Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zer0spunk posted:

on my list for sure, daytripper was my introduction to moon/ba and i def want to go through their work..my backlog is..uh..stupid frankly but i'll get there. i haven't had time to start umbrella academy (the show) and thats about to be on season 3..i'm reading more because of the pandemic and having free time for the first time in decades, but also buying and adding more then i ever have thanks to things i thought i wouldn't get a chance at magically all popping up this year

I'm a huge fan of the brothers. Recently reread Umbrella Academy after watching the show and I think I like the show a bit better? They use the extra time well.

I love Casanova, but it's a impressionistic. For a sci-fi story about alternate dimensions, it's strangely autobiographical for Matt Fraction (I highly recommend the deluxe editions for his essays). They're high on my reread pile right now.

But both those titles are more bombastic than Two Brothers or Daytripper.

Little off the beaten path, check out Moonshadow.
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/3001-783/Moonshadow-HC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

I'm a huge fan of the brothers. Recently reread Umbrella Academy after watching the show and I think I like the show a bit better? They use the extra time well.

I love Casanova, but it's a impressionistic. For a sci-fi story about alternate dimensions, it's strangely autobiographical for Matt Fraction (I highly recommend the deluxe editions for his essays). They're high on my reread pile right now.

awesome, adding to my list haha

i can't state my love for daytripper enough..i went into that blind so the framing device wasn't spoiled for me. i don't think i've ever followed the solicits for an absolute before and i was seriously worried when it vanished the last time...still can't believe it got an absolute, one of the few things DC did right

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I read it monthly, got to the end of the first issue and went, "wait, what?" So good.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i got the missing volumes of mind mgmt in, finally completed all 6. weirdly volume 3 came without any plastic wrap from IST but volume 6 did..vol 5 also was wrapped but not the earlier volumes..wonder if thats just a year cut off where they decided hey lets protect these over at dark horse

i haven't read it in a while so should be a cool re-read..i talked myself out of the monthlies when it was starting like a dummy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

i got the missing volumes of mind mgmt in, finally completed all 6. weirdly volume 3 came without any plastic wrap from IST but volume 6 did..vol 5 also was wrapped but not the earlier volumes..wonder if thats just a year cut off where they decided hey lets protect these over at dark horse

i haven't read it in a while so should be a cool re-read..i talked myself out of the monthlies when it was starting like a dummy

Shrink wrapped books could be such a headache. Especially when trying to sell books as "new" but they shipped bare and the buyer screams at you for selling a used copy as new.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

Shrink wrapped books could be such a headache. Especially when trying to sell books as "new" but they shipped bare and the buyer screams at you for selling a used copy as new.

it kinda did the reverse, i bought the other 4 volumes from people as brand new and they were, so i was confused whyd you unseal the book and literally never even thumb through it to check it for damage at that point before shelving it..so now i just assume DH didn't seal 1-4 at retail before they even got it, makes sense. unless i'm wrong

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

it kinda did the reverse, i bought the other 4 volumes from people as brand new and they were, so i was confused whyd you unseal the book and literally never even thumb through it to check it for damage at that point before shelving it..so now i just assume DH didn't seal 1-4 at retail before they even got it, makes sense. unless i'm wrong

They were very random about shrink wrap. Some of the Hellboy Library books came with it, some without. None of my BPRD Plague HCS came wrapped but the 5th volume was. Two out of five MOTU HCs were wrapped.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

They were very random about shrink wrap. Some of the Hellboy Library books came with it, some without. None of my BPRD Plague HCS came wrapped but the 5th volume was. Two out of five MOTU HCs were wrapped.

hahahahaha just like what logo goes on the spine! oh dark horse, you character you. are they owned by a conglomerate at this point?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think so.

There was also a full year where DC stopped wrapping books and damage reports sky rocketed.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
here's a weird one, i bought a copy of a book that is alt takes on movie posters on a recommendation from a friend and it is, in fact, awesome. i got it new off ebay for under cover, 34 i think, and i just relaxed the spine opened the first page and it looks to be signed...nothing about being signed on the listing..trying to find any pictures of that title page so i know i'm not crazy, but it looks like a sharpie signature not a printed repro

NM not that exciting, except now I shoulda got it from him direct cuz it's even cheaper.. Too bad I already ordered both volumes haha damnit

Sick book though!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 24, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

here's a weird one, i bought a copy of a book that is alt takes on movie posters on a recommendation from a friend and it is, in fact, awesome. i got it new off ebay for under cover, 34 i think, and i just relaxed the spine opened the first page and it looks to be signed...nothing about being signed on the listing..trying to find any pictures of that title page so i know i'm not crazy, but it looks like a sharpie signature not a printed repro

NM not that exciting, except now I shoulda got it from him direct cuz it's even cheaper.. Too bad I already ordered both volumes haha damnit

Sick book though!

I've had that happen a few times. My copy of Dangerous Visions came with a Harlan Ellison signature. My favorite was when I bought Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and I saw a copy was available from a Baltimore Goodwill. I had to go with that and of course it was signed by David Simon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Random Stranger posted:

I've had that happen a few times. My copy of Dangerous Visions came with a Harlan Ellison signature. My favorite was when I bought Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and I saw a copy was available from a Baltimore Goodwill. I had to go with that and of course it was signed by David Simon.
I love that David Simon book and my jealousy went through the roof. Also reminded me I lent a friend that and the corner going on ten years ago now, that savage

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Sick book though!

Hey, I know that book!

I was sitting at my friend's table in artist alley at a Wizard World in Chicago and they had a table across from us. Picked it up on a whim after staring at it for a few hours. Pretty sure he signed it in front of me.

Didn't know there was a 2nd volume.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

Hey, I know that book!

I was sitting at my friend's table in artist alley at a Wizard World in Chicago and they had a table across from us. Picked it up on a whim after staring at it for a few hours. Pretty sure he signed it in front of me.

Didn't know there was a 2nd volume.

Yeah I'm glad I went for it, it's a killer book (and i'm sure volume 1 is too, wonder if that one is signed or not from amazon..doubtful). I got these and the mondo hardcover that's bascially the same deal but mondo artists instead. I think there's even more alt poster books but these three are probably more then enough

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I guess the Captain Britain omnibus is super rare? I should sell that

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

So I guess the Captain Britain omnibus is super rare? I should sell that

cuz of moore as far as i can tell

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

IST is doing thier black Friday thing so I blind bought Casanova cuz of you (looks sick, excited) and picked up the two larger sex criminals volumes since that just finished up and I'm guessing the final one will come after the last tpb out this week.

Whole Lotta fraction coming, I rarely buy a series before checking it out but I trust y'all
(series I now have coming that I'm starting blind: paper girls, Casanova, sex criminals and incognito)

And I finally bit the bullet and paid the markup for the Rachel rising omni hardcover. I had this weird feeling echo was getting a reprint when it hits the 10 year mark in 2021, which meant waiting for RR would be a while. Grumble grumble

Still sealed and when I mentioned I was excited to read it (I still have a few issues left) the seller immediately hit me with a oh the softcover version is cheap though haha. I'd like to think they winced at me opening the seal.. (was it one of you, fess up)

Ooo and CGN had a small Wolverine volume 1 restock so I bought my first marvel omni. Feels weird

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 25, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

IST is doing thier black Friday thing so I blind bought Casanova cuz of you (looks sick, excited) and picked up the two larger sex criminals volumes since that just finished up and I'm guessing the final one will come after the last tpb out this week.

Whole Lotta fraction coming, I rarely buy a series before checking it out but I trust y'all
(series I now have coming that I'm starting blind: paper girls, Casanova, sex criminals and incognito)

I'm a huge fan of Paper Girls, Sex Criminals, and Incognito. I hope you like those as much as I did!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Really impressed by this custom binding job some dude did for Black Cat Vol.1

https://twitter.com/TalfourdBob/status/1331924681000103937?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is legit, I hope there's a BC omnibus someday.

Two very rare MOTU books from dark horse popped up from a seller on Amazon for below cover price. They have a few bad feedbacks but I rolled the dice since normally they command $200+ each. Even if they're dinged ill be happy to have them in my collection.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

That is legit, I hope there's a BC omnibus someday.

Two very rare MOTU books from dark horse popped up from a seller on Amazon for below cover price. They have a few bad feedbacks but I rolled the dice since normally they command $200+ each. Even if they're dinged ill be happy to have them in my collection.

Nice! I've had pretty good luck so far with Amazon market.
So far the only issue is getting the wrong book from a seller who took the time to tell me their packages survived Afghanistan so "I think they'll do fine with the rigors of Brooklyn" 🙄
Sassy! And yet sent the wrong book

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

Nice! I've had pretty good luck so far with Amazon market.
So far the only issue is getting the wrong book from a seller who took the time to tell me their packages survived Afghanistan so "I think they'll do fine with the rigors of Brooklyn" 🙄
Sassy! And yet sent the wrong book

Yeah I've had good luck overall even with sellers with poor feedback. I scored the stupid rare Shadowman Vol.1 HC for below cover price from a seller who clearly didn't do their research.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think the majority of people just don't ever click that kind of hidden list of available sellers that aren't amazon direct

I get why they don't make that more prominent but that's got to be frustrating for sellers on there

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I managed to get Absolute Sandman vol 3 for £72.80, which is a fairly good price given it seems to be out of print. It's annoyingly much more than the sub £48 I'd paid for each of vol 1 and vol 2 though. 4 and 5 are closer to those two in price though so I should be able to finish the set.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

zer0spunk posted:

IST is doing thier black Friday thing

Is this on now because I don't see any indications of a BF sale?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

GrandpaPants posted:

Is this on now because I don't see any indications of a BF sale?

checking it now it looks like its back to 42 + 2% loyalty if you already ordered, but it was 47% off for a while there..it was limited to things in the 40% discount range but that was a good chunk of my wishlist so i went for it

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

frameset posted:

I managed to get Absolute Sandman vol 3 for £72.80, which is a fairly good price given it seems to be out of print. It's annoyingly much more than the sub £48 I'd paid for each of vol 1 and vol 2 though. 4 and 5 are closer to those two in price though so I should be able to finish the set.

huh, i thought sandman was one of those sets that always got a reprint because of how well it sells..interesting. which logo is on the spine

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Really impressed by this custom binding job some dude did for Black Cat Vol.1

https://twitter.com/TalfourdBob/status/1331924681000103937?s=19

These looks so good (I also saw some of the other custom binds on your Twitter)! If it weren't for the fact that collecting HCs is already a fairly expensive hobby I would love to get into custom bindings. There are about a hundred issues of Cable sitting in my closet that I would love to collect in two or three fancy books. :retrogames:

There also aren't any really good custom binding services near me. I see pictures on Reddit of custom HCs with specially made embossing, and I don't think I could get that done anywhere close to me.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

huh, i thought sandman was one of those sets that always got a reprint because of how well it sells..interesting. which logo is on the spine

Yeah me too, which is why I got some sticker shock when I went to buy V3. My totally unsubstantiated theory is that they are letting this run sell out before switching to Black Label. The ones in the UK market are all Vertigo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zer0spunk posted:

checking it now it looks like its back to 42 + 2% loyalty if you already ordered, but it was 47% off for a while there..it was limited to things in the 40% discount range but that was a good chunk of my wishlist so i went for it

i still see stuff at 45% actually, so..idk, look around, i think new releases aren't on sale..i def have some stuff at 47% in my cart right now

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

JordanKai posted:

These looks so good (I also saw some of the other custom binds on your Twitter)! If it weren't for the fact that collecting HCs is already a fairly expensive hobby I would love to get into custom bindings. There are about a hundred issues of Cable sitting in my closet that I would love to collect in two or three fancy books. :retrogames:

There also aren't any really good custom binding services near me. I see pictures on Reddit of custom HCs with specially made embossing, and I don't think I could get that done anywhere close to me.

That bound Marshal Law collection was amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I think the vast majority of comic binders use either Houchen or Herring & Robinson, and they send their comics off in the mail and get the hardcovers mailed back.
https://www.houchenbindery.com/services/comic-books/
http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/comic_books.html

Herring & Robinson already has a lot of those custom stamp dies made, so it would be much easier and cheaper to pick from their existing ones:
http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/custom_stamp_dies.html

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

frameset posted:

Yeah me too, which is why I got some sticker shock when I went to buy V3. My totally unsubstantiated theory is that they are letting this run sell out before switching to Black Label. The ones in the UK market are all Vertigo.

makes sense. i think if anyone is trying to find oop stuff in this set there's no chance it doesn't get a black label new printing, especially with a looming netflix show. def don't pay above cover if you don't mind waiting

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think the vast majority of comic binders use either Houchen or Herring & Robinson, and they send their comics off in the mail and get the hardcovers mailed back.
https://www.houchenbindery.com/services/comic-books/
http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/comic_books.html

Herring & Robinson already has a lot of those custom stamp dies made, so it would be much easier and cheaper to pick from their existing ones:
http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/custom_stamp_dies.html

I don't live in the USA, so this isn't much use to me! :saddowns:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I don't live in the USA, so this isn't much use to me! :saddowns:

I had no idea and meant no offense! Where do you live?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I had no idea and meant no offense! Where do you live?

No worries, you didn't offend me! :) I live in the Netherlands--small country, so even taking the whole thing into consideration I only have a handful of options for custom bindings, haha.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Cgn has the March box set for 20 bucks right now in their black Friday sale, if I didn't already own the Hardcovers I would be all over that

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Tried to buy my first cgc slab and had such a contrast from buying a collected edition from someone at the same time.

The book was kill or be killed deluxe, guy read it once but as far as I could tell book was in good shape, we looked at the sold prices.. 75 sealed and open copies averaging 50 (cover) so we landed on 55. Got the book, easy peasy smooth all around.

Saw a slab on ebay for 60 + 13, 9.8 of a 2002 book. The sold value of book was between 3-5 max at NM not in a slab. Aka not a rare book, not a signed book, standard cover, direct market version. The slab was listed for a month at this point with buy it now or b/o, I shot the guy 45 cuz the 13 dollar shopping offsets things in my mind, get a counter offer for 50 at 2am

Laugh that five dollars cost the sale and decline, buy a 3 dollar NM from a comic store instead. Reminds me why I don't do singles

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

IST doesn't seem to have a listing for next month's Uncanny X-Men omnibus volume 3. Does this mean that it won't be one of the books offered for a deep discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Happy Hippo posted:

IST doesn't seem to have a listing for next month's Uncanny X-Men omnibus volume 3. Does this mean that it won't be one of the books offered for a deep discount?

I see it, I'd add it to your wishlist and be fast on that tuesday @ 3 pm est.

(only see the DM variant cover)

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/AUG150898/UNCANNY-X-MEN-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-03-DM-VAR-SMITH-CVR

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/NOV190957/UNCANNY-X-MEN-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01-NEW-PTG vol 1 is in stock i guess too?

Fantagraphics is having a 40% and free ship over 75 sale today for cyber monday. i pulled the trigger on 2 studio editions i wanted to add to my charles burns version. soooo... preeetttttyy happy :)

e: preorders don't count with the discount..but i added one anyway to my order to see if it'll ship free on release..also yet to see a studio version for more then 30% discount and i track prices on em. hard to beat the price right now.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 30, 2020