Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If they hadn't literally just blown a version of it, Mark Tedin doing creepy organic looking rocks for brown old border versions of common commander rocks/lands would be amazing. Dark Sphere, Red Mana Battery and Mana Matrix are all basically the perfect early magic artifact art for me https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Aartifact+artist%3Atedin

Dark Sphere especially is such an incredible piece for such a nothing card

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not really a fan of the fae of wishes one, but the Thwart the Grave and Soul Shatter are all-time greats
Yeah those are excellent pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spiderdrake posted:

If they hadn't literally just blown a version of it, Mark Tedin doing creepy organic looking rocks for brown old border versions of common commander rocks/lands would be amazing. Dark Sphere, Red Mana Battery and Mana Matrix are all basically the perfect early magic artifact art for me https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Aartifact+artist%3Atedin

Dark Sphere especially is such an incredible piece for such a nothing card
Yeah those are excellent pieces

Cubes, spheres, cone?? My dude loves his geometric shapes!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
ohhhh yeah Mark Tedin is the bomb. His style so defined what an 'artifact' was in the early days. It has a kind of unnaturally organic feel to it.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
it reminds me of the original Doom, just very boxy bizarre and colorful. absolutely love to see a tedin

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually really like Composite Golem and it's flavour text. That's a neat looking art a neat looking card and a very wholesome flavour.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yoooooo

Secret Lair: Richard Mufuggin Kane THE GOAT Ferguson

The "Horny for Gears" Secret Lair, featuring four buxom redheads in corsets painted by Phil Foglio.

e: i should dig my xxxenophile cards out of storage and throw them away before i die

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 28, 2020

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

boo_radley posted:

The "Horny for Gears" Secret Lair, featuring four buxom redheads in corsets painted by Phil Foglio.
the first secret lair I'd actually want

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Secret lair: Foglio monsters ripping underwater rear end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got some commander legends collectors packs and these shits come pre-pringled. check these two full-art foils between the port razer and jeska.

they need to switch to all etched foils ASAP. not only do they look so, so much better, all the ones I got are both gorgeous and also perfectly flat.

edit: lol you can actually see the curve on the jeska even when it's flat. unreal.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

This is amazing and it's sad that it will almost certainly never see print in paper.

If I remember correctly the art on the original was by Richard Garfield's aunt who wasnt so much an artist as an 'artist'.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

got some commander legends collectors packs and these shits come pre-pringled. check these two full-art foils between the port razer and jeska.

they need to switch to all etched foils ASAP. not only do they look so, so much better, all the ones I got are both gorgeous and also perfectly flat.

edit: lol you can actually see the curve on the jeska even when it's flat. unreal.

I opened two boxes of Legends at my buddies house (his boxes, none for me, thanks!) and not only were his pulls crap, Legends is just the lowest quality printing of a set I’ve literally ever seen. 1/3rd of the cards look completely washed out, like they were water damaged and left to dry, and they look drab and grey. Foils are coming curled in pack, off a booster box still in the plastic wrap! Everything besides the Etched Foils looks like poo poo! Everything but the 3-4 chase mythics will crater in value because these cards are just the worst actual printings of cards in perhaps our lifetime.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I cracked a couple packs on a lark and the hologram stamp on the rares was hosed up lol. Did get a foil orzhov commanderland tho.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I cracked a couple packs on a lark and the hologram stamp on the rares was hosed up lol. Did get a foil orzhov commanderland tho.

You can get a premium for that if you sell on the misprints Facebook group.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Arena has a 50g for 550g deal today.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Arena has a 50g for 550g deal today.
For another half hour.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

tbh and I am sorry for saying this but I dunno why people keep buying heavily-foiled products like collector boosters and foil secret lairs, at this point you guys just look like suckers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dysgenesis posted:

This is amazing and it's sad that it will almost certainly never see print in paper.

If I remember correctly the art on the original was by Richard Garfield's aunt who wasnt so much an artist as an 'artist'.

the original is literally one of the best art in the game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Baku posted:

tbh and I am sorry for saying this but I dunno why people keep buying heavily-foiled products like collector boosters and foil secret lairs, at this point you guys just look like suckers

Anyone who buys anything but singles is a sucker, yeah.
I also like to collect those oversized cards (commander face cards) and it was getting really terrible with those.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the original is literally one of the best art in the game

yea she's a legit career artist and was doing her nephew a favor, not the other way around: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fay_Jones_(artist)

the art for stasis is crude but visually interesting, i'd much prefer more of that over digital renderings of someone in an action pose looking away from the camera at exactly a 45 degree angle

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Captain Invictus posted:

Are those the Pokémon foils? I’ve always wanted those for mtg cards but only if they use up the whole card space and not just a tiny box.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Original Stasis and Seb Stasis both have great art. If only it were on a less irritating card,

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chill la Chill posted:

Are those the Pokémon foils? I’ve always wanted those for mtg cards but only if they use up the whole card space and not just a tiny box.

Pokemon had several versions on foiling these days

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

Pokemon had several versions on foiling these days

Boy do they

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm blown away that it took mtg as long as it did to do full-arts even remotely as good as pokemon's, and equally blown away that yugioh has even less interesting foiling than mtg's (although from what i've seen of them yugioh foils don't turn into pringles upon contact with oxygen so that's a plus)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
To be fair, in pokemon's case they don't care if the card is unreadable. Or unplayable. Mostly through trial and error they figured out what was good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chill la Chill posted:

video/image doesn't do etched foils justice, you've gotta see them in hand, but they're really, really nice. way different from the normal magic foils. it's not a smooth chrome finish or anything, but almost...stippled, maybe? and the metallic foiling is very precise, instead of regular foils and their just blanket foiling with a few highlights. it really works well and looks so good, they really should have just switched over entirely.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

To be fair, in pokemon's case they don't care if the card is unreadable. Or unplayable. Mostly through trial and error they figured out what was good.

In fairness, a tri colour pokemon is basically never worth playing in any context so might as well make the picture pretty

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HootTheOwl posted:

To be fair, in pokemon's case they don't care if the card is unreadable

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Captain Invictus posted:

video/image doesn't do etched foils justice, you've gotta see them in hand, but they're really, really nice. way different from the normal magic foils. it's not a smooth chrome finish or anything, but almost...stippled, maybe? and the metallic foiling is very precise, instead of regular foils and their just blanket foiling with a few highlights. it really works well and looks so good, they really should have just switched over entirely.

I've only got one in person, but the etched foiling draws attention to everything except Bruse Tarl's manly physique, so I can't say I'm a fan of the effect. I do give it an A+ for not curling, but non-foils do that pretty well, too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

These were supposed to be promos you got in the mail for the most iconic of cards. Then they did reciprocate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
COUNTER BOUNCE TAP DRAW
who needs text?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bust Rodd posted:

COUNTER BOUNCE TAP DRAW
who needs text?

-Put a charge counter on target land

-Return target land you control to your opponents hand

-Tap all tapped permanents

-The game ends in a draw

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Captain Invictus posted:

I forget there are multiple types. My favorite are the foils which look like they have contours. The other effect like the snorlax looks really good too. Maybe mtg will start doing those once they’ve milked the end of the masters line and start doing things like box toppers random box packs signed etched foils with Guay signatures.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Bust Rodd posted:

COUNTER BOUNCE TAP DRAW
who needs text?

So, I was on hiatus when Cryptic command was printed. When I first had ot played against me, it was a textless version. I still have a swell of pity for my poor opponent who had to explain what the card did, because it absolutely sounded like he was making the card up as he went along.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Where's hardened scales at in the modern meta? It's always looked fun to play

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ilmucche posted:

It's more Pioneer-y

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

died with opal

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Xaerael posted:

It's more Pioneer-y

isn't it also effectively dead in pioneer with the ballista ban etc.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ilmucche posted:

the deck has been dead for like a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

It's not unplayable but you're going to get got by people who just want to cryptic-lock you or gain 8 life a turn off omnath