Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I just can't get through to that rear end in a top hat, I'm going to give up and let them continue fooling themselves that their school is doing the right thing and not exposing their students to a virus which is running out of control throughout the globe and will kill their families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spazzle posted:

I'm curious to what degree covid-19 is any worse than the other corona viruses circulating throughout the human population. I guess I'm wondering if it was a disease we all caught as kids a few times when it has minimal effects (giving some level of immunity) if we'd just see it as just another cold. Is it actually worse as a virus (compared to other corona viruses), or is the problem that the human population is just unexposed to it.

That's a theory that's come up a few times, mostly to explain the *apparent* difference in hospitalisations and deaths between first and second waves even when you account for increased testing. Unfortunately there's no real evidence to back it up - the difference seems to be accounted for by better precautions changing the demographic of infected people (and the grim fact that in most countries it's already ripped through care homes and other populations of vulnerable people) and better treatments meaning what we were actually seeing was an increased lag between infections rising and deaths rising.

It's also one that doesn't really have a parallel anywhere else in virology (at least as far as I know, I'm no more an expert on this than anyone else locked in their house with access to Wikipedia) - we're all exposed to flu viruses all the time and it doesn't seem to help when the occasional much deadlier than usual strain comes along, for example.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a theory that's come up a few times, mostly to explain the *apparent* difference in hospitalisations and deaths between first and second waves even when you account for increased testing. Unfortunately there's no real evidence to back it up - the difference seems to be accounted for by better precautions changing the demographic of infected people (and the grim fact that in most countries it's already ripped through care homes and other populations of vulnerable people) and better treatments meaning what we were actually seeing was an increased lag between infections rising and deaths rising.

Also the first big wave (at least in places like the US and Italy) was concentrated on a fairly small area so the hospitals were quickly overwhelmed, in this current wave it's way more spread out so you're getting lots of outbreaks slowly building in many many areas.

There's no single US state that is anywhere near as bad as NY at the height of the first wave but the numbers of deaths are almost back up to that level again:

In a few weeks from now when all the inevitable Thanksgiving/Black Friday infections are having a run on effect on the hospitalizations it's going to be a whole new ball game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jabor posted:

Here's a pretty frequent scenario of events:

- Parent starts showing covid symptoms without any known contacts, gets tested, pops a positive test.
- Child gets tested for the first time ever, also pops positive.

Your conclusion is that the child must have got it from the parent, there's absolutely no way they could have gotten it at school and then given it to their parent. Even though you have absolutely no evidence either way on that.

You've told us that the only time you ever test children is if they've been in some non-school close contact situation with a confirmed case, so you always have some other potential cause to point at. And then you're claiming that the fact that you don't see any positive tests in the kids you've never tested is somehow evidence that transmission doesn't happen at school.

I'm gonna quote this again because it was really supposed to be directed at that other guy who's back claiming this stuff again.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Lmaoooo mink zombies

Minkies? Zombinks?

Hope none of the little fuckers bit anyone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spazzle posted:

I'm curious to what degree covid-19 is any worse than the other corona viruses circulating throughout the human population. I guess I'm wondering if it was a disease we all caught as kids a few times when it has minimal effects (giving some level of immunity) if we'd just see it as just another cold. Is it actually worse as a virus (compared to other corona viruses), or is the problem that the human population is just unexposed to it.

SARS and MERS are caused by coronaviruses and they have IFRs of ten and thirty‐five percent, compared to the new virus’ one percent or so.

Death rates aren’t just because humans have never encountered it. They do more and less damage to our bodies just because of their species and the kinds of destructive implements their RNA creates.

That said, one theory about the Russian “flu” pandemic of 1889 is that this was the first time that OC43 jumped to humans. Today, OC43 is one of four known common cold coronaviruses. If this theory is true, the reason it was a pandemic strain then and a common cold strain now is that the virus evolved, not because we got used to it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Very cool that my WFH averse office now has two confirmed cases.

Very cool to have worked in a loving open office that went WFH for months, proved that it works fine, but brought back in for “morale” reasons.

Really love them having parties just before two people are diagnosed.

Tremendous fan of them wanting us back in the office in two and change weeks and then go on holiday break a week later.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

teen witch posted:

Very cool that my WFH averse office now has two confirmed cases.

Very cool to have worked in a loving open office that went WFH for months, proved that it works fine, but brought back in for “morale” reasons.

Really love them having parties just before two people are diagnosed.

Tremendous fan of them wanting us back in the office in two and change weeks and then go on holiday break a week later.

poo poo like this is why people form unions.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

poo poo like this is why people form unions.

I’m in Sweden. I’m in a union. They are toothless at best in this situation. We all kind of are.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

teen witch posted:

I’m in Sweden. I’m in a union. They are toothless at best in this situation. We all kind of are.

It literally takes your union leadership telling the managers "we work from home or we strike."
You're as helpless as you let yourself be. Stand up to people, convince people that discontinuing work from home is a crazy idea starting with your union leadership.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

It literally takes your union leadership telling the managers "we work from home or we strike."
You're as helpless as you let yourself be. Stand up to people, convince people that discontinuing work from home is a crazy idea starting with your union leadership.

As a fellow traveler of one One Big Union - I know this. My situation is a bit unique, details I’m leaving out for anonymity purposes.

Additionally, how the government has managed this pandemic is contributing to these actions as well. I know why the Swedish government is doing this the way they are, but it’s still screwing people over and just tossing the elderly into the pyre.

Should we actually go back before the holidays I’ll contact my Union, sure, but I am likely not alone in this situation. I’m doubtful they can even help.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

teen witch posted:

As a fellow traveler of one One Big Union - I know this. My situation is a bit unique, details I’m leaving out for anonymity purposes.

Additionally, how the government has managed this pandemic is contributing to these actions as well. I know why the Swedish government is doing this the way they are, but it’s still screwing people over and just tossing the elderly into the pyre.

Should we actually go back before the holidays I’ll contact my Union, sure, but I am likely not alone in this situation. I’m doubtful they can even help.

Best of luck. I just get frustrated when I read stuff like this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Here’s the French site I refer to for national statistics, [url] https://mobile.francetvinfo.fr/sant...rancetvinfo.fr/[/url].

Schools (primary, middle, high) have been opened continuously since September, save for two weeks at the end of October (vacation on a national scale). A small number of high schools have taken advantage of the possibility of going part-time on site, part time remote. The infection curve (scroll down a bit) shows exponential growth at first then a brutal crash. The crash is amazingly sharp, and I don’t know what it corresponds to, but it’s not school closings because those did not happen.
For one, your positivity rate is above 10%, which is abysmal and means many cases are not detected. Two, look at the TESTS:

There are exactly two reasons for the TESTS curve to look like that:
1. Either your country scaled down testing by adjusting policies and definitions and rule interpretations.
2. OR the observed curve doesn't match the actual curve of infections because for most covid cases the date-of-recording is much different from the date-of-infection, and what we're seeing is that france had low testing capacity in the summer and as fall hit, built a backlog, prompting buildup of capacity that then processed a lot of cases in bulk leading to a sudden rush of detections that came from previous weeks.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

In the school I teach at, there have been a handful of cases observed in students
Your country is at a nominal detected case rate of ~25 new cases per 100'000 people. Meaning you'd expect to see one new case every 8 days on average in a homogenous population group of 500 people. At a school of 500 people you'd expect to see even less as it's not a homogenous group due to being young people who're affected less.

Your anecdotal observations match the rough reality of the numbers and paint a horrific picture for the nation and in no way invalidate the effect of schools.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I’m just a dude on the ground whose observations don’t match your pet theories, and I’m sorry it bothers you, but it is what it is.
As a teacher, you should know better than to behave like this. You're not talking to your students here, you have no reason to project being an authority figure. You're among peers and among people who have been studying this since january. You should know that the proper move to make here is to ask questions if something seems weird, not to make claims and cross your arms and go harumph.

Also frankly, if you treat your students with "i'm sorry you disagreed with me" then you're horrible both as a teacher and as a person. I hope you reserve this stuff for SA.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 26, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Wearing a respirator at work would be more comfortable and for a long workday, more protective than N95, and it would send a signal to your coworkers. You can also talk fine through them as long as you don't need to address entire rooms.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
The chickens are coming home to roost. Seeing tons of friends posting about them getting it/needing to be test, or family members. Most don't wear masks but some do. I know my dad is going to get it at some point, put in the minimal effort (only where you need to where it) with masks and get the minimal results. This was brought on by the poster saying some of are going to have PTSD from this. I mean I get 'jealous' of everyone living life like normal, but I can't do that, made it this far, vaccine in sight, time to hunker down for the 4th quarter of this deadly game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You should probably try and find happiness without a vaccine in sight, just so you aren't devastated when it turns out there isn't

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Listen buddy, my Governor told me they are going to start dosing people on the 15th! Have no idea where that date even came from since as far as I know none of the vaccines are actually approved yet...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When spraypainting signs on your window plywood, I suggest declarative warnings like "Trespassers Will Be Shot", "Beware of Dog", "Area Under Surveillance", and "NO Aid Here", while avoiding direct demands like "Keep Off" or "Keep Moving". The firmer makes the violators think twice, while the latter actually invites intrusion via reverse psychology.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Kerning Chameleon posted:

When spraypainting signs on your window plywood, I suggest declarative warnings like "Trespassers Will Be Shot", "Beware of Dog", "Area Under Surveillance", and "NO Aid Here", while avoiding direct demands like "Keep Off" or "Keep Moving". The firmer makes the violators think twice, while the latter actually invites intrusion via reverse psychology.

i'm going to loving steal all of your possessions one of these days! Stealing your dog too.

Had a real piece of work customer at work. Shrieking like a harpy from the moment she stepped in, mask completely off her face. She followed me into the flower fridge (to shriek) despite my coworker trying to stop her. Should I burn everything that was in the fridge?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This isn't my first rodeo being locked up while other people have fun.

At least this time I don't have to resort to eating cat food or decade old preserved 80s wedding cake when I was hungry. So far, anyway.

Also this time is a choice, because I'd rather not die or be responsible for other's deaths. That makes it a lot easier.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

lol

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hey, everyone, let's have the macy's thanksgiving day parade in the rain during a pandemic, why not

the surprise bonus for the workers this year is pneumonia

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1331938405475905541

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1329766469912170497

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1331200589443854336

:tif:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

zgrowler2 posted:

On the topic of minor inconveniences being a loss of freedoms, any of y'all have workplaces where masks are actually enforced? Mine absolutely does not give a poo poo unless corporate is physically present and it drives me up the wall
lol even though we're software developers our boss has us come in, altho we just stopped like last week. we wear the masks everywhere but our desks. lot of handwashing, no leftovers in fridge. ceo is super anal about covid but not enough to not risk our lives. i low key hopes he get it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugh I just had to tell my mom who still felt it necessary to ask that I won't be able to be there for Christmas this year and could feel that tinge of disappointment after she said my brother and his wife and newborn baby are going to be there... Really getting this day started on a high note.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I am definitely starting to have "I am out in public and talking to these people who are getting really close to me and OH NO I FORGOT TO WEAR MY MASK?!???" dreams, and I don't really feel like I've struggled with things at all compared to most people.

If only we could somehow buy stock in therapy.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

I am definitely starting to have "I am out in public and talking to these people who are getting really close to me and OH NO I FORGOT TO WEAR MY MASK?!???" dreams, and I don't really feel like I've struggled with things at all compared to most people.

If only we could somehow buy stock in therapy.

Yes, I dreamed about finding myself trapped in a restaurant full of unmasked people a couple weeks ago. It was really upsetting, so I can only imagine what it's like for people who actually work in restaurants!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

SARS and MERS are caused by coronaviruses and they have IFRs of ten and thirty‐five percent, compared to the new virus’ one percent or so.

Death rates aren’t just because humans have never encountered it. They do more and less damage to our bodies just because of their species and the kinds of destructive implements their RNA creates.

That said, one theory about the Russian “flu” pandemic of 1889 is that this was the first time that OC43 jumped to humans. Today, OC43 is one of four known common cold coronaviruses. If this theory is true, the reason it was a pandemic strain then and a common cold strain now is that the virus evolved, not because we got used to it.

I guess I can see three reasons why a strain would appear to become less of an issue over time

1) It mutates over time
2) We're the descendants of the population who were less susceptible, the highly susceptible population were killed on the first pass (if susceptibility is heavily due to genetic predispositions)
3) Once a strain is established in the population you inevitably will end up catching it when you are young. You basically have a minimal chance of it causing lasting issues then (compared to an unexposed older population) so if you get it again later in life you already have an immune response from earlier.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

So it has begun. What we were all fearing when these assholes got appointed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hey, everyone, let's have the macy's thanksgiving day parade in the rain during a pandemic, why not

the surprise bonus for the workers this year is pneumonia

I just turned it on and there are zero people on the streets watching.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

zgrowler2 posted:

On the topic of minor inconveniences being a loss of freedoms, any of y'all have workplaces where masks are actually enforced? Mine absolutely does not give a poo poo unless corporate is physically present and it drives me up the wall

Nooooope. My work has a sign on the door saying masks are required, but everyone has interpreted that as 'they're only required if I'm leaving my desk. If I'm right here then it's a no mask zone baby!' Which is hilarious because the only people coming in to work in my office are sitting in two groups of 4-5 people each. So people aren't wearing a mask with another mask-less person about 5 feet away.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So it has begun. What we were all fearing when these assholes got appointed.

One small silver lining is the fun little nickname of “Amy Covid Barret” that people are using

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

What about the classic

Don't Covid
Open Inside?

across the window shutters? Yes/No?

Edit: Asking for a friend who has window shutters and doesn't confuse them with window panes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

What about the classic

Don't Covid
Open Inside?

across the window shutters? Yes/No?

Edit: Asking for a friend who has window shutters and doesn't confuse them with window panes.

Or just “PLAGUE”

Or a big skull and crossbones

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just put up the whole "this place is not a place of honor" epitaph and salvage som rebar and corrugated sheets to make warning spikes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Really hilarious that Republicans are still trying to kill off their voter base.

Mumbling Nuggets
Jan 14, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

"Prosecutors Will Be Violated"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Soysaucebeast posted:

Nooooope. My work has a sign on the door saying masks are required, but everyone has interpreted that as 'they're only required if I'm leaving my desk. If I'm right here then it's a no mask zone baby!' Which is hilarious because the only people coming in to work in my office are sitting in two groups of 4-5 people each. So people aren't wearing a mask with another mask-less person about 5 feet away.
Lol. People were pretty good at wearing masks in public places during the 2-3 weeks when the offices were open this summer lol. I don't think anyone's going back until everyone is vaccinated.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Man, Ohio's positivity rate is 20% and our case, hospitalization, and death per day curves have all gone vertical. Most people around me seem to be good about mask usage, but a lot, especially the older ones, seem to be unwilling to even consider skipping thanksgiving or christmas stuff. The general area I'm in seems to be better than the rest of the state, where the chuddy areas are in the 5 to 7% of population having it area, mine is "only" at around 2.5%, but with the holidays I'm sure we'll catch up to them.

We're gonna be digging mass graves here, aren't we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wilderthanmild posted:

Man, Ohio's positivity rate is 20% and our case, hospitalization, and death per day curves have all gone vertical. Most people around me seem to be good about mask usage, but a lot, especially the older ones, seem to be unwilling to even consider skipping thanksgiving or christmas stuff. The general area I'm in seems to be better than the rest of the state, where the chuddy areas are in the 5 to 7% of population having it area, mine is "only" at around 2.5%, but with the holidays I'm sure we'll catch up to them.

We're gonna be digging mass graves here, aren't we?
new york already did when they got turbofucked! granted, on an island they already use for burying unclaimed corpses and it was just an increase in whatever load they usually have, but if nothing else it fits the theme