Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/U5e3vnQ.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/xm1cUfA.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/W0snnms.gifv

Cartoon Man has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

City of Glompton posted:

i love them and i am eating some right now

:same:

I like sweet pickles and I don’t like eggs.

It’s me, I’m the food weird.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The weird goons are the ones freaking out over sweet pickles and margarine. Sweet pickles are tasty, and margarine is alright.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

For real though I think it's about time Taco Bell is brought to justice for the invention of hard taco shells.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

rodbeard posted:

For real though I think it's about time Taco Bell is brought to justice for the invention of hard taco shells.

they didnt invent them, crispy corn tortillas have been around for a minute. I think i saw sth about it being a regional custom in a mexican state some people emigrated from idk. in any case no matter how you feel about it taco bell just copied that so your case wont have standing.

titos tacos in culver city came before taco bell i think?
estan rebuenos, buey

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I also hate hard taco shells.

Awkward, messy, and they seem to be designed solely to make sure you stab the softer parts of mouth with the shards.

CaptainSarcastic has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Nov 29, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It seems very weird to me to put all that poo poo in like, a thing that cracks when you eat it.

Would much rather just have them in a flatbread and wrap it up, like that's the main benefit of flatbreads other than shelf life.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The only time I've eaten a hard shell taco in the past like 15 years was to get free Doritos locos tacos because Markus Lynn "Mookie" Betts stole a base in the World Series, so I got to steal a taco. Hard shell tacos can be fine I guess but they're definitely inferior. Just get a tostada if you want that

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Hard shell taco is just walking nachos

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

augias posted:

they didnt invent them, crispy corn tortillas have been around for a minute. I think i saw sth about it being a regional custom in a mexican state some people emigrated from idk. in any case no matter how you feel about it taco bell just copied that so your case wont have standing.

titos tacos in culver city came before taco bell i think?
estan rebuenos, buey

Okay I guess Glenn Bell stole the idea and claimed he invented it. I guess before the Taco Bell version the whole taco was fried like a chimichanga and he just changed it slightly to make it easier for fast food mass production.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A local place had dollar tacos which were crunchy shells filled with the most wonderfully juicy ground beef. I didn't like crunchy shells much before but they made me a believer. The inner layer of the crunchy shell absorbed the juice a bit so it crunched but didn't snap and the whole thing just melted in your mouth.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Way too much pride.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I also hate hard taco shells.

Awkward, messy, and they seem to be designed solely to make sure you stab the softer parts of mouth with the shards.

I bet you dislike toast.

All tacos are great. All tacos got problems.
If you use a soft corn tortilla, fill it with anything remotely moist, and have to travel more than 2 minutes then it splits. Same problem. Well, same for the folks that use teeth to chew instead of the roofs of their mouths.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ZombieCrew posted:

I bet you dislike toast.

All tacos are great. All tacos got problems.
If you use a soft corn tortilla, fill it with anything remotely moist, and have to travel more than 2 minutes then it splits. Same problem. Well, same for the folks that use teeth to chew instead of the roofs of their mouths.

I'm just picturing you rolling up a tortilla, filling it with soda, and then getting mad when it doesn't work out how you imagined.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Remotely moist sprite? No thanks

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm just picturing you rolling up a tortilla, filling it with soda, and then getting mad when it doesn't work out how you imagined.

Tortilla straw! Im just happy you call it soda.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crunchy shells add textural variety when you're making American White-Person tacos, the hamburger/lettuce/cheese bland variety.

A decent street taco provides that variety with crispy/chewy carne asada, chewy chicken or carne asada, and generous crisp fresh onion, for fish tacos where the meat is mushy, cabbage is usually thrown in for good measure, and often a crackly crispy layer of breading. Two corn tortillas for structural stability and extra chew.

I stopped at a "Mexican" restaurant when I was passing through Louisiana, and I got some "tacos" that were made from crunchy shells, unseasoned puree'd beef, with a slice of American cheese on top.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Crunchy shells add textural variety

If you absolutely must have this, just put some corn chips in your soft taco.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I mean, I’d rather have a soda taco/tortilla straw than guzzle the grease pits that Taco Bell season their beef with.

Baked/crispy tortillas have a place and that’s as a bowl for taco salad, preferably with some nice carnitas. If I’m expecting to put the whole thing in my mouth at once, though, soft is where it’s at.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

flesh dance posted:

I grew up in the early 90s in the midwest with miracle whip, cool whip, margarine, all the garbage. But that batch of popcorn was a loving bridge too far. And yeah, it was indeed weirdly soggy

My parents are from the east coast, and I grew up on the west coast, but they are somehow midwest elementals when it comes to food. I don't think I ever had real butter until I moved out on my own and bought some because I had no idea it was different from the "buttery spread." My mom actually pitched a small fit the year I asked for a butter bell for Christmas, because she thought I should just buy the generic form of County Crock instead.

Elviscat posted:

Crunchy shells add textural variety when you're making American White-Person tacos, the hamburger/lettuce/cheese bland variety.

Growing up this is what I knew tacos to be. Just brown and drain unseasoned ground beef toss it in unbaked shells and put some shredded cheese on top. At some point mild taco sauce got added to the mix.

I'm not sure exactly how my taco journey began after that but baking the shells makes a world of difference. The damned things are designed to be baked, when eaten straight out of the box they're not quite crisp and have an odd elasticity to them. Who the gently caress cares if tacos break, it just means you get to repurpose them into a new taco, or eat them with a spoon.

The next game changer was to add seasoning. Packets are fine in a pinch, but if you've got time, saute up some onions and throw some cumin, chili powder, and whatever spices sound good at the time.

Now that you've got your meat it's fair game, throw on some nice chunky salsa, chop up some red onions and jalapenos for this layer.

Up next is the cheese layer, pre shredded generally sucks so you want to shred your own here. Extra sharp cheddar is the classic, but a good colby jack is also an excellent choice.

And finally we get to the top of the taco. If you're into avocado, lettuce, or tomato, this is where that goes. Sour cream also goes here, but what's better is mexican crema, which comes in a handy squeeze bottle. To top it all off I like to drizzle some Old El Passo Creamy Salsa Verde and/or Ortega Chipotle Flavor Craver sauce on top.

Elviscat posted:

A decent street taco provides that variety with crispy/chewy carne asada, chewy chicken or carne asada, and generous crisp fresh onion, for fish tacos where the meat is mushy, cabbage is usually thrown in for good measure, and often a crackly crispy layer of breading. Two corn tortillas for structural stability and extra chew.

I have nothing to add here, just wanted to empty quote this part.

Elviscat posted:

I stopped at a "Mexican" restaurant when I was passing through Louisiana, and I got some "tacos" that were made from crunchy shells, unseasoned puree'd beef, with a slice of American cheese on top.

This is just an affront to God.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Growing up this is what I knew tacos to be. Just brown and drain unseasoned ground beef toss it in unbaked shells and put some shredded cheese on top. At some point mild taco sauce got added to the mix.

This just stirred up a buried memory of my family's tacos, which was basically this but with a big plate in the middle of the table we got our fixins' from, which included cheese, olives, diced tomatoes, and ... canned mushrooms :psyduck:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

The next game changer was to add seasoning. Packets are fine in a pinch, but if you've got time, saute up some onions and throw some cumin, chili powder, and whatever spices sound good at the time.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Elviscat posted:

Crunchy shells?! Well, I never!

'Taco night' in my family was plain ground beef, shredded cheddar, and ketchup. And the tortillas were warmed up in the microwave.

God, I loving hated taco night.

E: 'enchilada night' wasn't much better.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

All, and I cannot stress this enough, every single, each and every one, especially whatever bastardized taco your gringo rear end makes, All Tacos Are Delicious.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The thing I hate the most about hard shell tacos is them breaking along the bottom.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Marx Was A Lib posted:

All, and I cannot stress this enough, every single, each and every one, especially whatever bastardized taco your gringo rear end makes, All Tacos Are Delicious.

ATAD

Re: crunchy taco chat

There's a big question I'm not seeing answered.
Do y'all eat your crunchy tacos sideways like a sandwich, or do you tilt your heads to shove em in your mouth?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

This is just an affront to God.

Have you heard of our lord and savior Jack In The Box?

I love those tacos. I dont get them often, but they are tasty little grease pockets.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Yes!

dog nougat posted:

There's a big question I'm not seeing answered.
Do y'all eat your crunchy tacos sideways like a sandwich, or do you tilt your heads to shove em in your mouth?

Tilt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just eat 'em the tall way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This might sound like a ridiculous question but what, exactly, is a taco?

Do they have to be hard? Do they have to be open? What is the difference between a burrito and a fajita? Are tortillas involved?

Being in the UK I have never been anywhere that has offered a taco or a burrito but fajitas are a thing and it's a soft flatbread wrapped around... usually spiced chicken bits and peppers and stuff? Are there delineations between where all of those things start and end?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Imagine a hot dog in a bun. Now imagine that's ground beef instead of the hot dog. You have achieved taco.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tacos use a taco spice packet, fajitas use a fajita spice packet, and burritos use a burrito spice packet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
If you fold a single slice of bread over onto some cheese, that's technically a taco.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
You can also fold a slice of cheese over some mustard and that is a taco or so you tell yourself

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

You can also fold a slice of cheese over some mustard and that is a taco or so you tell yourself

Ok, but what about a fried mustard patty folded over onto some liquid mustard?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The General posted:

Tacos use a taco spice packet, fajitas use a fajita spice packet, and burritos use a burrito spice packet.

[Ma vaffanculo] but in Spanish

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

OwlFancier posted:

This might sound like a ridiculous question but what, exactly, is a taco?

Do they have to be hard? Do they have to be open? What is the difference between a burrito and a fajita? Are tortillas involved?

Being in the UK I have never been anywhere that has offered a taco or a burrito but fajitas are a thing and it's a soft flatbread wrapped around... usually spiced chicken bits and peppers and stuff? Are there delineations between where all of those things start and end?

Non poo poo-post answer: tacos are small tortillas with some fillings, served open-faced - the fillings are not totally encased in the tortilla. Corn tortillas are the best - if someone opts for flour we respect their decision but they’re dead wrong.

A burrito is a large tortilla wrapped completely around the fillings to make a little portable pocket. These are always flour tortillas.

Fajitas are Tex-Mex served on a sizzle platter. Meat and peppers and onions are sauteed and served alongside beans and rice, with tortillas on the side to use as you please.

BONUS - flautas are kinda like a taco but the flour tortilla completely wrapped around the filling with the ends left open and pan-fried. The fillings are usually stickier so the food holds together - bean and cheese or something similar. Tostadas are a taco where the corn tortilla has been baked flat so it is crispy and kinda like a flatbread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Taco is the idea of eating something you grab with a tortilla. Tex mex filling optional, I have extra tortillas right now so my thanksgiving leftovers are being eaten by taco.

Fajitas is a popular something to eat by taco. It is grilled meat and veggies with tex mex spices. But you can eat fajitas with a fork or a flatbread if you want, I won't judge.

A burrito is like a taco but the edges wrap all the way around so it looks like a little sleeping donkey.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ok, but what about a fried mustard patty folded over onto some liquid mustard?

Can you actually fry up mustard into a patty? I am intrigued and somewhat repulsed and feel like this is going to autistically stick in my brain til I fry something next and probably try it unless someone else can confirm or deny. Google is just giving me results about putting mustard on a burger and then frying it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Freaquency posted:

Non poo poo-post answer: tacos are small tortillas with some fillings, served open-faced - the fillings are not totally encased in the tortilla. Corn tortillas are the best - if someone opts for flour we respect their decision but they’re dead wrong.

A burrito is a large tortilla wrapped completely around the fillings to make a little portable pocket. These are always flour tortillas.

Fajitas are Tex-Mex served on a sizzle platter. Meat and peppers and onions are sauteed and served alongside beans and rice, with tortillas on the side to use as you please.

BONUS - flautas are kinda like a taco but the flour tortilla completely wrapped around the filling with the ends left open and pan-fried. The fillings are usually stickier so the food holds together - bean and cheese or something similar. Tostadas are a taco where the corn tortilla has been baked flat so it is crispy and kinda like a flatbread.

To add to that, tacos are generally thought of as small one-handed food-in-tortillas and meant to be eaten informally or walking around. If it's bigger or involves more fanfare than would work for that, it's not a taco, it's something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Can you actually fry up mustard into a patty? I am intrigued and somewhat repulsed and feel like this is going to autistically stick in my brain til I fry something next and probably try it unless someone else can confirm or deny. Google is just giving me results about putting mustard on a burger and then frying it.

I know that some burger places pour mustard on the griddle and then throw a burger on top of that. I'm assuming if you burnt some mustard it might gain some sort of structure. maybe incorporate some xanthan gum and vital gluten, make a mustard dough.