Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I got that, it was considered and included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dueling was practiced by all manners of people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouging_(fighting_style)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

doverhog posted:

Social change isn't just hard, often it's impossible to the people living in that time. That applies to our time too. It would be easy to prevent Bezos from owning the whole of US, if you just had normal people.

It's like that with the past too.

All you really need is enough people pissed off to apply mob violence to happen, sure that often backfires in it's own way but it's a valid path

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

System Metternich posted:

It's important to note that while it was probably most "ritualised" in Germany, duels were the standard all over Europe and its colonies during the early modern era and the 19th/early 20th century. This is due to an understanding of honour that is wholly removed from ours and is honestly hard to fuly grasp even when you've spent a lot of time researching it. Basically honour was a limited resource, and dishonour wasn't just the absence of honour but an attribute all of its own that was to be avoided at all costs. Dishonour was also contagious; you could catch it just by standing next to a dishonourabe person if you were not careful. Honour was strongly tied to behaviour proper to your social class: A nobleman not living up to the social expectations of nobility risked losing honour and catching dishonour instead, while e.g. a commoner dressing like a nobleman did the same.

People back then were keenly aware that (dis)honour was entirely a social construct and all the more careful in maintaining/avoiding it. This is also why it wasn't only insults or the spreading of lies that might lead to being challenged to a duel: Basically anything that might be constituted as a challenge to your honour might lead to it, because not answering that challenge might be seen by your peers as an implicit admission that the challenger was in fact right. Duels also weren't limited to the upper classes, but could be found pretty much everywhere because peasants too had a strong sense of honour and social class. And of course you can still see echoes of this when e.g. you're in a club and some guy is like "Have you been ogling my girl? Let go outside and beat each other senseless so we can settle this like real men" (thankfully becoming rarer nowadays) or even the clichéd "trying to storm towards the other while your friends hold you back and go 'He's not worth it, dude!'" - it's fully performative of course and I'd claim that in most cases actually getting into a brawl isn't even the goal, the whole thing is just to signal that you are indeed ready to defend your honour with violence.

Or heck, think of chuds threatening their daughters' boyfriends with brutal violence if they would ever "treat her wrong" - this is 100% not about the daughter but because said chud needs to navigate a difficult social situation here - his conception of honour entails laying claim to his family and defending the purity of his daughter. A boyfriend means that this purity in in danger and - even more importantly - that his daughter starts to get out of his control. But on the other hand the daughter starting to date is socially expected and necessary if she is ever to marry (which again is a must in the chud's conception of honour). So he solves that conundrum by letting his daughter date, but asserting his dominance by threatening violence as well as trying to keep their relationship non-sexual.

Formalised duels might have gone the way of the dodo, but I'd say that the mechanics and the social concepts behind it haven't.

It's a hard to find book but most libraries should have access
https://www.amazon.com/DUELING-DUEL...&s=books&sr=1-2

The dueling culture in Germany around the late 1800s was loving insane. The book recounts how the culture slowly built up from the whole matter of honor to where when men joined University part of the ritual was having "duals" where the only intended goal was to get a facial wound to show off as a matter of masculinity.

The book recounts a story where a military officer at a casual party accosted a baker (huge dude) and when pushed the baker just leaned in and grabbed the officer's hand with was resting on his sword, preventing him from pulling his sword and whisper-told the officer to chill the gently caress out and go home. The military officer was so terrified his peers would found out a common laborer "humiliated" him he tried to find and murder the baker, and when he couldn't he then killed himself terrified the baker would tell everyone how he punked the officer.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Mainstream ideas of masculinity is just "honour" repackaged.

Think about it, it's inherently loving fragile, no-one knows exactly what it is and what actions you can take to maintain it and gently caress me if there aren't a lot of people who claim they know how you "lose" it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josef bugman posted:

Think about it, it's inherently loving fragile, no-one knows exactly what it is and what actions you can take to maintain it and gently caress me if there aren't a lot of people who claim they know how you "lose" it.
I remember thinking the idea of "credibility" as defined by, apparently, Bill O'Reilly back in the day was similar: It seemed to be a thing that only existed when he declared you had lost it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's all attempts to replace the belief that everything is fake, we all know it's fake but everyone seems to think that means they are the only one that knows it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Since learning about it in this thread yesterday, I mentioned Mensur to a friend who had just returned from a stint as a visiting fellow at a prestigious German university. He told me that someone had tried to recruit a friend of theirs, a fellow Finn, to a 'fencing' club. The friend was, surprise surprise, a tall and blonde man. Being of a leftist political persuasion, he feigned innocence and asked if anyone else than a tall blonde, say, for example, a person with darker hair or skin, were allowed in. The answer was something along the lines of "*wink* *wink* Probably not! *wink* *wink*" He passed on joining as he wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea of being recruited into a completely apolitical little blood-letting club. Jesus!

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
I have seen modern people use the word "respect" in a similar way to old concepts of honor

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Arban posted:

I have seen modern people use the word "respect" in a similar way to old concepts of honor

In that it is usually restricted to certain ingroups, yeah I can see that.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

barbecue at the folks posted:

Since learning about it in this thread yesterday, I mentioned Mensur to a friend who had just returned from a stint as a visiting fellow at a prestigious German university. He told me that someone had tried to recruit a friend of theirs, a fellow Finn, to a 'fencing' club. The friend was, surprise surprise, a tall and blonde man. Being of a leftist political persuasion, he feigned innocence and asked if anyone else than a tall blonde, say, for example, a person with darker hair or skin, were allowed in. The answer was something along the lines of "*wink* *wink* Probably not! *wink* *wink*" He passed on joining as he wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea of being recruited into a completely apolitical little blood-letting club. Jesus!

I find this hilarious, because my brother’s fencing coach was black. Multiple fencers that were his students made it to the olympics. He was a really nice guy, too. Nazis are such shitheads.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the Commonwealth of Iceland (930-1262) honour played a huge part in carrying out the law. Basically there was a court system but not any sort of police to carry out the law. So if someone killed your lovely nephew and was sentenced for it it was your job to carry it out and kill him. If you didn't you were without honor which would encourage people to gently caress with you knowing that you weren't going to retaliate.

But of course you usually only had three years at the most, if they were sentenced to fjörbaugsgarður, during which the condemned could just split to Scotland or Denmark or something and if they waited out the sentence you couldn't do poo poo any longer. Unless they were sentenced to skóggangur in which case they were effectively expunged from society for life and had to leave the country or hide out in the wilderness for life or else anyone who met them was required by law and honor to kill them.

It wasn't until the early modern period when the state itself began to execute people and since it was the Lutheran reformation it was often for stuff like having children out of wedlock while poor or for being a Catholic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Domus posted:

I find this hilarious, because my brother’s fencing coach was black. Multiple fencers that were his students made it to the olympics. He was a really nice guy, too. Nazis are such shitheads.

Stupid too

FreudianSlippers posted:

It wasn't until the early modern period when the state itself began to execute people and since it was the Lutheran reformation it was often for stuff like having children out of wedlock while poor or for being a Catholic.

What about being basque

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That falls under Catholic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should go back to the "outlaw" style of justice. Every night on the news they announce all the people you're duty bound to kill and nothing really changes in anyone's day to day besides once in awhile having to kill someone. Just imagine all the money the state could save on expensive executions!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Would goons be honour bound to slay Lowtax on sight?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Call the lynch mob on Granos.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Unironically white collar crime should be punished by seizure of assets and a minimum of three years of being outlawed and anyone being not only allowed but required to kill you.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about being basque
Are there many Basques in Iceland?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basques have been whaling around Iceland/Greenland for at least 1000 years.

There are some theories they knew about the Americas centuries before the Spanish but didn't tell anyone as not to endanger their hunting grounds.

However one time in the 1600s a group of them were shipwrecked in Iceland and the Icelanders murdered them, stripped and looted the corpses and threw them into the sea. One man, notorious Wizard Jón the Learned who was a friend of the Basques protested and wrote about the massacre but was in turn exiled to a tiny uninhabitable island.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Nov 29, 2020

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

The book recounts a story where a military officer at a casual party accosted a baker (huge dude) and when pushed the baker just leaned in and grabbed the officer's hand with was resting on his sword, preventing him from pulling his sword and whisper-told the officer to chill the gently caress out and go home. The military officer was so terrified his peers would found out a common laborer "humiliated" him he tried to find and murder the baker, and when he couldn't he then killed himself terrified the baker would tell everyone how he punked the officer.

:laffo: this rules

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

lmao

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was thinking this dueling poo poo was weird until i remembered all the "septic masculinity" stories you see from r/relationships and other places from the girlfriends of dudes who are so couched in fragile masculinity they dont wipe or clean their own rear end because "wtf bro touching your rear end in a top hat is gay"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't believe those guys ever actually existed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arban posted:

In My 600-lb Life if the patient starts talking about being disrespected by Dr. Nowzaradan, it means they'll fail the programme and die fat :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

lol

Facebook Aunt posted:

They're the same picture

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh, they exist alright. I punched one in the face!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Oh, they exist alright. I punched one in the face!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

rude and highly inaccurate

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pentyne posted:

Poor Freckles. Thought of dishonor and died.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Are there many Basques in Iceland?

Even Icelanders want to dress sexy sometimes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The military has a shitload of stories of privates who are unfamiliar with basic hygiene.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The military has a shitload of stories of privates who are unfamiliar with basic hygiene.

"More Axe body spray" instead of doing laundry or ever taking one voluntary shower during the entire first half of the NCO training. You could smell the dude from across the hall at the barracks.

He was kicked out for failing a medical check and using that as an excuse to go AWOL for a week or so.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I had a science teacher in secondary school who thought that showering more than once every two weeks was bad for your immune system. He also refused to launder his clothes. His words were along the lines of "Just remove any stains. Then give your clothes an airbath. Letting your clothes hang outside overnight refreshes them! Humans were never meant to smell like flowers!"

He also had THE worst haircut I have ever seen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattyKiara posted:

I had a science teacher in secondary school who thought that showering more than once every two weeks was bad for your immune system. He also refused to launder his clothes. His words were along the lines of "Just remove any stains. Then give your clothes an airbath. Letting your clothes hang outside overnight refreshes them! Humans were never meant to smell like flowers!"

He also had THE worst haircut I have ever seen.

Oh no, we've wandered perilously close to the "jeans should never be washed" discussion.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I believe it's called seasoning the jeans

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Its simple, you wake up. Bath in the smoke of a fire and then grab your raw jeans from the stack in the freezer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

denim should be boiled :colbert:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Josef bugman posted:

I have always equated your olde-tyme ideas of 'honour' as being more closely analagous to ideas of 'face'. And as has already been mentioned ideas of tiered formal levels of social class.

But you do make a good point in adding ideas of performative fragile masculinity into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Re: honor talk, is it true that bushido code rose in importance during an a long era of peace in Japan as a response of samurai being like "well there are no endless wars to fight, how do we maintain our status"?