Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I suppose you might miss Nathaniel’s quest in some histories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Pretty sure it stands for the Ultimate Sacrifice ending in Origins. When you import any save with that ending into Awakening, the game just awkwardly pretends it didn't happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never got Awakenings for that reason, since I sacrificed my Warden and it felt like some kind of fanmade alt-universe expansion to keep playing.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I just make Alistair king and then have him kill himself

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I never got Awakenings for that reason, since I sacrificed my Warden and it felt like some kind of fanmade alt-universe expansion to keep playing.

Generic American posted:

Pretty sure it stands for the Ultimate Sacrifice ending in Origins. When you import any save with that ending into Awakening, the game just awkwardly pretends it didn't happen.

There is a US option for Awakening that lets you play as a newly arrived Orlesian Warden with the DA:O Warden being canonically dead. It has some fun dialogue, since you arrive after the Blight is already over, you slacker, and all the Fereldens kinda hate your guts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Smol posted:

I suppose you might miss Nathaniel’s quest in some histories?

Yeah, there are definitely a few bits that are keyed to certain decisions based on Awakening, but that's one of the only two major ones; not doing it opens up a side quest in Act 2, doing it opens one in Act 3. The other one is saving Amaranthine/Vigil's Keep, which unlocks one of two side quests in Act I.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

There is a US option for Awakening that lets you play as a newly arrived Orlesian Warden with the DA:O Warden being canonically dead. It has some fun dialogue, since you arrive after the Blight is already over, you slacker, and all the Fereldens kinda hate your guts.

Yeah, I really like the Warden from Origins being dead. Bioware can't really do anything more with them anyways, and the sacrifice feels more meaningful. Also the Orlesian Gray Warden is SUPER fun to play as, because as you mentioned everyone is super cold to you for "invading" them and still dealing with all that just happened.

Also you can make him Stroud and it kind of works and makes Stroud far more connected to the plot, laff.

Thinking through it, it's kind of weird how much more the City Elf impacts the world compared to everyone else.

Human Noble? Fergus lives even if you didn't go Noble. Amaranthine is given to the Wardens regardless. Howe still gets murdered. Your family is avenged even without you.

Mage? There's a really weird piece about the Circle being freed by Ferelden's rulers which is immediately slapped down by the Chantry.

Dalish? Your clan gets the Hinterlands. Ok, but you still avoid everyone else and it's never spoken of again.

Noble? You become a Paragon and Orzammar is never spoken of again.

Commoner? You become a Paragon and Orzammar is never spoken of again.

City Elf? The Alienage gets a Bann, and the people of Ferelden are weird about honoring strength/action and you've massively changed the perception of Elves. In Awakening and all further Dragon Age content it's revealed Elves in Ferelden are now largely treated as equals due to your actions/the way Ferelden's view hard work/the nobility pushing it.

Like huge changes that the game goes back to reference again and again.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 24, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The OG Warden was dead anyway for not being a voiced character. Even if Bioware was cranking out DA games like they were Assassin's Creed, the DA:O Warden would be relegated to the codex ghetto.

That said, one of the most impressive and least remarked things about both DA series and the ME Trilogy is how well they carried player canonicity across games. There's a lot of quibbling to be done over how impactful various choices actually were, but being able to enjoy specific callbacks to choices my character made two games and seven years ago never stopped being cool. The decade long decision threes that were the Krogen and Quarian/Geth storylines remain some of the best and most momentous gaming I've ever experienced.

Makes it all the more depressing that we'll probably never see anything like that again.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Stroud supposed to represent the Orlesian Warden in DA2 and Inquisition? If so, that’d give me a reason to play that way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Stroud appears in DA2 if you get Bethany or Carver to join the Grey Wardens. Otherwise he appears at the end of Act 2 if Alistair isn't a Grey Warden. That's it, and he can show up whether the Warden was Ferelden or Orlesian.

He's basically just a Warden rep if neither Alistair or Loghain can fill the role. Not sure why they didn't just reuse Riordan from Origins, to be honest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Doesn't Riordan always die in the Siege of Denerim?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Skippy McPants posted:

As far as I remember, though, you only get to use the Orlesian Warden-Commander as a fresh game with no imported save.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

marshmallow creep posted:

Doesn't Riordan always die in the Siege of Denerim?

Yeah

He went out beautiful though. Tore a hole in the Archdemon’s wing

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Stroud appears in DA2 if you get Bethany or Carver to join the Grey Wardens. Otherwise he appears at the end of Act 2 if Alistair isn't a Grey Warden. That's it, and he can show up whether the Warden was Ferelden or Orlesian.

He's basically just a Warden rep if neither Alistair or Loghain can fill the role. Not sure why they didn't just reuse Riordan from Origins, to be honest.

Yeah, he's the proverbial standin Warden.

But he's Orlesian, spends a lot of time in Ferelden, is a Commander and could be the Commander of Vigil's Keep. It's an easy way to give the character more agency/development. He's another one of our characters!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So if Alastair's still alive he's definitely still a Warden regardless of anything else, I don't remember there being a way to undo the Grey Warden Blood Sip.

Not really an ideal trait in a king.

Does it pass to the offspring? As a king he is duty bound to produce an heir.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

E: Nevermind.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So if Alastair's still alive he's definitely still a Warden regardless of anything else, I don't remember there being a way to undo the Grey Warden Blood Sip.

Not really an ideal trait in a king.

Does it pass to the offspring? As a king he is duty bound to produce an heir.

Both Alistair and Anora are implied/are all but barren. Wardens explicitly can't have children (except potentially Morrigans through her ritual), and one of the DLC goes into how Cailin was on the verge of divorcing Anora because of fertility issues.

No matter who's on the throne, any combination of Alistair/Anora/Human Noble Warden doesn't have bio kids and its explicitly an upcoming source of political instability in Fereldan mentioned during side stuff in 2 and Inq.

There is some stuff that contradicts this, like Alistair's mother being a Grey Warden who got 'un-Wardened' in a book and then had him. But generally the series has held that being a Warden cuts your life expectancy and ability to have kids.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

Both Alistair and Anora are implied/are all but barren. Wardens explicitly can't have children (except potentially Morrigans through her ritual), and one of the DLC goes into how Cailin was on the verge of divorcing Anora because of fertility issues.

No matter who's on the throne, any combination of Alistair/Anora/Human Noble Warden doesn't have bio kids and its explicitly an upcoming source of political instability in Fereldan mentioned during side stuff in 2 and Inq.

There is some stuff that contradicts this, like Alistair's mother being a Grey Warden who got 'un-Wardened' in a book and then had him. But generally the series has held that being a Warden cuts your life expectancy and ability to have kids.

It's possible Cailan was impotent, not Anora. :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zore posted:

one of the DLC goes into how Cailin was on the verge of divorcing Anora because of fertility issues.

It's still funny to me that Return to Ostagar firmly implanted "Anora is infertile" into the Dragon Age lore. Yeah, Anora didn't produce a child. But neither did Cailan.

Edit: ^Ha :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raygereio posted:

It's still funny to me that Return to Ostagar firmly implanted "Anora is infertile" into the Dragon Age lore. Yeah, Anora didn't produce a child. But neither did Cailan.

Edit: ^Ha :v:

Cythereal posted:

It's possible Cailan was impotent, not Anora. :v:

Tbf, that's why I said it was implied and didn't specify which of them was infertile! Also the fact she hasn't had a kid over the next decade regardless of world state means its a pretty strong implication at this point.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Zore posted:

Tbf, that's why I said it was implied and didn't specify which of them was infertile! Also the fact she hasn't had a kid over the next decade regardless of world state means its a pretty strong implication at this point.

It would have been a funny detail, but yeah there's no way Anora wouldn't have secured her dynasty with a child if she could have. That lady plays for keeps.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Alistair was impotent that Dark Ritual sure would have fallen on its face a little. :v:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Maybe there is an heir and we just don't see them. DAI doesn't go too deep into ferelden politics anyway. All the focus is on the Orlesian civil war

E: oh poo poo I bet bioware specifically avoided showing an heir because one outcome is for the warden to be the royal consort and some people would probably be mad that their character had a kid or something

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
In an interview they actually confirmed that they removed the whole "Cailan is leaving his wife due to infertility" thing from the story, so I think its inclusion in the DLC is just an oversight instead of hidden canon

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Inq flat out says theres no heir in side dialogue that never gets any focus. There are concerns about what this means. I'm fairly sure this dialogue happened even in my imported solo anora ruler game.

Probably best to just assume all three potential sides (the human noble, allistar, and anora) are all infertile or have very very low fertility.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zore posted:

Uh, there are very much so potential bio kids for the lineage.

femanything/Alistair can have Alistair impregnate Morrigan, which would make Kieran a Theirin.

If it's femNoble, you can even marry Alistair and know all about Kieran post Inquisiton. And likely still have the political clout as the HoF to legitimize him. Hell, as others have already kinda said, Anora plays for keeps, and she'd happily legitimize Kieran if it meant holding her power.

Like he's not acknowledged, but it's probably the biggest issue of any sort of Ferelden Civil War/Ferelden Civil Issues plotline in future Dragon Age games. There was a plot point that people can choose that leads to another member of the Theirin house.

Now, getting Morrigan to give up Kieran or agree to all this would be another issue. But eh, especially if she's still friends with Alistair/femnobHoF Queen I could see that arc happening.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 25, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
After half the trouble that Connor caused, maybe illegitimate kids in Fereldan nobility should be a no-no.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Connor is legit though? It's just he was an apostate. Alistair's the example of an illegitimate child and he turned out alright

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nobility and illegitimate children go together almost as well as nobility and incest.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, he's an aspect that the major players know about ( Alistair/femnoble would know. Anora would likely have been told ), would solve that issue quickly, doesn't have OG anymore, and would be of age roughly when this becomes a problem.

He'd just need to be legitimized, which Alistair/Anora/femNoble would all do. It's just a question of what's Morrigan up to at that time. But hell, she seems to have her aspirations dashed pretty loving thoroughly, and she seems pretty mellowed with age. Make my son the King isn't the worst loving rebound.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I downloaded Inquisition on my PS5 last night to see if loading and frame pacing issues were improved, and holy poo poo it's terrible. It looks significantly worse than it does on a PS4 Pro. There's stuttering between drat near every frame, and there's weird aliasing issues that weren't present or at least noticeable before. I played a little on my Pro in September so it's not my memory making me think it looked better.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
laff, I went into this run thinking I'd do a redo of my fCE who romanced Alistair, recruited Loghain and made Alistair King, then did the US.

I'm a fDwarf Commoner who is probably going to romance Alistair, leave him in the Wardens, and have him knock up Morrigan.

What a loving dumb game, I love it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How do you keep Alistair in the wardens? I thought the choices are just him being king, dying, or running away?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

How do you keep Alistair in the wardens? I thought the choices are just him being king, dying, or running away?

When you talk to Anora mention you'll support her. If Alistair is hardened he'll take a small rep loss, but nothing huge. If he's not he's relieved, he doesn't want to be King.

At the Landsmeet you must kill Loghain.

Anora will ask Alistair to give up his titles, he'll do so gladly.

He shows up in Awakening, 2, and Inquisition as the Warden standin. I think he shows up instead of Stroud in 2? He also mentions still being with you if you romanced him in Origins, and being worried about your disappearance to the Inquisitor.

He's also got a lot of lines for Kieran if he knocked up Morrigan. And they also talk about you.

Mind you this means THE CHOICE is Alistair or Hawke, so it's actually REAL hosed UP poo poo.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 26, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

VostokProgram posted:

Execute Loghain and support Anora so that she pardons Alistair and has him renounce all claims to the throne.

https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Possible_Landsmeet_Outcomes

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Rookersh posted:

Mind you this means THE CHOICE is Alistair or Hawke, so it's actually REAL hosed UP poo poo.
Am I the only one who didn't hesitate to chuck Hawke under the bus? Maybe it's because my Hawkes felt less like "my" character than the other 2 games because there was so much less to customize about the character (race, background etc.), but I didn't develop much affection for them at all.

The only downside for me was how incredibly sad it makes Varric.

e: vvv lol exactly

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 26, 2020

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stroop There It Is posted:

Am I the only one who didn't hesitate to chuck Hawke under the bus? Maybe it's because my Hawkes felt less like "my" character than because there was so much less to customize about the character (race, background etc.), but I didn't develop much affection for them at all.

The only downside for me was how incredibly sad it makes Varric.

Oh I'm the same way, Hawke exists to die for the world state, and their whole life was a shame.

I just know a lot of people value their Hawke.

Like Alistair or Hawke? Sorry Hawke. Loghain or Hawke? SORRY HAWKE. Stroud or Hawke? AGAIN THE WARDENS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THEN YOU. GOODBYE HAWKE. YOU hosed EVERYTING UP AND NOW DIE TO SAVE THE WORLD. THANK.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

silly!Hawke is one of the best characters in the TheDAS. Up there with Varric, Solas and Loghain.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

silly!Hawke is one of the best characters in the TheDAS. Up there with Varric, Solas and Loghain.

Sure, the world is ending though, and we might be entering into plural Blights with a lot of bad poo poo going down.

We kinda need every Warden we can get. Hawke is just a rando with a horrific string of luck. Best they can do on the way out is help us save the world. They are replaceable, the Wardens aren't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I also always sacrifice Hawke.