Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

evobatman posted:

That's gotta be the droopiest ceiling titty I've ever seen

Let's see how yours look when you're that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

I like that they call it "perfectly heated" because it drat sure won't be cooked

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

I like that they call it "perfectly heated" because it drat sure won't be cooked

Isn't most of the ham you get at a supermarket already cooked?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Piell posted:

Aren't they already cooked?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
That’s just sous vide with extra steps

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Joey Freshwater posted:

That’s just sous vide with extra steps

sous lave?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Piell posted:

Sous vide pasteurizes, but the temp for sous vide pork is on the higher end of most dishwasher temps ~140F

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Sous vide pasteurizes, but the temp for sous vide pork is on the higher end of most dishwasher temps ~140F

Yeah but those hams are already cooked. It's just a wasteful and obtuse way of heating it up. It's dumb.

https://petitjeanmeats.com/recipes/by-product-page/92/dishwasher-spiral-sliced-ham

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wouldn't the 30 minutes rest almost entirely negate heating the ham up if we aren't cooking it?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thecluckmeme posted:

Wouldn't the 30 minutes rest almost entirely negate heating the ham up if we aren't cooking it?

And what's the point or resting it if it's a pre -sliced ham?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gentlemen, I think we have been duped!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This isn't precooked though

https://cafemom.com/lifestyle/152738-i_cooked_chicken_in_my

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

"My appliances should do multiple things at once."
"I was too scared to use this to do multiple things at once, so I only cooked food in it."

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I prefer my hams splacked

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I didn't even know you were supposed to heat it up. Every Thanksgiving gathering I've been to has featured a cold ham and a loaf of bread to put slices of it on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dip Viscous posted:

I didn't even know you were supposed to heat it up. Every Thanksgiving gathering I've been to has featured a cold ham and a loaf of bread to put slices of it on.
Either you eat it cold, or you coat it in a glaze and stick cloves in it before you bake it. Heating it up without doing any other preparation to it first is just weird.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hot Ham

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rum ham :colbert:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"... and you call it a steamed ham despite the fact that it's been boiled in a dishwasher?"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Empty Sandwich posted:

"... and you call it a steamed ham despite the fact that it's been boiled in a dishwasher?"

Boiling water is just a kind of condensed steam.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

And with a smack of water.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Inceltown posted:

Boiling water is just a kind of condensed steam.

What's a little latent heat between friends?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I am not good at construction but I don't believe the floor should be supported solely by metal brackets attached to posts that are just smashed into the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhEKTo2B5I&t=74s

oh and lol drywall screws

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

moist turtleneck posted:

I am not good at construction but I don't believe the floor should be supported solely by metal brackets attached to posts that are just smashed into the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhEKTo2B5I&t=74s

That is, at best, a tree-adjacent shed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They put the beam on top of the pile and then take it back off again to screw it to the side :psyduck:

Why couldn't you have rested it on the pile and then used the brackets to keep it in place???

Like if they put the beams over the piles that would probably actually be OK for what it is, it's probably OK anyway but they specifically attached it in a needlessly weird way.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Dec 3, 2020

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Now I just want to see an entire shed built with A35s.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

moist turtleneck posted:

Every dumbass DIY blog thinks they've discovered this one weird trick screw manufacturers don't want you to know with drywall screws, it's an immediate sign you should blacklist their channel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Every dumbass DIY blog thinks they've discovered this one weird trick screw manufacturers don't want you to know with drywall screws, it's an immediate sign you should blacklist their channel.

Wait until they find out about nails.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a difference between drywall/plasterboard screws and just... normal self tapping wood screws? Other than that they seem to always come in black for some reason?

E: apparently they're threaded the whole length. Is there a reason to use them instead of wood screws for woodworking then?

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Dec 4, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a difference between drywall/plasterboard screws and just... normal self tapping wood screws? Other than that they seem to always come in black for some reason?

E: apparently they're threaded the whole length. Is there a reason to use them instead of wood screws for woodworking then?

IDK, drywall screws seem to break a lot. Maybe I've just had bad ones? In all my life I've broken exactly one wood screw.

e: I mean they are noticeably thinner so that probably factors into it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently they are also brittle.

Basically is there a thing where people are saying to use particularly drywall screws instead of woodscrews?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes because they're cheaper.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

OwlFancier posted:

Basically is there a thing where people are saying to use particularly drywall screws instead of woodscrews?

Yes. Use drywall screws to hang drywall.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Drywall screws use a phillips head which absolutely sucks compared to torx

Also I don't think drywall screws are generally rated for outdoors

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Drywall screws, when used appropriately, are extremely common in scenic construction. Since that's clearly not a stable structure, I feel okay with calling it scenery and using drywall screws.

Source: In the before times when we had jobs, I'd order about $1,000 in drywall screws every two months.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Those pallets aren't secured to anything?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, they're cheap, brittle and not corrosion resistant at all, which is perfectly fine for drywall, because they'll pull out of drywall well before they snap.

They are not good for construction, doubly so outside, and tripply so in the modern day, now that proper zinc coated construction-rated wood screws with all the mechanical and chemical characteristics one would want for constructing things are available for a reasonable price at every hardware store.

Compounding all that, they're terrible for use with those steel brackets, the "bugle" shape of their head makes them tend to punch through the thin steel. If those are rated structural brackets the only approved fastener would be a small, strong, flat-headed and galvanized structural nail, colloquially known as a "Tico" obviously that's overkill for your lovely pallet tree fort (wherein the pallets provide nothing of value aside from YouTube clicks) but a corrosion resistant pan head screw, like those made by GRK are like $6/50 count, and won't rust away in a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfebZuMXtic
26 Simple Plant-growing Hacks for Your Tiny Garden!

Okay, most break down to "soak seeds. Plant them," and "graft things onto other things," but there are some that just.... why would you use a watermelon as a planter? Why would you graft marigolds onto turnips? Why would you think duct tape could make a bright red heart-shaped apple?

Why?