Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Has there ever been any kind of successor to Destruction Derby? Burnout I guess?

Like, the PSX game? They made a far superior sequel.

If you mean the franchise, yeah, pretty much. Burnout's last game was Paradise City, a fantastic open-world game they re-released for PS4 a year or two ago. EA basically put the studio on Need For Speed games after that (starting with Hot Pursuit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Has there ever been any kind of successor to Destruction Derby? Burnout I guess?

Wreckfest probably. I miss Burnout.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don’t know but in the same genre kind of I’d like a new road rash game.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Woofer posted:

Funny you say that

Wikipedia posted:

Criterion Games considered developing a new Road Rash game multiple times, potentially a Burnout Versus Road Rash, but nothing has come of this; they have also expressed a desire to move away from racing games in particular. Dan Geisler, main programmer and co-designer of the Sega Genesis trilogy, was working on a new title along with a number of the original Road Rash staff members, then named Hard Rider: Back in the Saddle; he first announced it via a Reddit thread, and frequently mentioned progress on his Twitter account. However, he was unable to find funding for it and dropped the idea.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Woofer posted:

This post reminded me that I have Road Redemption in my steam library. Played it for a little bit when it was first available and I totally forgot if I liked it or not. It was really buggy at the time. It's a spiritual successor to Road Rash. Looks like it got a switch release for 20 bux on the eshop.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

road rash was one of the games genesis def had over snes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

road rash was one of the games genesis def had over snes

SNES version of Mortal Kombat actually removed the blood too

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

GD_American posted:

Fact

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-ZXgKOX54

Wreckfest kind is, you can drive around with a combine harvester and other stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GD_American posted:

drat, I forgot about that.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

ABACABB supremacy

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

switch eshop has crazy sales up

all the 2k games on sale including xcom, civ, borderlands, etc

links awakening and mario party

worth a look

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Once again the gates are opened

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZeIeTk-I28

The Ace Combat game developed by one dude who was disappointed with AC7 taking so long to release is about to release. It looks pretty good and the ace combat superfans are saying the prerelease version is pretty drat good.

You also actually have a WSO in the 2 seater planes who will banter back and forth with you, your wingmen and AWACS, which is neat.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/955900/Amazing_Cultivation_Simulator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRG61jRAFQ0

This looks really intriguing, and I'm probably giving it a spin when I get off work later. Really scratches a couple of itches I didn't know I had.
Skills/items look a little rough and complex, but maybe that's just from the trailer. Will report back.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/955900/Amazing_Cultivation_Simulator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRG61jRAFQ0

This looks really intriguing, and I'm probably giving it a spin when I get off work later. Really scratches a couple of itches I didn't know I had.
Skills/items look a little rough and complex, but maybe that's just from the trailer. Will report back.

Oh yeah, the Amazing Cultivation Simulator is what it says. It's inspired by Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, mixes in Feng Shui and mystical Qi powers, Chinese mythology and cult management. I made a mistake of bringing a turtle demon as one of my cultists and he slooowly walks around and gets nothing done in time. Snake demon friend is much faster and is my main disciple. I also have some boring human planting my crops. Once I got over my initial confusion I've built a nice cult compound.

Game is good and a mile deep from what I've seen.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SlightlyMad posted:

Oh yeah, the Amazing Cultivation Simulator is what it says. It's inspired by Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, mixes in Feng Shui and mystical Qi powers, Chinese mythology and cult management. I made a mistake of bringing a turtle demon as one of my cultists and he slooowly walks around and gets nothing done in time. Snake demon friend is much faster and is my main disciple. I also have some boring human planting my crops. Once I got over my initial confusion I've built a nice cult compound.

Game is good and a mile deep from what I've seen.

Only half of what you've written makes any sense to me, and I've got this gut-feeling that's telling me to not even look at reviews to find out what any of that means.
I'm somehow just getting a really good vibe from the game, I'm downloading it at the moment, and I'm looking forward to diving into a game with barely any foreknowledge for a change again.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

an actually good Cultivation thing? i thought it was a myth

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Only half of what you've written makes any sense to me, and I've got this gut-feeling that's telling me to not even look at reviews to find out what any of that means.
I'm somehow just getting a really good vibe from the game, I'm downloading it at the moment, and I'm looking forward to diving into a game with barely any foreknowledge for a change again.

I won't spoil the learning process, but there's threads for Amazing Cultivation Simulator in Games and a good Let's Play if you have questions. (You will have questions). Have fun!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Patware posted:

an actually good Cultivation thing? i thought it was a myth

i give it an a-, worth playing

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZeIeTk-I28

The Ace Combat game developed by one dude who was disappointed with AC7 taking so long to release is about to release. It looks pretty good and the ace combat superfans are saying the prerelease version is pretty drat good.

You also actually have a WSO in the 2 seater planes who will banter back and forth with you, your wingmen and AWACS, which is neat.

This looks awesome. Definitely going to pick it up. Hopefully it has gamepad support because sticks are still too expensive.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AFStealth posted:

This looks awesome. Definitely going to pick it up. Hopefully it has gamepad support because sticks are still too expensive.

They had gamepad support back in the alpha release, can't see why that would change. Game also has full VR support as well as stick support if you're like that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Picked up Star Wars: Squadrons on the Steam sale and now it's reeeaaaalllly making me want to invest :10bux: in a VR system and HOTAS.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Picked up Star Wars: Squadrons on the Steam sale and now it's reeeaaaalllly making me want to invest :10bux: in a VR system and HOTAS.

gently caress. Don't say this. It's on my wish list and my resolve to only spend video game money on Cyberpunk is weakening.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I really want to play it, but I'm about to be away from a gaming rig for a long time. I guess this means I'll get to find out if the playerbase is dead later or if I'll have to compete with cyber-aces.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Bad Poster posted:

The Destiny/Peter Dinklage thing is the funniest example of this.

Bungie really screwed itself over casting Peter Dinklage and the cast of Firefly for main characters because they've had to recast, kill off or just plain not write anything about them due to availability which has been made worse by covid

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I keep telling myself that TrackIR is good enough.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Eej posted:

Bungie really screwed itself over casting Peter Dinklage and the cast of Firefly for main characters because they've had to recast, kill off or just plain not write anything about them due to availability which has been made worse by covid

Smartest move ff14 ever did for its english dub is hire mostly unknowns

Any game where you intend to do a living story, you gotta cast unknowns to dodge this exact debacle

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

I keep telling myself that TrackIR is good enough.

The one thing that still puts TrackIR over VR for me in flight sims is that I can still see my HOTAS and keyboard as needed. With VR, if the button isn't mapped to HOTAS, it sucks and totally ruins the emersion anytime I move the goggles just a bit so I can hit a key or w/e.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Patware posted:

Any game where you intend to do a living story, you gotta cast unknowns to dodge this exact debacle

There are plenty of good voice actors too. TF2 went through about a decade of continuous development using the same voice actors. They recently had one of the main actors pass away due to COVID, but because he was a voice actor, and not Peter Dinklage with a robotic layer, they can post likely rehire.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Patware posted:

I mean, they changed contracts at the end of ARR and dumped their cast of known actors for a new cast of unknowns so it's a smart move in the sense of capitalism

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eej posted:

I mean, they changed contracts at the end of ARR and dumped their cast of known actors for a new cast of unknowns so it's a smart move in the sense of capitalism

To be fair their cast of known actors were phoning it in and collecting a check. The voice acting in ARR was abysmal, either the direction was bad (very possible, especially in the absolute chaos that took place when they decided to throw out the game and redevelop an entire MMO in like 18 months) or the voice talent viewed the roles as small peanuts/not worth effort.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

either way its much better now

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I think Gaius and Lahabrea were among the only good 100% efforts in ARR.

SUCH DEVESTATION WAS NOT MY INTENTION

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What the living holy gently caress is death stranding

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

you've figured it out

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

exactly.

keep going.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hideo Kojima discovers FedEx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

its my goty since i waited on the fantastically done pc port

best casting in a video game imo as well