Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isolationist posted:

Has anyone had any exposure to the new 2019/2020 KTM 690 SMC R's? I'm cross shopping SMCR's ($13k AUD secondhand), Husqvarna 701SMs ($10-15k secondhand but come up infrequently) and gen 1 SuperDuke 1290s ($14-15k secondhand with 30k-ish kms).

Use case would be 20-30k kms of commuting a year plus a 2000k round trip once a year, camping light - previous bikes I've owned that both fit the bill were a B-King/R1 (sick of smooth i4s and live in a speed nazi state with 110 kp/H limits) and a sumoed DR650. Also considering the 1100 Tuonos as they're surprisingly cheap, but not sure if a V4 would give me the lumpy aggression I'm after or would be just another too-smooth bike that would never see it's exciting top end.

Note: DR650 had all the big bore/ported head/cam/tm40 carb mods etc bringing it up to about the SMCR's power and I enjoyed it, but it grenaded pretty quick. Can't have that happen again.

If you can't have engines explode as a normal part of ownership, you are not ready to race and orange bikes aren't for you.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Like others here I also am not a HD fan but that's a good looking bike. Not crazy about the headlamp, but it actually looks functional rather than aesthetic. Better than all the weird insect eyes tacked on the front of basically all non-cruiser bikes these days by a country mile.

Is there an aftermarket for mid-controls on that model? Or does the giant primary prevent that from being possible?

Speaking of aftermarket, is it also standard in the UK to put freedom pipes on your Harley before you take it home from the dealership?

Mid controls do exist for them but they are both more comfortable and have more ground clearance with moderately forward pegs. They are also more controllable that way, it sounds strange but it's true. You seem to get more leverage and you can even weigh the pegs or stand in the seat like a normal bike, provided you haven't removed the excellent stock bars and fitted tall T-bars to go with your red sneakers and room temp iq.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Glad to see more fat front tires in the world. Wide tire good, tall tire bad

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is there an aftermarket for mid-controls on that model? Or does the giant primary prevent that from being possible?

Speaking of aftermarket, is it also standard in the UK to put freedom pipes on your Harley before you take it home from the dealership?

No idea if there are aftermarket mids for the Bob, but these forwards are not as far forward as most forwards, they are almost mids. I'd say your legs bend at a 100 degree angle.

This one has some Vance and Hines on it already and sounds quite nice but not obnoxious. Lots of bikes at the dealership though had stock pipes. They can put on whatever you like. This Bob is a demo bike and hence has aftermarket cans with a Stage 1 done to it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

It's a super handsome bike in person, op really sucks at taking pictures.

True.

For better shots, check out the site and the 360 spin around graphic:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/en/motorcycles/fat-bob.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Isolationist posted:

Use case would be 20-30k kms of commuting a year plus a 2000k round trip once a year.

Doing either of these on the 690 platform is hell on earth, in my experience. Its horrible in every conceivable way for that.

Fwiw, the DR650 is a total dream for that use, so don't try to equate them.

690 is only good for flogging and flinging the front up.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Isolationist posted:

Has anyone had any exposure to the new 2019/2020 KTM 690 SMC R's? I'm cross shopping SMCR's ($13k AUD secondhand), Husqvarna 701SMs ($10-15k secondhand but come up infrequently) and gen 1 SuperDuke 1290s ($14-15k secondhand with 30k-ish kms).

Use case would be 20-30k kms of commuting a year plus a 2000k round trip once a year, camping light - previous bikes I've owned that both fit the bill were a B-King/R1 (sick of smooth i4s and live in a speed nazi state with 110 kp/H limits) and a sumoed DR650. Also considering the 1100 Tuonos as they're surprisingly cheap, but not sure if a V4 would give me the lumpy aggression I'm after or would be just another too-smooth bike that would never see it's exciting top end.

Note: DR650 had all the big bore/ported head/cam/tm40 carb mods etc bringing it up to about the SMCR's power and I enjoyed it, but it grenaded pretty quick. Can't have that happen again.

I was comfortable enough on my 2017 701sm, did 800km a day on it once, but yeah apart from build quality issues (stickers peeling, warped brake rotors, oil leaks) I had a valve spring fail at 30k kms. Before that I had a 2014 690 Duke that was on its third piston/cylinder by 20k km. They also require you to keep an eye on the oil level at all times. Don't get a 690 because want to switch to a reliable bike.

Maybe the 990SMR/SMT would be interesting for you. If you want something that's exciting, reliable, but not a four cylinder, try the MT07/09 and their derivatives. I ended up switching to a Tracer 900, which is still way too fast for the street. Main issue is that these bikes are all a bit low budget, though the new MT09 (SP) looks better in that regard.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

True.

For better shots, check out the site and the 360 spin around graphic:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/en/motorcycles/fat-bob.html

Stop making me want a Harley dammit! :argh:

e/ I am really not loving that name though. "Fat Bob" sounds like something a goon would go by :btroll:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 16, 2020

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Cheers for the advice guys! Yeah, that matches up with what I expected on the LC4's (but had hoped for better given the engine revamps). Current R1 is over 100,000 km now and is almost functionally identical to an MT09 (streetfightered, hugely geared down, quickshifter etc) so even though I know MT09's are the answer they're so vanilla and close to the same bike. 1290 stays the absolute primary (giant dirt bike, but with an understressed engine and good safety electronics) - no experience with V4 tuonos for high mileage hooning/twisties?

Brother has a GSX-S and it's basically the same bike as the R1 (downgeared/quickshifter), I can honestly say I don't ever want to own an i4 again.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Stop making me want a Harley dammit! :argh:

Take one for a test ride. Do it.

Also, I remember that Slavvy mentioned a few weeks or months back that he thought the Fat Bob was one of the few Harleys that doesn't handle badly. This has had a non-zero impact on my decision to take one for a test ride!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Lots of new sportbike news coming out. Ducati released images of the Ducati V4SP which looks like it slots above the V4R and under the Superleggera and is track focused coming with a track kit. Dealerships are already taking deposits.

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/panigale/panigale-v4-sp

Kawasaki released images of the new ZX-10RR. (the 10R is standard and the RR the race homologation special I believe)
https://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/948781/1/pluses-and-minuses-rea-gives-new-kawasaki-zx10rr-powerful-debut-jerez

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is it with bike manufacturers pasting tons of abstract close up shots of bodywork on a black background. Scroll 3/4 to the end of the page just to finally get a look at that Duc.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Look they didn't take all those teaser photos to not use them

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The ducati looks like the BMW sportbike with those gills on the side.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
As discussed in the other thread the R6 is now gone for 2021. It is available as a track bike for 2021 but that's it and end of life for it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oibignose posted:

Not my cup of tea but life is too short not to treat yourself. Go for it.

Jazzzzz posted:

Agreed, but if you like it, by all means go get it!

I bought it.

Rode it to a petrol station, put fuel in it, took it over to my bike instructor's shop, he wasn't in, rode it back home.

It is so so so good. Love it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

It is so so so good. Love it.

I'm glad you found a dealership that weren't a bunch of rear end gremlins

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

mewse posted:

I'm glad you found a dealership that weren't a bunch of rear end gremlins

Going by slack chat... I don’t think he did.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I didn't.

To my shame I went with Edinburgh HD, because they were £3000 cheaper for the same bike (2019 though, instead of 2020, and 5000 miles instead of 1000), plus a rack and 2 saddlebags.

I'll be going to WC HD though for all servicing/accessories etc though.

Also a random bloke in my little town came up to say hi while I was working on it this afternoon (taking GPS and GoPro mounts off the 125 to mount to the Bob). He asked which HD Dealership did I buy it from, I said Edinburgh, he asked how I found them, I said quite rude and abrupt. He said that I'm not the only one who has had that observation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I didn't.

To my shame I went with Edinburgh HD, because they were £3000 cheaper for the same bike (2019 though, instead of 2020, and 5000 miles instead of 1000), plus a rack and 2 saddlebags.

I'll be going to WC HD though for all servicing/accessories etc though.

Also a random bloke in my little town came up to say hi while I was working on it this afternoon (taking GPS and GoPro mounts off the 125 to mount to the Bob). He asked which HD Dealership did I buy it from, I said Edinburgh, he asked how I found them, I said quite rude and abrupt. He said that I'm not the only one who has had that observation.

Be prepared for more random blokes talking to you than any other time in your life. I'm amazed HD hasn't tried to break into the gay scene, the marketing potential of having a literal dude magnet with wheels just takes my breath away.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yup. As I was working on it, a steady stream of blokes came by to talk about it. A couple of kids came by 3 times to hear it rev as well.

A half an hour job, maybe, ended up taking about 2 hours.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Yup. As I was working on it, a steady stream of blokes came by to talk about it. A couple of kids came by 3 times to hear it rev as well.

A half an hour job, maybe, ended up taking about 2 hours.
Hell yeah. A stranger said "nice bike man" when I was putting the plate on my F4i outside of the DMV and that pretty much set the tone for owning that thing so far, even if it's just in my head from that first impression.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Nice. Looks like a beast. Hope you get to enjoy it before the winter really kicks in.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fifty Three posted:

Hell yeah. A stranger said "nice bike man" when I was putting the plate on my F4i outside of the DMV and that pretty much set the tone for owning that thing so far, even if it's just in my head from that first impression.

I get old dudes crossing the street to ask me about the Rex. It's a very different experience that way than with the Wee, where it was like I had a Somebody Else's Problem field active

I'm not a real sociable guy in person so it wasn't actually that bad, but i do like sayin good things about the Rex

E: the fat bob does look pretty dope, which is something i wouldn't usually say about a Harley, I hope you enjoy the heck out of it

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is there any motorcycle ever made that gets girls to talk to you instead of random dudes?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

FBS posted:

Is there any motorcycle ever made that gets girls to talk to you instead of random dudes?

I had a couple girls in SF stop to tell me they liked my lime green ninja 650 many years ago. That’s the only time strangers commented on that bike while I had it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

It's a very different experience that way than with the Wee, where it was like I had a Somebody Else's Problem field active

I think this is all dual sport and dirt touring bikes. I pulled up next to a dude on a DL1000 the other day on my DR and he wanted to talk about my bike and I wanted to talk about his. Absolutely nobody ever notices them except other dual sport guys and even then it’s like “aight, gotta get going now” because they want to get back to their ride.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FBS posted:

Honda monkey

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tell me what bike to buy: will it make girls talk to me?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll probably not get any.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

Motorcycles only attract dudes. So unless you’re a straight woman or a gay man, you’re out of luck

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My old ZZR attracted my girlfriend, but only because she wanted a ride on literally any bike; she thought that specific one was ugly as hell, prefers cruisers.

She likes my W800 a lot more, but in public it exclusively gets attention from ancient men who confuse it for an old BSA or something

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This is why my CB 1100 is shamefully hidden in the back of the garage. I only ride it at night and don't stop for anything. ANYTHING

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

As discussed in the other thread the R6 is now gone for 2021. It is available as a track bike for 2021 but that's it and end of life for it.

is it because they cost a billion dollars to insure and you might as well get an r1 if you are paying that much? A tuono 1100 was half as much of a r6 to insure, wtf man I could cause so much more damage on the tuono

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 22, 2020

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Speaking of Tuono 1100's, has anyone had experience with putting a lot of kms/commuting/touring on one? They seem hilariously underpriced for what they are, and though they don't show up on cycle-ergo I'd guess the ergos are similar to standard Tuonos - upright, better electronics package and $4k AUD cheaper secondhand than the same year/km Superduke.

Currently cross shopping ZX14'S (roughly 2015 ones are under $10k AUD with full exhausts and set ups, needing only a quickshifter and some sort of bar riser/rear set improvement for the ergos), Superduke Gen 1's ($15-$17k, need quickshifter/flash/speedohealer and of questionable long term reliability) and Tuono 1100 2015 approx (fully setup for approx $12-$15k, though I am blind as to ergos and reliability).

Ironically 2015 era S1000R's can be bought all day for $13-$15k fully tricked out, but I'm extremely wary of repair costs/reliability on one of those when used for 30,000 km a year.

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 23, 2020

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I know the older Rotax V2 Aprillias were incredibly long lived engine wise but that was essentially a re cammed boat motor. On the other hand you can also die the death of 1000 stitches with everything around the engine being super obnoxious to work on for no apparent reason.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I rode a friend's Zero again and came away with a burning desire to own add an electric motorcycle to my stable. However, I really feel like this is a segment that could do with some cool vintag-y looking bikes. Is anyone making anything like that which is actually purchasable and not vaporware?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I rode a friend's Zero again and came away with a burning desire to own add an electric motorcycle to my stable. However, I really feel like this is a segment that could do with some cool vintag-y looking bikes. Is anyone making anything like that which is actually purchasable and not vaporware?

https://www.energicamotor.com/energica-eva-esseesse9-old-school-electric-motorcycle/

Comes with DC fast charging and a bigger battery option, but the AC charge rate is lower. Has a chain and reduction gears so it’s louder than the zero, but some people really like the whine it makes. Dealer network is not as good as Zero in the US, but they’re working on it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
They need to make some kind of electric bike that has like a triangular headlight and is all magenta and chrome and electric teal with like grids and squares and poo poo that makes crockett and tubbs be like this is a bit on the nose

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

BabelFish posted:

https://www.energicamotor.com/energica-eva-esseesse9-old-school-electric-motorcycle/

Comes with DC fast charging and a bigger battery option, but the AC charge rate is lower. Has a chain and reduction gears so it’s louder than the zero, but some people really like the whine it makes. Dealer network is not as good as Zero in the US, but they’re working on it.

Oh poo poo there is an electric with fast charging now? How long for a full battery on a DC fast charger? <20 min?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mirconium posted:

Oh poo poo there is an electric with fast charging now? How long for a full battery on a DC fast charger? <20 min?
Energica quotes as 20 minutes, but real world tests are between 20 and 30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFgZ2JQ_hFU
He's got the smaller 13.4KWH battery here, the 21.5KWH packs are new for this year I think so there's less info on their charging rates.