Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

Making oleo saccharum. What am I drinkin tonight?

Large format or individual cocktail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Use orange oleo as the sweetener in an old fashioned, or have it with sherry/vermouth and seltzer for a trendy low-proof highball.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've ended up with more cognac then usual, any good recipes other then a side car or vieux carre? I often find cognac can get lost in a lot of cocktails, so bonus points if it's actually highlighting the spirit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thank you all for the recommendations!

No Cynar because I wasn't ready to drop $50 on something I've never tasted. I'll look for it at a bar next time I'm out, which at this pace will be never.

Amaro Montenegro is phenomenal. Took a small sip and immediately poured a healthy glass.

The Giffard pamplemousse has great flavor, but it's insanely sweet. I'll try it with soda water tomorrow. Any good recipes for it?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Making Mai Tais for me and the mum on Thanksgiving but I'm having a bitch of a time finding Ogreat syrup. Any tips on making your own? I have orange blossom water and simple syrup on hand.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Flopsy posted:

Making Mai Tais for me and the mum on Thanksgiving but I'm having a bitch of a time finding Ogreat syrup. Any tips on making your own? I have orange blossom water and simple syrup on hand.

Quick and dirty, get some blanched slivered almonds. Toast em in the oven. Blend them with the simple syrup in the blender. Strain out the solids. Add 1/2-1tsp Orange blossom water. Might need to reduce it a bit depending on how much water is in your simple.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Bandit posted:

Quick and dirty, get some blanched slivered almonds. Toast em in the oven. Blend them with the simple syrup in the blender. Strain out the solids. Add 1/2-1tsp Orange blossom water. Might need to reduce it a bit depending on how much water is in your simple.

Gotcha. You're a godsend.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

In a pinch you can just dissolve sugar into commercial almond milk. That stuff is pretty shelf stable so I always keep a carton around for unexpected orgeat making.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Made some preserved citrus slices yesterday. It’s easy to do, and they’re so nice! Basically, slice your citrus into discs as thin as you can manage. Place them on a lightly oiled baking sheet (do two sheets, it’s a lot of time invested for not a ton of quantity in return,) with about two inches between each disc. Dust each slice with sugar and bake at 170 until totally dried. This can take a long time but they will not burn at this temp- I baked mine for over six hours.

Once you’re done, you can just throw them in a tupperware and they’ll be shelf stable for a few weeks.

They’re beautiful- some of mine caramelized to the point that the citrus flesh looks like stained glass- and tasty, with a stimulating bittersweet citrus kick. Throwing a preserved orange disc into a negroni is my new move, preferred to a fresh peel. They also make a pretty garnish resting on top of a large ice cube in a sidecar or sour.

Also, you can string them along with some fresh cranberries for a pretty holiday garland.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

tonedef131 posted:

In a pinch you can just dissolve sugar into commercial almond milk. That stuff is pretty shelf stable so I always keep a carton around for unexpected orgeat making.

This does indeed work. Though I also keep a bottle Trader Vic's for emergencies.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does Cynar have red food coloring? I’m allergic to Campari and trying to find something stronger than Aperol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I saw this on a restaurant placemark in Google Earth randomly and I would love to know how to reproduce this color:

None of the things on their cocktail menu sound like a match for this (https://www.barpazzo.com/wp-content/uploads/barpazzo_currentmenu.pdf), but maybe I'm wrong.

Seems like most red things (grenadine, Campari, etc) tend more toward the orange side than this?

(I have a bugger of a time even just trying to make an aviation look good, so I'm probably getting way too ambitious here)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I saw this on a restaurant placemark in Google Earth randomly and I would love to know how to reproduce this color:

None of the things on their cocktail menu sound like a match for this (https://www.barpazzo.com/wp-content/uploads/barpazzo_currentmenu.pdf), but maybe I'm wrong.

Seems like most red things (grenadine, Campari, etc) tend more toward the orange side than this?

(I have a bugger of a time even just trying to make an aviation look good, so I'm probably getting way too ambitious here)

This looks like the color of a Cosmopolitan, and the glass type and garnish would track with that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

The Giffard pamplemousse has great flavor, but it's insanely sweet. I'll try it with soda water tomorrow. Any good recipes for it?

Update: Giffard must use a thickener like glycerine, this thing is insane. Even a barspoon of this thickens a spritz to an extreme degree. Not bad, as it reduces the need for excess sugar, but it makes it difficult to amp up the grapefruit flavor all else equal.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Made some preserved citrus slices yesterday. It’s easy to do, and they’re so nice! Basically, slice your citrus into discs as thin as you can manage. Place them on a lightly oiled baking sheet (do two sheets, it’s a lot of time invested for not a ton of quantity in return,) with about two inches between each disc. Dust each slice with sugar and bake at 170 until totally dried. This can take a long time but they will not burn at this temp- I baked mine for over six hours.

Thank you friend! I bought a dehydrator this year, and this is perfect timing to fancy up my thanksgiving cocktail (Dave Arnold's honeycrisp rum shake - I'm thinking lime slices)

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Data Graham posted:

If you make a red shiso syrup it'll look greenish/brown. When you add citrus it'll turn that color. I'll look to see if I have any pictures or videos of it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Interesting. It's gotta be cranberry I guess, just occam's-razoring it. Which works great for me since I just got some of the Simply not-from-concentrate for the zoomsgiving cranberry margaritas my brother's got planned :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does Cynar have red food coloring? I’m allergic to Campari and trying to find something stronger than Aperol

A bit of caramel color, but no cochineal or anything like that.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Any good no-abv punch recipes floating around? My work is staying in for our Christmas party this year, we’re bringing in a food truck and I’ve been tasked with drinks. I’m making USS Richmond, but about half the shop doesn’t drink for one reason or another so I would like to make something that is of a similar flavor profile for them.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
My chef at work is allergic to cochineal as well and likes Montanaro Aperitivo as a Campari replacement. It's quite a bit cheaper, with a nicely rounded berry flavor instead of being a straight up bitter orange thing. Makes a really nice negroni.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A bit of caramel color, but no cochineal or anything like that.

I had thought Campari no longer has cochineal in it either? Depending on how old the bottle is it might be the cochineal or the substitute that you're reacting too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Interesting. It's gotta be cranberry I guess, just occam's-razoring it. Which works great for me since I just got some of the Simply not-from-concentrate for the zoomsgiving cranberry margaritas my brother's got planned :v:

Yes it’s the Cranberry. I make cosmos all the time for my mom and her friends and adding like 1/4 of an oz cranberry juice to citron vodka, Contreiu, lime juice turns it a light pink color. Use good ingredient tho, the cranberry juice I use is darker in color and it turns out light in the mixed drink

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Bandit posted:

If you make a red shiso syrup it'll look greenish/brown. When you add citrus it'll turn that color. I'll look to see if I have any pictures or videos of it.

Close to the same color with butterfly pea flower tea, which can be had on Amazon for :10bux:

Seen here with and without citrus

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Interesting, when I was using BFP in cocktails it was super blue and turned into a royal purple color with citrus.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Data Graham posted:

That is definitely the Prickly Pear - lists Cactus Pear Puree as an ingredient. Prickly pear puree / juice is that electric pink color like none other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah, neat. I read "puree" and thought "no way is it going to end up that clear". But I guess anything can be strained enough if you believe in yourself

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
You can get color like that with a blueberry simple syrup.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I cannot stop staring at that horrific lime

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm sure it's okay, it was probably in the fridge for only two or three days after they juiced the other half.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anyone have recommendations for rosemary, sage or thyme cocktails?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Looking for some advice regarding orange liqueurs.

So, the three main ones used in most drinks are triple sec, orange curaçao, and Cointreau. As I understand it, they aren’t completely interchangeable, but there are certain drinks where you can switch out one for another.

I’m not in a place where I want to keep all three stocked at the moment, so I was hoping someone could tell me which is the most versatile. That is, which one should I get if I only want one of the three?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Laocius posted:

So, the three main ones used in most drinks are triple sec, orange curaçao, and Cointreau. As I understand it, they aren’t completely interchangeable, but there are certain drinks where you can switch out one for another.

I’m not in a place where I want to keep all three stocked at the moment, so I was hoping someone could tell me which is the most versatile. That is, which one should I get if I only want one of the three?

They are, kinda, all interchangeable. I think it depends more on the caliber of drinks you are looking to make. Bottom shelf, super cheap triple sec is fine if you are batching out margaritas for 50 of your closest friends. (I hope you are not doing this, currently). I prefer Ferrand Dry Curaçao for most drinks. Grand Marnier is quite nice, even on it's own. Cointreau is also a solid choice. There are more esoteric choices that use bases of agave, brandy, etc., and each will bring their own qualities to the party, but might not work for everything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like Grand Marnier best personally but it's got a dark color so that limits its versatility in cocktails where look is important.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah I just keep Grand Marnier stocked at home.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I use Cointreau and Grand Mariner as triple sec equivalents with the Grand being more limited use but the Cointreau is a go to.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Grand Marnier is a cognac based curaçao and has a weight to it that is sometimes inappropriate. The flavor is fantastic thought, and if the drink can carry the weight there really isn’t a better choice.

Cointreau is a high end triple sec that is really nice, but if you can find luxardos triplum it’s usually cheaper and just as good. Lately I’ve been using lazzaroni triplo and it’s fantastic as well.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Luxardo Triplum is a great choice if you want to just have one orange liqueur. It's quite cheap and surprisingly decent. Clement's Creole Shrubb, while being neither a shrub nor Creole in origin, is a really good agricole-based orange liqueur as well, for a fair bit cheaper than Cointreau.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Laocius posted:

I have had lots of them on my home bar at some point over the years. For a while my default was Cointreau, I found that was what I reached for most often, and felt most compelled to replace when it was empty.

I have been paring down my bottles for some time now, it gets harder and harder to justify a huge collection when I don't go through them fast enough. Orange liqueur hasn't made the cut. Maybe try making some margaritas and sidecars with just simple syrup instead of orange liqueur and see if it's something you can't live without. (Although I guess they aren't margaritas or sidecars at that point)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don’t drink, I just pare down my bottles

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My preference on the orange liqueur front is for the Pierre Ferrand dry curacao. Generally quite versatile, it and the luxardo maraschino liqueur are probably my two most highly used.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
You definitely need to stock an orange liqueur to make cocktails at home (it's got to be the most frequently called-for liqueur, no?), but yeah you can get away with just one. I keep Cointreau in the summer for margaritas and white ladies, and Grand Marnier in the winter for sidecars. They really are both the best of their categories, but Luxardo and Ferrand are both good, too.