Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

in my opinion baby yoda's name was actually Groku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, they're doing a Ahsoka spin off right. That was the highly successful backdoor pilot and they've already greenlit it, right

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1332371864145055745

No! Nooooo!

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 27, 2020

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Alan Smithee posted:

"Hi, I'm Luuke"

I want to see this happen now.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anyone else get the vibe that the woman who played the Magistrate was another possible casting choice for Ahsoka before they decided to go with a name?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

zoux posted:

So, they're doing a Ahsoka spin off right. That was the highly successful backdoor pilot and they've already greenlit it, right

I can only hope. I would assume they want to expand the popularity of the episodical story. I would be surprised if we don't see multiple series of starwars. My big hope is a series that takes place in the age of KOTOR.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

And good lord the art direction, set design and general aesthetic of this episode, very impressive.

You can very much see a massive improvement in Filoni's direction this episode. I was pretty lukewarm on his episodes last season, but he sure as poo poo took great care to ensure Ahsoka's live-action debut was done right. He clearly didn't want to let the fans down, and it shows; it's a such a stunning episode.

That said, what hits me the most is just how perfectly Filoni and Dawson translated Ahsoka to live-action. Dawson in particular nails so many nuanced mannerisms — both in her physical acting and line delivery — that I feel like could be lifted verbatim from the animated shows.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I want to see this happen now.

Is there any lore as to Ashoka being aware of luke? She would have to know about the empire falling and the Jedi that helped it happen right? Did she even know Vader had kids at all? My EU knowledge is limited.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tython is the starter planet for Jedi in the KOTOR MMO so I hope you're ready to collect loth cat asses in exchange for green bracers Groku

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I saw this pointed out on Twitter earlier, but, uhh... does everyone remember what happened the last time someone gave a character played by Pedro Pascal a spear? Because, um... :psyboom:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't think of that but lol now that you mention it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I saw this pointed out on Twitter earlier, but, uhh... does everyone remember what happened the last time someone gave a character played by Pedro Pascal a spear? Because, um... :psyboom:

Lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah it was the funniest moment in television history

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

Anyone else get the vibe that the woman who played the Magistrate was another possible casting choice for Ahsoka before they decided to go with a name?

Dawson had been actively lobbying to play Ahsoka for a long while, and she's been a fan favorite casting. I'm sure others were considered, but I feel like Filoni always knew once Dawson expressed interest in the character that she would be the one to bring her into live-action.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Elentor posted:

Thanks. That was 3 hours learning to edit and finding the right spot to place the song just to make this, I have no regrets.

This is the Way.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah that was pretty much everything I could have hoped for. The combo of wild west and samurai was great, especially since I'm an old fan of edo jidai movies. I look forward to the eventual use of Chekov's beskar spear. I thought Rosario Dawson was great as an older Ahsoka, and the reveal of her quest to find Thrawn had me shouting in delight.

It reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjsazHO0c0

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I really enjoyed the episode, but like many others I hope that the Ahsoka/Thrawn plot is either used as a springboard for a separate series, or just never mentioned again, with the strands being picked up in whatever animated show Filoni does next. This show's scope should remain small and as unconnected to the galaxy's big players as possible. I like the idea of The Mandalorian being a series you can show to a "normal person" without having to explain years of backstory to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Wars is at its highest power level when it apes samurai or western tropes. To do both at once...well, I've seen this kind of raw power only once before

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Elentor posted:

Thanks. That was 3 hours learning to edit and finding the right spot to place the song just to make this, I have no regrets.

I’ve been showing it to anyone I know has already seen the episode. It’s been getting a great response (but I’m trying to be careful, due to spoilers). But seriously, great job.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

piL posted:

Re: The fight with Elsbeth and Ashoka not smoking her immediately

While Ashoka would have wanted to make sure she didn't kill Elsbeth, my theory on why Elsbeth held her own for a bit is that Elsbeth was a survivor of order 66 who never built a new lightsaber, or one of those force sensitives found too late. Ashoka is wandering around, and 'cleaning up' when she starts chasing a lead on some powerful guy named Thrawn who absolutely must be connected to the force to be that in tune with the world around him, right? He isn't.

Her being a from Jedha would also be pretty cool.

just because someone is good at fighting doesnt mean they have to be force-sensitive

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I had watched a lot of Ghost of Tsushima twitch streams — a game clearly inspired by Kurosawa — over the last several months, and a large part of what makes the game so great is its presentation. I now want a Ghost of Tsushima style game but with Ahsoka as the character you play as.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm glad they officially made Yaddle apocrypha.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Maybe I imagined things but when the two halves of the gong fell to the floor, didn't it sound like the first two notes of the main theme?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

This episode loving whipped but I have a minor gripe that Ahsoka felt more like a generic NPC Jedi than her actual character. Also I was really hoping than when Elsbeth took her cloak off she would throw it aside and it'd get carried away by a gust of wind but I guess that's too much to ask for

Dave Syndrome posted:

I really enjoyed the episode, but like many others I hope that the Ahsoka/Thrawn plot is either used as a springboard for a separate series, or just never mentioned again, with the strands being picked up in whatever animated show Filoni does next. This show's scope should remain small and as unconnected to the galaxy's big players as possible. I like the idea of The Mandalorian being a series you can show to a "normal person" without having to explain years of backstory to them.

It definitely feels more like a quick line to explain what Ahsoka is doing on this planet in the first place. Yeah, she's tracking down a big Imperial baddie but it's specifically this big Imperial baddie because of Thrawn (and probably Ezra). I don't think this show is going to pursue it further.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I figured we'd get to Ahsoka in the third act after another long quest, but nope! Here she is right now, doing cool stuff.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

It still amazes me that everyone shits on JJ when it’s clearly board executives made it hell for him and other director creators in terms of timelines. Clearly JJ wanted Finn and Ray as a couple maybe, and because China or whatever that idea got scrapped. I’m not saying ROS is some masterpiece, but considering the behind the scenes bullshit I’m actually amazed the movie works as well as it does. And yes, last Jedi had some cool ideas but Johnson took the set up’s from FA and sort of threw them away because he thought the fandom needed to eat some broccoli, with very mixed results. He also treated Finn like garbage. It’s also the only Star Wars movie without a proper light saber duel.
Also, and this is a huge pet peeve, but what the hell was up with the light sabers only being blue and red. Luke’s green should have shown up more than just a loving flash back, and rays at the very end was cool I guess but not used.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kanine posted:

just because someone is good at fighting doesnt mean they have to be force-sensitive

Plus they have something you want them to tell you, so murdering them with all the ease of a bear killing a squirrel is useless.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kanine posted:

Yes but it helps with not having your weapon force pulled away or getting force pushed into a pond. And is a reason people in this setting have masters. And the jedi are a people that were destroyed during the clone wars.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

badjohny posted:

Is there any lore as to Ashoka being aware of luke? She would have to know about the empire falling and the Jedi that helped it happen right? Did she even know Vader had kids at all? My EU knowledge is limited.

Honestly, I don't know how famous/known Luke actually is in the new Disney canon. Sure Vader and the Emperor knew of him, but I haven't read any of the "Aftermath" stuff. Just guessing at it, I'd have expected Luke to shun fame after the Empire's fall. Even before that, it seems unlikely that the Rebellion would have released Luke's name as the one who destroyed the first Death Star as they wouldn't want the Empire to attempt to use his friends on Tatooine as hostages against him.

Figure in most people's minds, the one who killed Vader and the Emperor was Lando Calrissian when he led the attack that blew up the second Death Star.

Given all that it's easily possible that Ahsoka would be completely ignorant of Luke Skywalker's existence.

The truth is that Ahsoka's suggestion to Din was probably somewhat for her benefit as much as his. The only other Force user that Ahsoka would really know about would be Ezra Bridger who's she's trying to find. The reason she's looking for Thrawn is that Grand Admiral Thrawn would be a name that various people would know. Since Erza was last with Thrawn, if she finds Thrawn she can find Bridger. Starting her search with questions like "Where is Ezra Bridger?" would be met with "I dunno. Who the gently caress is that?"

Meanwhile that bit about memorable first times sounded a little like flirting. Having encountered Din, does Ahsoka want to hit that - and not with a lightsaber?

Given that we know what Pedro Pascal looks like, the answer is obviously "Hells yes!"

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 27, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dave Syndrome posted:

"Mando though we jedi and your people are ancient enemies, join me in the rebellion, the empire is back and b building a fleet. Like literally copying and pasting over and over they dont even have enough people to staff these star destroyers unless they clone enough emperors to run them. Which brings me to my second po-"

"or we could get married and settle down on Mandalore. You kill people for hire and I hunt and gather and also occasionally kill people for money"

*credits*

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah I think it's pretty clear if Ahsoka wanted to kill the magistrate, she would be dead. Much harder to subdue for interrogation.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so like if I wanted to know who Thrawn is or who Ahsoka is or whatever can someone pretty please recommend an episode guide or a comic book or whatever. That was super badass and way better than I was expecting. I hated Grogu at the first reading and then was completely 180 and went like "oh yeah that makes sense that's def a yoda name ok cool" but Mando is probably still gonna call him 'kid' alot.

Ahsoka Tano was Anakin Skywalker's (Darth Vader) padawan apprentice through the clone wars.

Grand Admiral Thrawn is much lesser known. He's a chiss (blue skin red glowing eyes human) who is so good at his job that the human-supremacist empire couldn't justify not putting him in his position due to racism. He's a strategic genius and one of the most dangerous non-force users in the galaxy.

Every time he was directly involved in a battle against the rebel alliance they had to go into full retreat.

He even could have defeated the nascant rebellion. He was in charge of a space superiority Tie Defender program. Tie fighters to be mass produced with hyperspace travel, powerful cannons, and shields. But imperial incompetency ruined it.

To illustrate what Thrawn is like as a imperial leader, the heroes of the story are escaping and the tractor beam operator fails to capture them due to incompetency. So he has them executed.

Later on a similar situation happens and the replacement operator fails to capture them as well. But on delivering his report and expecting execution Thrawn promotes him. The operator showed initiative and quick thinking but circumstances outside his control were why he failed, not incompetency.

Basically in a world of black and white Thrawn is the ultimate pragmatist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LionArcher posted:

. And yes, last Jedi had some cool ideas but Johnson took the set up’s from FA and sort of threw them away

This is untrue. The only setup from TFA that TLJ does not directly follow up on is Maz's line "thats a story for another time" regarding her having Luke's old saber.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This show is fantastic. I'm glad Star Wars recovered from Episode 9.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bill Burr talked poo poo about Star Wars and wound up in one

my theory is that once Disney's power consolidation is final and absolute, all of humanity will be made to participate in a star wars, with those harboring negative thought crimes to be made front and center

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

jivjov posted:

This is untrue. The only setup from TFA that TLJ does not directly follow up on is Maz's line "thats a story for another time" regarding her having Luke's old saber.

I think it's more the last jedi's follow-ups are there to subvert expectations for the director's sake rather than be satisfying.

I personally liked the idea Rey's parents were nobodies because they goes with theme of anyone can be a hero they pushed. But clearly from the onset this kinda wasn't the plan.

So when people say it didn't matter is because clearly Johnson could have developed things jlbut just kinda dropped them. Look at Phasma for instance.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also was that little critter in the back alley scene while the guards are hunting/getting owned by Ahsoka a lothcat? :3:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

Also was that little critter in the back alley scene while the guards are hunting/getting owned by Ahsoka a lothcat? :3:

Yes! You can even catch a convor watching over Ahsoka in the forest scene.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Just an idea - what if the Boba Fett spinoff series is going to be tied in with the Ahsoka/Thrawn stuff?

You'd still have the "low stakes" Mando show, but parallel to that a show that includes better known side characters who had a connection to the big players. Fett worked for Vader, Ahsoka knew Vader, Ahsoka now also knows that not all Mandalorians are bad people, and teaming up with a (possibly remeemed) Fett might be fun, especially if he reminds her of some of her clone buddies from the war. It might be a show to appeal to the (even) more hardcore fans, with more overt ties to the movies, the animated shows and the EU in general, and maybe, as someone before me pointed out, it even might do some work towards making the sequel trilogy make a bit more sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think it's more the last jedi's follow-ups are there to subvert expectations for the director's sake rather than be satisfying.

I personally liked the idea Rey's parents were nobodies because they goes with theme of anyone can be a hero they pushed. But clearly from the onset this kinda wasn't the plan.

So when people say it didn't matter is because clearly Johnson could have developed things jlbut just kinda dropped them. Look at Phasma for instance.

Subversion of audience expectations is not "for the director's sake". That's just how drama works. And it's not like Star Wars has never done the unexpected before. Look at the darling film Empire Strikes Back--the great Jedi master Luke seeks out turns out to be a Muppet. As in Jim Henson himself consulted on construction of that puppet.

"Subverting expectations" has become weird Internet shorthand for "doing something random solely to piss off viewers" but that is 100% not what happens in TLJ.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
After Elsbeth knocks away one of Ahsoka's lightsabers, Ahsoka switches to her reverse grip Shien style and ends the duel in the next exchange, which leads me to believe Ahsoka wasn't taking it serious at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The show is so western/samurai flick that they even had Ahsoka do the Toshiro Mifune 'tuck your arms inside your robe' iconic thing.