Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is the decision to embrace English culture after a successful Norman invasion bugged? It says it will make all my vassals in England English, but it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Is the decision to embrace English culture after a successful Norman invasion bugged? It says it will make all my vassals in England English, but it doesn't.

Not sure, the wiki says that family members will convert and "Every owned county de jure in Kingdom of England has a 40% chance to change culture to English". I don't see anything there about vassals, so maybe a tooltip error?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
has the AI been fixed yet where when it has a female preference religion + female inheritance laws it actually tries to matrimarry its daughters?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Popoto posted:

has the AI been fixed yet where when it has a female preference religion + female inheritance laws it actually tries to matrimarry its daughters?

Yes, for the most part. You'll still see the occasional patrilineal marriage but broadly the AI in female dominated religions will matrilineally marry now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BEHOLD! THE PERFECT SPECIMEN OF HUMANITY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYpQuj1zYb8

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Has there been any indicator when the next big patch will drop? Not sure if I want to restart or keep my current run going.

E: Awesome, thanks!
VVVVV

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 23, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Tomorrow is 1.2

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Very cool that you can use custom rulers in achievement games.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I can't tell from their dev diaries if they're going to fix the random family members hooking up with each other at feasts thing. I dunno if they consider that a bug but it sure seems like it's "random_courtier_1" and "random_courtier_2" and doesn't recognize that he's her brother. I guess lots of the players love that stuff but it kinda ruins things for me especially with how frequently it happens.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

A God drat Ghost posted:

I can't tell from their dev diaries if they're going to fix the random family members hooking up with each other at feasts thing. I dunno if they consider that a bug but it sure seems like it's "random_courtier_1" and "random_courtier_2" and doesn't recognize that he's her brother. I guess lots of the players love that stuff but it kinda ruins things for me especially with how frequently it happens.
I love it when it's a Husband and Wife caught hooking up. The text acts like it's scandalous.

And look, maybe the incest happened in royal families a bit in history (I mean I know there's documented trees and famous examples), but in this game, I can mail-order a better, unrelated, spouse from across the world. Please stop making my children gently caress each other. Really don't like succeeding and finding out I have a bunch of Incest secrets that a bunch of powerful vassals will eventually use to blackmail me with.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This is why you always create a religion where everything is legal, just so you don't have to deal with all the crime

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Magil Zeal posted:

This is why you always create a religion where everything is legal, just so you don't have to deal with all the crime
I stilll get pop-ups about "scandal", only my reactions changed to "who cares, don't bother me"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I would really appreciate it if they changed the inheritance system back to something vaguely usual for most of the medieval period, as opposed to having to have a continent spanning Empire in order to not just be able to choose an heir.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Magil Zeal posted:

I think it'd be cool if you could make murder illegal. I do not give a poo poo that some vassal slept with a mayor outside of marriage, I care that he tried to kill my spymaster for god knows what reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Josef bugman posted:

I would really appreciate it if they changed the inheritance system back to something vaguely usual for most of the medieval period, as opposed to having to have a continent spanning Empire in order to not just be able to choose an heir.

You couldn’t choose an heir in CK2 either

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CharlestheHammer posted:

You couldn’t choose an heir in CK2 either

Sorry, I should mean "choose an heir" as in being able to tell who would inherit through stuff like "it goes to your son/daughter and your lands stay in one piece". I know so many people who essentially got part of the way through and just decided to stop because everything they built kept imploding. That and not knowing why some random uncle gets to be head of the household even though you are in charge of all of Norway and he is in charge of a barony in Essex.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The patch preview mentioned adding a better breakdown of why the dynasty head is the current dynasty head, which is nice.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Did my first couple runs in Ireland and then I just started a game in Sri Lanka but it's way too stable and boring. Ireland I also had a suspiciously easy time taking over Britain and converting it to my batshit new religion that everyone just accepted for some reason.

Any runs recommended as challenging or notably different from Ireland? I'm experienced at ck2 but new to 3.

The game's just pretty easy right now in general.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

A God drat Ghost posted:

I can't tell from their dev diaries if they're going to fix the random family members hooking up with each other at feasts thing.

I'm unsure, not all adjustments make it into the patch notes... I'll try to investigate this for a future patch, if nothing else.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Josef bugman posted:

Sorry, I should mean "choose an heir" as in being able to tell who would inherit through stuff like "it goes to your son/daughter and your lands stay in one piece". I know so many people who essentially got part of the way through and just decided to stop because everything they built kept imploding. That and not knowing why some random uncle gets to be head of the household even though you are in charge of all of Norway and he is in charge of a barony in Essex.

Oh well that’s just historically accurate, non splitting syccession was just starting to be a thing at the time of the game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh well that’s just historically accurate, non splitting syccession was just starting to be a thing at the time of the game

Interesting av/post-content synergy going on here.

The truth of the matter is that is was messy and inconsistent in most places. The Carolingians loved them some partible inheritance, as did the Rurikids, but you don't have to look very far to find rulers choosing their heirs from amongst their children and vested them with all of their titles upon their death; Henry the Fowler is an excellent example. Generations of rulers oscillated back and forth between primogeniture and partible inheritances based on their personal opinions, and while hardcoding everyone to use partible inheritance is interesting from a gameplay perspective, it has no basis in historical fact.

What was vastly more common is the concept of appanage, where junior heirs would be granted their own small estates to rule, but it was always clear that they were intended to be subordinate to the primary heir, and there was no real attempt at equality.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 23, 2020

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The Succession tab might not say why--and I doubt it ever will--but it'll at least motivate you to spread around your demesne before you die. I had an emperor of Francia give me the 1-year death notice (got the way of life achievement with this guy too), and I saw one of his sons the King of Sardinia was outside of the realm and slated to inherit my duchy of Anjou. I very carefully gave out all of my demesne--something like 7 or 8 counties and 2 duchies in Anjou and Neustria--so that he was finally knocked out of the succession tab entirely. For some reason he was always first in the list for split possessions. I ended up with my empire title, my one duchy title, and the single county of Anjou as my only personal possessions and died peacefully in my sleep less than 6 months later.

I think the intention is for it to be a gamble as to when you give away all your titles. Wait too long and the unorganized implosion happens, do it too quickly and you won't have any levies or income as you wait to die, but do it at just the right time and the borders will look exactly the way you want them to. Being a veteran ck2 player this was a pretty cool experience to have and I'm glad it's a long wait for Heraldry.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What if higher crown authority wasn't tech locked and let you use primogeniture, but the opinion maluses were much more severe?

Or like, the smaller the realm the lighter the "maintenance" costs for primogeniture

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Interesting av/post-content synergy going on here.

The truth of the matter is that is was messy and inconsistent in most places. The Carolingians loved them some partible inheritance, as did the Rurikids, but you don't have to look very far to find rulers choosing their heirs from amongst their children and vested them with all of their titles upon their death; Henry the Fowler is an excellent example. Generations of rulers oscillated back and forth between primogeniture and partible inheritances based on their personal opinions, and while hardcoding everyone to use partible inheritance is interesting from a gameplay perspective, it has no basis in historical fact.

What was vastly more common is the concept of appanage, where junior heirs would be granted their own small estates to rule, but it was always clear that they were intended to be subordinate to the primary heir, and there was no real attempt at equality.

I mean the thing you say was common in some smaller baronies in Germany I guess but the game doesn’t really simulate that lowly.

Doesn’t really matter premo succession doesn’t really become a solid thing until the 12th century and even then mostly in Western Europe

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dwesa posted:

I stilll get pop-ups about "scandal", only my reactions changed to "who cares, don't bother me"

Unfortunately there's no way to make lover relations not-secret. Even if you're full-on polyamory lover secrets are still generated and can still be exposed.

A God drat Ghost posted:

I think it'd be cool if you could make murder illegal. I do not give a poo poo that some vassal slept with a mayor outside of marriage, I care that he tried to kill my spymaster for god knows what reason.

Murder is, by definition, illegal. The trait's description even says "This character has illegally brought about someone's demise." I'm not quite sure why sometimes you can't arrest someone for it though, it may be that it's giving a different character the option for arrest and it's not very obvious how it works.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 24, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Magil Zeal posted:

Unfortunately there's no way to make lover relations not-secret. Even if you're full-on polyamory lover secrets are still generated and can still be exposed.

Murder is, by definition, illegal. The trait's description even says "This character has illegally brought about someone's demise." I'm not quite sure why sometimes you can't arrest someone for it though, it may be that it's giving a different character the option for arrest and it's not very obvious how it works.

Murder is illegal but it's not criminal, which is why it doesn't give an arrest reason. The only thing that's criminal is kinslaying, and your religion determines how distant a relationship can be before it's not criminal any more. For most christians it's "close kin". Anyone outside of that, it's an opinion malus but you can't imprison.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Reveilled posted:

Murder is illegal but it's not criminal, which is why it doesn't give an arrest reason. The only thing that's criminal is kinslaying, and your religion determines how distant a relationship can be before it's not criminal any more. For most christians it's "close kin". Anyone outside of that, it's an opinion malus but you can't imprison.

:psyduck:

why would they make that so backwards and weird?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Best Friends posted:

Any runs recommended as challenging or notably different from Ireland? I'm experienced at ck2 but new to 3.
Notably different would be going for the Mother of Us All achievement (whether you actually play ironman or not). You don't have to go matriarchal but I think it made that game a bit more interesting and harder as other religions usually won't go matrilineal marriage when you're trying to get a good stud for your baby maker.

Closest I came to a game over (that wasn't by me losing wars or being outright murdered while childless at the start of a game) was realising my primary heir was 40 with no kids and my other children had patrilineally married (before they fixed the preferences).

But otherwise it wasn't super challenging once you get the steamroll going, just long.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Eimi posted:

:psyduck:

why would they make that so backwards and weird?

It's a bit more complicated than that. There is even a "secret_murder_is_criminal_trigger" trigger. It is possible for murder to be criminal, and not just for kinslaying (with the proper doctrine). I just am having a hard time parsing exactly what makes it criminal. For example, if you're an independent ruler it isn't considered criminal (presumably because nobody will punish you for it, while other things that are criminal can be punished by the church). Otherwise I think it's more about whether or not the victim has family members of a certain tier.

Edit: As best I can tell by looking at the code and with some amateurish modding experience, murder committed by you is criminal if:
(a) You are NOT an independent ruler AND
(b) Your victim is either landless or a baron and has no extended family members with titles above your tier OR
(c) The victim or any member of the victim's extended family do not hold titles more than one tier below you (so a king murdering a count is not criminal unless the count has a relative that is a duke or higher).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 24, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Maybe there's a set of self-imposed rules to make the game hard but still fun.

IDK if self-imposing stuff like no offensive war casus bellis allowed would be fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just playing with no combatant men at arms would probably make the game real difficult.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I constantly self sabotage myself in this game for fun and always forget that other people tend not to do this.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a bug with prisoners paying you their ransom? When I select dudes to ransom through the issues interface, a loot of the time I don't seem to get paid. If it matters, I've got Golden Obligations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a bug with prisoners paying you their ransom? When I select dudes to ransom through the issues interface, a loot of the time I don't seem to get paid. If it matters, I've got Golden Obligations.

Yes. Golden Obligations in theory raises the ransom price of all your prisoners to whatever you'd get from paying off a hook, but while the UI claims this, the actual amount you get is the default value you'd get before Golden Obligations is factored in. I imagine Paradox intended Golden Obligations to do this to try and save you the tedium of ransoming characters for a hook and then demanding payment for the hook, but they didn't get the code right. So if you want to get the full value you do have to go through that tedium.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah the instantly teleporting easily building buff-stacked men at arms seems like a real balance oversight.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Just playing with no combatant men at arms would probably make the game real difficult.

Only if you also do no mercs, since they always have a bunch of MaAs, including cultural ones. It's pretty easy to get to the point of being able to keep a couple of mercs on retainer, which is even easier if you don't spend any money on your own MaA.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

PittTheElder posted:

Or even just not teleporting them around really. Much harder to overpower the attackers if you have to spend 3 months marching them back and forth when getting hit on multiple sides

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

War is easier than ck2 but it's also way way less annoying, so that's a win in my book. I think what this needs for difficulty is a severe ramping up of internal politics imo. Crafty decietful vassals right now seem way too happy to let a not even particularly bright child push them around. I like that the game is telling me count von evil is a scheming villain but there's no evidence of him actually doing any scheming or villainy besides a seemingly random and unrealized murder plot against a nobody.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
1.2.1 (Argent) is released.

Patch notes:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-45-1-2-patch-notes.1444123/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

quote:

- Only the holder of a holding can cancel construction now. No more canceling your vassals' constructions to get money

drat.