Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

iirc, she wasn't complaining about people saying they liked masks, she was complaining about people wearing cute masks with patterns and stuff. Because that made it seem like they liked wearing masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gripweed posted:

iirc, she wasn't complaining about people saying they liked masks, she was complaining about people wearing cute masks with patterns and stuff. Because that made it seem like they liked wearing masks.

how dare people try to make the best of a bad situation (?)

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

projecthalaxy posted:

how dare people try to make the best of a bad situation (?)

Channeling my galaxy brain powers I think the idea is that the people will accept this as life, as good, as how things should be, instead of being mad and yelling.

Irs not her worst take but it's nuclear.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

that's a surprisingly negative view of people who can sew and have scrap fabric on hand from someone who thinks they're a fan of trad households

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i don't know i think people should hate this and be angry that things got to this point because otherwise we just normalize it as we've done with the innumerable other awful things about our country

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you know someone repurposed a gas mask they originally used for smoking weed

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

that's a surprisingly negative view of people who can sew and have scrap fabric on hand from someone who thinks they're a fan of trad households

Yes she's mad at people who can sew and not at the idea of normalizing this bullshit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shipon posted:

i don't know i think people should hate this and be angry that things got to this point because otherwise we just normalize it as we've done with the innumerable other awful things about our country

Yeah, the masks should be ugly as hell! They should have swear words and insults directed at the wearer on them so everybody remembers to be mad about masks all the time.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i am glad if masks become normalized because it makes my job much easier (bank robber)

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

What I got from that old article was ultimately that the pandemic situation enables a kind of misanthropic liberal who believes the public must be carefully herded into good behavior, which makes even saying that you don't enjoy wearing a mask into a threat to public order which must be suppressed. But

bedpan posted:

not going to lie, but I kind of like the idea of wearing masks in public

Agreed, I've always been a little jealous of like Tokyo's general acceptance of it. Pre-pandemic it seemed like wearing a mask, no matter the reason, would be taken as a signal that there's something terribly wrong with you, because everything in American life is a matter of personal success or failure.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the mask hides my ongoing Jokerfication which some find off-putting so it's useful in that respect.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

they're very useful for avoiding messy interactions while transitioning

it's an odd boon for an otherwise awful necessity

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

sleeptalker posted:

What I got from that old article was ultimately that the pandemic situation enables a kind of misanthropic liberal who believes the public must be carefully herded into good behavior, which makes even saying that you don't enjoy wearing a mask into a threat to public order which must be suppressed. But

Agreed, I've always been a little jealous of like Tokyo's general acceptance of it. Pre-pandemic it seemed like wearing a mask, no matter the reason, would be taken as a signal that there's something terribly wrong with you, because everything in American life is a matter of personal success or failure.

there's a difference between this which is good and would certainly help flu season in general be less awful, and whatever the libs are doing with the cutesy poo poo

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dumper Humper posted:

Yes she's mad at people who can sew and not at the idea of normalizing this bullshit.

if you're mad at masks with cutesy colors then you're mad at people wearing hand-sewn masks with scrap fabric. this all seems very much like some aesthetics first bullshit but I haven't seen her actual argument, just what goons here are saying

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It was cute masks, but from the way she wrote it it just seemed like her google alerts were alerting her to an anime cosplay store that was pointing her to anime schoolgirl style facemasks like with kitty faces and poo poo and compared it to making Mickey Mouse gasmasks for kids -> making this act some sort of aesthetic signaling of being "a good person". Despite the fact that yes most of this is either that or indie fashion people realizing they could turn those into interesting accessorizing rather than just people tut-tuting others for not wearing masks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

it's bad to normalize wearing masks because actually it shouldn't be normal that we half-heartedly tell the fancy white people office jobs to move to online only while doing absolutely no further work towards doing a quarantine or anything at all to stop the pandemic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wearing them in general is different ofc. i mean everyone, all the time, like now

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
I probably wouldn't dislike wearing a mask so much if we didn't get 5000 new photos every day of powerful people not doing it and knowing deep in our bones that they will never face any repercussions be they professional, social, or physical for not doing so

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fluoride Jones posted:

I probably wouldn't dislike wearing a mask so much if we didn't get 5000 new photos every day of powerful people not doing it and knowing deep in our bones that they will never face any repercussions be they professional, social, or physical for not doing so

everyone, sit perfectly still at home. only -I- can attend Thanksgiving with my family. *does the Cuomo dance*

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

reminding me of that article Amber wrote about how she hates masks and it's weird that some people actually like wearing masks (no one likes it, they do it because they are trying to do the right thing).

that was from back in May.

You didn't actually read the article did you?

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Victory Position posted:

everyone, sit perfectly still at home. only -I- can attend Thanksgiving with my family. *does the Cuomo dance*

Someone loving explain to me why the liquor stores in my city close at 9pm but bars were still loving open for indoor service untill like a week ago

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

OctoberCountry posted:

You didn't actually read the article did you?

yeah?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

it's bad to normalize wearing masks because actually it shouldn't be normal that we half-heartedly tell the fancy white people office jobs to move to online only while doing absolutely no further work towards doing a quarantine or anything at all to stop the pandemic

Yeah this seems like kind of the gist of the article, re-reading it now (https://damagemag.com/2020/05/14/im-not-wearing-a-mask/ for reference) it seems the hating cute masks thing is mostly provocative. The larger point imo is basically what you say here--that the whole 'new normal' narrative coming from the already socially atomized white collar class, and the associated shaming/scolding of discontent by extension, is actually pretty harmful to those outside of that bubble. It is pretty funny though how the article is basically an 'Amber's Greatest Hits' comp, you get complaining about "hysterical Crybullies of Social Justice Sanctimony", "no clapping at DSA meetings," "Professional Managerial Class opportunism," some weird stuff about Jung, and my favorite:

quote:

I understand a libidinal urge to be constrained, restricted, dominated, etc., but can’t these people just find someone to choke them during sex (like a normal person)? Public health policy is not a healthy venue for the sublimation of desires.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

masks should be normalized, it lowers spread of disease even in non-pandemics and amber freaking out about the idea is just liberal individual freedoms poo poo in left language

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
my working class mom sew her own mask, are masks good now?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i think the point amber was inartfully trying to express was that libs turned masks into another obnoxious cultural signifier they can harp on endlessly to the absolute exclusion of things that would actually suppress the pandemic, like free healthcare and paying everyone to stay home

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Juul-Whip posted:

i think the point amber was inartfully trying to express was that libs turned masks into another obnoxious cultural signifier they can harp on endlessly to the absolute exclusion of things that would actually suppress the pandemic, like free healthcare and paying everyone to stay home

i wouldn't say its inartful but perhaps this is merely because i too am from a displaced oakie culture.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

Turning masks into a culture war was like throwing a lit match into a gasoline soaked leaf pile and i guarantee you a decent chunk of the antimask stuff is a response to scold libs being obnoxious about it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shipon posted:

Turning masks into a culture war was like throwing a lit match into a gasoline soaked leaf pile and i guarantee you a decent chunk of the antimask stuff is a response to scold libs being obnoxious about it

That is bullshit. The libs weren't the ones who make masks into a culture war thing at all.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gripweed posted:

That is bullshit. The libs weren't the ones who make masks into a culture war thing at all.

shut the gently caress up and wear the loving mask!!!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I think it's fine for people to complain about a necessary thing being inconvenient as long as they actually do it. I'll bitch all I want about taking out the trash, doesn't mean I'm pro- trash laying around

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

yeah the libs didn’t start it but about around April there was definitely a huge trend on Normal People social media of libs trying to outdo each other with “STAY. THE. gently caress. HOME,” accusing people of being trump sympathizers, etc. my favorite that I saw a few times was ‘getting gas is morally unconscionable because you might infect the gas pump handle with covid’

in retrospect the mask thing was the worst hill to die on though because they are super effective and a minor inconvenience at most

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Personally I tend to not like Amber's writing but I agree with her sentiments, there's a kind of perverse pleasure in following the rules and looking down on those who don't. Wearing a mask does suck as does a lot of stuff you should do. The problem isn't that but the weird enjoyment some people have in it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Grevling posted:

Personally I tend to not like Amber's writing but I agree with her sentiments, there's a kind of perverse pleasure in following the rules and looking down on those who don't. Wearing a mask does suck as does a lot of stuff you should do. The problem isn't that but the weird enjoyment some people have in it.

getting mad at imaginary people is fun i do it all day

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The_Rob posted:

shut the gently caress up and wear the loving mask!!!
Karen "WEAR A MASK" Morrison, B.A. 🍷🥁🐎🐝

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grevling posted:

The problem isn't that but the weird enjoyment some people have in it.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1035218616403128320?s=20

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

Karen "WEAR A MASK" Morrison, B.A. 🍷🥁🐎🐝

The people who have a statement in quotes in their display name are up there with globe emojis in being twitter sickos, there's definitely huge overlap there

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the sickos in this thread are so addicted to getting mad at amber takes that they strain themselves half remembering ones from months ago. hosed up

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I like wearing masks and I used to do it all the time in Asia where it’s completely normal to wear them. esp great when it’s cold out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I don't like how there's so many people who still don't believe the virus is real, but it's not really their fault. It's the libs that are to blame for insisting it is real