Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i too encourage poor and marginalized people to get into physical altercations with government agents

in adjacent news, the relationship between the qanon estranged parent network and their legal assistance is going as you'd think

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/qanon-mom-accused-murder-man-child-custody

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

i too encourage poor and marginalized people to get into physical altercations with government agents

I encourage everyone, in fairness

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

luxury handset posted:

in adjacent news, the relationship between the qanon estranged parent network and their legal assistance is going as you'd think

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/qanon-mom-accused-murder-man-child-custody

Post that in the epstein thread and you'll have fucker whining about how this is obviously CIA authored, just over the line calling QAnon a collective delusion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It shouldn't be funny but I had to laugh at the clip from Dan Olson's Q video where some guy kidnapped his kids and got in a high speed chase that he livestreamed on Facebook begging for Q to help and he couldn't pronounce "QAnon" right. I guess I assumed everyone that into an insane thing would realize how to say it right at least.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

[quote="Pretty good" post="509900508
I nearly got sent to a wilderness programme/reform school/similar thing when I was 16 and the only reason I didn't was because my mother procrastinated long enough for my school to say State complicity in these operations is enough of a tragedy, but I am kinda quietly melting down at the fact that there are parents who willingly seek them out, still, well over a decade past the internet having become a ubiquitous feature of all of our lives.
[/quote]

Josef bugman posted:

There is, I hope, a very special place in hell for the people running these things.
And another circle of hell who sent their kids there and left 5 star reviews on Yelp. They can research all they want but if they already think that any claims of the worst things are just delinquents starting trouble and they don't see anything wrong or abusive about the rest because that's not how people think if they're the kind of people who see nothing wrong with paying a couple of thugs to black bag their kid at 3 in the morning.

xtal posted:

Hard to believe none of those parents whose children were kidnapped for no reason ended up physically resisting their illegal abductors. You have to give me your infant, I I have paper with the word meth on it!
I would completely understand it, but at the same time I would guess they knew they were doing nothing wrong and weren't going to blow their chance to ever see their kids again by beating up a government agent.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

That woman looks exactly how I was picturing her.

She looks like a Trumpite

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She looks like every suburban late-in-life nurse that decided to get into medicine once her children grew up and were out of the house.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

She looks like every suburban late-in-life nurse that decided to get into medicine once her children grew up and were out of the house.

Mom?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
this exact thing happened in massachusetts, with annie dookhan, for nine years. horrible, horrible people

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It shouldn't be funny but I had to laugh at the clip from Dan Olson's Q video where some guy kidnapped his kids and got in a high speed chase that he livestreamed on Facebook begging for Q to help and he couldn't pronounce "QAnon" right. I guess I assumed everyone that into an insane thing would realize how to say it right at least.

How was he saying it? Kwannon?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

And for the sake of closure, here's the conclusion to the Jack Thompson story.

I'd say this fits more into the realm of unnerving: a grown lawyer throwing down against a bunch of teenage nerds. Be warned, this episode has a high concentration of mass murder and suicide discussion - and if you thought the turn of the millennium would mark the end of Jack's problem with homosexuality, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

How was he saying it? Kwannon?

Q annin.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

xtal posted:

Hard to believe none of those parents whose children were kidnapped for no reason ended up physically resisting their illegal abductors. You have to give me your infant, I I have paper with the word meth on it!

https://twitter.com/MsKellyMHayes/status/1331306771059765250

quote:

Escalating investments in policing are investments in the maintenence of inequality. There are very rough, very dark times ahead. The powerful are insulating and protecting themselves -- from you.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm gonna be so disappointed if a mega disease doesn't get unleashed on humanity.

Quoting for posterity

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

snuggle baby luvs hugs posted:

Quoting for posterity

:negative:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well...... I do hate being disappointed. So every cloud, I guess.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1333729615513325574?s=20

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
These kinds of things hit me the hardest. Especially when it's in a Scandinavian country.
When I was younger I remember the news and people constantly talking about a teenage girl who was found to have been treated as a rape slave by her parents for years. Selling "services" to people living in the small town. So many people knew yet so many didn't.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lots of odd details coming out in the news about that one. Getting a conviction might not be that easy, because apparently he wasn’t technically imprisoned as the door was never locked.

Oh, and it’s been implied that relatives were semi-aware of the situation the entire time.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Comrade Koba posted:

Lots of odd details coming out in the news about that one. Getting a conviction might not be that easy, because apparently he wasn’t technically imprisoned as the door was never locked.

Oh, and it’s been implied that relatives were semi-aware of the situation the entire time.
Wait, does coercion and abuse such that you don't need to lock the door to cow someone you've raised to never leave not count as some form of imprisonment?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

That story just made me remember one within the past couple years that I lost track of just after the news broke. A 20-something guy ended up in a bar that nobody knew and turned out his family had been living on a property that was secluded and no modern amenities, yet the actual owner of the house had cameras on the property and when the story first broke it was speculated that they may have been forced to live there by the owner for "reasons".

Anyone remember this? I'd like to read about what was actually going on once an investigation took place.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PetraCore posted:

Wait, does coercion and abuse such that you don't need to lock the door to cow someone you've raised to never leave not count as some form of imprisonment?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Of course it does. But as far as I’m aware, the legal definition of deprivation of liberty does require that the victim must have been unable to leave of their own volition.

This has some serious mental illness-vibes all over it, and I’m pretty sure whatever we find out in the coming days is going to be worse than we imagined. :smith:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Maybe he was grounded? I hosed up a window in 3rd grade and couldn’t leave the house for three weeks. I snuck out but it sounds like his parents were more strict than mine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sir Not Appearing posted:

That story just made me remember one within the past couple years that I lost track of just after the news broke. A 20-something guy ended up in a bar that nobody knew and turned out his family had been living on a property that was secluded and no modern amenities, yet the actual owner of the house had cameras on the property and when the story first broke it was speculated that they may have been forced to live there by the owner for "reasons".

Anyone remember this? I'd like to read about what was actually going on once an investigation took place.

I remember this vaguely.

It was surprisingly difficult to google with just a vague recollection (mine and yours were basically the same). No cameras, it looks it was the father and the oldest son got out because dad was bedridden.

https://people.com/crime/dutch-farm-house-sibling-visited-bar-before-sharing-story-family-allegedly-held-captive/

E: I think the one with the cameras was Josef Fritzl who kept his daughter locked up in his rape basement for 24 years

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Dec 2, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Comrade Koba posted:

Of course it does. But as far as I’m aware, the legal definition of deprivation of liberty does require that the victim must have been unable to leave of their own volition.

This has some serious mental illness-vibes all over it, and I’m pretty sure whatever we find out in the coming days is going to be worse than we imagined. :smith:
...well, hopefully they're still able to hit the parents with a lot of charges, even if legally imprisonment is out. I mean, this started when he was a minor so that should help with charges, I'd assume.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PetraCore posted:

...well, hopefully they're still able to hit the parents with a lot of charges, even if legally imprisonment is out. I mean, this started when he was a minor so that should help with charges, I'd assume.

We'll see. There only seems to be the one parent (the mother) and she's apparently been living with him in what was implied to be hoarder-like squalor for all these years. Relatives have indicated that she became fiercely overprotective of him due to some incident in his early teens.

My guess is that no one's going to actual prison over this. I just hope the poor guy who's been living isolated in filthy conditions for 30 goddamn years can be sufficiently rehabilitated and be able to have an actual life of his own some day. :smith:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

We'll see. There only seems to be the one parent (the mother) and she's apparently been living with him in what was implied to be hoarder-like squalor for all these years. Relatives have indicated that she became fiercely overprotective of him due to some incident in his early teens.

My guess is that no one's going to actual prison over this. I just hope the poor guy who's been living isolated in filthy conditions for 30 goddamn years can be sufficiently rehabilitated and be able to have an actual life of his own some day. :smith:

From what I heard this AM is that she had an older son who died around 2, and named the younger one, the one that was isolated, after the deceased one. There is also a sister involved, but she wasn’t isolated.

And yeah, I don’t think anyone is going to prison over this, which might be the best for all involved. However where in the goddamn gently caress was social services?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

teen witch posted:

However where in the goddamn gently caress was social services?

Anyone who comes into contact with children while working in schools or healthcare is required by law to inform the authorities if they suspect a child may be in danger. However, a lot of the time, they just...don't.

"Yes, we did notice that the child came to school obviously battered and bruised, and we did also overhear their parent threatening to kill them. However, we decided we didn't feel like informing the police and social services because the parent might get mad and that might just make things worse."

(this is an actual thing that happened, by the way)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is the reason mandatory reporters are a thing, people who are legally required to report anything even hinting at abuse to a relevant authority, presumably liable to get into deep poo poo if they're found not to have.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is the reason mandatory reporters are a thing, people who are legally required to report anything even hinting at abuse to a relevant authority, presumably liable to get into deep poo poo if they're found not to have.

Yes, but part of the the problem is that a lot of those mandatory reporters are usually part of a system that can disincentivize them from reporting if what they have is just a suspicion or a hint.

Reporting something means there could be an investigation, which could make your superiors look bad if it should turn out you possibly could have noticed the signs earlier. If your boss gets in trouble, you're going to get poo poo on for causing it. Maybe it's better to just wait, you know? It could be nothing, kids make poo poo up all the time. It's probably fine. And if it isn't, you can always just pretend you never suspected anything.

It's a system that looks great on paper but often fails as soon as it comes into contact with actual human beings.

EDIT: To illustrate my point, there's some more information in the news regarding the case. Apparently his mother had him taken out of school in 7th grade, which isn't legal and is grounds for immediate reporting. Yet for some reason, out of five interviewed school supervisors that worked in the system at the time, not one of them can remember anything at all about the case or why nothing was done about it.

Comrade Koba has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Dec 2, 2020

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Sir Not Appearing posted:

The place was called Ruinerwold, so if you google 'Ruinerwold family' you'll find some english language articles i bet.

From a Dutch article of september this year it seems that the children have been moved and given new identities to protect them. They younger kids seem to be upset about being separated from their dad, whereas the older kids are angry at their father and the isolation he imposed. Dad is in prison, but he had a stroke in 2016 so he doesn't really communicate all that well anymore. He pleads not guilty.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Comrade Koba posted:

To illustrate my point, there's some more information in the news regarding the case. Apparently his mother had him taken out of school in 7th grade, which isn't legal and is grounds for immediate reporting. Yet for some reason, out of five interviewed school supervisors that worked in the system at the time, not one of them can remember anything at all about the case or why nothing was done about it.
Yeah. My son dropped out of school at 15 because of severe health issues. Nobody in the school system followed up to make sure he was being instructed. In my state, kids can't legally drop out unless either they've passed an exam (which was never offered) or they are 18. (We did what was possible to keep him schooled under the circs.)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Broey Deschanel made a neat video on Miyazaki and Romanticism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbJeGN0SbM

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

Reporting something means there could be an investigation, which could make your superiors look bad if it should turn out you possibly could have noticed the signs earlier. If your boss gets in trouble, you're going to get poo poo on for causing it. Maybe it's better to just wait, you know? It could be nothing, kids make poo poo up all the time. It's probably fine. And if it isn't, you can always just pretend you never suspected anything.

If you're speaking from personal experience, ignore me because this is not something I've come into contact with in my professional life, but I have heard from teachers who have reported concerns and either nothing at all was done about it (bad) or there was an investigation that the parent was made aware of that was fruitless (worse). In the second case, the abuse could get worse if the parent blamed the child for the report.

From more personal experience, way back in high school I was a dorky peer counselor, mostly because I thought it would be a free 'A.' I spoke regularly with about 8 kids who were in really abusive homes. The first time someone told me that they were being abused, I sent it up the ladder to the (adult) coordinator who supervised us. Her advice? "Get them to 18." The state and county I lived in really did not want to separate kids from their biological families and besides, foster care could end up being worse than their current situation. So I tried to be a safe ear for them and help a little with coping strategies they could use to survive until they were adults. Some of them were freshmen. I had no experience with that kind of home and was a child myself, so as I write this I'm realizing how hosed up it was that a) I was in that position with those kids and b) the school extended a hand to help, then said "sorry, we don't want to make your lovely life worse. Be abused until you're legally not a kid anymore. Then if you want, you can move out (you'll have to figure that part out on your own), but you won't be a minor anymore so we won't have to be involved." The only time I was able to get action taken was when an abused kid told me he was suicidal, had a plan, and a date chosen. I ran into him a few years later at a supermarket and he brought it up and told me that the place they sent him was way worse than his situation at home. When I asked if he was doing better, he said "not really." So maybe we did the bare minimum by preventing him from committing suicide, but we really didn't give him the help a kid in distress deserves.

I don't know where the main point of failure was. The county, for not offering better options to kids in distress? The school, for not providing more assistance than one adult and four students? I actually have no idea if the school was reporting anything I told them. I never filled out a form or provided information for any kind of report, just informed the coordinator believing she would handle it. I recall around this time I was thinking about going to school for social work, but my friend's sister who worked in the field talked me out of it. In her experience, she said you could help about 5% of the kids assigned to you, but no amount of blood, sweat, or tears would improve the outcomes of the other 95%. That's depressing as hell.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BrianRx posted:

If you're speaking from personal experience, ignore me because this is not something I've come into contact with in my professional life, but I have heard from teachers who have reported concerns and either nothing at all was done about it (bad) or there was an investigation that the parent was made aware of that was fruitless (worse). In the second case, the abuse could get worse if the parent blamed the child for the report.

Yes, that is indeed something that can happen. However, unless you're an actual social worker or other similar authority, that isn't your call to make. You're legally required to make the report and hand the matter over to the people who specialize in handling this sort of thing. But like I said in my previous post, for a lot of people this is easier said than done.

BrianRx posted:

From more personal experience, way back in high school I was a dorky peer counselor, mostly because I thought it would be a free 'A.' I spoke regularly with about 8 kids who were in really abusive homes. The first time someone told me that they were being abused, I sent it up the ladder to the (adult) coordinator who supervised us. Her advice? "Get them to 18." The state and county I lived in really did not want to separate kids from their biological families and besides, foster care could end up being worse than their current situation. So I tried to be a safe ear for them and help a little with coping strategies they could use to survive until they were adults. Some of them were freshmen. I had no experience with that kind of home and was a child myself, so as I write this I'm realizing how hosed up it was that a) I was in that position with those kids and b) the school extended a hand to help, then said "sorry, we don't want to make your lovely life worse. Be abused until you're legally not a kid anymore. Then if you want, you can move out (you'll have to figure that part out on your own), but you won't be a minor anymore so we won't have to be involved." The only time I was able to get action taken was when an abused kid told me he was suicidal, had a plan, and a date chosen. I ran into him a few years later at a supermarket and he brought it up and told me that the place they sent him was way worse than his situation at home. When I asked if he was doing better, he said "not really." So maybe we did the bare minimum by preventing him from committing suicide, but we really didn't give him the help a kid in distress deserves.

I don't know where the main point of failure was. The county, for not offering better options to kids in distress? The school, for not providing more assistance than one adult and four students? I actually have no idea if the school was reporting anything I told them. I never filled out a form or provided information for any kind of report, just informed the coordinator believing she would handle it. I recall around this time I was thinking about going to school for social work, but my friend's sister who worked in the field talked me out of it. In her experience, she said you could help about 5% of the kids assigned to you, but no amount of blood, sweat, or tears would improve the outcomes of the other 95%. That's depressing as hell.

This is obviously something that varies enormously depending on where you live, and I understand conditions in the US can range from horrible to somewhat decent depending on local legislation. At least that's my impression?

FWIW with regards to your story, I don't think you did anything wrong. You obviously did the best you could given the particular circumstances, and no matter the outcomes I don't think it's fair to blame you for being having that sort of responsibility thrust upon you while still being a child yourself.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1334476310970765312?s=19

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sarcopenia posted:

Broey Deschanel made a neat video on Miyazaki and Romanticism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbJeGN0SbM

Wrong thread brah.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944685&pagenumber=63#lastpost

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's a Stockholm Syndrome joke in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
From personal experience, it's really scary having authority involved with your abuse because usually it will go nowhere and then the abuser will use it against you for both physical and emotional punishment.

I don't know what the correct response is for abusive homes and I don't know what the point of posting this was. Sorry.