Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

DelphiAegis posted:

That's fair. Thank goodness I can grind rupees and just pay to level them at least.

Mostly I just don't like Daruk's moveset. Am I a bad person? :ohdear:

I can’t stand Zelda, her move set feels so awkward to me. Luckily, you can grind rupees into your B-team so even if you don’t really like them, you can keep them around the save level of the A-team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
See and once I got an additional few combos, I actually started liking Zelda a lot more. Though I hated her at first until I figured out the giant bomb combo and her use of zr.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

all video games are necessary, give me more video games

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The teeth-gnashing on the Zelda subreddits about how this game doesn't fit the timeline is incredible

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
It'd be neat if there are new characters in BOTW2 and after it's out they get released as AoC DLC.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That would require that botw 2 actually comes out within a reasonable timeframe

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the one thing I am missing from the first HW is the whole rogues gallery. it gave the game a lot of charm fighting against these big personalities, having infighting go on between the villains, Ghirahim constantly backstabbing everyone, etc. Most of the time in AoC you're just fighting voiceless monsters. There's the two Yiga clan leaders and the OC villain but that's kinda it.

also it still bugs me that the game has voice acting now but the battlefield chatter from your allies is still silent text that you can easily miss because you're focused on fighting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's important to make use of the combat log.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

It's important to make use of the combat log.

This; im assuming it's the same in AoC but I'm still working through Hyrule Warriors 1 right now, and managing the battle with the log and commands to your allies only gets more important as you progress.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any quick level grind strategies yet? The best part about HW's 40+ roster was that you could always use rupees to quickly level some of the weaker characters to get them close to where you needed for their missions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pentyne posted:

Any quick level grind strategies yet? The best part about HW's 40+ roster was that you could always use rupees to quickly level some of the weaker characters to get them close to where you needed for their missions.

You can do the same here, you unlock the ability to do so in chapter 2

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What would be the best way to grind money? I feel I'm constantly running out.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

lunar detritus posted:

What would be the best way to grind money? I feel I'm constantly running out.

Money just seems to be tight in general, something to keep in mind is you can sell excess materials though I would keep at least 10-20 on hand in case an upgrade wants it. You do eventually unlock a repeatable "quest" that gives good money it appears in the canyon leading to the Gerudo desert and wants a hundred bananas for a thousand rupees, which you can get pretty easily by doing the Yiga hideout main mission. I didn't notice it in all the icons because it starts blue, so I'm not sure when it unlocks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Excess Bokoblin parts are usually safe to sell, usually, but remember that polishing rusty weapons costs 30 of a monster part so you don't want to sell too many.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Twelve by Pies posted:

Excess Bokoblin parts are usually safe to sell, usually, but remember that polishing rusty weapons costs 30 of a monster part so you don't want to sell too many.

Speaking of this, has anyone figured out any benefits or strategy to the rust polishing? Does better materials = better result or is it just random?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The teeth-gnashing on the Zelda subreddits about how this game doesn't fit the timeline is incredible

It’s more than they said it’d be a prequel and then they do basically a fan fiction story. I mean technically it is a prequel but

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Next time I will do the flight range and make as much progress as I can on the dungeon and stuff but for now I have an important question for the thread.

What should I name our new steed?

I’m back now. This one is a big hunk of poo poo so strap on

Worst Link’s Master Quest: Mellow Mellie

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

I like to imagine the old lady watching this and muttering "Serves you right, jackass".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I never realized you could do the thing with the plum trees, and I love it.

I like when game designers put things in games that serve no purpose other than loving with people

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

What does it mean in AoC when the little guardian is pointing to a location on the map?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I belive its just suggested next areas for you. I've had some chronically underlevelled heroes so it kept pointing to the training ground. When one of my characters weapons slots were near full, it pointed at the smith, too.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

early on it points at quests that unlock useful stuff, and if your weapons inventory is nearly full it points at the blacksmith, making for a useful reminder that it's time to start fusing again without manually checking your inventory all the time

if nothing else has priority it points at challenges in your level range, i believe. it probably prioritises challenges that unlock stuff, so it might be a good idea to do those first?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Age of Calamity is real good, I'm loving it. The characters all play uniquely so far, with some real crazy movesets. The monk and great fairy are both insane, and the end of chapter five characters all feel great and unique. Zelda feels the weakest since her moves all seem to take a while to pop out, so she has a hard time against Lynels. Great Fairy and Hestu are so big that it's really hard to see your enemies and perfect dodge stuff, which makes their incredible damage a bit more balanced I guess.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AoC owns bones, holy poo poo

Also I can’t help but feel like the cutscene in Korok forest where Link gets the Master Sword and we see Zelda look at her own empty hand just reinforces my belief that Nintendo is building us up to playable Zelda, either in BOTW2 or, hell, they may even make it a trilogy and give us playable Zelda in BOTW3

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you’re reading too much into it, it’s just her being frustrated about being unable to awaken her own powers while everyone around her effortlessly slides into their roles as destined heroes

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I think a spin off series for her to star in, under the loz name, would be fun.
I would like slightly different mechanics when playing as her though, as I really don't see a skin swap from Link to Zelda being that exciting.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

RickRogers posted:

I think a spin off series for her to star in, under the loz name, would be fun.
I would like slightly different mechanics when playing as her though, as I really don't see a skin swap from Link to Zelda being that exciting.

No enemies, the whole game is running around BotW's Hyrule with the overall objective of rebuilding Hyrule Castle and the town (and other abandoned towns along the way). Like Tarrey Town but more in depth with different materials being needed instead of just wood. Also give the people living in settlements their own routine over X days and maybe they have problems you need to solve so they move to the town or build something or start producing some materials you need.

Or maybe do have enemies but "combat" is just siccing Link on them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Kassad posted:

Or maybe do have enemies but "combat" is just siccing Link on them.

Z: Link, I require you to venture forth and secure these fortifications, whereupon I, Princes Zelda, shall unleash my full power and take the main weaponry out of commission.

L: *nods* yaaaaah!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I was imagining Zelda picking up mushrooms while Link is utterly ruining a Lynel's day in the background.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Augus posted:

you’re reading too much into it, it’s just her being frustrated about being unable to awaken her own powers while everyone around her effortlessly slides into their roles as destined heroes

I'm still annoyed that BotW didn't do this, the entire time we're seeing that Link was having trouble connecting with the Master Sword while Zelda couldn't hear the goddess, and we get flashbacks of Zelda hearing the master sword and scenes with Link hearing the goddess. They set up a swap and just didn't do it.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Kassad posted:

I was imagining Zelda picking up mushrooms while Link is utterly ruining a Lynel's day in the background.

Mushrooms can't build a kingdom!

Oh...wait

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Age of Calamity, fanfictiony as it is, is absolutely the first Zelda game I can say is really *about* Zelda and focuses on her as the protagonist.

Link is there and you start off playing as him but that is largely to emphasize that Zelda isn't really combat-capable yet and he is presented in basically the same light as the Champions. Instead the thematic story is entirely about Zelda and the conflict she has between what she loves and her duty, especially the comparison between her loving relics and technology and having magic bullshit powers. The story does a great job of building up her characterization and showing her grow from unsure and lacking-in-confidence to actively declaring herself leader of armies.. It also plays off really nicely with the fact that while her father was dismissive of her interest in things besides 'get in the loving magic, Shinji' it was actually Zelda's own curiosity and compassion that saved all of them, not her magic powers.

Zelda doesn't need to wield the Master Sword to be a protagonist and AoC is the best showing for her as a character as the centerpiece of the story instead of a McGuffin.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 27, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah as far as Link's role in AoC goes he essentially doesn't exist after he gets the Master Sword, like he's still in cutscenes and stuff but nobody really interacts with him and he isn't a focus. Such is the fate of a speechless character I suppose.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Augus posted:

all video games are necessary, give me more video games

well if you missed this one back in the day, nows your chance!

https://twitter.com/LandofObscusion/status/1332508919252586498

https://twitter.com/thedopster/status/1332345681470779393

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I guess everyone has to have a passion project.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big dick energy

https://twitter.com/smaho_neko/status/1332678773674635264?s=21

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

remastered mode gives you infinite continues so this is the definitive way to experience the games nintendo are too cowardly to rerelease

btw, poll for the thread, where do the cd-i games fit on the timeline

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

I'm still annoyed that BotW didn't do this, the entire time we're seeing that Link was having trouble connecting with the Master Sword while Zelda couldn't hear the goddess, and we get flashbacks of Zelda hearing the master sword and scenes with Link hearing the goddess. They set up a swap and just didn't do it.

I was pretty annoyed by this too, not because I needed it going in, but like you said, all the flashbacks kept hinting that the characters were missing something, that the prophecies were misinterpreted and Zelda was going about it wrong: Maybe she's not Wisdom after all? Maybe they did something wrong and that's how Ganon seizes the guardians? Then as I unlocked more flashbacks it became apparent that no, it's just completely straightforward, Zelda just needed to unlock her powers a different way and Ganon just took control of the guardians because of Evil Magic. It was annoying because it really felt like an interesting twist was being set up but it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the CD-i games are the point at which the timeline loops. the alpha and omega