Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BabelFish posted:

https://www.energicamotor.com/energica-eva-esseesse9-old-school-electric-motorcycle/

Comes with DC fast charging and a bigger battery option, but the AC charge rate is lower. Has a chain and reduction gears so it’s louder than the zero, but some people really like the whine it makes. Dealer network is not as good as Zero in the US, but they’re working on it.

Energica makes cool stuff, but still not quite what I was thinking. I was thinking more https://rgnt-motorcycles.com/, but I don't know if that's a real thing that will exist in the world for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
get an onyx, ask them to program the throttle for OHV use, have a bike that can buck you off from a standing start that you don't have to insure and can ride wearing a helmet made by Bontrager instead of by Shoei.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Greg12 posted:

get an onyx, ask them to program the throttle for OHV use, have a bike that can buck you off from a standing start that you don't have to insure and can ride wearing a helmet made by Bontrager instead of by Shoei.

Overhead valves...?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Overhead valves...?

Off-Highway Use :911:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Off Highway Vehicle. I'm not sure why it's "highway" because you can't ride them on any public road. Basically unplated dirt bikes and such.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The legal definition of a highway is any street used by the general public.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The Onyx and the other mopeds are super cool.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I took your advice guys and I completely ignored it and bought another Harley.

Here's the Dyna Wide Glide

Here is me in full ATGATT

And here she is back in my garage. I named her Albastru or Big Blue in English.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's the first time that bike has had someone in a one piece racing suit riding it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I greatly respect any man who rides a cruiser in a one-piece suit. almost as much as I respect the guy I've seen around here a few times riding a Honda jazz in full racing gear

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Thanks for the kind words. I've gotten used to the one piece and it's just comfortable to me but yeah I know it's out of place in the harley world... don't care.

So funny story with that Harley. I picked it up from a local dealership and instantly felt a need to ride it for 900 miles or so. Great bike. But I decided to take it in to the Harley Dealer's service department for a $75 inspection since I did plan to do some really long trips on it, and to my surprise they came back with over $2,000 in repairs. Well in MD dealers have to do a 30 day 1000 mile warranty so I called up my sales guy and was like, hey looks like I need new gaskets and a fork adjustment and I'm under 1,000 miles and he was like, "why do you think it needs all that" ... "well I had it inspected" ... "who exactly inspected it?".... "well, by Jacob in your service department".... "let me put you on hold" ... "ok all of that is covered under the warranty"

Moral: If you buy your bike from a dealer have them reinspect it before your warranty period runs out.

Moral 2: Harleys are really really cool if you're not obsessed with raw numbers or performance or reliability. I mean that sincerely, they are special bikes they just happen to be run by an inept corporation. Imagine if there was a company that still built '67 Camaros and that's basically Harley.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oceanlife posted:

Imagine if there was a company that still built '67 Camaros and that's basically Harley.

That's how I've always thought about it, too. The modern crash test and other standards that force out older cars don't have nearly as much sway with motorcycles so you can buy some really ancient machines right off the show room floor and have a good time doing it, too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

Thanks for the kind words. I've gotten used to the one piece and it's just comfortable to me but yeah I know it's out of place in the harley world... don't care.

So funny story with that Harley. I picked it up from a local dealership and instantly felt a need to ride it for 900 miles or so. Great bike. But I decided to take it in to the Harley Dealer's service department for a $75 inspection since I did plan to do some really long trips on it, and to my surprise they came back with over $2,000 in repairs. Well in MD dealers have to do a 30 day 1000 mile warranty so I called up my sales guy and was like, hey looks like I need new gaskets and a fork adjustment and I'm under 1,000 miles and he was like, "why do you think it needs all that" ... "well I had it inspected" ... "who exactly inspected it?".... "well, by Jacob in your service department".... "let me put you on hold" ... "ok all of that is covered under the warranty"

Moral: If you buy your bike from a dealer have them reinspect it before your warranty period runs out.

Moral 2: Harleys are really really cool if you're not obsessed with raw numbers or performance or reliability. I mean that sincerely, they are special bikes they just happen to be run by an inept corporation. Imagine if there was a company that still built '67 Camaros and that's basically Harley.

HD stands for Hundred Dollars, never forget

Rather than a 67 Camaro, which is too high performance for the HD analogy, Harley is like if Chevy never stopped making the 57 Chevy. A car known for its styling and a classic in its own right, but even in its own time was nothing special from a performance or technology standpoint.

Then they just keep making it in perpetuity. They make some other variants, a hatch back, a panel van, they slowly upgrade the motor, but never move beyond its basic design ethos.

Instead of being called what it is, “stagnation” or an unwillingness to innovate, it’s spun as “heritage”. Chevy occasionally tries other things, like making a corvette with a Porsche engine, but it’s roundly rejected by their core fan base because it strays too far from the original design and uses modern tech you’d find on “them riceburner cars” like Hondas. Also, the same basic 57 Chevy design now costs $150,000. Supercar territory.

This entire time, Chevy was actually primarily a clothing company who ran a huge global retail arm selling various Chevy branded knickknacks and the cars were sort of secondary to the whole thing. What they really want is for you to WANT to have a Chevy and buy the merch.

They keep making cool fun stuff like the Cyclone, Typhoon, various SS badged cars, but they keep getting canned in infancy because their core audience wants one thing and one thing only, the 57 Chevy. They have a very nice electric corvette coming soon but it costs $300,000 and will probably be off the market in 2 years.

They used to have a brand called Pontiac that they used to make sporty cars that they badge engineered and platform shared with regular chevys. The brand was run by an engineers engineer who made insane decisions in the name of engineering that didn’t make sense in the real world. They managed to capture the youth audience but poisoned the brand by allowing their dealerships to relegate Pontiac’s to the back corner of the lot and forcing them to put the 57 Chevy engine in everything from their basic entry level car (sporting a 57 motor cut in half) to their top of the line racecars, rendering them uncompetitive. Pontiac had a chance but the chips were stacked against them from the word go and they were born to eventually fail

Chevy has no plans on how to continue to sell the 57 after its customer base dies.

They are hamstrung by their own past success.

That. Is the Harley car analogy

I say this as someone who lives in the one city hugely impacted by the success of Harley and as someone who truly doesn’t want to see them fail. It’s just hard to watch them squander opportunity after opportunity and mismanage the brand for decades.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 26, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's fantastic analogy and it's going to become the core of any description I make of Harley to any of my non riding friends.

Edit - really this needs to go into some kind of satirical article about the decline of chevy, but posted on ride apart or somewhere without the real context made explicit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Instead of being called what it is, “stagnation” or an unwillingness to innovate, it’s spun as “heritage”
I've read a bunch of good books about exactly this business philosophy in the British motor industry in the 1960s

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

God drat that is an excellent analogy for HD

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is how I copied it to my friends and they loved it:

quote:

Imagine that Chevy never stopped making the 57 Chevy. A car known for its styling and a classic in its own right, but even in its own time was nothing special from a performance or technology standpoint.

Then they just keep making it in perpetuity. They make some other variants, a hatch back, a panel van, they slowly upgrade the motor, but never move beyond its basic design ethos.

Instead of being called what it is, “stagnation” or an unwillingness to innovate, it’s spun as “heritage”. Chevy occasionally tries other things, like making a corvette with a Porsche engine, but it’s roundly rejected by their core fan base because it strays too far from the original design and uses modern tech you’d find on “them riceburner cars” like Hondas. Also, the same basic 57 Chevy design now costs $150,000. Supercar territory.

This entire time, Chevy was actually primarily a clothing company who ran a huge global retail arm selling various Chevy branded knickknacks and the cars were sort of secondary to the whole thing. What they really want is for you to WANT to have a Chevy and buy the merch.

They keep making cool fun stuff like the Cyclone, Typhoon, various SS badged cars, but they keep getting canned in infancy because their core audience wants one thing and one thing only, the 57 Chevy. They have a very nice electric corvette coming soon but it costs $300,000 and will probably be off the market in 2 years.

They used to have a brand called Pontiac that they used to make sporty cars that they badge engineered and platform shared with regular chevys. The brand was run by an engineers engineer who made insane decisions in the name of engineering that didn’t make sense in the real world. They managed to capture the youth audience but poisoned the brand by allowing their dealerships to relegate Pontiac’s to the back corner of the lot and forcing them to put the 57 Chevy engine in everything from their basic entry level car (sporting a 57 motor cut in half) to their top of the line racecars, rendering them uncompetitive. Pontiac had a chance but the chips were stacked against them from the word go and they were born to eventually fail

Chevy has no plans on how to continue to sell the 57 after its customer base dies.

They are hamstrung by their own past success.

That is the Harley car analogy and it all happened and is still happening.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the read-between-the-lines part of Long Way Up (it's at the very beginning, so I'm not spoiling anything) is how the Harley head engineer boasts about building the prototype Livewires into Charlie and Ewan's ADV kitted rides in everyone's spare time because they're that passionate about motorcycles.
Read: Corporate doesn't condone any of this, and isn't interested at all in courting the influence of this highly influential customer, so if you want to do it, fine, but it's on you.
I wonder if they even let the engineers claim travel expenses.
Meanwhile, Rivian seemed to be more like "we put everything on hold to make this happen because we believe in this venture and will do whatever it takes to make it happen."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*cough*

I guess they heard you guys.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Read: Corporate doesn't condone any of this, and isn't interested at all in courting the influence of this highly influential customer

I occasionally wonder where the KTM guy who turned down Ewan and Charley before their first trip is buried.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I occasionally wonder where the KTM guy who turned down Ewan and Charley before their first trip is buried.

That rejection is high on the list of all time great career limiting moves.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finger Prince posted:

the read-between-the-lines part of Long Way Up (it's at the very beginning, so I'm not spoiling anything) is how the Harley head engineer boasts about building the prototype Livewires into Charlie and Ewan's ADV kitted rides in everyone's spare time because they're that passionate about motorcycles.
Read: Corporate doesn't condone any of this, and isn't interested at all in courting the influence of this highly influential customer, so if you want to do it, fine, but it's on you.
I wonder if they even let the engineers claim travel expenses.
Meanwhile, Rivian seemed to be more like "we put everything on hold to make this happen because we believe in this venture and will do whatever it takes to make it happen."

my favorite part was how important it was to show that electric motorcycles were ready for the real world while they did most of the trip powered by giant generator on a truck. So inspirational

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That rejection is high on the list of all time great career limiting moves.

Only if a ktm would have made the journey, rather than constantly making GBS threads itself. It looks bad turning them down, but the bike letting them down would have looked very bad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Megabook posted:

Only if a ktm would have made the journey, rather than constantly making GBS threads itself. It looks bad turning them down, but the bike letting them down would have looked very bad.

I didn't watch much of Long Way Round but the bits I saw seemed to show a lot of their fancy £30k bikes having to be rescued by locals riding 40 year old <125s which doesn't seem to have harmed BMW sales.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah my favorite part of the whole series is when their cameraman Claudio breaks his bike somehow in the middle of Mongolia and it has to be shipped back to a BMW mechanic somewhere. To keep on schedule they go to a local dealer and buy a Russian Izh Jupiter-5 2-stroke for 1000 bucks, still in the crate. They take their bikes up to Siberia, and Ewan and Charley spend a week falling over in the mud and screaming as they try to push their huge behemoths forwards at like 20 meters an hour, while in the background you can see Claudio ripping around on his lovely red Soviet dirt bike having a hoot of a time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah that crappy little two stroke was the real star of long way round and was way better for the off-road terrain than the actual bmws

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah my favorite part of the whole series is when their cameraman Claudio breaks his bike somehow in the middle of Mongolia and it has to be shipped back to a BMW mechanic somewhere. To keep on schedule they go to a local dealer and buy a Russian Izh Jupiter-5 2-stroke for 1000 bucks, still in the crate. They take their bikes up to Siberia, and Ewan and Charley spend a week falling over in the mud and screaming as they try to push their huge behemoths forwards at like 20 meters an hour, while in the background you can see Claudio ripping around on his lovely red Soviet dirt bike having a hoot of a time.

This was absolutely the best part of the series. Didn’t it also break down but easily got fixed by some random dudes with basic tools in Mongolia?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

:lol:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I haven't seen either one of those shows, but that sounds 100% believable. I'm pretty sure the F650 GS would make a much better around the world bike

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Nah. No BMW, No KTMs, No big rear end SUVADVs with luxury liabilities amenities. There's only one true way. DR/XR.

These bikes aren't actually meant to go anywhere and do anything, they're meant to sell a lifestyle. If they were they wouldn't be crippled by a fillup via a rusty tank, or ingesting dust into the engine and fueltanks from following a caravan, or a slippery getoff into a ditch or a pebblegarden at 45mph, and lastly, destroying rims from potholed roads or hitting large debris.
The allure of the do it all landcruiser but all you get in reality is this loving bloated QX50.

-a ktm-adv owner.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

I'd like to bitch about Ewan and Charley on two points here, although I like LWR.

For background on this incident, it's worth noticing that they had those bikes stupidly overloaded, especially considering they had a support truck close behind. Close enough behind that Claudio was able to buy a Jupiter 5 and put all his luggage on the truck and then enjoy riding the tiny 2t. They should have just put all their poo poo on the truck from the start and ridden DR650s.

So Claudio cracked his subframe. Then they got a local guy to weld the subframe. They didn't disconnect any of the electrics on the bike to do this, presumably, because the welding electricity damaged one of the very complex computers on the bike, namely the ABS pump computer. Those bikes had a stereotypically German insanely complex braking system which was operated by a computer controlled electrical pump. This system was a bad idea and BMW dumped it a couple years later and nobody else before or since has tried anything like it. If the pump isn't working the brake system feels totally different. Important note: the system still works, you just have to squeeze the lever harder. It doesn't feel nice but it works ok. They didn't have to ship the bike to Anchorage or wherever, they could have ridden it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like Long Way Round too. It suffers from the hollywoodactoritis where everything they do is so dramatic and meaningful and powerful but it's still a fun little story. And it's got some unintentional humor in it like the aforementioned lovely Jupiter that is actually great, or how Ewan manages to spray gasoline into his eyes on two separate occasions.

I didn't really like Long Way Down, don't think I even finished it. In that one Ewan's wife was pissed off that he was going to spend another couple of months riding motorcycles with his j/o bro, so she nagged him into coming along, but the big takeaway was that she just sucked at riding and kept wiping out in light sand and should have stayed home. It wasn't as fun as the first one.

I have not seen the new one, but apparently the conceit is that they do the whole trip on electric H-Ds, but they end up recharging them most of the time from a giant truck-mounted diesel generator and they take a whole lot of planes and ferries so uhhhhhh

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first one was the best and everything after just successively got worse.

The most recent one had them flying/taking a ferry around the darien gap. You know that region that is only traverse-able by offroad vehicles like say motorcycles.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

In the latest one, they even had a fresh new battery flown in from Milwaukee (avec a team of mechanics/software engineers) to wherever-they-were down in South America because Ewan's bike Went Wrong.

They also had diesel trucks, buses, 4x4s and generators. And planes. And boats. And a huge solar panel too. And Claudio's petrol Harley in case an electric Harley went down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean the darien gap part is kinda fair. iirc the few people to cross it with a motor vehicle entirely on land, not using any ferries or barges, have all averaged less than 1km/day and the gap is 200+ kilometers long. Not to mention that an electric harley is the last motorcycle you'd want to use for that.

I take more issue with stuff like charging the bikes from a diesel generator on a diesel truck that follows you the whole way, which misses the point of the exercise.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

I didn't really like Long Way Down, don't think I even finished it. In that one Ewan's wife was pissed off that he was going to spend another couple of months riding motorcycles with his j/o bro, so she nagged him into coming along, but the big takeaway was that she just sucked at riding and kept wiping out in light sand and should have stayed home. It wasn't as fun as the first one.
I disliked LWD too but I gotta white knight for Ewan's wife here, she takes a completely unreasonable amount of poo poo for her appearance in there. She was only in it for like one episode, and yeah she falls over a bunch, but what's more fun to watch? Expert riders cruising along without incident? She didn't make the series bad in my view, the problem with the show was it was even more obviously a stage managed convoy than the original. Armed guards traveling with them, etc. They mostly looked like they were in a rush. Aside from their guards killing a goat to eat, I don't remember them meeting a lot of local people doing local things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Nah. No BMW, No KTMs, No big rear end SUVADVs with luxury liabilities amenities. There's only one true way. DR/XR.

These bikes aren't actually meant to go anywhere and do anything, they're meant to sell a lifestyle. If they were they wouldn't be crippled by a fillup via a rusty tank, or ingesting dust into the engine and fueltanks from following a caravan, or a slippery getoff into a ditch or a pebblegarden at 45mph, and lastly, destroying rims from potholed roads or hitting large debris.
The allure of the do it all landcruiser but all you get in reality is this loving bloated QX50.

-a ktm-adv owner.

Correct. All big ADV's are a two wheeled range rover where everything is buttons and electronics and rear end-cosseting aka a tall luxury car with some degree of loose surface capability. DR's and the like are more like a Nissan safari where you push a lever into 4L and the industrial revolution happens somewhere under the car and next thing you know you're fording a river with a pig strapped to the bonnet.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

the best bit was after all the loving around, they dropped a load of money on a custom bus to hold and charge two (three?) bikes so they could ride when they felt like it, and drive when they didn’t

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

I mean the darien gap part is kinda fair. iirc the few people to cross it with a motor vehicle entirely on land, not using any ferries or barges, have all averaged less than 1km/day and the gap is 200+ kilometers long. Not to mention that an electric harley is the last motorcycle you'd want to use for that.

I take more issue with stuff like charging the bikes from a diesel generator on a diesel truck that follows you the whole way, which misses the point of the exercise.

oh for sure, but if you say you are traveling from the tip of south america to los angeles on motorycles but you skip all the hard parts did you even do it?

the next one is just going to be them taking a plane somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A celebrity shoots a program revolving around him doing interesting bike stuff. It is wildly successful and popular and naturally the only possible reason for this success is because the celebrity is so cool and good and the program revolved around him. But it was also like, really hard and stressful to shoot, so why not do something way easier? After all, people just want to watch him doing stuff. And here we are.

See also: top gear/grand tour.