Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

if Star Trek's not a show about investigating weird things, then I don't know what it is.

:spock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Where the gently caress did that Spock gif even come from, anyway?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Where the gently caress did that Spock gif even come from, anyway?

IIRC, the original promo for Unification.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Whales are not an uncommon thing to find in the ocean. If Moby Dick took place in Kansas, you're drat right I wanna know where that whale came from.

The doomsday machine is not an avatar for the impersonal fury of all the nature of the cosmos that is futile to seek out for vengeance, it's a weird thing somebody somewhere built, and if Star Trek's not a show about investigating weird things, then I don't know what it is.

The galaxy is a big place, both in size and time. Things like the Doomsday Machine are much more interesting when they are so old and mysterious that no amount of investigation can reveal certainties about where they came from.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

At least the map of destroyed solar systems was a straight line pointing to the rim of the galaxy..

I always wondered why they chose to literally run into a wall head first with the barrier.. seems stupid

It's like saying oh there's a tsunami in the way lemme see if I can go through it..

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Whales are not an uncommon thing to find in the ocean. If Moby Dick took place in Kansas, you're drat right I wanna know where that whale came from.

The doomsday machine is not an avatar for the impersonal fury of all the nature of the cosmos that is futile to seek out for vengeance, it's a weird thing somebody somewhere built, and if Star Trek's not a show about investigating weird things, then I don't know what it is.

To torture this metaphor some more, the Doomsday Machine doesn't show up in Space Kansas, it shows up in Space Polynesia. And if you know anything about TOS you should know that mysterious civilization-destroying space horrors are always an analogy for something.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS has a lot of investigations of weird space stuff, but also a lot of weird space stuff that is just accepted for what it is. Like in “Man Trap”, there’s a whole extinct alien civilization being studied by exactly one dude and his large alien wife. The Enterprise will show up and resupply the guy, but they’re not gonna start investigating why all the aliens died themselves: they only regret that it happened and that they were the final part of it.

I think the planet eater falls into this category as well. Once the problem it presents is solved, they no longer really have anything to do about it but ponder what it meant to them. They can’t try and trace it back to its point of origin because it’s in another galaxy, way beyond their reach. Kirk adduces no real evidence that the machine was actually a doomsday machine, it’s just his speculation that he runs with because of the gigantic scale on which it operates and because the concept is clearly evocative to him (tho of course mostly to the audience also). I think it’s fairly appropriate that Kirk, who is himself a cold warrior and a student of history, would interpret what he sees through the lens of historical cold war. He’s got MAD on the mind.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPO-i6TOqB0&feature=emb_title

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

best character and cast member on voyager is named Picardo

:thunk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Vic got a mobile emitter after Voyager returned, even though he showed very little interest in the outside world

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vic Fontaine, Emperor of Risa

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

The doomsday machine is not an avatar for the impersonal fury of all the nature of the cosmos that is futile to seek out for vengeance

It is in the story. It came out of the dark between the stars and started killing ships, people, and planets. Commodore Decker has been driven mad with grief and a really bad case of survivor's guilt, and he's out to destroy the thing at any cost.

There's a reason people keep mentioning Moby Dick, the episode is an homage. You could also tell a story about "What the gently caress is that thing ? Stay out of its way and scan the hell out of it." That'd be your "weird thing someone built" story and you could get a good episode out of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed this immensely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God help me I'm starting a Voyager rewatch since Greatest Gen will be starting to cover that next year anyway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

God help me I'm starting a Voyager rewatch since Greatest Gen will be starting to cover that next year anyway

If you've got the time for it, you should pair it up with The Delta Flyers podcast.

e: lol they just got to Threshold and Robbie McNeil's like "Man, everyone hates this episode but I had a blast making it, so screw 'em". It's great :allears:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 24, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I suggest we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:
Our thiotimolinic scans revealed a glyphic pattern. "Jettison," "spine," "cookies," "Missouri."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m almost done with s5 on my first full watch and I’m enjoying it. Much better without Kes.

Did season 5 get a budget boost? It has a lot more SFX that I’ve noticed.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

nine-gear crow posted:

If you've got the time for it, you should pair it up with The Delta Flyers podcast.

e: lol they just got to Threshold and Robbie McNeil's like "Man, everyone hates this episode but I had a blast making it, so screw 'em". It's great :allears:

Threshold rules, frak the haters

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing about Threshold is that the really really dumb bits would actually be pretty easy to just change a bit and give you a functional if fairly standard body-horror episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m almost done with s5 on my first full watch and I’m enjoying it. Much better without Kes.

Did season 5 get a budget boost? It has a lot more SFX that I’ve noticed.

With how technology advanced in the late 90s, I suspect CGI just became cheaper.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I hope Vic got a mobile emitter after Voyager returned, even though he showed very little interest in the outside world

I wonder what lie they made up for where the mobile emitter came from, since there are many parties that would have been very opposed to a hologram walking around with an unsecured piece of future tech.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

actually just watched threshold and it was beautifully stupid

i take it the neelix guy isn't a big draw at conventions

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The thing about Threshold is that it’s stupid in the best way. You’re watching it and you’re like “haha what the gently caress”, as opposed to all of Picard, which just makes you angry.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just rewatching Our Man Bashir and, Doctor Eden is the role Avery Brooks was born to play.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Senor Tron posted:

I wonder what lie they made up for where the mobile emitter came from, since there are many parties that would have been very opposed to a hologram walking around with an unsecured piece of future tech.

Ensign: Captain, shouldn't we do something about the mobile emitter Voyager obtained?

Captain Braxton: Why? How do we know they didn't invent the thing?!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Technically it's not future tech because the guy who created it was a 20th century inventor who was just using stolen 26th century tech

That's all I can think of.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

My assumption is that the mobile emitter needed to stay on Voyager since the ship would have been destroyed numerous times if the Doctor didn't have the ability to operate outside of sickbay. As for when the crew finally got home, my guess was that the mobile emitter was an old (by 29th century standards) piece of technology that was being developed in the Federation during the 2370s anyway, so actually having a mobile emitter from the future wouldn't change much beyond streamlining development and sidestepping a few design cul-de-sacs, while anything *too* advanced in its construction would have to wait for other associated technologies to be developed first. It's temporal contamination, but of the sort where removing it would cause more problems than just leaving it all be.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

Just rewatching Our Man Bashir and, Doctor Eden is the role Avery Brooks was born to play.

https://youtu.be/hnWAcaCMIUg

:yeah:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Why do people hate threshold so much. It’s good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

quote:

Although the conn officer was by now named "Tom Paris" and the chief engineer was now simply called "B'Elanna", the main characters also included Captain "Kate Janeway", First Officer "Chakatoy", Tactical/Security Chief "Vicon", Ops/Communications Officer "Jay Osaka", Intern/Medic "Dah" (the Ocampa, or "Mayfly", female), Doctor "Zimmerman", and gofer/guide "Felux".

I'm reading the MA info about the development of Voyager and apparently these were the first draft character names

It's also very cringeworthy to read about the early production notes that referred to warring alien gangs as 'Crips and Bloods'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FlamingLiberal posted:

Technically it's not future tech because the guy who created it was a 20th century inventor who was just using stolen 26th century tech

There's an equation for this. Or will be. Will have been. In the future. The future's past, our future.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Turns out the Doctor invented the holo emitter himself in the 29th century

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Senor Tron posted:

He learned to wear it under his holographic uniform/a coat so some jerk can't just run by and snatch it off his arm.

...at least until they reprogram it to float around inside his body like Rimmer's Light Bee on Red Dwarf.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

...at least until they reprogram it to float around inside his body like Rimmer's Light Bee on Red Dwarf.

Who funnily enough, found himself suddenly gifted with future tech ("hard light") so writers and FX people didn't have to constantly write around a character who can't touch anything

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm reading the MA info about the development of Voyager and apparently these were the first draft character names

It's also very cringeworthy to read about the early production notes that referred to warring alien gangs as 'Crips and Bloods'

Well the Kazon was supposed to be analogous to street gangs iirc

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean maybe, but it seems kinda crazy that the dude had 30 years to study a highly advanced form of a then-present technology (computers) and all he could come up with were semiconductors and micro-transistors, but then also tinker with something completely alien to him and generate a device superior to technology even 400 years in his future. The rest of the show treats it like original 29th century technology, perhaps no more clearly than when some of Seven's nanoprobes assimilate it and create a future-powered super drone who goes on to kick a 24th-century Borg ship's rear end singlehandedly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it makes most sense to assume that the mobile emitter was taken from inside the Aeon, or indeed just dialed up on the ship's replicator. He never says he made it himself.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 25, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

showbiz_liz posted:

Me too, but it's Doctor Noah. Which is a play on "Dr. No" as well as referencing his plan to destroy the world with a flood.

hA!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

HD DAD posted:

IIRC, the original promo for Unification.

ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Why do people hate threshold so much. It’s good

Two humans turn into salamanders after going too fast.

What part of that sentence isn't completely insane?