Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Maybe its just because I haven't really examined FF7's translation, but what are the parts that people are saying were almost incomprehensible? I know there's gaffs and hiccups like "This guy are sick" etc but I didn't think there was any point where I didn't understand the main thrust of what the story was trying to tell me. Then again, last time I replayed it was earlier this year and 20+ years of supplementary material and plot examination on the internet might be influencing my memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoblade 2 suffers a bit from most of Rex's development feeling way too early (this guy I've known for 2 hours who died to save me's final words will now guide my whole life, and also he gave me his mercenary company and they are all somehow ok with this) with a long gap of nothing and then really backloaded (exposing all of his buried feelings of inadequacy, responsibility, and guilt over not giving a clear answer to a girl who's in love with him in a 10 minute span of 3 miniboss fights), but he's also not really the main character so it can be forgiven a bit. Apart from that and Morag being just kinda there for the most part, I think it's pretty well paced. Side quests that help flesh out the world and a lot of its implications being locked behind gacha stuff is a bit annoying, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 27, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Funnily enough "this guy are sick" wasn't even the only translation error regarding that guy, there's another NPC outside who is supposed to be talking about what bad shape he must be in since he didn't react in any way to the pillar collapse, but due to another mistranslation he directs those lines at the party instead. The man has a real language-warping aura around him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Maybe its just because I haven't really examined FF7's translation, but what are the parts that people are saying were almost incomprehensible? I know there's gaffs and hiccups like "This guy are sick" etc but I didn't think there was any point where I didn't understand the main thrust of what the story was trying to tell me. Then again, last time I replayed it was earlier this year and 20+ years of supplementary material and plot examination on the internet might be influencing my memories.
There's actual characterization and story details that are messed up due to the TL. Mostly minor ones, but they're still there. For instance, Aerith says in the TL that she and Tseng have known each other since they were kids, but Tseng's nearly a decade older than her and the JP just reads that she's known him since she was a kid. It's a minor timeline/characterization detail but it's still a pretty bad thing to mess up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, also, Rune Factory 4 is a fun game, the farming is fairly indepth, combat is okay, and the loop of going out to do combat stuff to farm to get money to plant more stuff to get mats to upgrade your equipment to go out to do dungeons, etc, is good, but imo its biggest strength is the writing. Unlike a harvest moon/story of seasons game where people repeat the same five lines depending on season, rf4 has enough lines that you'll very rarely run into repeated stuff, barring points in the game's story where everyone's gonna be talking about the plot to remind you to go do it. And barring being a completionist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like 4/5 for Xenogears' completeness is really generous.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Did the steam or switch releases of FF7 ever retranslate it? I think the PSX version has a fan retranslation, but I'm wondering if it ever got an official second pass.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the original pc port gave it a slight touch up that all ports since have used but it further messes up as much as it fixes and it mostly only touches midgar. the fan retranslation isn't perfect either. honestly even ff9 is a game that needs a second editing pass

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like 4/5 for Xenogears' completeness is really generous.

It tells a complete story, just sometimes through massive blocks of text on a black background

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

There's actual characterization and story details that are messed up due to the TL. Mostly minor ones, but they're still there. For instance, Aerith says in the TL that she and Tseng have known each other since they were kids, but Tseng's nearly a decade older than her and the JP just reads that she's known him since she was a kid. It's a minor timeline/characterization detail but it's still a pretty bad thing to mess up.

That is odd. Although Tseng age is still weird since in the Remake he looks exactly the same in Aerith's flashbacks as he does in the present. Maybe he's just got really good moisturizer.

I thought there was some bigger issues though, since it was getting mentioned alongside Wild Arms 2.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If you know Japanese, you can download a file here with both the original FF7 text and the translation side-by-side (unused dialogue and whatnot is in there too), can for example put it in google docs or whatever and Ctrl-F for whichever lines one is curious about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crowetron posted:

That is odd. Although Tseng age is still weird since in the Remake he looks exactly the same in Aerith's flashbacks as he does in the present. Maybe he's just got really good moisturizer.

I thought there was some bigger issues though, since it was getting mentioned alongside Wild Arms 2.
I mean, the grammar and general tone breaks constantly. You can tell just by FF7 remake that they write Barret a bit dumber than he's meant to be in the original TL, for instance, and the TL also does a really, really bad job communicating that Red's meant to be his race's equivalent to a teenager.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Commander Keene posted:

Did the steam or switch releases of FF7 ever retranslate it? I think the PSX version has a fan retranslation, but I'm wondering if it ever got an official second pass.

afaik, the new (like 2014??) rerelease of the pc version fixed up some lines (which the switch etc versions carry over), but i don't think it's a whole second pass

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They got rid of some of the worst lines (this guy are sick etc.) but it 99% the same as the PS1 script.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Xenogears owns because it had giant robots while other jrpgs on the PSX were mostly fantasy stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And yet no one remembers Vanguard Bandits....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

super robot wars alpha gaiden is a better psx mech game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean if we count Srpgs, all of Super Robot wars during that era

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

i will never forget vanguard bandits

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Xenogears has two (maybe three? I don't remember) tournament arcs on one disc. It also had a ghost ship. If it had a fishing minigame it would be the most JRPG of all JRPGs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Xenogears actually made me a bit motion sick in battles when I tried to play. It was weird.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crowetron posted:

If it had a fishing minigame it would be the most JRPG of all JRPGs.

it does

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh man, I forgot about the rocks! Xenogears truly is the total package.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

They got rid of some of the worst lines (this guy are sick etc.) but it 99% the same as the PS1 script.

Yeah, Tifa still drops the r-bomb on the stairs too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I mean if we count Srpgs, all of Super Robot wars during that era

Xenogears is better than Impact.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, Tifa still drops the r-bomb on the stairs too.

The White Dragon posted:

i will never forget vanguard bandits

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone ported over the english translation of vandal hearts to the saturn version that has some exclusive added content

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5770/

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's everyone favorite JRPG on the PSX that isn't a mainline Final Fantasy or DQ title? I only had FF and Chrono Cross growing up, although I remember renting Brave Fencer Musashi a million times but that's more of an action/platformer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elderbean posted:

What's everyone favorite JRPG on the PSX that isn't a mainline Final Fantasy or DQ title? I only had FF and Chrono Cross growing up, although I remember renting Brave Fencer Musashi a million times but that's more of an action/platformer.

I have a soft spot for Thousand Arms even if the sprites are awful and the camera movement makes me motion sick.

Azure Dreams, also. I wouldn't call them favourites but I'm fond of 'em.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elderbean posted:

Not exactly super obscure but probably Valkyrie Profile or Grandia.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Parasite Eve, babey!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Elderbean posted:

I mean it's gotta be Suikoden II. I feel like that game also didn't exactly have a five-star localization, maybe another game I should try replaying in JP now.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Elderbean posted:

I looooove SaGa Frontier 2, it's a janky game but there's so much good stuff packed in there.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Making me choose between legend of legaia and saga frontier is p cruel. I feel like both would end up on my favorite games list quite high.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Me, the sole Arc The Lad fan.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Elderbean posted:

As much as I want to say Wild Arms because I love that game, I'd probably have to say it's actually Front Mission 3. I have played that game through more than I have any other, and even come back to it emulated.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have a soft spot for Thousand Arms even if the sprites are awful and the camera movement makes me motion sick.

Azure Dreams, also. I wouldn't call them favourites but I'm fond of 'em.

Hell yea :hfive:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a tossup between Front Mission 3 if that counts and Breath of Fire IV.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Does Monster Rancher 2 count as a rpg? Cause if so that.

If not Vagrant Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Saga Frontier Remaster what?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYnCp7_fh7M