Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CainFortea posted:

Because none of that happens in season 1 or 2.

We get Allamarane and the loving maquis.

Uh, hello, Duet???

I can understand people not finding DS9's first couple of seasons as much to their liking, but anyone who's got time for TNG's last two seasons easily has the time for DS9's first two.

infernal machines posted:

Also underappreciated: TNG S1/2 had the best music of the series by far, before they decided to go with the "sonic wallpaper" motif

Extremely agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can understand people not finding DS9's first couple of seasons as much to their liking, but anyone who's got time for TNG's last two seasons easily has the time for DS9's first two.

On that note, while TNG season 7 is one of my favorites, it’s fascinating how it’s basically the template for the look, feel, and writing choices of Voyager. It makes sense, because Jeri Taylor was the showrunner for that season, and she was also showrunner of Voyager up through season 4.

Stuff like Genesis, Masks, Parallels, Emergence, Phantasms...those are totally Voyager episodes. Personally, I adore all of those. So I think it goes to show the difference of getting kinda weird with a series that has a solid foundation as opposed to having that shakiness be the core of a new one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Uh, hello, Duet???

Extremely agreed.

Duet is ep 19 tho

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I like the Maquis episode with the Vulcan woman because for some reason Gul Dukat goes out of his way to punch her in the face twice.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

alexandriao posted:

It's actually one of the best.

Good Episodes are (probably going to get roasted for these picks but whatever lol):

The Battle, Datalore, Too Short A Season, Home Soil, Coming Of Age (But only because it's linked with Conspiracy), The Arsenal of Freedom, Symbiosis, Conspiracy

I have a soft spot for The Neutral Zone and the only actually outright bad ones are The Naked Now, Code of Honour, and The Last Outpost -- the rest range from "eh" to "hmm".

Season Two and Three have more bangers but the one is outweighed by having to sit through Pulaski's bullshit.

I just watched Too Short A Season last night and the terrible 'old man' makeup plus the fake old man acting takes me right out of the episode. The episode just fizzles out as the young admiral dies in his wife's arms while Karnas just stands there.

On the other hand, Conspiracy should have been the last episode of S1 instead of The Neutral Zone.

Season One is really, really awkward because the character interaction are all over the place; Picard is super grumpy and Data does these odd smirks every so often. It's painfully obvious Paramount was burning through writers at this point.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 24, 2020

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hello Trek thread,

I introduced TNG to my girlfriend a few months ago and she’s really fallen in love with the series. We’re both pretty new to the series as a whole but I’m hoping to get some Trek nerd thing for her for Christmas. Is there any particularly novel/fun merchandise for someone with a love of space communism?

Well there is this thing, which I could not resist and just ordered. Freaky bust of facepalm Picard. There's also a Riker version.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089Q9XLDW

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hello Trek thread,

I introduced TNG to my girlfriend a few months ago and she’s really fallen in love with the series. We’re both pretty new to the series as a whole but I’m hoping to get some Trek nerd thing for her for Christmas. Is there any particularly novel/fun merchandise for someone with a love of space communism?

https://www.amazon.com/Warped-Engag...06199586&sr=8-1

From the guy who went on to make Lower Decks.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 24, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hello Trek thread,

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Star-Trek-Roddenberry-Tng-Horgahn-Statue-1-1-Scale-Prop-Replica/324382564021?hash=item4b86b51eb5:g:8HwAAOSwgn5fVRiw

greetings from risa

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

:laffo:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You must do this

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I honestly don't get why people think Jake would spend his life trying to get his father back after the end of DS9. He knows where his father is, he knows he is there willingly, and he knows he will see him again (provided Jake doesn't die in an accident or something). Hell, if he really needs his help he can just fly into the wormhole and ask to see him, Sisko will definitely take the time to say hello. The prophets won't care, they have no concept of time! There is precisely zero reason for Jake to do anything. And if he did, what would he do? Would he declare war on the prophets, try to destroy the wormhole, or join the Bajoran priesthood? The Federation is not going to sign off on helping him harass the prophets just because he misses his dad, that's for sure.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jake would 100% be crying, bawling, screaming, CLAWING for his father to come back once he hits about 35 and writers block sets in

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

barton fink but its jake writing a domjot movie

sisko is charlie

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

avery brooks would kill that role, holy gently caress.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

GolfHole posted:

jake would 100% be crying, bawling, screaming, CLAWING for his father to come back once he hits about 35 and writers block sets in

took that as meaning writer's block for whatever hacks alex kurtzman hires and hey, cirroc lofton's only 42, not that far off

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sweet geek swag posted:

I honestly don't get why people think Jake would spend his life trying to get his father back after the end of DS9. He knows where his father is, he knows he is there willingly, and he knows he will see him again (provided Jake doesn't die in an accident or something). Hell, if he really needs his help he can just fly into the wormhole and ask to see him, Sisko will definitely take the time to say hello. The prophets won't care, they have no concept of time! There is precisely zero reason for Jake to do anything. And if he did, what would he do? Would he declare war on the prophets, try to destroy the wormhole, or join the Bajoran priesthood? The Federation is not going to sign off on helping him harass the prophets just because he misses his dad, that's for sure.

Jake Sisko runs The Daily Bugle on DS9 and is always shouting "Those prophets are a menace! Get me pictures of Tin Man!"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

This plus a hand-made coupon for six free hours of jahamaron

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

forgot my lunch today

<:mad:>

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm watching the TNG episode with Lwaxana meeting Colonel Winchester before his Carrousel and for an episode that revolves around ritual suicide, I love that it starts with Troi's log entry of just "My mother is on board..." and cuts to Picard timidly leaning out of a turbolift like a spooked gazelle.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
poo poo like that reminds me that TNG-ENT was basically just a police procedural mixed with an office dramedy that happened to be set in space. Swashbuckling action Trek feels weird.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

HD DAD posted:

Swashbuckling action Trek feels weird.

In proper Star Trek pacing, even the most dire of emergencies are responded to via light jog.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

In proper Star Trek pacing, even the most dire of emergencies are responded to via light jog.

I remember one episode where Geordi says they have two minutes, he and... I think Barclay? Walk from Engineering to the bridge at the same pace as a normal walk-and-talk.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think we have a winner.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

plus a hand-made coupon for six free hours of jahamaron

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cthulu Carl posted:

I remember one episode where Geordi says they have two minutes, he and... I think Barclay? Walk from Engineering to the bridge at the same pace as a normal walk-and-talk.

yeah but also the second season episode with the Irudeuns(?) where Geordi absolutely runs at full pelt to the bridge and gets thrown out

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

HD DAD posted:

poo poo like that reminds me that TNG-ENT was basically just a police procedural mixed with an office dramedy that happened to be set in space. Swashbuckling action Trek feels weird.
Can't forget about the occasional body horror.

Like if Jim from (The Office) and Dwight merged into a new being called uhhhhh Jight and he wants to date Pam AND Angela but Michael wants his right hand man back so he orders them split apart.

And then Jight just mugs to the camera as credits roll.

And next week everyone forgets about it because it's an ship wide chili cooking contest.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 24, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was going to make the exact same joke, but with the episode opening to the cast walking into the office to find Creed half phased into the floor. Jim Jims the camera, roll opening theme.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
"women aren't people. they're women" - Doctor Ira Graves, trying to be charming.

What in the gently caress??

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tango alpha delta posted:

"women aren't people. they're women" - Doctor Ira Graves, trying to be charming.

What in the gently caress??
Early TNG has a bunch of these weird scientists with hot wives/assistants who all seem to each have a planet to themselves

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm watching the TNG episode with Lwaxana meeting Colonel Winchester before his Carrousel and for an episode that revolves around ritual suicide, I love that it starts with Troi's log entry of just "My mother is on board..." and cuts to Picard timidly leaning out of a turbolift like a spooked gazelle.

The real reason Deanna gets a bridge seat is because she's advance warning for Lwaxana Troi coming onboard. Half the fleet would probably kill to get Deanna assigned to their ship, knowing it'd mean they'd be able to prepare, or even avoid, having the Betazed ambassador striding aboard their ship without advance notice.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gonna watch star trek IV with the lady tomorrow

its probably one of the best if not the most accessible of the ST movies

she already knows who william shatner is from boston legal or whatever ive never seen it

The General
Mar 4, 2007

IV is the most accessible. VI is the best. Though I can understand why people would think II Is the best.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The General posted:

IV is the most accessible. VI is the best. Though I can understand why people would think II Is the best.

:hmmyes:

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watching Galaxy's Child.
Leaving the holodeck issue aside, Geordi's essentially e-stalking Brahms. at least Guinan calls him out on it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I feel like Geordi shouldn't be going through Barclay's Holodeck history. Obviously Barclay shouldn't be loving simulations of his coworkers and fantasizing about murdering his bosses too, but that seems to be allowed? idk how I feel about this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

gonna watch star trek IV with the lady tomorrow

its probably one of the best if not the most accessible of the ST movies

she already knows who william shatner is from boston legal or whatever ive never seen it

idk it took me years to realize "Michelob" was supposed to be a punch line

still haven't figured out what the joke was

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The General posted:

Who says VI is the worst??

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Who says VI is the worst??

Nobody with a functional brain.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

I feel like Geordi shouldn't be going through Barclay's Holodeck history. Obviously Barclay shouldn't be loving simulations of his coworkers and fantasizing about murdering his bosses too, but that seems to be allowed? idk how I feel about this.

*yelling* THE FIRST DUTY OF EVERY STARFLEET OFFICER IS TO THE TRUTH, WHETHER ITS HISTORICAL TRUTH, SCIENTIFIC TRUTH, OR HORNY TRUTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

idk it took me years to realize "Michelob" was supposed to be a punch line

still haven't figured out what the joke was

I don't think that was a joke as much as just blatant product placement.