Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Papercut posted:

Most apartment buildings already ban indoor smoking, cannabis or not.

That's true and after this ordinance becomes law they can also send the cops after their tenants and use the city to nail them with a $1,000 a day fine.

Most apartment use will of course continue unabated, negating the supposed public health benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i agree with the ban in principal but it seems like its largely unenforceable in practicality (and if it is enforced it will almost certainly be used to harass the poor/minorities)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

That's true and after this ordinance becomes law they can also send the cops after their tenants and use the city to nail them with a $1,000 a day fine.

Most apartment use will of course continue unabated, negating the supposed public health benefits.

The cops aren't responsible for enforcement, per your own article. It's not a criminal offense.

quote:

If passed, San Francisco would join 63 other California cities — including Alameda, Berkeley, Santa Clara and Santa Rosa — and counties with a similar ban.

The Department of Public Health would be responsible for enforcing the new law. Yee said the department will first try to educate those who violate the law and also provide them with smoking cessation resources. But repeat offenders could face fines up to $1,000 a day.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kuvo posted:

i agree with the ban in principal but it seems like its largely unenforceable in practicality (and if it is enforced it will almost certainly be used to harass the poor/minorities)

Like ousting tenants because their landlord "smelled smoke" while passing by? I'm having a hard time imagining what else the law would be used for if not that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Arguments in favor:

1) gently caress smokers

Arguments against:

1) gently caress landlords

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Weembles posted:

Like ousting tenants because their landlord "smelled smoke" while passing by? I'm having a hard time imagining what else the law would be used for if not that.

In most cases these landlords can already throw you out (eventually) for smoking in violation of their own rules. But now they can also sic a public health official of some sort on you as well, and of course the recorded violation of public health policy (rather than just contract terms) is probably useful for nailing tenants at eviction hearings as well.

The "good news" is that 99% of people smoking or vaping at their apartment (or on their balconies) will assuredly be able to continue to do so without any changes because they just won't get caught, which sort of undermines the supposed public health benefits of the ban.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

massive unemployment and homeless crisis, the economy is ruined, and going outside could kill you. if ever there was time to stay inside and smoke weed it's now, but nope, let's drop a $1000 fine on some dude already facing eviction for toking up.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Cruel indifference, not just a Republican pastime!

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
How about SF Democrats decide to let people live their lives and focus on more important things, christ.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Because people are obviously having poor health outcomes, and actually meaningfully addressing those would require proactive social policies that require income and thus taxes. Therefore, you issue penalties on people in the hopes that additional austerity will be just the shot in the arm they needed to stop being poor and sick.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's certainly a thing to ban renters from smoking weed in their own homes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's so loving bleak that mainstream Democrats are mostly in the business of passing sumptuary laws.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kenning posted:

Because people are obviously having poor health outcomes, and actually meaningfully addressing those would require proactive social policies that require income and thus taxes. Therefore, you issue penalties on people in the hopes that additional austerity will be just the shot in the arm they needed to stop being poor and sick.

Yeah the entire notion seems to come from the Bloomberg school of thought. 1) identify a real problem 2) consider the array of possible ways to address with that problem 3) ignore any of the options with an associated fiscal cost to the state but frantically enact those that simply impose restrictions, bans, penalties, etc. 4) the problem persists because the no-cost solutions are either totally meaningless or effectively unenforceable but we at least make a bunch of people into petty criminals.

It also reminds me a bit of the truancy law CA flirted with (in which we send parents of truant students to jail). Truancy is also a real problem with real (and likely costly) solutions, but we went with the free option that utilizes an existing mechanism like a crude bludgeon because then at least we can say we tried something.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So it's illegal to smoke in public areas, common areas, hallways or stairways, potentially in your own apartment or condominium with three or more units, at work, in any indoor bar/restaurant/store unless it's a smoking club or tobacco shop, or outside within fifteen feet of any doorway...

How very nice of them to make it only legal for the landed gentry to smoke, I guess. :wtc:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sumptuary laws. It's feudal legislation in a modern form.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Speaking of SF the federal corruption probe continues and Harlan Kelly, the Public Utilities Commission director got arrested and resigned from his job. His wife is the City Administrator (highest ranking non elected official) and they are heavily connected to Willie Brown and Mayor London Breed so who knows where this may go next.

Basically Harlan Kelly was taking bribes and steering bids towards a contractor. Their whole family took a trip to Hong Kong and China paid for by the contractor.

https://missionlocal.org/2020/11/puc-boss-harlan-kelly-arested-by-feds-charged-in-bribery-scheme/

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 1, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pinche Rudo posted:

Speaking of SF the federal corruption probe continues and Harlan Kelly, the Public Utilities Commission director got arrested and resigned from his job. His wife is the City Administrator (highest ranking non elected official) and they are heavily connected to Willie Brown and Mayor London Breed so who knows where this may go next.

Basically Harlan Kelly was taking bribes and steering bids towards a contractor. Their whole family took a trip to Hong Kong and China paid for by the contractor.

https://missionlocal.org/2020/11/puc-boss-harlan-kelly-arested-by-feds-charged-in-bribery-scheme/

I remain disappointed that Edwin Lee died before he could be locked up.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/1333634377683648512?s=20

we gotta start making movies again!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

Arguments in favor:

1) gently caress smokers

Arguments against:

1) gently caress landlords

*guy sweating in front of two buttons*

Centrist Committee posted:

Cruel indifference, not just a Republican pastime!

Bizarro Watt posted:

How about SF Democrats decide to let people live their lives and focus on more important things, christ.

"gently caress everyone else, I do what I want" is also a common Republican pastime (see: "I don't want to wear a mask"). Reaching the hand of the law into people's homes to slap them for their recreational pastimes is hardly a desirable solution, but smoking affects more people than just you even if you do it in your own home, if your own home is connected to a bunch of other peoples' homes who don't smoke. I think it's equally unreasonable to dismiss non-smokers who don't want to be exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes by their neighbors. I have no judgment on this bill one way or the other, but I think "I gotta live my life!" is just as stupid and reactionary as you think stopping people from smoking is.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kenning posted:

It's so loving bleak that mainstream Democrats are mostly in the business of passing sumptuary laws.
Rent control is a sumptuary law

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Someone show me the research on second hand vape in neighboring apartments

And for that matter, second hand vape health impacts relative to second hand smoke

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"gently caress everyone else, I do what I want" is also a common Republican pastime (see: "I don't want to wear a mask"). Reaching the hand of the law into people's homes to slap them for their recreational pastimes is hardly a desirable solution, but smoking affects more people than just you even if you do it in your own home, if your own home is connected to a bunch of other peoples' homes who don't smoke. I think it's equally unreasonable to dismiss non-smokers who don't want to be exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes by their neighbors. I have no judgment on this bill one way or the other, but I think "I gotta live my life!" is just as stupid and reactionary as you think stopping people from smoking is.

I agree, any kind of open flame around a straw man of this size is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just ban it outright then. Everywhere. For everyone. If it's unhealthy enough that second-hand smoke is dangerous to someone in the next apartment (which it is), it's dangerous enough to ban the rich guy with his own SFH from exposing himself to first-hand smoke too. Ban it everywhere, allocate enforcement fines to free cessation treatments for addicts, etc etc. Or perhaps we can add an exception to allow cigar and pipe smoking in wine caves and rooftop restaurants provided they're booked for private parties and aren't open to the general public, and provided that they feature no fewer than one chandelier for every 4 guests.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

*guy sweating in front of two buttons*

some guys weed smoke turning into a smoke creature and crawling through the pipes and vents to strangle a child to death... too hosed up to believe to be honest. someone call the police!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
itt we go balls deep in infighting amongst useless "personal responsibility" poo poo instead of holding the fire to our corporate oppressors / world destroyers. don't do it bro. i know the ciggy sicko smells bad bro, i know dude, but stay on target. i promise the guy smoking some american spirits in your complex isn't going to kill you, but the big shipping boat and/or megacorp toxic waste spill, well, it certainly will.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sundae posted:

So it's illegal to smoke in public areas, common areas, hallways or stairways, potentially in your own apartment or condominium with three or more units, at work, in any indoor bar/restaurant/store unless it's a smoking club or tobacco shop, or outside within fifteen feet of any doorway...

How very nice of them to make it only legal for the landed gentry to smoke, I guess. :wtc:

It excludes outdoor areas so if this passes, the only legal place it would be for people to smoke at my apartment is outside the kitchen doors to all of the units where we the clothes lines are or (if we can ever get covid under control) in an outdoor common separated by a fence from a restaurant's outdoor dining area.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sundae posted:

I'd like to see a colored overlay of a google map of a bay area neighborhood showing this. I imagine most of it would be overlayed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Rent control is a sumptuary law

I would be interested in how you defend this proposition.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
We shall go on to the end, we shall smoke in France,
we shall smoke on the seas and oceans,
we shall smoke with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our ciggies, whatever the cost may be,
we shall smoke on the beaches,
we shall smoke on the landing grounds,
we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets,
we shall smoke in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, these ciggies or large cigars were restricted and banned, then our people beyond the seas, buying and vaping by the street, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sundae posted:

Just ban it outright then. Everywhere. For everyone. If it's unhealthy enough that second-hand smoke is dangerous to someone in the next apartment (which it is), it's dangerous enough to ban the rich guy with his own SFH from exposing himself to first-hand smoke too. Ban it everywhere, allocate enforcement fines to free cessation treatments for addicts, etc etc. Or perhaps we can add an exception to allow cigar and pipe smoking in wine caves and rooftop restaurants provided they're booked for private parties and aren't open to the general public, and provided that they feature no fewer than one chandelier for every 4 guests.

Yeah it's this. A ban on smoking in apartments that is enforced by a fine is essentially only a smoking ban for the poor. If you want to ban smoking then just ban loving smoking.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's this. A ban on smoking in apartments that is enforced by a fine is essentially only a smoking ban for the poor. If you want to ban smoking then just ban loving smoking.

A ban on smoking would also be decried as a smoking ban for the poor.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

woah, maybe we shouldn't ban people from using drugs in the safety of their own homes after all?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Depends on how it's done. A ban that is enforced by a fine? Yeah absolutely. A ban that's more focused on holding the tobacco industry and businesses that sell their products responsible for not selling in the city and providing free and easy access to addiction-ending resources and products? I think there are ways to handle it that place less of a burden on the poor but those ways cost money and would piss off the corporate overloards. As things stand though what they're trying to implement is a worthless half measure that is going to result in little to no actual public health benefit but will slap $1000 fines on a lot of people who cannot afford that expense.

I guess you could also make the argument that any type of ban, no matter how progressive in implementation, will result in people smuggling poo poo in and that's easier to do when you've got time and money, but that more strikes at the heart of our society being organized in such a way that everything is harder when you're poor.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
Everyone has an air filter now that we are smoked out 1-2 months of the year, checkmate libs :smuggo: I'm pretty sure I've done more damage to my lungs from leaving my windows open during smokey days than when my neighbors smoke in front of my building.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Generally speaking vice bans are deeply illiberal and a bad idea. I highly doubt that the people who are in favor of various propositions for banning smoking are also in favor of illegal cannabis, illegal prostitution, prohibition of alcohol, etc.

A population-wide reduction in tobacco consumption would probably be a good thing overall. An actual path towards achieving that would be broad investments in healthcare, education (not just anti-smoking education, but education overall), and basic social supports, such as stable housing and nutrition and higher wages. Tobacco use is correlated with stress and anxiety, and investing in reducing how overwhelmingly stressful and exhausting it is to live in America would absolutely have the effect of reducing smoking levels, especially if it was paired with a system of supports for people looking to stop or reduce smoking for health reasons.

However, that's all expensive, and more importantly relies on the idea that government is actually capable of intervening positively in people's lives, which since the 90s the average American elected official has absolutely denied, Democrats included. So instead they pass prohibitions to try and instill some sort of moral fiber in working people to help them resist vice. It's absolute bullshit, and is the pinnacle of neoliberal elite managerialism shot through with smug protestant austerity. It's loving despicable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I guess I should clarify: I'm not arguing for a smoking ban. I'm saying that it is clear that's what the city wants, but they're too chickenshit to do it so they're just going to slap fines on people for the most common smoking venue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

We shall go on to the end, we shall smoke in France,
we shall smoke on the seas and oceans,
we shall smoke with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our ciggies, whatever the cost may be,
we shall smoke on the beaches,
we shall smoke on the landing grounds,
we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets,
we shall smoke in the hills;
we shall never surrender,

What, no modified Aces High lyrics? Lazy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bawfuls posted:

woah, maybe we shouldn't ban people from using drugs in the safety of their own homes after all?

Vaping, absolutely not, at least based on what we know right now. Smoking kills you completely dead and there is no safe way to do it. It's a bad, bad way to take drugs.

Congobongo posted:

Everyone has an air filter now that we are smoked out 1-2 months of the year, checkmate libs :smuggo: I'm pretty sure I've done more damage to my lungs from leaving my windows open during smokey days than when my neighbors smoke in front of my building.

I wonder if someone could argue in court that PG&E is violating the smoking ban

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 1, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I wonder if someone could argue in court that PG&E is violating the smoking ban

How many legal and illegal cannabis grows do each major fire torch?

brb putting a plan to PG&E to hotbox the entire north Bay Area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kenning posted:

I would be interested in how you defend this proposition.
Sumptuary laws are laws prohibiting people from spending more than a certain amount on things, unless they belong to a privileged class. "Only nobles can spend more than 1000 dollars on clothes, only the King can spend more than 5000" is the prototypical example.

The purported benefit is to reduce conspicuous consumption (or at least solve the prisoner's dilemma). In practice, a lot of support for these laws were to keep certain classes out of privilege forever, such as by prohibiting non-noble rich people from joining the fancy-clothes party.

Putting a spending cap on rents, but still allowing a privileged class to buy property outright, sounds an awful lot like sumptuary laws to me.

I'm more interested in why you think sumptuary laws are making a comeback among "mainstream Democrats", unless you just meant to criticize them as being vaguely medieval in their politics