Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh yeah i just googled and it's too complicated for me to repeat but yes. you can still spread it via blood hence you get treated like a dirty leper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
freebooter i apologise but i think i gotta bail on this discussion, i think if we were to keep at it we'd eventually find a happy middle ground, but i cant muster the energy for long posts at the moment. youre right that masks are not a panacea and that australia and europe have vastly different situations. but i think if youre going from contact tracing to broader lockdowns without considering masks then theres probably something that doesnt add up, and i also disagree with the emphasis people are putting on the idea of mask use looking like a "has this happened to you?" informercial fail montage. in most places it just becomes normal and people adjust. i aso dont see it as making the many suffer for the few, rather than as it codifying the solidarity (i.e. the many HELPING the few) that we already show on local levels (friends, family) but not on a broader level, where the personal connection is diffused and its harder for people to organise. i guess you could make comparisons to mandatory public health insurance ("im healthy, why should i have to pay just because other people are dumb enough to get sick?") but like i said, im a bit busy and distracted at the moment so i cant really in good faith keep up the discussion

hambeet posted:

yeah why is mad cow still a thing. can you be a carrier of it or something?

from memory since its a prion disease it can just hang around for decades and then suddenly manifest and you're absolutely hosed. i also assume its not easy to test for let alone 'clean' the blood (if that's even scientifically possible or financially viable?)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
the vcjd test requires a biopsy sample from the patient's tonsil and AFAIK there's only one lab that does it in the country.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

hambeet posted:

yeah why is mad cow still a thing. can you be a carrier of it or something?

You got something to tell us hambeet?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

You got something to tell us hambeet?

I did this last night, but was going to replace the pistol with a bolt pistol for the 30K thread

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Knobb Manwich posted:

I did this last night, but was going to replace the pistol with a bolt pistol for the 30K thread

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Knobb Manwich posted:

Do it coward

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

:hai: after work tho

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Knobb Manwich posted:

:five:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sulla Faex posted:

freebooter i apologise but i think i gotta bail on this discussion, i think if we were to keep at it we'd eventually find a happy middle ground, but i cant muster the energy for long posts at the moment.

Yeah fair enough.

I do think that being in Europe or being in Australia creates a different outlook not just from the actual situation on the ground, but from attitudes; Australia's had an attitude very early on that maybe we can pull the drawbridge up and keep COVID out (even if the government is allergic to the actual word "elimination".) So there is also a mentality and a public expectation (at least that I've seen) that we can go back to normal before a virus; no masks, no social distancing, etc. Some government and health authorities have stressed that we can't actually do that because there's always a risk of future outbreaks. I think New South Wales at least has demonstrated that it's quite possible to keep on top of a miniscule number of cases, and eventually eliminate, without a mask mandate.

In Victoria it looks like masks are here to stay for a while, we have zero active cases now and the rules have been relaxed for outdoors but not for anything else.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Pre-pandemic I would use every single day of my sick leave. Now I have nearly all of it left. There's a huge difference in proposition between working from home while ill (i.e. lurching the few metres from my bed to my desk), and commuting in for an hour while infectious, then being physically at work while infectious).

I'm honestly looking at going into work one day a week maximum, with a preference to only come in for necessary meetings or team-building stuff. It'll be a long time before my sector is physically back in the office anyway.

And the business proposition is also obvious: why rent CBD office space when you can externalise that cost to your employees?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Pre-pandemic I would use every single day of my sick leave. Now I have nearly all of it left. There's a huge difference in proposition between working from home while ill (i.e. lurching the few metres from my bed to my desk), and commuting in for an hour while infectious, then being physically at work while infectious).

On the downside this has really thrown a spanner in the works of chucking fake sickies

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

God bless the one term marginal seat MP who has taken over the WA libs, valiantly sacrificing himself in the unwinnable state election.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

God bless the one term marginal seat MP who has taken over the WA libs, valiantly sacrificing himself in the unwinnable state election.

The only way an intelligent person would have accepted that job was if they had an agreement that they would not be ousted after this election.

So, yeah, byebye Zak.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

freebooter posted:

On the downside this has really thrown a spanner in the works of chucking fake sickies

Covid test results are less than 24hrs so not really.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

It's a pretty good tactic (for them) to be honest, all but guaranteeing a bunch of free media time if resources are pulled to sandbag other seats.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

I doorknocked a die-hard Lib supporter on the weekend who was 100% resigned to Labor sweeping in and winning every seat.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Laserface posted:

Covid test results are less than 24hrs so not really.

I mean working from home has chucked a spanner in it. Hard to pretend I'm too sick to do my cushy white collar job when all I have to do is open my laptop

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

at work we've noted that sick leave is down a lot this year. from digging deeper we found that genuinely fewer people were unwell this year (as they're less likely to get a cold / flu due to melb lockdown), but we also found that staff were more than likely to work when unwell at home and for a variety of reasons.

i've actually gone out of my way to remind staff to take the day off if they're unwell and that there is no expectation for them to do more from home than they would have done when they were in the office. some have listened, some haven't.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 24, 2020

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

at work we've noted that sick leave is down a lot this year. from digging deeper we found that genuinely fewer people were unwell this year (as they're less likely to get a cold / flu due to melb lockdown), but we also found that staff were more than likely to work when unwell at home and for a variety of reasons.

i've actually gone out of my way to remind staff to take the day off if they're unwell and that there is no expectation for them to do more from home than they would have done when they were in the office. some have listened, some haven't.

My partner literally took today off because she is sick, but i just walked back from the bedroom where I found her doing work on her laptop.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm lucky enough to have a punch-in-punch-out wage-paid white collar job, where once a time-allotted task is over there's literally nothing for me to do, but my girlfriend often now works until 8 or 9pm or logs in to finish stuff on weekends, which I reckon will be a widespread issue in the coming years as heaps of companies shift entirely to WFH.

edit - like I was sort of joking when I said it's harder to call in sick, the actual reason I haven't done it this year is because in Melbourne there was nothing to skive out and go do, but even though I know my managers legally cannot ask me why I'm sick I still feel like it would be way more suss if I chucked a fake sickie now because I'd have to be truly bedridden not to do my job while WFH.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 24, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i chucked a fake sickie the other day. i just really cbf'd.

people are fatigued too as they're not taking annual leave. our leave liability at work has shot up massively. we've been able to cut into it by offering a bonus day of leave. if you take one annual leave day, you'll get another day off FREE. it's the only thing that worked as we've been reminding people all year.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/covi...NtunXOfw0CIsGfs

COVIDSafe data 'incidentally' collected by intelligence agencies in first six months

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hahahaahhahaa

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lmao oh my stars who could have predicted this??

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

TheMostFrench posted:

COVIDSafe data 'incidentally' collected by intelligence agencies in first six months

For gently caress sake.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

realbez posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheMostFrench posted:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

realbez posted:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
someone go back and find all the posts of people defending covid safe

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GoldStandardConure posted:

i'm sure covidsafe will be fine. because i'm a bird.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I'll find these posts in about 3 weeks (I'm Victorian my contact tracing sucks)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

Well to be fair they didn’t specifically collect COVIDSafe data, it was just hard not to collect it whilst vacuuming up the whole internet en masse.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People stopped talking about covidsafe so quickly I pretty much forgot about it. If the state health department told me to install it because it would help I probably would have

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

squawk

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The government bragged about how many people immediately signed up for it and then eventually refused to tell the media how effective it was because literally it would make them look bad.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

it's me, I'm the idiot who thought covid-safe was nothing to worry about security-wise

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheMostFrench posted:

yeah...this is the exact reason I said at the work meeting why I wasn't going to download it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"Sir, we have decrypted the COVIDsafe app data!"

"Finally! Quickly open the files. What's in it?"

"Location data for the seven people that installed it mostly walking around their flats for 3 months."

"Excellent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The government bragged about how many people immediately signed up for it and then eventually refused to tell the media how effective it was because literally it would make them look bad.

Remember the article about a successful covidsafe trace, well after the app was out in the wild?