Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is really the Russiagate chickens coming home to roost.

So desperate to absolve Hillary Clinton for her disastrous campaign and lifetime of corruption and horribly unpopular cynical triangulating, Democrats seized on a few tens of thousands of dollars Russia maybe spent on Facebook ads as the reason why she lost. And rather than asking themselves questions like "if $12,000 spent by a few trolls barely familiar with American culture can swing an entire presidential election, how did she spend a billion dollars and manage to not succeed beyond anyone's wildest dreams", they've concluded that since no one could possibly be smarter and more effective than them, then spending money on effective outreach is "voter suppression" and that's cheating and that trying to win is bad because that's what the Russians do.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VitalSigns posted:

Democrats are so addicted to losing and so contemptuous of the idea of even talking to a voter, that they think even engaging voters with reasons not to vote for the other guy is inherently suspicious and equivalent to poll taxes and Jim Crow.

lmbo this country is so hosed

“B-B-BUT A DOG CAN’T PLAY BASKETBALL!!!”

There is literally nothing in any rule book that says that you can’t advertise or message to voters. And if fibbing to them in that messaging is akin to Jim Crow then literally every politician who has ever lived including Bernie Sanders and the Senators of Rome are complicit. You can even tell them to go vote on the wrong date.

Also if you tell a potential voter “Kemp doesn’t support Trump enough, you should punish him by writing in the president’s name” then you aren’t really lying. If I personally believed that Trump should be president again no matter what the facts say, then I would certainly feel like Kemp wasn’t doing enough to support him.

All I see here in the voter supression wokescolding are a bunch of living, posting examples of why leftists get their teeth kicked in politically time and time again.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

what the gently caress are you talking about VitalSigns

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

MixMasterMalaria posted:

ITT: voter suppression both condemned as profoundly anti-democratic and casually embraced for its recreational potential.

Galaxy brain take, thanks

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

So desperate to absolve Hillary Clinton for her disastrous campaign and lifetime of corruption and horribly unpopular cynical triangulating, Democrats seized on a few tens of thousands of dollars Russia maybe spent on Facebook ads as the reason why she lost. And rather than asking themselves questions like "if $12,000 spent by a few trolls barely familiar with American culture can swing an entire presidential election, how did she spend a billion dollars and manage to not succeed beyond anyone's wildest dreams", they've concluded that since no one could possibly be smarter and more effective than them, then spending money on effective outreach is "voter suppression" and that's cheating and that trying to win is bad because that's what the Russians do.

What is this in response to?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I didn’t think this Republican fracture strategy would actually work but after seeing Trump double and triple down on it including attacking Kemp, my left eyebrow is starting to raise

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Trump is attacking Kemp but campaigning with Perdue & Loeffler. Dont be shocked if Kemp needs to step aside next gov election, but the party might still turn out for those two.

Like I said before, its a possibility that this discontent outgrows Trump and backfires on conservative electoralism, but I'm still betting on it working out fine (besides Kemp, who will be flayed alive over a pit of skulls).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Ither posted:

What is this in response to?

The suggestion that encouraging chuds to rebel against their stolen state by not voting would be suppression

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 1, 2020

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

for the record, I think it's good to reduce racist participation. suppressing racist and classist voices is good.

I just think it's a complete 180 from the typical "Vote. [this space left intentionally blank]" which is typical, beyond even the "vote for the D, because the R is an extremist" project Lincoln type campaign. and that makes it kind of a funny leap to me when it is finally broached for a candidate who, outside of the circumstances, is rather unremarkable.

Please dont take that I'm actually sincerely scolding anyone for convincing racists to keep their heads down on principle.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

(besides Kemp, who will be flayed alive over a pit of skulls).

Now this is the kinda bipartisanship I can get behind.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

blossommirage posted:

Now this is the kinda bipartisanship I can get behind.

A little unfair to the skulls but I’m on board as well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1333567756768260096?s=20

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/CursedLavaLamp/status/1333597793739534338

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

My IRL reaction to this:

https://youtu.be/v5RZ8k6iQik

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Huh.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
The PAC/website at the bottom of that billboard is a pro-Warnock/Ossoff site. Just so we're all in on the gag.

The Wrong Way sign was the part that was too on-the-nose for me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtraMorS posted:

The PAC/website at the bottom of that billboard is a pro-Warnock/Ossoff site. Just so we're all in on the gag.

The Wrong Way sign was the part that was too on-the-nose for me.

Normal people don't look up the fine print though. They just read the billboard and agree or disagree

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

oh god i know posting twitter takes from nobody randos is frowned upon but i just started browsing the comments on that post and this was like the 2nd one and it made me crack up after just finishing reading this thread

https://twitter.com/srirachamatic/status/1333634040516186116?s=20

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Filled out the sheet, will deliver it tomorrow / today depending on how pedantic you want to be about personal perception of a day vs AM PM. Honestly those billboards are really funny, and stabbing a big weakness in the GOP that's just formed. I think it's a great idea.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Telling them the wrong place to go vote is bad voter suppression.

Telling them to not vote is.... The point of campaigning I think? I think the terms here have been a bit confused.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

What's really funny about this conversation is that VS's rant about Dem's being so allergic to winning they think even talking to voters is beneath them and that this is a sign of their obsession with proving that losing isn't ever their own fault... was in response to a poster who was explicitly mocking the notion of telling Republicans not to vote as typical Dem tactics and included shots about how supporting Ossoff is a waste of time because he's "pre-compromised," and therefore worthless.

Have we finally reached the stage of Lib Hatred on this board where being a Democrat is so inarguably the worst possible thing you can be that everything one dislikes is inherently Dem by its very nature?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Telling them the wrong place to go vote is bad voter suppression.

Telling them to not vote is.... The point of campaigning I think? I think the terms here have been a bit confused.

Saying mean things is voter suppression now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I can't wait for early voting to open up for this runoff. It will feel nice to do something actionable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

paternity suitor posted:

Saying mean things is voter suppression now.

Help I’m being cyberbullied voter-suppressed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/teen_politics1/status/1333928328307367937?s=20

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/daniel87111/status/1334208635883429891?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm pretty sure Mr. Rogers wouldn't approve of Daniel Tiger having such a potty mouth.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/12/02/trump-allies-urge-georgia-republicans-sit-out-senate-runoffs/3800126001/

quote:

Allies of President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn the election urged Republicans in Georgia on Wednesday to stay at home for the Jan. 5 Senate runoff elections, arguing Trump supporters shouldn't take part in another "rigged election."

Attorneys Lin Wood and Sidney Powell told a crowd of Trump loyalists not to vote for either of the two Georgia incumbent Republican senators, Kelly Loeffler or David Perdue, during a "Stop the Steal" gathering in Atlanta.

The event, billed as a "press conference" but resembling the raucousness of a Trump rally, was filled with wild conspiracies and falsehoods about last month's election won by President-elect Joe Biden. Attention also turned to the two runoff elections that will decide control of the U.S. Senate.

"Where is Kelly Loeffler here? Where is David Perdue?" said Wood, who unsuccessfully sued Georgia seeking to stop the presidential election's certification. "He ought to be standing right here."

"Do not be fooled twice," he added. "This is Georgia. We ain't dumb. We're not going to vote on Jan. 5 on another machine made by China. You're not going to fool Georgians again. If Kelly Loeffler wants your vote, if David Perdue wants your vote, they've got to earn it."

Georgia has been under fire from Trump and his supporters after an initial state-ordered recount affirmed that Biden won Georgia by 12,284 votes. The Trump campaign requested a second recount, which is expected to be released Thursday.

The remarks underscored the delicate politics that the two Republican senators must navigate to turn out a base convinced the presidential election was stolen. Trump, who is hosting a rally for for Perdue and Loeffler in Valdosta, Georgia, has urged Republicans to vote for the senators even if they're upset with his election.

But Wood said the Georgia senators must "demand publicly, repeatedly, consistently" for Republican Gov. Brian Kemp to call a special legislative session to address the 2020 presidential election.

"And if they do not do it, they have not earned your vote. Don't you give it to them. Why would you go back and vote in another rigged election? For God's sake, fix it. You've got to fix it before you do it again."

Neither Loeffler, running against Democratic challenger Raphael Warnock, nor Perdue, running against Democrat Jon Ossoff, attended the rally. Kemp has said state law prohibits him from "interfering" with an election.

Wood delved into the Senate runoff elections after Georgia Rep. Vernon Jones, a Democratic lawmaker who endorsed Trump during the election, repeatedly urged the crowd to "hold the line" by voting for Loeffler and Perdue.

"Now I love Vernon Jones," Wood said. "Vernon Jones and I are more alike than different, but I'm going to disagree with Vernon Jones."

Powell, a conservative former prosecutor and former Trump attorney, doubled down on false claims she's pushed for weeks that an algorithm "flipped votes" from Trump to Biden. She also urged Georgia Republicans to sit out the January election.

"There should not be a runoff, certainly not on Dominion machines," Powell said, referring to the voting machine company. "I think I would encourage all Georgians to make it known that you will not vote at all until your vote is secure. And I mean that, regardless of party. We can't live in a free republic unless we know our votes are legal and secure."

She said voters Georgia must adopt voter identification and paper ballots – both which are already utilized in the state – as well as thumbprints on absentee ballots.

At one point, Wood led chants of "Do your job!" aimed at U.S. Attorney General William Barr, who told the Associated Press this week that his department found no evidence of widespread voter fraud that could have changed the outcome of the election.

Gabriel Sterling, Georgia's voting implementation system manager, said, "We encourage all voters to vote in an election" in response to the pleas from Wood and Powell.

He said Powell lied when she said algorithms flipped votes, noting that a hand recount of the results reaffirmed Biden won the election by more than 12,000 votes.

Sterling also said Powell lied when, in response to a question from the crowd, she accused the Georgia secretary of state's office of not conducting an actual hand recount.

"They lied to the people who are believing them to their face," he said. "It's this kind of lying and this kind of rhetoric that is continuing to inflame passions on the ground unnecessarily, and it's wrong."

Hopefully this gets to Trump and he internalizes that the Senators aren't going to bat for him, so why should he reciprocate?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I really hope this becomes a thing and help makes the difference.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I really wonder how the party will react if they lose these two races due to depressed turnout.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Charlz Guybon posted:

I really wonder how the party will react if they lose these two races due to depressed turnout.

Sidney Powell is having a Ben Carson in 2013 moment right now and can probably run and win for some kind of office at this point. She’s becoming a cult figure for the chuds

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nachos posted:

Sidney Powell is having a Ben Carson in 2013 moment right now and can probably run and win for some kind of office at this point. She’s becoming a cult figure for the chuds

She going to campaign on the platform of vote for me on these rigged vote machines that won't let me win?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Hopefully this gets to Trump and he internalizes that the Senators aren't going to bat for him, so why should he reciprocate?

Powell wouldn't have been fired if this had an iota of a chance of happening.

Anyways, the two grifters-of-a-grifter are probably not going to be able to drown out Trump campaigning with Loeffler & Chicken Tenders. She's clearly working off parasitic clout as Rogue Defender of Trump, which will likely have a diminished return when they're actively working towards opposite goals.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Powell wouldn't have been fired if this had an iota of a chance of happening.

Anyways, the two grifters-of-a-grifter are probably not going to be able to drown out Trump campaigning with Loeffler & Chicken Tenders. She's clearly working off parasitic clout as Rogue Defender of Trump, which will likely have a diminished return when they're actively working towards opposite goals.

I don't see trump campaigning with them. I see him doing nothing but still harping on this I WON THE ELECTION horseshit until he's out of office.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I don't see trump campaigning with them. I see him doing nothing but still harping on this I WON THE ELECTION horseshit until he's out of office.

It'll be like that campaign stop with Martha McSally where he had her up with him for literally 1 minute an was like "they're not here for you"

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/12/02/trump-allies-urge-georgia-republicans-sit-out-senate-runoffs/3800126001/

The knives are already out for Lin Wood, Brietbart is going after him, but the MAGA Cinematic Universe has him cast as a good guy fighting the good fight so this one is going to be hilarious

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

VitalSigns posted:

what year decade is it

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With all the fuckery that DeJoy has done to the postal service I've been weary of doing vote by mail just yet. Would love to in the future.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

what year decade is it

Right now?

2020, why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Coredump posted:

With all the fuckery that DeJoy has done to the postal service I've been weary of doing vote by mail just yet. Would love to in the future.

I was as well, but it seems like even with that fuckery we ended up turning Georgia Blue in the Presidential election and may do it in the congressional run-off, too. Most of that was via vote by mail/absentee ballot.