Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/21/warhammer-preview-online-decadence-decay/

So the first of today's AoS reveals is a Daves of Darkness warband for Underworlds, Khagra's Ravagers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IpoFeSD34

The next reveal is the return of... Sigvald. Who rocks an amazing Glam Rock look to him.

The video is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4z4Wu9SSw

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dark Angels cover is awesome.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Those new Slaaneshi knights are excellent!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm glad that Sigvald was too fabulous to die! Those Slaanesh mortals look excellent.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
rad but also why'd they give him pants?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

These aren't just any pants. They're Slaaneshi pants. They're very comfortable.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That Slaves warband is amazing.

And Sigvald is obviously magnificent. :agesilaus:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

He's not wearing pants. Look closer his thighs are still exposed.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what terrible power was invoked to make every release from now on awesome AoS Slaanesh models but I approve

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It appears this has been hinted at since Malign Portents

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

here it do. Thanks to everyone who gave me input on these guys, I'm both excited and intimidated right now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That new Underworlds season name is going to annoy the living gently caress out of me all year.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

drat, that new Sigvald figure is just so fabulous. If he has rules for Slaves to Darkness, I may be starting a new army.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Hell yeah plastic treebeard!!!!!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Talas posted:

drat, that new Sigvald figure is just so fabulous. If he has rules for Slaves to Darkness, I may be starting a new army.

He's going to Hedonites of Slaanesh which to be honest is an army that needs more models. Its not the worst in terms of lacking diversity but when contrasted with the other monogod factions it doesnt look good. Especially the lack of mortals, this fills an oft-requested niche.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Prices of the new Battleforces were just posted in another forum, US$210 and US$200 for Gitz. According to those people, the equivalences if you want to buy normally:

Fatesworn Host is US$312 in contents.
Barak-Nar is US$308 in contents.
Meatgrinder Warglutt is US$308 in contents.
Fungal Loonhorde is US$270 in contents.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talas posted:

Prices of the new Battleforces were just posted in another forum, US$210 and US$200 for Gitz. According to those people, the equivalences if you want to buy normally:

Fatesworn Host is US$312 in contents.
Barak-Nar is US$308 in contents.
Meatgrinder Warglutt is US$308 in contents.
Fungal Loonhorde is US$270 in contents.

Ok I freaked out for a second cause I thought the prices for the things were the later ones you posted.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So I'm kind of interested in starting a Warhammer Army.

I am choosing mostly based on aesthetics and lore, but I would kinda like it to be viable in a competitive sense. It doesn't have to be perfectly balanced or whatever, I just want to have a fighting chance in most games while I look at the cool models. I think it helps--from what I understand--that AOS is good about this as a game generally, anyway. I really like building stuff and have done a few successful minor conversions/mods with the space marines; I am really enjoying painting but I'm a complete newb.

Mostly what I'm thinking is that I want to make my choice based entirely on the coolest set pieces.

So here's what I'm looking at:

Skaven - I kind of like the idea of doing a horde army because I have a fairly elite 40k army. I like the artillery and big mutant rats with gun arms and stuff. I am not as big of a fan of the clan rats and such, and I don't like the models of the Verminlords that much. If I liked Verminlords more, this would probably be a lock. So it's like--I *really* like the Stormfiends and Jezzails and catapults and such, but everything on either side of that is kind of meh.

Orruks - I like the Ironjawz a lot. I like their troops with the busted-up armor and I love the Maw-Krusha dragon thing. The amount of troops here seem extremely doable and something that I wouldn't feel like I would rush through, which I'm afraid of doing with a horde army. Also I like that they ride boars.

Ogor Mawtribes - This is all about the Beast Riders for me. I love the big dumb mammoth things. The lore is really cool and I like that the ogors are just big angry, hungry powerlifters. I pretty much like *all* the models here, but just nothing quite as much as I like the Maw-Krusha, and idk, the way the army plays seems almost a little too simplistic from what I understand (it seems like it's just show up in the middle and fight).

Stormcast Eternals - I don't want to be basic and just be the guy who likes the Space Marines and the Fantasy Space Marines...but I kind of am that bitch. I like big chunky armor dudes, what can I say. This is really similar to the Mawtribes for me, where it all is pretty cool, and I like their big set pieces a lot...though I think individually I like the Orruk stuff a little more?

Kharadron Overlords - The steampunk armor thing is really loving cool and I forget I like these guys all the time, but I do. I love the Ironclads and the other ships.

I don't know. Writing that out, I think I'm leaning toward Orruks now. But I've changed my mind a dozen times over the past week or so. I'd welcome any kind of thoughts at all! You guys know the hidden pitfalls and secret treasures of every army.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 24, 2020

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stormcasts are actually a fairly unpopular army, despite GW's doggedly stubborn attempts at trying to make fantasy space marines popular for five years now. So you don't have to worry about being "basic". Plus, they're in almost all the starters, so they are really cheap secondhand on Ebay.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ogor Mawtribes are getting a christmas box up for preorder this weekend which looks like a killer way to hit the ground running.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/16/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battleforces-incoming/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

Stormcasts are actually a fairly unpopular army, despite GW's doggedly stubborn attempts at trying to make fantasy space marines popular for five years now. So you don't have to worry about being "basic". Plus, they're in almost all the starters, so they are really cheap secondhand on Ebay.

They are not unpopular. But they don't have the hegemony that Space Marines have. Which is a good thing.

Broken Realms Morathi has also given Stormcast some great new rules.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

yeah we're not seeing a new kind of knight model every couple of months for one thing.

They're nowhere near as badly off as Marines were for most of 8th but they're still really suffering from the early codex problem.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

yeah we're not seeing a new kind of knight model every couple of months for one thing.

They're nowhere near as badly off as Marines were for most of 8th but they're still really suffering from the early codex problem.

Yeah which Broken Realms Morathi helps with as it gives them some new decent default abilities.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Magic posted:

Kharadron Overlords - The steampunk armor thing is really loving cool and I forget I like these guys all the time, but I do. I love the Ironclads and the other ships.

I don't know. Writing that out, I think I'm leaning toward Orruks now. But I've changed my mind a dozen times over the past week or so. I'd welcome any kind of thoughts at all! You guys know the hidden pitfalls and secret treasures of every army.

I play KO and I really love the playstyle. I am also a dwarf nerd so that helps.

On the table most armies aren't ready to have their potency completely neutered by cannon fire and units like thunderers obliterating their heavy hitters from a safe distance. Couple this with being able to gently caress off in your boat and repeat that fire from safety and you've got a spicy army. They're also great at the objective game since your guys are tough, rock decent to excellent armour and are insanely mobile.

From a painting/collecting perspective they're also good because they're low model count, easy to paint up and get looking great and also have the capacity to take a lot of cool looking centrepiece models. I play a Zilfin list with an Ironclad, one or two frigates and one or two gunhaulers with however many thunderers I can cram in for the points. Painting the boats is really fun and you can get some great results with little more than a few metals, plenty of wash and a distinctive scheme for your hull and portholes.

You can probably tell I'm recommending the army as I love it, but it's very different to other armies in aos as it's a pretty choppy game. You also don't have magic (but do have magic defence) which might skew you away since it's a fun phase, but if you like the idea of firing broadsides at a demon from hell before ramming it with a with a torpedo strapped to your hull then you will like this army.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RagnarokAngel posted:

Ogor Mawtribes are getting a christmas box up for preorder this weekend which looks like a killer way to hit the ground running.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/16/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battleforces-incoming/

The Ogors look like it's mostly Gutbusters? Lack of Raiders is kinda lame imo

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

JBP posted:

You can probably tell I'm recommending the army as I love it, but it's very different to other armies in aos as it's a pretty choppy game. You also don't have magic (but do have magic defence) which might skew you away since it's a fun phase, but if you like the idea of firing broadsides at a demon from hell before ramming it with a with a torpedo strapped to your hull then you will like this army.
You forgot the "spell in a bottle". I got hit really hard by a Purple Sun once because I forgot to check my opponent's list. It was a casual game, but it still hurts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Talas posted:

You forgot the "spell in a bottle". I got hit really hard by a Purple Sun once because I forgot to check my opponent's list. It was a casual game, but it still hurts.

Yeah I didn't count it because it's not like we have wizards but spell in a bottle is cool. I generally don't take it though because I like the admiral and endrinmaster for my army.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is the start collecting the best start for Stormcast Eternals?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yes that is in the name.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes that is in the name.

Some start collecting boxes are dogshit and not in fact the best option for someone starting out collecting.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Check out Soul Wars and its little brothers too, if you know anyone that wants nighthaunt or can sell them online.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

You can find a bunch of halfs of Soul Wars, Tempest of Souls, or Storm Strike boxes on ebay.

Or yeah, if you can find someone to take the Nighthaunts halfs, that would be better.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

So I'm kind of interested in starting a Warhammer Army.

Hello, resident idiot here. From the sounds of it you definitely want a low model count army. I'd rule out Skaven out since you're less interested in some of their centerpiece models, but you CAN run a Clans Skyre army and just use Stormfiends and whatever tools you like to avoid having to paint a ton of lovely clanrat sculpts.

Right now, it's easiest to collect Stormcast and Kharadron. Stormcast have a ton of start collecting sets and easy build kits to round out an army. Get half of a Soul Wars box and a few easy builds to round out the infantry forces, and you're on the way. Kharadron have the christmas battleforce coming up with looks pretty solid for them - I'd add a box of infantry to it to ride around in the frigate, or another box of Endrinriggers to get 1000 points dead on and run them as Barak Urbaz to make your Gunhaulers core.

I can definitely talk more about Stormcast since I used to play them a fair bit, if you're interested. They're not the strongest army but they play simply and can do well.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Stormcasts can be simple or complex depending on the style of play you like. Do you like to simply hit stuff? Here's the Warrior chamber. Do you like to shoot stuff? Here's the Vanguard chamber. Do you like magic? Here's the Sacrosant chamber. How about some monsters? Here's the Extremis chamber.

There's quite a lot of options, some good, some bad. Thankfully, rules change from time to time, so a bad unit can be good later on.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Okay, man! You guys have had tons of great input. Thanks to everyone who said anything about it!

And I’ve been reading articles and stuff. I’m still making up my mind but I’ve narrowed it slightly.

So I am putting together a 40K army of Deathwatch, who are fun and have a lot of fluff, but man I really obsess a lot about wargear and strategems and I’d like to have whatever AOS army I do have less of that.

So Skaven seem out because there’s just so much to keep up with.

On the flip side, Ogors seem too simplistic. I do like to obsess a little bit.

Ironjawz seem like the sweet spot between models, strategy, and complexity, but I guess I don’t like the really hordey bits of the Orruks as much. Can I just field Ardboyz and the boar riders and the stuff that looks like them?

Kharadron also is what I like—more elite, so less to worry about—but man, they seem like you really have to know their strats inside and out. Maybe? Those armored dwarves really speak to me.

Stormcast is kind of a distant third. I don’t quite like any of their stuff as much as I like the Kharadron or Ironjawz, though they’re quite good even so.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Stormcasts are weird to get into because all of the suggested starting set options have at least one unit that doesn't get enough miniatures to be fielded at the proper size. Soul Wars only gives you 8 Sequitors and 3 Evocators, Thunderstrike Brotherhood gives you three Paladins, Vanguard gives you 3 Gryph Hounds.

The Broken Realms set actually gives you the proper amount of minis but also Judicators are probably the worst looking stormcasts, and Castigators are just plain not a good unit.

Gryph hounds are all good boys though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Magic posted:

Ironjawz seem like the sweet spot between models, strategy, and complexity, but I guess I don’t like the really hordey bits of the Orruks as much. Can I just field Ardboyz and the boar riders and the stuff that looks like them?

Ironjawz are actually the elite. Ardboys are the fodder units and are comparable to Stormcast in terms of statline. They just lack Stormcasts versatility, and instead focus on being super good at bashing. Two start collecting Ironjawz gives 940 points of units. Add some stuff like a Mega-Boss or some Brutes and you can make a pretty fancy army.

The Ironjawz can also just team up with the Bonesplitta's which are the more Hordey Orruks. But Ironjawz can be played on their own in two different ways.

Some fiction has come out that also implies that Ironjawz will get some new stuff maybe even their god Gorkamorka.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 26, 2020

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Here's a nice short video of a match if you want to see how the orruks play. In this case, the player is using "Big Waaagh!", but he's using Ironjawz units:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjK9eepIAQw

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

Okay, man! You guys have had tons of great input. Thanks to everyone who said anything about it!

And I’ve been reading articles and stuff. I’m still making up my mind but I’ve narrowed it slightly.

So I am putting together a 40K army of Deathwatch, who are fun and have a lot of fluff, but man I really obsess a lot about wargear and strategems and I’d like to have whatever AOS army I do have less of that.

So Skaven seem out because there’s just so much to keep up with.

On the flip side, Ogors seem too simplistic. I do like to obsess a little bit.

Kharadron also is what I like—more elite, so less to worry about—but man, they seem like you really have to know their strats inside and out. Maybe? Those armored dwarves really speak to me.

Stormcast is kind of a distant third. I don’t quite like any of their stuff as much as I like the Kharadron or Ironjawz, though they’re quite good even so.

Ill be honest I dont think any army is particularly more complicated than another. You have to learn synergy in any case but this isnt 40k where theres a list of 20 strategems for your army.

This isnt to say the game isn't complex, it just doesnt drastically change army to army in the same way 40k does. Most units have 2-3 weapon choices which are reasonably easy to determine which does what, while most only have 1 weapon.

You can pretty safely lean on whatever army you think looks cool or has the coolest concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Tzeentch tho