Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

clockwork chaos posted:

You fool, you absolute baffoon, i will never pick a side, i love all rat-like cratures

hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

seance snacks posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I've never heard of anyone breeding them in Virginia either

edit: I just googled it and apparently some people do! And sell them at $150-$300 no less. I had no idea the rat thingy living under my porch was so valuable.

If I ever lose my job, it's good to know I can moonlight as a opossum wrangler to make ends meet.

One day,I would like to set up a possum breeding service. Not to sell, but just to maintain their population in areas.

also to try and breed a longer life span into them :shh:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
i was going to suggest breeding octopi that live longer than 3-5 years, but i realized that might lead to them overthrowing us as dominant lifeform

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i was going to suggest breeding octopi that live longer than 3-5 years, but i realized that might lead to them overthrowing us as dominant lifeform

post/avatar horror show

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Hrm.. The question is, if octopi lived for a human life span, would they start developing social structures?

As divisive as humanity is, it's our social structures that allowed us to get anywhere.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sounds good, get started.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hrm.. The question is, if octopi lived for a human life span, would they start developing social structures?

As divisive as humanity is, it's our social structures that allowed us to get anywhere.
I have definitely read a report some years ago about octopi basically acting like landlords and evicting each other from some kind of undersea apartment complex (coral reef, maybe?).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Bloop posted:

I ... haven't seen that anywhere. Granted I don't exactly follow him other than watching clips of Fool Us every once in a while on YouTube

Their Vegas show was still one of the best things I've seen live, but that was years ago, and Teller was very chatty after

Yeah, he went from the classic, "Anyone with an ounce of power is lying to you 100% of the time" Libertarian to "Good lord please everyone do your best to get along because holy gently caress it's getting bad out here" Centrist.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's slightly tautological, you need human society to generate a humanlike society.

The main thing you need is information storage to facilitate communication. Which humans served as for themselves until writing and set the stage for communication with our peers being an important sharpening stone of information before communicating it with our descendents.

But if octopuses were to figure out some shared code to be able to store written works. There's still some same generation info flow but it's less efficient for those early years since ideas can only be reviewed per generation for the most part. But once there is Octopus Internet all the same stops are taken out and there's no telling how long until the Uber Octopus is chosen to wipe terra firma clean to secure ocean supremacy.

Anyway that's why I'm looking for calamari and confused you don't have them at this Wendy's, I get them all the time from the one on Park street.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you're worried about pet lifespan just get a bird.

A lot of them live as long as humans which means it will probably outlive you and become a burden on your descendants. A burden that does nothing but poo poo and screech.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you're worried about pet lifespan just get a bird.

A lot of them live as long as humans which means it will probably outlive you and become a burden on your descendants. A burden that does nothing but poo poo and screech.

Birds bite too

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Better yet, get a giant tortoise!
Now, it can be a burden on several of your dependents!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

A burden that does nothing but poo poo and screech.

Whoa whoa whoa this is already stepping on my toes here

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zedprime posted:

The main thing you need is information storage to facilitate communication. Which humans served as for themselves until writing and set the stage for communication with our peers being an important sharpening stone of information before communicating it with our descendents.

Writing is overrated in human society. It's insanely important today as we've taken to writing down all our myriad relationships with one another. But this is a recent development in human existence, following the invention of the printing press; prior to this, while some thing were written down, most things weren't. Major political entities rose and fell while being entirely dependent on interpersonal relationships, to say nothing of the tens of thousands of years in which complex human societies existed before writing was ever invented.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I don't know how this got so common, but it's buffoon, with a u and two oos

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phy posted:

I don't know how this got so common, but it's buffoon, with a u and two oos

shut up nerd

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I kind of wish "nurd" had caught on as the dominant spelling

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

I kind of wish "nurd" had caught on as the dominant spelling

I sometimes write terd instead of turd and I think both are funny

And yes I write turd a lot because I am an active forums goon and it comes out with great regularity

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

clockwork chaos posted:

He's a Greater Bandicoot Rat from Thailand!
Specifically Titan from https://m.facebook.com/ChompooTitanTheWildRats/

Neat! Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Possum chat, I know I'm falling for marketing tricks by sharing this but dammit it's worth it :3:

Also

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I ... haven't seen that anywhere. Granted I don't exactly follow him other than watching clips of Fool Us every once in a while on YouTube

Their Vegas show was still one of the best things I've seen live, but that was years ago, and Teller was very chatty after

Nah, he's just saying that's what he looks like in each of the photos.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Really? Why is he messaging a strip club featuring the finest phat rear end white girls in Scotland?

Wouldn't you?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I sometimes write terd instead of turd and I think both are funny

And yes I turd a lot because I am an active forums goon and it comes out with great regularity

Braggart. Not everyone is a daily pooper.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

https://youtu.be/A8bGwVe2tAI

My dog, Doggington, can't stand my mom's birb. I find it funny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

:wink:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

clockwork chaos posted:

You fool, you absolute baffoon, i will never pick a side, i love all rat-like cratures

Yo what's this thing I like this thing.

Inceltown posted:

Birds bite too

winterwerefox posted:

https://youtu.be/A8bGwVe2tAI

My dog, Doggington, can't stand my mom's birb. I find it funny.

a friend of mine has a parrot, Clover, that used to mess with the do, he'd fly over to the counter and open the treat container and yell "TREAT TIME!".

It was up in the air whether or not he was going to actually drop a treat for the dog, sometimes he'd just stare at the dog and the dog would bark and the bird would squawk a bunch, obviously laughing his rear end off.

So we'd just be chilling watching a movie or something and all of a sudden you'd just hear chaos erupting in the kitchen. poo poo was hilarious, that bird was smart as gently caress - my friend never taught him to tease the dog or give it treats, Clover just learned it all on its own, one day he started doing it and decided that was just a thing he did now.

The dog and the parrot were pretty cool with each other too since the bird would also regularly give the dog treats as well. Apparently though, one time Clover nipped at the dog and the dog barked and scared the bejesus out of him, so for a couple of weeks Clover would avoid the dog so you'd just see this little bird head poking around doorways and over couches and stuff, making sure the coast was clear.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Nov 24, 2020

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

His nose is sweaty, paws weak, quills are heavy
There's sauce all over his belly, hair spaghetti

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Nov 24, 2020

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Bloop posted:

i saw them do a trick from their vegas show on fool us and i was sad because when i saw it in vegas teller like contorted his body to stick his real legs out of the hole. then on fool us he used fake legs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RustyKnight posted:

there are some australian opossum breeders but it's not the same as virginia ones, so to answer that: no, there are none

There are no Australian opossum breeders in Poland.

This is because there are no Australian opossums.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

There are no Australian opossum breeders in Poland.

This is because there are no Australian opossums.

They're Australians expatriates in Poland who breed American opossums. Not that hard.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This baby dank as gently caress.

https://i.imgur.com/7WunYKE.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

post/avatar horror show

You're one to talk!

More the issue is that the octopus mating process apparently involves the reproductive systems cannibalising the digestive tract.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Woebin posted:

I have definitely read a report some years ago about octopi basically acting like landlords and evicting each other from some kind of undersea apartment complex (coral reef, maybe?).

Jervis Bay, Australia. The wonderfully named Gloomy Octopus

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Turpitude II posted:

what does he suggest if cat weede doesn't work for your cat? only 60% of cats are able to be affected by catnip

Honeysuckle bark

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You're one to talk!

More the issue is that the octopus mating process apparently involves the reproductive systems cannibalising the digestive tract.

Sounds like a good plan.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Anyone interested in Octopus intelligence and social behaviour should read "Other Minds" by Peter Godfrey-Smith.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wellllll, while pet rats are very loving and cute, wild rats are not.

Wild possums eat a gently caress ton of ticks every year, and are important parts of the scavenger ecology.

Sorry Rat people, Possums win out.

:hmmyes:

Lots of people itt never had rats in their house (and knew about it).

They will gently caress poo poo up bad in a matter of days and it is costly to actually remove them.

Traps don’t do poo poo but catch the outliers. You aren’t getting king and colony with traps. You gotta seal your house up so there is no entry and make the space hostile as gently caress so they leave or die off.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BOOTY-ADE posted:

His nose is sweaty, paws weak, quills are heavy
There's sauce all over his belly, hair spaghetti

:hmmyes:

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

what about Common brushtail possum, or is there a rule that opossums are the american ones and possums are the australian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

Yo what's this thing I like this thing.

I think it's an albino capybara going by the head.