get how the PlayStation is more popular than the Xbox.
I’ve been helping my brother and his daughter level their characters in fortnite and it’s just grueling using the PlayStation controller and the interface pisses me off. I think the ps3 was overall better than the PS4 due to backwards compatibility etc. I was really upset after I got my PS4 that I couldn’t play my PS3 games on it. Had to re-buy toe jam and earl on Xbox and I can play it from my 360, xbo, and xsx.

Most people are at least fine with the Dualshock 4 if they don't outright prefer it, and we're the only weird people who spend any real time in the OS or care significantly about playing games released before 2014. Most of the world still just sticks a disc/cart in and plays and that's largely the extent of how they do OS things. PlayStation has the games as well as the international presence (e.g. a lot of games will only get localized in Chinese, Korean, Japanese and some other languages like I think Arabic on PlayStation).

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah it's all pretty trash, but you're looking at a 15 year old console whose original concept of "digital games" was some 50-meg Frogger port. You couldn't even buy digital versions of retail games until way later, the 360 store system is probably a total nightmare under the hood.

They didn't have any "same day on disc and digital" games until well after the Xbox One was out. They also never discounted digital games and acted like they were doing the customer a favor in offering choice in this way.

But yeah, also remember the 360 largely predates digital games as a major concept. When the 360 was released the only games on Steam were Half-Life 1 and 2 and Counter-Strike, the notion that people would be buying major games in ways other than a disc from a retail store was a completely alien concept.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 23, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

most people's impressions of the last generation had less to do with mistakenly thinking ps4 had bc and more to do with xbox attempting to drill its brand to the center of the earth for the first couple years

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sony very smartly had answers prepared for questions like "what does your console do"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zat posted:

Nah you do in fact permanently keep your redeemed Xbox 360 Games with Gold, possibly OG Xbox BC games too, regardless of what your physical console is. There has been confusion about this in the past, but I can personally attest that this is the case.

That’s neat as I know I tried to load some cheapy baseball game for the bone that I redeemed with Gold ages ago back a few months back when I didn’t have an active sub, and it wouldn’t play anymore. Didn’t realize that changed depending on which console the game belonged to.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

most people's impressions of the last generation had less to do with mistakenly thinking ps4 had bc and more to do with xbox attempting to drill its brand to the center of the earth for the first couple years

There hasnt been a must play xbox game in like a decade either.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

drat, the Series S might be a pretty good buy for the emulation possibilities alone.

Some pretty impressive stuff in this video, especially the GameCube emulation, though there's obvious incompatibility issues too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAjhjp8dnI

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lysandus posted:

Anyone playing Yakuza Like a Dragon and notice the graphics get all fucky on high rez mode? Mostly while turning the camera fast.

The drop to 30 FPS was too brutal I couldn't cope

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Zat posted:

drat, the Series S might be a pretty good buy for the emulation possibilities alone.

Some pretty impressive stuff in this video, especially the GameCube emulation, though there's obvious incompatibility issues too:

I was hyped for this thing before, but now I'm waiting for Amazon to ship my Series X like I'm a kid waiting for Christmas to come. I wonder if features like quick resume work in dev mode?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zat posted:

Was just about to come here to post about this. :stare: This is incredibly cool.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Can someone tell me, if I get a physical disc version of a game and installed it on my xbox one x along with its free and paid dlcs, will the dlcs carry over to xbox series x when utilizing the smart delivery feature?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Shrinkage posted:

Can someone tell me, if I get a physical disc version of a game and installed it on my xbox one x along with its free and paid dlcs, will the dlcs carry over to xbox series x when utilizing the smart delivery feature?

Yes, but this isn't a Smart Delivery feature. Smart Delivery means you're playing the best version possible on your hardware. Your DLC is associated with your account, so that will work across Xbox consoles with that game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Being relatively new to the whole Xbox thing, I think my plan right now is to just stick with my One S since I can't justify buying a new console right now. I've had my One S for less than 2 years anyways, and have only recently really started to actually play games on it lol. I'll just wait for the inevitable system revisions. I wonder what the naming scheme for those will be :haw:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zat posted:

I've been following this for the last few weeks. Hope it blows up and makes people really start working on the UWP version of Retroarch. Plex has spoiled me with how sleek and simple it is. I need that experience but with my old games.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

teagone posted:

Being relatively new to the whole Xbox thing, I think my plan right now is to just stick with my One S since I can't justify buying a new console right now. I've had my One S for less than 2 years anyways, and have only recently really started to actually play games on it lol. I'll just wait for the inevitable system revisions. I wonder what the naming scheme for those will be :haw:

Series U to finish the SUX trifecta.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Xbox: Edition

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i'm putting my money that MS goes the way of how every other popular gaming company handles their remasters or whatever and just decides to call their next console The Xbox.

also I had to go to the mall to pick something up for a family member this weekend and the Microsoft store was completely empty. that's kind of a bummer. I liked that store the last time I was there probably over a year ago

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sbos

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
They’ll name the third Xbox Series the Xbox Series One.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kevyn posted:

They’ll name the third Xbox Series the Xbox Series One.

I'm convinced that they noticed that people called the Xbox 360 "the 360" and picked a name that they hoped would lead to people calling the xbone "the one." It wouldn't surprise me at all if this time around they were hoping people would call it "xbox sex." It also wouldn't surprise me if it's just a nonsense name.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So unless I heard MVG incorrectly, the UWP Dev mode existed on the Xbox One consoles too... how come there’s a much bigger hype around it now? Was the system just not able to perform well enough for the cores that people care about?

Think this might be a good excuse to sell my Pandora’s Box and just get a one player arcade stick.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

So unless I heard MVG incorrectly, the UWP Dev mode existed on the Xbox One consoles too... how come there’s a much bigger hype around it now? Was the system just not able to perform well enough for the cores that people care about?

Think this might be a good excuse to sell my Pandora’s Box and just get a one player arcade stick.

In a world where there are a bazillion ARM boxes that can run emulators fine, why really bother?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think so, yeah. I'd imagine switching to the developer mode and back would also be much more bothersome with the old, slow hard drives. It always requires a reboot.

Anyway there's always the $20 barrier of entry too which limits interest unless it's really good and convenient. On a Series X/S it seems to be getting there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was supposedly no apps for it either, but with RetroArch having a UWP version of their app, and it working really nicely on Series S | X, a lot of people are hyped about it now. And like MVG pointed out, if we can get PSX, and PS2 support on there as well, this is going to be an exciting time for the Xbox.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The complete unpopularity or the Xbox One didn't help that either. Series S/X is now a console someone would actually want so I imagine it being used to legally and easily boot ROMs would be more widespread. Possibly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LoL if xbonesex becomes the thing people play PS2 games on

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

404notfound posted:

Game Pass does have the drawback of games eventually leaving (apparently I missed the boat on RDR2), but I'll take it if it means a wide variety of games to play instead of just two per month.

Some games stick around longer than others, RDR2 was 4 months, I think. Meanwhile:

Ace Combat 7 - 8 months
Dead Cells - 13 months
Mortal Kombat X - 11 months
Monster Hunter: World - 19 months

Zat posted:

This is true but there was weirdly one instance of an original Xbox game being available with Gold that doesn't show up as owned in my library: Armed and Dangerous. Everything else for OG Xbox or 360 that I've ever claimed shows as owned.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 24, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So what Im hearing is if I want to use my discs to play PS2 games, I should buy another xbox series X

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I got one of the last ps2s in the US I'm pretty sure - my future wife for it for me for my birthday in June of 2013, new in box from Target - and I'd probably use it more if the controller was wireless and I didn't have to switch to component

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Barudak posted:

So what Im hearing is if I want to use my discs to play PS2 games, I should buy another xbox series X

Maybe we can just burn them and throw them on an external drive like pirated games on the OG Xbox.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

Maybe we can just burn them and throw them on an external drive like pirated games on the OG Xbox.

Yeah you can run the Roms off an external drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's details on how UWP apps can access hardware. This is from 2017 and only mentions Xbox One; I can't find any details for the other consoles.

Microsoft posted:

CPU

Apps: share of 2-4 CPU cores depending on the number of apps and games running on the system.

GPU

Apps: share of 45% of the GPU depending on the number of apps and games running on the system.

DirectX support

Apps: DirectX 11 Feature Level 10.