Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

alternatively, fixed no brake = no rim wear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

just knee wear

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

dang

I was worried about this too, once I figured out that I could fold a piece of cardboard and stick it in the caliper when I took the wheel off it wasn't such a big deal

Just don’t pull the brake lever with the wheel out. I take wheels iff all the time and never put anything in the caliper

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

It's only an issue with hydraulic brakes and even then you just separate the pads again

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

vikingstrike posted:

Just don’t pull the brake lever with the wheel out. I take wheels iff all the time and never put anything in the caliper

I'm dumb as gently caress and pull the lever when I'm not thinking

the cardboard-in-the-caliper trick has saved me a bunch of times.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
With hydro brakes there's a chance you push a piston past the seal. If you go to your bike shop they'll give you a little plastic spacer meant for your caliper. My new bike even came with one.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 26, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
All that’s left is dialing in the fit tomorrow.

I got to sit on it tonight :3:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

while riding a bike you can do whatever you want to do as long as you arnt getting in the way of other people

its kinda zen

the traffic infrastructure cheat moves you can pull off on a bike would get you arrested in a motor vehicle

but on a bike its ok :cool:

Dude. That is 'The Flow'.

When you find it, there's nothing better.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Cold out today

Pretty though

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Guinness posted:

While rim brakes are perfectly fine, in the year 2020 there's no reason to not get disc brakes for most people. If your bike sees wet and grit at all there's no discussion, discs are better.

They're better, but expensive. If you buy an entry level road bike, the disc version is most likely going to be heavier, have worse components and cost more.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Cold out today

Pretty though

Nice shots.

What's the logo on your neck sock from? And do you ever do anything specific for your ears?

Nice giant robot in that second one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

moctopus posted:

What's the logo on your neck sock from?

A former rowing club of mine. And my ears managed pretty fine, or maybe they went numb really soon - who can say

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

This is the first non-hideous tt bike I've ever seen

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This is the first non-hideous tt bike I've ever seen

I don’t know if non-hideous is the right word, but thanks lol.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

It's ugly but in a very good way

e; Ordered a new wheelset :shepspends:

hed belgium+ alloy rims
hope rs4 hubs - purple
sapim laser spokes 28/32

should be just about 1700grams

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 26, 2020

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I somehow managed to break a chain in 2 places simultaneously today. Apparently I'm skilled...

More importantly though, what color replacement should I get? Bike is a 2020 giant defy advance 3 in blue with a 10spd tiagra setup.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:whatup: G O L D :whatup:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Went on a fun dig through groupset history off of some old single-sided 2-bolt pedals I had:

Thufir id'ed these as PD-6500, a 1997 Ultegra groupset that had SPD-SL, SPD, and clipped pedals.
348g, which is a bit heavy for today's road pedals, but still competitive with 2 sided SPD pedals.

There was an earlier Dura-Ace version of this pedal, PD-7410:
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=70BBC26F-D397-4EB2-8D68-F8198DEAE8FB&Enum=109&AbsPos=304

I've never seen the bolt on treads, which make a lot of sense if you're mounting to a road style sole (attn action jackson).

Both descended from the A525, the 1 sided counterpart to the venerable M525.
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=5550372A-3DC4-4E83-8245-7FE242C9B8D8&Enum=109&AbsPos=283
which also came in cool SNES colors

The 1 sided SPD pedal lives on in A600 and ES600, which I could see going on some weight weenie gravel bike build.

A totally different pedal I stumbled into:
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=AA0D7C3F-3241-4402-9DC2-9F07285B751B&Enum=109&AbsPos=305
Shimano had a Dyna-Drive standard, 1" 24tpi threads. Instead of a full length pedal spindle, they had a very short one, maybe hoping the bigger bearing would be enough support?

Were very light and look to be 0 stack, but I understand how hard it must be to go against one of the few sacred standards in cycling.
Also it looks goofy as hell

e: weird art bike potential, as you could thread that onto your 1" fork threads.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

The cleat on the right looks like it could be a Star Wars bounty hunter

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Yeah a fuckload of grit in the winter and spring for sure.

I replaced pads about monthly...
Yeah that'll do it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was worried about this too, once I figured out that I could fold a piece of cardboard and stick it in the caliper when I took the wheel off it wasn't such a big deal
You LBS can prob keep a shipping spacer for you. You can't overdrive your calipers with those inserted (useful for bleeding etc).

e.pilot posted:

This is the dumbest (and thus best) thing.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 27, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If you’re riding in the wet and grit all the time make sure you wipe your rims and pads off every ride if you’re worried about rim life

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

If you’re riding in the wet and grit all the time make sure you wipe your rims and pads off every ride if you’re worried about rim life

Point taken. It's hard to do when the ride is 2x5 days a week and bike storage on both ends is often in sub freezing temps though :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A quick spray down will leave a protective layer of ice on your rims

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Recommendations for good cold weather gloves? I need something with good dexterity for gravel riding down to 5C.

I lost my old PI winter gloves. :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Recommendations for good cold weather gloves? I need something with good dexterity for gravel riding down to 5C.

If you’re medium or small:
https://www.amazon.com/Answer-Sleestak-Cold-Weather-Gloves/dp/B0873DXGSW

I’ve gotten these for 30 before; 16 shipped is a good deal.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

If you’re medium or small:
https://www.amazon.com/Answer-Sleestak-Cold-Weather-Gloves/dp/B0873DXGSW

I’ve gotten these for 30 before; 16 shipped is a good deal.

Unfortunately, I have wide palms and fat fingers. Typically a large for me but I’ll dig up their sizing chart.

Danke.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's worth spending money on for a kids bike? My 3 year old has completely mastered her Strider, and is just barely tall enough for a 16" bike so we can skip 14" like I was hoping to.

I'm trying to figure out pros and cons of a Woom 3 vs a Priority Start vs something much cheaper.

I'm fairly certain that I'm willing to pay more for hand brakes vs a coaster, and lighter weight within reason. It looks like wanting hand brakes instantly puts me into a $270+ bracket, at which point the extra $100 for the woom starts to feel sane.

Woom Pros:
* Weight, ~12lbs total
* Nice chainguard
* Kickstand really far back, less likely to cause crashes if she uses it wrong.

Woom Cons:
* Price, crazy expensive for a kids bike. Can amortize this across multiple kids, at least.
* 16 spoke wheels? I'm a little concerned about durability, given that it's going to be abused

Priority Start Pros:
* Belt drive
* Tougher wheels
* $70 cheaper

Priority Start Cons:
* Good bit heavier (17lbs vs 12lbs).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Unfortunately, I have wide palms and fat fingers. Typically a large for me but I’ll dig up their sizing chart.

Danke.

They must be selling elsewhere in all sizes. I’m able to ride those to mid 30s F with bar mitts, though I do prefer bar mitts below that temp.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

What's worth spending money on for a kids bike? My 3 year old has completely mastered her Strider, and is just barely tall enough for a 16" bike so we can skip 14" like I was hoping to.

I'm trying to figure out pros and cons of a Woom 3 vs a Priority Start vs something much cheaper.

I'm fairly certain that I'm willing to pay more for hand brakes vs a coaster, and lighter weight within reason. It looks like wanting hand brakes instantly puts me into a $270+ bracket, at which point the extra $100 for the woom starts to feel sane.

Woom Pros:
* Weight, ~12lbs total
* Nice chainguard

Woom Cons:
* Price, crazy expensive for a kids bike. Can amortize this across multiple kids, at least.
* 16 spoke wheels? I'm a little concerned about durability, given that it's going to be abused

Priority Start Pros:
* Belt drive
* Tougher wheels
* $70 cheaper

Priority Start Cons:

Go full retard like i did and buy a 16” full bmx for the kid to grow into. I got my 3.5yo one of these (sounds like you got a big little kid like me) and he was riding it on his own in three months. Lots of room to grow into a bmx since they’re designed to ride small.

Not super cheap, i got a We The People Seed and spent more on it than I did my own bmx.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I had a nice Thanksgiving ride. I made some adjustments on my '53 Galmozzi and went for a 20 mile cruise. Steel + wood rims + 75psi tubulars = comfy.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Decided to give cold weather (5-10C) riding a try. Castelli Perfetto RoS gets recommended a lot as a top.

What about the rest? Will bib shorts with separate leg pieces work or do I need long bib pants?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Woom Pros:
* Weight, ~12lbs total
* Nice chainguard

Woom Cons:

Priority Start Pros:
* Belt drive
* Tougher wheels
* $70 cheaper

Priority Start Cons:
Belt isn't an advantage, little humans just don't stretch chains. Same with wheels, a 15kg kid could hit a wall at full speed and they wouldn't damage a drat thing.
Hand brakes are very good provided they can squeeze them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gamera009 posted:

45NRTH Nokken have been great for me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

rope kid posted:

I had a nice Thanksgiving ride. I made some adjustments on my '53 Galmozzi and went for a 20 mile cruise. Steel + wood rims + 75psi tubulars = comfy.

This is a cool bike. How well do wood rims work and hold up to wear and tear?

Also drat that is a tiny cassette and a not very small chainring. Climbing must not be a sit and spin affair on that thing. Gosh modern gearsets have made me soft.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

I like the cut of your jib. Gold chain it is!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Dictator. posted:

Decided to give cold weather (5-10C) riding a try. Castelli Perfetto RoS gets recommended a lot as a top.

What about the rest? Will bib shorts with separate leg pieces work or do I need long bib pants?

Roubaix bib tights (eg), a long sleeve thermal jersey and a wind shell would be enough for moderate temps like that. Add a base layer for below 5.

gamera009 posted:

Sealskinz are my go to for winter gloves. But if I lost them tomorrow, I'd probably go try one of those knit ones like theirs or the Showers Pass version.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm really happy with my full bib tights (Pearl Izumi amfib). The only issue is having to do laundry to ride every day when it's cold but I probably don't really need two pairs of them. Also you wear enough poo poo on one ride in the winter so there's plenty to put in the washing machine.

The other thing I'm really liking are the new winter shoes. Been out on rides in the 20s and the feet stay comfy. Only downside, I'm tall, and can feel the cold air on my ankles.

My poc thermal gloves are nice but they're probably overpriced at retail. I was worried they were too tight at first but after wearing them a few times they fit perfectly now. Good dexterity, warm enough for low 30s. I expect I'll eventually wear a hole on the edge of my right index finger, that's where all my gloves fail and I wish mfgs would put a little reinforcement strip there where you're rubbing the edge of the brake/shift lever. Maybe I should do that myself with aquaseal or something. They don't quite cut it on really cold days but I feel like you just need bar ends at that point. Something like those big lobster gloves would be nice but am unsure on how that's going to work on the mtb where I want my middle finger around the bars.

The pearl izumi pro insulated jacket is light and warm, but missing a few features that would make it better. it's a little boxy and shapeless for a "pro" level piece, and also doesn't have wrist closures so they just kind of hang open and funnel cold air up your sleeves. The front pockets are also useless for riding and have tiny zipper pulls that you can't really open with gloves. There is a rear pocket that holds a phone pretty well at least. I wish I'd noticed that poc thermal jacket or the giro one. I get a pretty solid deal on both and they both seem to be cut a little better for riding a bike and the giro has neat wrist sleeve things and better pockets.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 28, 2020

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Guinness posted:

This is a cool bike. How well do wood rims work and hold up to wear and tear?

Also drat that is a tiny cassette and a not very small chainring. Climbing must not be a sit and spin affair on that thing. Gosh modern gearsets have made me soft.
Thanks. I have less than 100 miles on this bike so I can't really say, but wood rims were used for quite a while and were pretty durable. I imagine the sorts of things that would wreck an aluminum rim would also wreck these, but they seem pretty tough.

Yeah I went for something that wasn't too gnarly, gearing-wise. I originally struggled trying to get some wide range nonsense going and it just wouldn't work with the derailleurs/clearance of the frame. It's 50/38 in front and 13-24 in back, IIRC. I haven't done any wild climbing on it yet, but it seems fine.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Dictator. posted:

Rather than bib tights, I have a couple of pairs of unpadded over tights. I wear them over the top of my regular bib shorts which means I get a few wears out of them before they need a wash (because you just wash the bib shorts as usual). Handy if you winter ride but don’t want to buy multiple pairs of winter bibs - the unpadded tights tend to be a fair bit cheaper too.

Make sure you have something for your hands and feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Rather than bib tights, I have a couple of pairs of unpadded over tights. I wear them over the top of my regular bib shorts which means I get a few wears out of them before they need a wash (because you just wash the bib shorts as usual). Handy if you winter ride but don’t want to buy multiple pairs of winter bibs - the unpadded tights tend to be a fair bit cheaper too.

This
Also I use thinner tights meant for running under my bib shorts when the temps are in the low teens, the bib shorts keep them up, and a toilet stop isn’t too fraught.